[GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

Search This thread

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
[GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

PLEASE DO NOT HOST MY FILES ELSEWHERE ALSO REPORT ERRORS ABOUT IT HERE AND NOT IN ANY OTHER THREADS!

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version with a temporary fix for if not working properly on the latest OTA?

!!!WARNING!!!

ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails.

I can not be held responsible if your phone bricks, makes nukes drop from the sky and/or makes your wife pregnant.

Assuming you have the Android SDK (adb) in working order, some basic knowledge of how to use it and experience using the console for those cases something does go tits up.

=====

Requirements: Android Terminal Emulator (from market), the archive attached to this post and a way to extract it to your SD card (file manager, PC, etc).

VISIONairy+ r12 (or higher) is as of v0.5 ONLY needed for rooting your phone, if you already have root you can skip this!

Download and extract the archive to the root of your SD card and read the included instructions (RTFM.txt).

If the first and second MD5 sums match, HBOOT is flashed correctly.
If the first and third MD5 sums match, HBOOT is not flashed at all and your phone still works like nothing happened.
If the first does not match second or third, something went wrong and you should NOT reboot your phone but seek help on the forums here!

In the last case, you could first try the hboot script again if that doesn't work something went awfully wrong and you should report back here ASAP but whatever you do ... DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

=====

Credits goto all who made this possible: Scotty, tmzt (eMMC write), Paul (MoDaCo) (VISIONairy+ root) and adwinp (first working S-OFF post).
(If I left some person out of it just sent me a message and I will correct it)

Attachments

• DHD-v0.6-tempfix.zip
    558 KB · Views: 65,029
Last edited:

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
CHANGELOG (new to old):

Revised scripts.
Failproof way of making kernel module.
Added check to see if the kernel module actually loaded correctly.
Reworked the scripts, more fail and fool proof :)
Updated the check script to check the kernel module first.
Added scripts to flash/restore recovery.
Got rid of not found errors for good?
Reflected the error message from loading the module is actually ok, polished the first post and RTFM.
Changed the way md5sum is invoked, now trough busybox and this should work for people who had problems with "md5sum: not found".
Fixed a major typo.
Updated with versioning, corrected some textual output and added some extra info to RTFM.
Cleaned up the first post.
Changed hboot script to reflect the original MD5 sum.
Removed recovery, get it yourself.
Revised scripts to be more fail proof.

TODO:

Polish textual output properly.
Proper check to see if kernel module loaded or is loaded already.

Last edited:
T

Thyrus

Good morning :)

What recovery.img are you flashing in the process btw?! care to let us know?

since you take a backup of the original bootloader, maybe it would be handy to create a "revert" script also, where you flash back the original recovery and original bootloader :) in the event that we may need to you know...

the script would then go like this

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/DHD/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/DHD/hboot_check.nb0

dd if=/sdcard/DHD/recovery_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

md5sum /sdcard/DHD/hboot_orig.bin
md5sum /sdcard/DHD/hboot_check.nb0

at least thats what i think... unless the file .nb0 and .bin matters in the if=-- of--- command:)

Last edited:

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
EDIT**

Read and check everything at least 4 times, ask before you reboot your DHD if unsure about absolutely anything. This process worked for me after some stupidity on my part.

Again, this works but CHECK everything step of the way.

Last edited:

50chickens

Jun 23, 2009
FFS guys, read this carefully and double check everything you do B4 you reboot.
I've ended up with a 450 quid paperweight.
Dunno what I can do, probably nothing

did that happen using this guys script? or another way?

im holding off flashing hboot till things are a bit more settled. its hard to resist though.

T

Thyrus

i have modified the script used by sfjuocekr (so that it doesnt flash the recovery, as I see no point in that at the moment) and would rather flash from fastboot

and the script works and I can confirm s-off success

madindehead

Apr 14, 2009
I think it's safer doing it via the VISIONary method. That's how I.did mine, and zero issues. I don't like how this says don't reboot if the checksums don't match. That's just asking for trouble.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
FFS guys, read this carefully and double check everything you do B4 you reboot.
I've ended up with a 450 quid paperweight.
Dunno what I can do, probably nothing

Yeah too many people rush into dangerous stuff like flashing to hboot without understanding the risks properly. I was one of those people. I am very lucky that my flash went smoothly. Feel for you.

T

Thyrus

I think it's safer doing it via the VISIONary method. That's how I.did mine, and zero issues. I don't like how this says don't reboot if the checksums don't match. That's just asking for trouble.

actually, thats BS, excuse my french.

The checksum is an extra security measure implemented to verify that the data flashed and the data that should have been flashed remain integrity. this way, you can verify in 2 steps:

1. The file you downloaded is not currupted in any way
2. The file (bootloader) flashed has flashed correctly, prior to reboot.

so actually, it is something ON TOP of the usual scripts seen here to ensure you dont brick. I need to side with the creator here.

keemyb

Aug 6, 2009
Well I used this method and the checksums returned were both "not found" and everything started force closing, I started to accept the fact that my phone could be bricked, but on reboot I was fine!

