Amazon Fire TV turns on BY ITSELF! Is there a ghost in my machine?

Search This thread

treaki

Jun 7, 2010
i have no idea bout the fire tv (stick) cause its close sourced and you cant access the bootloader/system software to fix that, and i dont own one to figure it out myself. But what tv are you using, many tvs have advanced hdmi settings where you can disable remote control using hdmi and thereby only enable a/v using hdmi. I dont know if your television set has such a setting but my lg tv has something like that, i have disabled this to listen to music using my stereo from the blu ray player (over upnp/dlna) without the tv switched on...

have a look at your tv user guid for example, or thell us the tv model so we could check.

If there is no way doing that by tv just unplug your tv or use a hdmi switch with an remote control between the fire box and the tv to workaround...

i wish you much suggest on this issue, i can imagine that this is a pain in the ass.

By the way dose your fire stick has a separated power supply, if so you could also switch this one on and off wireless...

regards treaki

Reactions: Neo3D
i have no idea bout the fire tv (stick) cause its close sourced and you cant access the bootloader/system software to fix that, and i dont own one to figure it out myself. But what tv are you using, many tvs have advanced hdmi settings where you can disable remote control using hdmi and thereby only enable a/v using hdmi. I dont know if your television set has such a setting but my lg tv has something like that, i have disabled this to listen to music using my stereo from the blu ray player (over upnp/dlna) without the tv switched on...

have a look at your tv user guid for example, or thell us the tv model so we could check.

If there is no way doing that by tv just unplug your tv or use a hdmi switch with an remote control between the fire box and the tv to workaround...

i wish you much suggest on this issue, i can imagine that this is a pain in the ass.

By the way dose your fire stick has a separated power supply, if so you could also switch this one on and off wireless...

regards treaki

Thanks! I have the regular Amazon Fire TV, not the stick. But, I'll see if my TV will let me disable the remote "on" feature.

Lexamundo

Jun 5, 2017
I'm relatively new to Firestick but mine randomly turns on the TV and changes the input back to the HDMI port into which the Firestick is plugged. It has done it 3 times this evening ! That is AFTER I changed the input BACK to the cable system each time. It is definitely demanding attention !

rbronco21

Dec 3, 2015
Both of my Fire TVs (1 and 2) do this, and it's not repeatable. In my case, it happens at the moment when SPMC is supposed to suspend, but not every time. I'd love to have it work so I can hit one button on my Fire TV remote and have it start up my TV and reciever, but I can't get it to work, so I've disabled HDMI CEC on the Fire TV 2. I'll do more testing on my Fire TV 1 soon.

apex366

Mar 21, 2009
I have a two fire sticks, Samsung TVs, and both are setup to turn on when I push home button on the fire remote. The main TV is recently turning on, it gets 1000 times the usage. It is now doing it when watching other things or while playing online games - not cool! I’ll check back soon since this thread has been sitting

KevHouston740

Nov 10, 2017
Our Firestick has also started to turn the TV on by itself and also when we are watching other mediums. This is not cool Amazon. You need to get ahold of this.

Mhdtr33

Nov 13, 2017
No great solution so far

It seems like there ought to be a way to solve this problem without simply dumbing-down our TVs and disabling a pretty darn convenient convenience feature.

Rion99

Nov 15, 2017
Unless you really need the firestick to be able to turn the TV off and on, you can go into settings on the firestick and select display and sound, then you see something called "HDMI CEC Device Control, and turn it off. This may or may not work. We just found it.

cloves

Apr 25, 2008
HTC 10
Samsung Galaxy S20
So I just started having this issue. But it happening when the TV is on another input say my cable box. I'll be watching cable and then the Amazon fire TV will switch inputs. When I use my Amazon control and I am watching cable and hit a button, the Amazon tv would switch input which was great. But now no one is going the Amazon remote and the into is being swapped. Just started happening this month has to be some update Amazon made.

a_nasral

May 14, 2013
So I have the same issue. I have both a firestick and a Chromecast. I want to keep anynet enabled so that Chromecast can turn on and off the TV through voice command with Google home. It comes in handy when the kids are up early on Saturday and I don't feel like leaving bed, I'll ask Google to turn on the TV and put Netflix for them lol.
Anyhow my solution was to power the firestick from the USB port found on the tv. So when. The TV is off firestick is off ...no more random TV on's

XtraMed

Dec 1, 2017
I recently began having this issue as well on my firestick. I have had CEC turned on for months and it has not been an issue until a couple of days ago. I have noticed that my firestick has booted to Netflix each time it turns on by itself. Netflix has been the last app used, so tonight I am trying to back out of every app; especially Netflix, to see if that has anything to do with my random boot ups.

GOiphone

Dec 15, 2017
This issue don't happen on Apple TV.
But power down your amazon fire each time. (press select + play at same time for 5 seconds).

bnhscharding

Dec 18, 2017
fire stick auto starting

Just curious, did this work? I noticed that it is doing in only when the last thing i watched was netflix also. so im thinking it's actually a netflix app issue. what did you find out by backing out of netflix before turning off? did the firestick autostart at all after you backed out?

I recently began having this issue as well on my firestick. I have had CEC turned on for months and it has not been an issue until a couple of days ago. I have noticed that my firestick has booted to Netflix each time it turns on by itself. Netflix has been the last app used, so tonight I am trying to back out of every app; especially Netflix, to see if that has anything to do with my random boot ups.

GOiphone

Dec 15, 2017
It's not rebooting. It's was NEVER turned off.

The solution is too power off the device. Yes it's an extra step to inconvenient your busy life but it is what it is.

elkscout

Dec 18, 2017
I just got the second generation fire stick after Thanksgiving, which I'm using on an older Mitsubishi dlp. It changes the tv's input at will. I also have a PS3, which has always acted in a similar manner. More specifically, the playstation turns itself right back on after I press the power button to turn it off. Both are pretty annoying.

WASSALI

Jan 2, 2018
Just turn off the CEC in Settings > Sounds & Display. With CEC enabled every time AMAZON Fire TV wakes up or Switches to Home it would Switch the TV on or Switch the TV Source ... very annoying. New Fire TV OS allows you to turn this feature off

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

regards treaki