[*WORKING*] **Ubuntu on Vibrant** UPDATE:11/05/10

Search This thread

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
UPDATE: So here is the link to a better version of Ubuntu running on your Vibrant. I do not have much time yet to edit the original post, but take a look at the this. You should be able to get it to work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=823370

OLD:

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE!! YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ok, so for those who like to push the limits with their phones I don't think it gets better then this :)

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this possible. We had gotten a lot of good posts.

But a big thanks goes out to danielmid84, he provided me with the link http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/ and a custom modified script to work with our phones, thank you!!

UBUNTU on Vibrant

INSTRUCTIONS

Prerequisites:

Root
Latest version of BusyBox
Android SDK ( and knowledge of how to use the tools, adb shell, etc... )
Understanding of Linux commands ( but not necessary )

Files needed are located here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L
BootUbuntu script modded by danielmid84 here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385853&stc=1&d=1282503588 NOTE: This file replaces the BootUbuntu file located in the archive above.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Step 1:

Connect your phone to the computer and mount your internal storage sdcard (Not your external sdcard).

Step 2:

Now create a new folder under sdcard named "ubuntu" for instance "/sdcard/ubuntu/" and copy ALL of the files in the "ubuntu.zip" archive over to this newly created folder EXCEPT the BootUbuntu file. You will be copying over the BootUbuntu file over from the additional BootUbuntu file link provided above.

Step 3:

Now that we have all of the files in place, make sure to "Turn off USB storage" on your phone to be able t access the SD card from ADB Shell. Also make sure your "USB Debugging Mode" is check under "Settings>Applications>Developement".

Step 4:

We are going to want a windows terminal open and we are going to "cd" into your "/tools" folder, wherever that may be located. For example " cd c:\android\sdk\tools".
Once you are in the "tools" folder, issue this command "adb shell". And for linux users, you will be issuing the command as "./adb shell".

Step 5:

Once you are in ADB Shell, you should see a "#" symbol now.
You are then going to type "su" to enter superuser mode.

Step 6:

We are going to cd into the ubuntu folder by issuing the command "cd /sdcard/ubuntu".
Now that we are located in "/sdcard/ubuntu" we will issue the command "sh ./ubuntu.sh"
This command only needs to be entered once, or if you ever change the file "bootubuntu".

Step 7:

Once that is completed, issue the command "bootubuntu".
If you get the "localhost" prompt, you have just successfully installed UBUNTU onto your Vibrant. Congratulations!!!

Now mind you, this is not with a Graphical User Interface yet and but you can access the power of Linux and Ubuntu by using a Terminal Emulator.

But if you want a running Graphical User Interface to play with, keep in mind that is uses a lot of memory and continue reading :) and I will have that updated here shortly.

Step 8:

We are now going to install a GUI.
While still being in Ubuntu with the "localhost" prompt, issue the command "apt-get update".
Then issue the command "apt-get install tightvncserver".

Step 9:

Once that is complete, you are going to want to issue the command "apt-get install lxde". This will take a few minutes so let it do its thing.

Step 10:

Next we are going to type:

"export USER=root" then
"vncserver -geometry 1024x800" but you can change the display size to what you prefer.

You will be asked to set a password at this time for login.

Step 11:

Next we are going to add the following commands to /root/.vnc/xstartup.

Now type:

"cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup" it will seem like it is hanging after you push enter, but it is only waiting for additional input. So continue by entering
"#!/bin/sh"
"xrdb $HOME/.Xresources"
"xsetroot -solid grey"
"icewm &"
"lxsession"

Then hit Ctrl+D twice and Enter key.

Step 12:

Now open the Android VNC app on your phone with "localhost" as "address" and "5901" as "port". Enter your password as well and connect!! You will now have a GUI for your Ubuntu!

REMEMBER: EACH TIME YOU WANT TO LOGIN TO YOUR UBUNTU, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. YOU CAN USE TERMINAL EMULATOR.

This is only for full phone reboots to set up Ubuntu again.

Start Terminal Emulator and cd into "/sdcard/ubuntu"
Then issue these commands:

"su"
"export USER=root"
"vncserver -geometry 1024x800"

and you should be able to log back into the GUI with Android VNC again.

Attachments

• bootubuntu.zip
    731 bytes · Views: 887
Last edited:
Reactions: fatihaky

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
Can I ask what "debain" is? For all of us new guys..