Last edited:
T

Thyrus

i modified the scripts and included 2 more tests as well as deleted the flash of the recovery.

I can confirm the pricinple works fine, but i didnt see the point of flashing the recovery i must say. as I will fastboot flash the recovery when we have a "proper" one :)

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
I've done the permaroot and deleted visionary, so when my phone boots up now it is rooted and i have access to setcpu and such and i can change it, like the sliders, i can also use other rooted programs too.

What benefits do i stand to receive if i perform this s - off root? please.

And from what i've said am i set to do this?

Thanks.

ainmosni

Mar 18, 2010
Amsterdam
S-Off is needed for a custom recovery image and custom roms. Essentially it turns off the MMC write protection and signature checking permanently.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
i modified the scripts and included 2 more tests as well as deleted the flash of the recovery.

I can confirm the pricinple works fine, but i didnt see the point of flashing the recovery i must say. as I will fastboot flash the recovery when we have a "proper" one :)

Where can the modified script be found?

There seems to be little take up on this so far, I guess because it's so risky still?

T

Thyrus

Andy,

I have composed a comprehensive how-to in german for my "home-forum" after testing it.... so not sure how useful it would be for you non-german speaking ppl. but here is the link for convenience

http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-modding-fuer-htc-desire-hd/53959-guide-permant-root-mit-austauschen-des-bootloaders-visionary.html
you can manually edit the script from the creator here and delete THIS line

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/DHD/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21

to avoid flashing the recovery

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
Here's an update on my sorry situation

CPW say send it direct to HTC, there gonna know aren't they. Phone is completely dead, no options left I'm afraid.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Here's an update on my sorry situation

CPW say send it direct to HTC, there gonna know aren't they. Phone is completely dead, no options left I'm afraid.

Statutory consumer rights may come into play here my boy. I know that you broke it, but if you're comfortable with lying to them then I suggest you bring this up:

The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty.

EDIT: This is one of the main reasons I take out insurance on my phones. If it breaks, tell them you lost it. Technically still lying but I'm paying for the privilege of that lie, and I have never had to lie to them.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PLEASE DO NOT HOST MY FILES ELSEWHERE ALSO REPORT ERRORS ABOUT IT HERE AND NOT IN ANY OTHER THREADS!

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version with a temporary fix for if not working properly on the latest OTA?

!!!WARNING!!!

ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails.

I can not be held responsible if your phone bricks, makes nukes drop from the sky and/or makes your wife pregnant.

Assuming you have the Android SDK (adb) in working order, some basic knowledge of how to use it and experience using the console for those cases something does go tits up.

=====

Requirements: Android Terminal Emulator (from market), the archive attached to this post and a way to extract it to your SD card (file manager, PC, etc).

VISIONairy+ r12 (or higher) is as of v0.5 ONLY needed for rooting your phone, if you already have root you can skip this!

Download and extract the archive to the root of your SD card and read the included instructions (RTFM.txt).

If the first and second MD5 sums match, HBOOT is flashed correctly.
    If the first and third MD5 sums match, HBOOT is not flashed at all and your phone still works like nothing happened.
    If the first does not match second or third, something went wrong and you should NOT reboot your phone but seek help on the forums here!

In the last case, you could first try the hboot script again if that doesn't work something went awfully wrong and you should report back here ASAP but whatever you do ... DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

=====

Credits goto all who made this possible: Scotty, tmzt (eMMC write), Paul (MoDaCo) (VISIONairy+ root) and adwinp (first working S-OFF post).
    (If I left some person out of it just sent me a message and I will correct it)
    Hey guys, I've just completed rooting my DHD but can't seem to set r/w permissions for /system. I have tried setting the r/w permissions via Terminal Emulator, adb shell and the clockwork mod recovery (Currently set to 'mount' and if I change to unmount and reboot it will set back to mount).
    Every time I enter into Root Explorer it will be set as r/w until I move into the /system folder where it will switch to r/o and the 'Mount R/W' tab doesn't switch it.
    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?
    It's set to S-OFF and everything went ok during the root process, I just want to get rid of the bloatware apps.
    Thanks for any help.

If you are able to manually remount rw and it changes back to ro, it seems like something is switching it back?

You can also remove programs with TitaniumBackup, but remounting rw should not switch back automatically.
    I attempted the following steps and i'm not sure if I've rooted my system or not. I typed SU in terminal emulator it prompts me access denied. Prior to that I had to force close many of my apps. And one of the is the superuser.

Is there a way to recover from this? thanks

1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool
    1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1290501865
    1.2) Install Visionary+ on Your DHD
    1.3) Run it, enable "Set system r/w after root
    1.4) Click "Temproot Now!" - Wait until it's finished
    1.5) Click Attempt Permroot Now!
    1.6) DHD automatically reboot's
    To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"
    run it, type su <------- Unable to proceed from here
    Din feeling is right, abort, get stock rom and try again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk