Fastboot flash failed: error too many links

Search This thread

Faisal0000

Apr 15, 2014
Lahore
I flashed the stock recovery and when I flashed it(fastboot rebootRUU abd the fastboot flash firmware.zip(I had my european rom 989 mb renamed) it said sending zip and then parsing rom and then FAILED too many links. What should I do?

Reactions: Androand

cristiiaan

Jul 22, 2009
Bucuresti
Thanks for all the help guys, unfortunately I wasn't able to get things going and eventually decided to just start from square one and reload everything I could remember. Who knows what data I've lost, but I was definately losing more by not picking up & moving on.

If anybody gets a better handle on what the "too many links" error is caused by or actually means, I'd love to know if I face this again later down the road when trying to backup using fastboot.

After many hours of trying, with diffrent cables and computers, i disabled the network connections and worked perfectly. :D

Sino88

May 17, 2017
Solution

Hi everyone.
first time rooting a phone... (sony Xperia Z5 Compact)
anyways.. i had the same problem.. was stuck for 30 minutes!!
The way i solved the issue was to unlock the bootloader. after that it worked perfectly.
no need to change cable or try different port.
You can unlock bootloader developer . sonymobile . com / unlockbootloader / unlock-yourboot-loader (am not allowed to post links.. sorry). at the bottom, select your device and click continue.
then just register and check your mail. then'll you'll be given instructions on how to unlock bootloader.

hope this works for you guys, because it did for me :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for fastboot -w flashall to work you need to set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable, where boot.img, recovery.img and system.img file are, on window just use the set command
    set ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=c:\<your directory where the files are>
    and then run fastboot -w flashall

-Pramod
    The same directory also need to have android-info.txt file, this file just have a single entry as board=trout in it, if you don't have it create this file and then run fastboot again

-Pramod
    Had this problem as well

Had this problem as well used a ferrite core on 2 cables (a random cable and the default cable) neither worked. Then I stopped using the usb ports at the front of my computer (they seemed a bit dodgy not recognizing devices etc.) and used one at the rear.

Worked immediately :) no reboot etc.
    Same problem here, just changed the usb cable and everything worked fine!

thank's
    I flashed the stock recovery and when I flashed it(fastboot rebootRUU abd the fastboot flash firmware.zip(I had my european rom 989 mb renamed) it said sending zip and then parsing rom and then FAILED too many links. What should I do?