Sent from my Vibrant using XDA App..
Typos/Nonsense due to Swype!
Stock Root + RyanZA LagFix + Captive Camera MOD

freekyfrogy

Aug 10, 2009
Virginia
yeah man, I'm pretty surprised too that no one else is interested in this! I would love to see debian get ported to work on our phones :)

For those who are asking, debian is a version of desktop Linux. When it works on our phones, it will essentially allow you to do almost anything you can normally do on a desktop computer. :)

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the link! This looks luke it would be amazing.. I hope we can eventually get this...

Sent from my Vibrant using XDA App..
Typos/Nonsense due to Swype!
Stock Root + RyanZA LagFix + Captive Camera MOD

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
It's all good and dandy, someone has ported Ubuntu to N1 back in a day, but the question remains:
Why would you want to run a full fledge Linux OS on your phone?
I am a linux user, and have been for quite some time, I do enjoy it on my work laptop with 14.1" of real estate, but I fail to see a huge benefit of running a complete OS on the phone.
And before everyone starts with "you know android is linux" I know that, and it is stripped down linux OS for portable devices like phones, etc. It is as good as it gets, and suits the portable device market well.
Please feel free to address my question:

xspeed9190

Jan 22, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It's all good and dandy, someone has ported Ubuntu to N1 back in a day, but the question remains:
I am a linux user, and have been for quite some time, I do enjoy it on my work laptop with 14.1" of real estate, but I fail to see a huge benefit of running a complete OS on the phone.
And before everyone starts with "you know android is linux" I know that, and it is stripped down linux OS for portable devices like phones, etc. It is as good as it gets, and suits the portable device market well.

I was thinking the same thing. Its kinda a party piece. Look at what my phone can do. You know. I had it on my N1 and i never used it. Just like we could have windows 95 on the HD2. The only good thing i used it for on the N1 was air-crack, and i never got it to work right.

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
Yeah, I find it a shame that some people think debian on a phone is simply a party peice. There are too many useful reasons to list, especially the reason to have a smart phone is to expand the abilities past just "a cellphone"

scrizz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
Tampa, FL

The real question is why not....
:p

I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts in the xda forums.
why would you want camera on a phone?
why would you play games on a phone?
why would you read webpages on a phone?
why would you text on a phone?
why would you listen to music on a phone?
why would you want to go to the moon?

Is it affecting you in some way?
does someone sacrifice a kitten somewhere when someone wants to use a device for something it was not intended to?
do you enjoy stifling development?

Yeah, I find it a shame that some people think debian on a phone is simply a party peice. There are too many useful reasons to list, especially the reason to have a smart phone is to expand the abilities past just "a cellphone"

good man
:)

almyz125

Aug 14, 2009
Albany, NY
The real question is why not....
:p

I'm sick and tired of all the negative posts in the xda forums.
why would you want camera on a phone?
why would you play games on a phone?
why would you read webpages on a phone?
why would you text on a phone?
why would you listen to music on a phone?
why would you want to go to the moon?

Is it affecting you in some way?
does someone sacrifice a kitten somewhere when someone wants to use a device for something it was not intended to?
do you enjoy stifling development?

good man
:)

Agreed, why not explore the possibilities...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
And why drive the nails down with a screwdriver?
There is no negativity coming from my question, I just needed to hear the reason people choose to run linux on their phones.
Developing a code for android phones on the phone running full linux, ok I failed to see the benefit, unless you get a hard-on from running a compiler on your phone while on a crapper. I would see how I might benefit from using some of the linux commands on my phone, like tcpdump, etc. but running a full raw OS on it is just overkill in my opinion.

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
And why drive the nails down with a screwdriver?
There is no negativity coming from my question, I just needed to hear the reason people choose to run linux on their phones.
Developing a code for android phones on the phone running full linux, ok I failed to see the benefit, unless you get a hard-on from running a compiler on your phone while on a crapper. I would see how I might benefit from using some of the linux commands on my phone, like tcpdump, etc. but running a full raw OS on it is just overkill in my opinion.

To probably sum it all up... MOBILITY.

First, I am sure you have several games on your phone which you play frequently. Some of those which you could play on your computer, and some maybe only on the device. If you could play games on your computer, why would you want to play them on your phone?

