Simple density tweak

Search This thread

bonstio

Jan 10, 2011
This is such a simple tweak but I figured I'd share it any how...

It always amazes me how there's this badass high res screen but it ships with everything scaled up which just doesn't take any advantage of the number of pixels available.

I messed around with a few values of the "ro.sf.lcd_density" property in /system/build.prop and settled for 320 (default is 480). It does make a little on the small side but you can offset this with the regular Settings -> Display -> Font size option.

The result, is for me at least, a great improvement. I can see most of my apps in the drawer without scrolling, can see and actually read a whole website without zooming in plus the system and nav bars top and bottom now take up a much more reasonable amount of space.

Install your favorite root enabled File Explorer and mount system RW and go edit. I like http://goo.gl/NvtA8 as it runs as su & mounts system for you.

Last edited:

Kallb123

Jun 23, 2010
After getting stuck in a bootloop by using one of those dpi changer apps I've plucked up the courage to try again. This time I edited the build.prop myself and it worked.

It looks crazy :eek: I think I could get used to this though :p

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

frocee

Sep 23, 2010
wow this is amazing. i always wondered why they scale it up, now i can tweak it myself. thanks!

kchino

Mar 11, 2008
I'm hoping that at some point someone ports Paranoid Android for the Z it will be amazing! (please, please, please!). But can someone who's applied this upload some screenshots (Settings, Notification shade, etc)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: kazuni

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
After getting stuck in a bootloop by using one of those dpi changer apps I've plucked up the courage to try again. This time I edited the build.prop myself and it worked.

It looks crazy :eek: I think I could get used to this though :p

How about the camera app
Are the controls offset?

Kallb123

Jun 23, 2010
Here's some screen shots
320 DPI, font size is normal. With small font size everything is tiny :p

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363334699129.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363334699129.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,539
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363334729818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363334729818.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3,493
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363334738959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363334738959.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3,269
Reactions: laleiz and kchino

Kallb123

Jun 23, 2010
Just found the phone app doesn't scale correctly.
The buttons work, but graphics are messed up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363362450483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363362450483.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,490

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
R: Simple density tweak

I suggest you to try with the value 400: I've been using it since I got the phone and is great! A lot of space but still usable everyday. But sadly this is not a stock value ( 480 320 240 and 160 are stock afaik) and this will break play store compatibility: to fix it you have to flash a multi dpi play store mod.
And yes, the phone app does not scale properly but it's not really an issue..

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Last edited:

DeiphoneaAndroid

Aug 11, 2010
Tried with 320 , but I got a boot loop. Locked Z , with root and CWM .

I think I will have to reflash it from the PC companion to recover it.

bonstio

Jan 10, 2011
Very strange. What does adb logcat say during your bootloop? Sure you didn't b0rk the file some how?

DeiphoneaAndroid

Aug 11, 2010
I did not look at the adb, but I'm thinking the same thing, I thing somehow the file just got corrupted ...

also after I mount R/w , twice the screen got black, reboot, root explorer, R/w and everything ok.

Once I flash with PC companion , and root it again I will try again :fingers-crossed:

Anyhow I tried also a couple of days ago with a dpi changer and the result was the same .

Last edited:

Kallb123

Jun 23, 2010
I did not look at the adb, but I'm thinking the same thing, I thing somehow the file just got corrupted ...

also after I mount R/w , twice the screen got black, reboot, root explorer, R/w and everything ok.

Once I flash with PC companion , and root it again I will try again :fingers-crossed:

Anyhow I tried also a couple of days ago with a dpi changer and the result was the same .

I used a dpi changer a few days ago and got a bootloop. This time I simply used ES FilevL Explorer and enabled root functions. Didn't need to mount anything, just change number, save and reboot :)

I suggest you to try with the value 400: I've been using it since I got the phone and is great! A lot of space but still usable everyday. But sadly this is not a stock value ( 480 320 240 and 160 are stock afaik) and this will break play store compatibility: to fix it you have to flash a multi dpi play store mod.
And yes, the phone app does not scale properly but it's not really an issue..

Seems like a big gap between 320 and 480 :/
I've been thinking if using 400, as I did try on my way down to 320 abd it looked alright, but now I know it's not stock I'm not sure. Also, would we get tablet interfaces on 400 dpi?
I opened up imdb and was greeted by a nice tablet interface :) kinda don't want to give it up :/

Kallb123

Jun 23, 2010
For apps that don't scale such as dialer I use xposed and app settings module.

Been using 380dpi for a while that works ok

Will 380dpi give us a tablet interface or do we need to go all the way to 320 for that?

grievous2004

Oct 23, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Set the dpi per app to the original 480 for each of the particular app such as contacts (dialer), contacts import, phone, phone contacts and phone storage and semc task switcher.
which don't scale properly at a lower res.

To install it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39145237

Well... THANK YOU! It's almost like being on Paranoid!! You can set per app dpi, font dimension (scale) and layout (screen dp) so I can get tablet layout in the apps I'm interested while keeping the global interface (navbar and notification bar) at the desired dpi.

shulmus

Aug 16, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Set the dpi per app to the original 480 for each of the particular app such as contacts (dialer), contacts import, phone, phone contacts and phone storage and semc task switcher.

To install it

Pls pls pls share your settings for exposed, meaning all the packages with modified settings list with the applied parameters. Would be worth a million thanks.

Story is i've applied 320 dpi via build prop and everything is perfect but the dialer is coorupt. So i installed xposed and the module, hanged the dpi for the phone and contacts apps to 480, but when i open the dialer, it has ne dial button and the soft keyboard pops up...

Once again, i would really appreciate if one of you gus who reported everything to work ok could share all the relavant details i/o for me to reproduce.

Cheers

Sent from my Z using xda premium

flamingsamurai

Nov 8, 2009
Pls pls pls share your settings for exposed, meaning all the packages with modified settings list with the applied parameters. Would be worth a million thanks.

Story is i've applied 320 dpi via build prop and everything is perfect but the dialer is coorupt. So i installed xposed and the module, hanged the dpi for the phone and contacts apps to 480, but when i open the dialer, it has ne dial button and the soft keyboard pops up...

Once again, i would really appreciate if one of you gus who reported everything to work ok could share all the relavant details i/o for me to reproduce.

Cheers

Sent from my Z using xda premium

I got these set to 480 and the dialer looks pretty good for me:

Contacts
Contacts Import
Contacts storage
Phone
Phone Contact
Phone/Messaging Storage
Recent Calls

I'm not sure how many of these actually relate to what you're seeing on screen, someone else will hopefully clear that up, but at the moment this is what is working for me.

Reactions: shulmus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is such a simple tweak but I figured I'd share it any how...

It always amazes me how there's this badass high res screen but it ships with everything scaled up which just doesn't take any advantage of the number of pixels available.

I messed around with a few values of the "ro.sf.lcd_density" property in /system/build.prop and settled for 320 (default is 480). It does make a little on the small side but you can offset this with the regular Settings -> Display -> Font size option.

The result, is for me at least, a great improvement. I can see most of my apps in the drawer without scrolling, can see and actually read a whole website without zooming in plus the system and nav bars top and bottom now take up a much more reasonable amount of space.

Install your favorite root enabled File Explorer and mount system RW and go edit. I like http://goo.gl/NvtA8 as it runs as su & mounts system for you.
    Here's some screen shots
    320 DPI, font size is normal. With small font size everything is tiny :p

Phonebook / dialer good at 361 dpi

Ok. Boys and Girls.

i've succeeded at making the phonebook aka the dialer look normal at 361 dpi.
    this is to be pushed to system/app with setting the rw-r--r-- permissions as usual.

this is tested to work on stock odex rooted generic 434 f/w. the phonebook seems to be deodexed in stock

anyways, have fun

ps as a bonus i've enabled the speed dial function (as in hold a digit to quick dial a predefined tel)

cheers

ps many thanks to all the ppl who helped me figure out how to do this
    I'm hoping that at some point someone ports Paranoid Android for the Z it will be amazing! (please, please, please!). But can someone who's applied this upload some screenshots (Settings, Notification shade, etc)? Thanks in advance!

To install it