Virtually everything you can do on your phone you can do on your computer, ten times better. The reason we have Office Suites, Calendars that sync, Games, CAMERA!!!!, Photo Editing Tools, etc. etc. etc... the list goes on and on, is to do it mobile.

No offense, but your question is pretty ignorant.
"I just needed to hear a reason people choose to run linux on their phones"
as an answer is funny as hell if you ask me,lol. :)

I think if you have nothing productive to contribute other than asking meaningless questions which is plainly obvious, especially in a forum like this, then don't post anything at all.

Only my $0.02

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
To probably sum it all up... MOBILITY.

First, I am sure you have several games on your phone which you play frequently. Some of those which you could play on your computer, and some maybe only on the device. If you could play games on your computer, why would you want to play them on your phone?

Virtually everything you can do on your phone you can do on your computer, ten times better. The reason we have Office Suites, Calendars that sync, Games, CAMERA!!!!, Photo Editing Tools, etc. etc. etc... the list goes on and on, is to do it mobile.

No offense, but your question is pretty ignorant.

as an answer is funny as hell if you ask me,lol. :)

I think if you have nothing productive to contribute other than asking meaningless questions which is plainly obvious, especially in a forum like this, then don't post anything at all.

Only my $0.02

Why my question is ignorant? I am coming from a development stand point, what android (a linux port for smartphones and mobile tablets) does not do well that the full linux OS can address? I am curious... I've seen some embeded linux systems that are running the OS that requires to complete the task - packet sniffers for instance - I am pretty sure you can run the full OS on it, but it is overkill. I understand that the smartphones are our mobile gateways when we are away from computers, and as they stand right now I failed to see what the full OS can contribute to the whole mobile experience. Games? Well, now you have the whole android community asking when the cadega becomes available on android so that you can run Call of Duty, etc. on your phone.
And as far as me not contributing and asking the meaningless questions - when you come to the development board and demand that something needs to be ported on your device a developer will ask you my question:
Why do you need it? What benefits are you looking for?
So, I still to hear the answer to these questions besides the fun factor to show your co-workers look I have a penguin on my boot screen.

angryPirate12

Jan 14, 2009
Canton, OH
Look at it from this standpoint, every major phone release has hardware that can rival netbooks and ultra-portables, when the dual-core snapdragons hit later on, they may even be on par with low end notebooks. They contain cellular modems as well as wifi so you're constantly connected on a device that can fit in your pocket.

On the software side every major mobile operating system out there is constantly evolving and adding more and more features of that you can find on any PC/Linux/OSX box in the world. Albeit they're slimmed down versions, designed to be lightweight and functional on a smaller sized screen.

Add in google voice, a service that you can have your cell phone calls funneled into a single number or have your google voice number funneled into any other phone number you tell it to, plus you have skype. Installing Debian on a mobile device doesnt change the fact its still a cell phone the only it changes is how much this cell phone can do without restrictions.

Its the people who push software and hardware to there limits and into places they were never designed to be, that push the technology world and push the companies to do new things. There the pioneers who are trying to marry the inevitable before anyone else is ready. Those are the people who make companies like Google, Nokia, Intel, etc etc realize that there is potential in a risk, when there is a community ready to back them up. If it wasn't for the indie developers out there trying to minimalize linux to be used on cell phones we wouldn't have our beloved Android today.

You ask why, I'll answer because its inevitable. You can join the front lines or you can wait.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: So here is the link to a better version of Ubuntu running on your Vibrant. I do not have much time yet to edit the original post, but take a look at the this. You should be able to get it to work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=823370

OLD:

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE!! YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ok, so for those who like to push the limits with their phones I don't think it gets better then this :)

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this possible. We had gotten a lot of good posts.

But a big thanks goes out to danielmid84, he provided me with the link http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/ and a custom modified script to work with our phones, thank you!!

UBUNTU on Vibrant

INSTRUCTIONS

Prerequisites:

Root
    Latest version of BusyBox
    Android SDK ( and knowledge of how to use the tools, adb shell, etc... )
    Understanding of Linux commands ( but not necessary )

Files needed are located here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L
    BootUbuntu script modded by danielmid84 here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385853&stc=1&d=1282503588 NOTE: This file replaces the BootUbuntu file located in the archive above.
    VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Step 1:

Connect your phone to the computer and mount your internal storage sdcard (Not your external sdcard).

Step 2:

Now create a new folder under sdcard named "ubuntu" for instance "/sdcard/ubuntu/" and copy ALL of the files in the "ubuntu.zip" archive over to this newly created folder EXCEPT the BootUbuntu file. You will be copying over the BootUbuntu file over from the additional BootUbuntu file link provided above.

Step 3:

Now that we have all of the files in place, make sure to "Turn off USB storage" on your phone to be able t access the SD card from ADB Shell. Also make sure your "USB Debugging Mode" is check under "Settings>Applications>Developement".

Step 4:

We are going to want a windows terminal open and we are going to "cd" into your "/tools" folder, wherever that may be located. For example " cd c:\android\sdk\tools".
    Once you are in the "tools" folder, issue this command "adb shell". And for linux users, you will be issuing the command as "./adb shell".

Step 5:

Once you are in ADB Shell, you should see a "#" symbol now.
    You are then going to type "su" to enter superuser mode.

Step 6:

We are going to cd into the ubuntu folder by issuing the command "cd /sdcard/ubuntu".
    Now that we are located in "/sdcard/ubuntu" we will issue the command "sh ./ubuntu.sh"
    This command only needs to be entered once, or if you ever change the file "bootubuntu".

Step 7:

Once that is completed, issue the command "bootubuntu".
    If you get the "localhost" prompt, you have just successfully installed UBUNTU onto your Vibrant. Congratulations!!!

Now mind you, this is not with a Graphical User Interface yet and but you can access the power of Linux and Ubuntu by using a Terminal Emulator.

But if you want a running Graphical User Interface to play with, keep in mind that is uses a lot of memory and continue reading :) and I will have that updated here shortly.

Step 8:

We are now going to install a GUI.
    While still being in Ubuntu with the "localhost" prompt, issue the command "apt-get update".
    Then issue the command "apt-get install tightvncserver".

Step 9:

Once that is complete, you are going to want to issue the command "apt-get install lxde". This will take a few minutes so let it do its thing.

Step 10:

Next we are going to type:

"export USER=root" then
    "vncserver -geometry 1024x800" but you can change the display size to what you prefer.

You will be asked to set a password at this time for login.

Step 11:

Next we are going to add the following commands to /root/.vnc/xstartup.

Now type:

"cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup" it will seem like it is hanging after you push enter, but it is only waiting for additional input. So continue by entering
    "#!/bin/sh"
    "xrdb $HOME/.Xresources"
    "xsetroot -solid grey"
    "icewm &"
    "lxsession"

Then hit Ctrl+D twice and Enter key.

Step 12:

Now open the Android VNC app on your phone with "localhost" as "address" and "5901" as "port". Enter your password as well and connect!! You will now have a GUI for your Ubuntu!

REMEMBER: EACH TIME YOU WANT TO LOGIN TO YOUR UBUNTU, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. YOU CAN USE TERMINAL EMULATOR.

This is only for full phone reboots to set up Ubuntu again.

Start Terminal Emulator and cd into "/sdcard/ubuntu"
    Then issue these commands:

"su"
    "export USER=root"
    "vncserver -geometry 1024x800"

and you should be able to log back into the GUI with Android VNC again.
    For all you people saying that others are just being negative when we ask why you would want this on your phone. I can't speak for others, but my comment was in response to the op's second post of this thread as seen below. So a) I think my comment was very much relavent, and b) I've still yet to see anyone talk about what they would do on their phone with this full fletched os other than say look what I can do.

I'm surprised that not one person is interested in this...

I'm not surprised there is a lack of interest based on the fact you haven't shown anyone what the practicle use of something like this would be. I'm not suggesting there isn't one, just that nobody in this thread has mentioned one yet.
    Why not?

The same reason I look at the Post your homescreen thread...

Ideas, maybe someone is doing something I would also like to do. Maybe there is a benefit I dont know about....

Knowledge, Maybe I will learn something new today, Knowledge is power and I enjoy learning..

Why would I not want to know the uses of Ubuntu on my phone before installing it and then coming back here to complain that its a waste of time.. Maybe if people see a use in having a full linux os on a very mobile device... Enough people see a need (demand) then they provide us with better products (supply)

The biggest reason is because nobody is answering... why wouldnt you answer what you use this for unless you have no use at all? If its just to do it, I totally understand... Ive done a bunch of crazy/stupid/cool **** just to say I did it.. I mean we only live once..