Microsoft Shutting down Marketplace for Mobile & My Phone SVC

Search This thread

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
So if you want an online synch system for your contact, here are the solution :

* Having an Exchange account ( like me, it synchronize calendar, task, mail, contact)

* Using the Windows Live apps in order to save contact ( and yes, the contact feature of Windows Live is very good, and in addition you can edit/modify/read them from your pc or from the website)

prabhat

Yes as per contacts Outlook is the best as most of the user have their email configured in outlook and they can Sync Contacts, calender and Task etc in Outlook and on go they can get all those sync on demand. This can be with the same Exchange profile or another profile as well.

But My Phone is over that where it can sync SMS in addition to all above on web/cloud which is not supported in Outlook. And we can Sync our device on demand without any manual work :).

May be Google should come forward to give similar service like My Phone :confused: or M$ should have addon for Outlook to have SMS sync as well :confused:

Thanks.

thebranded

Jan 17, 2007
Sydney
I won't miss either of them. Marketplace is a joke, anyway, and there are much better solutions for backing up.

Your "Better solution" is the below? Seriously?

Why does it have to be online? Hell, I just copy pim.vol to my sd card and call it good. I also use sk tools to back up my pim data to have an alternative. I'll copy the backups to a pc, so I have a failsafe. You could always upload the backups to some web service, but I guess I don't see the point. Doesn't windows live still backup contacts? I've done that as well, but have never used windows live or myphone to restore anything. I've just used it as a failsafe.

I don't really care about backing up texts; I just delete them whenever I flash, but if I wanted to save them I'd use sk tools to do it, and maybe use pimbackup as an alternate way to save them. Again, I'm not sure why a web service is needed to do it.

You may not receive important text messages but some of us do, and need them backedup for records and audits. So your "solution" has nothing to do with one of the core services of Myphone, how is that a solution?

at least rwxer, posted a useful alternative.

SaturnusDJ

Nov 2, 2007
As alternative you can try http://www.bloove.com It allows to backup your Windows Mobile phone (contacts and sms) or migrate data to any android phone.

Is this free?

I dont understand a sh** of most replies. :p

Skydrive won't be a replacement I think. PIM Backup worked nice in the early days but now it's really slow and data might disappear or isn't sort out nicely in WM anymore, so I started using MS My Phone. Really liked it...but now what? :confused:

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
You may not receive important text messages but some of us do, and need them backedup for records and audits. So your "solution" has nothing to do with one of the core services of Myphone, how is that a solution?

at least rwxer, posted a useful alternative.

Where did I ever say I backed up text messages? I'm pretty sure I didn't. If I wanted to, I'd just use one of the age-old applications like SK Tools, which does a fine job.

I have a mortscript that backs up everything I need; it takes me 2 seconds to execute it. As I said earlier, I don't need to upload things to a server, although I guess I could, just for the hell of it.

neocyke

Jul 22, 2010
Penang
www.facebook.com
Just read the mail. The irony of it all..
I just started using My Phone like a month (after having winmo for years) and found it quite handy. Before that, everything went on the PC.

You have to admit though, with WP7 out and being M$, this day would eventually come. We all know it deep down. But then, I'm *that* worried yet. Someone will waltz in with a similar service soon. In the mean time, it's back to manual backups with outlook & iSMS.. -sigh- the irony...

** oh yeah, you could backup txts with iMobile Tool SMS backup. smaller, faster than SPB or any other txt backup app i've used. Sadly, it's still manual, needs a PC and does only SMS.. still, better than nothing i suppose..

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
I'm actually more amazed people still haven't defected to Android, i used to think WINMO was the business until i defected to Android and ill never look back.

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
As for My Phone, I guess some program that can auto-upload a PimBackup file on a schedule would be good enough for me. Does such a thing exist?

I wonder what happens to the Locate My Phone feature? I have the free service.
RemoteTracker can do the same & more. However, it's not bug free & you DO NOT want to start fiddling with options without reading up on them first (as in the "lock" command).

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
As for My Phone, I guess some program that can auto-upload a PimBackup file on a schedule would be good enough for me. Does such a thing exist?...
Looks like Funambol should work for me, although I may just sync to my PC & then backup to Spideroak or something similar like Dropbox.

There's also Google Sync, which I think is basically an Exchange server. I don't think it does anything with SMS, not sure if it can sync My Documents (containing a PimBackup file). And then there's the issue of turning your entire life over to Google, which I'm not really comfortable with.

Last edited:

prabhat

As markthomson1404 said in other thread... The m:IQ Service seems to be good with Sync for Windows Mobile & Android devices for Contacts, Text Messages (SMS), Calender, Calls, Photos & Video and Bookmarks.

So over all seems to be promising (no mobile tracking though) all good so far. Also we can use MyPhone to get all my stuffs from MS and Sync back to m:IQ. We need to see how the sync is working for all supported components like 2 way sync for all components...

Cheers!!!

EDIT:
m:IQ Contacts Sync is not working... and I have informed to Dev team of the products hope they will work on that...

Last edited:
Reactions: jb789

damian.s

Feb 26, 2009
Medway
Are they also closing the service to people running the windows 7 phones that have it installed or are they safe until a new version is released????

Watercycle

May 11, 2011
Manhattan
android was frankly always the best XD

beats iPhone because of visual appeal and no darn itunes as well ^_^

i got windows mobile because 2 years ago my phones camera was the best one >XC

- > month later other phone's catch up with it and i gasp < -

MauricioRPP

Apr 17, 2010
today is the day. myphone will not synch anymore. 3 days ago I bought a cheap Android phone (Samsumg Galaxy 5) to try to make Citrix Applications work on it.

I will NEVER buy a W7 phone, not even the ones from Nokia (the phone manufacturer that I like the most - I had Nokia phones for over 10 years and my main phone is still a tiny nokia2630)

Skateout

Mar 12, 2011
Munich
Well I didn't like their decission, but it doesn't matter now. I had and I will have Android for sure but now I am testing WP7 on my HD2.
So I backd up everything on Google :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has to be online, because we don't have time to copy pim.vol everyday! (Maybe, every few hours for few people.) We can't keep hitting those backup and restore buttons every now and then. We want everything to be seamless and requiring least possible human effort. We want polished ways. And we had it all. Now, we're habitual to it. We want it to be continued!

Most WM users I know are business users. These are the COO & CEO of small to medium sized business, or their sales force.
    I always have a backup device in my suitcase because I have left devices in planes after long flights, once it fell out in a NYC taxi & more than once it has been broken or otherwise incapacitated.

Now I don't particularly care about text messages, but Contacts, Phone Location, Documents, Videos used for presentations, Calendar, Tasks, Browser Favorites & the Items on my SD Card are different stories. One of the reasons I stuck with WM was the MyPhone Service. Where else can you back up or restore all this data in one central place & then retrieve it with any WM device or computer via the website?

Yes, Live does some neat things!!! But So does My Phon. So, why not integrate the features that are improvements? Why keep starting over every single time you develop a similar technology. It would be like the Tire manufacturers every year saying "Okay, we have a new material that is great on dry & wet or icy roads, So should we look at revisiting the SQUARE tire? No, you take features that set you apart, features that build value & integrate them. That is how you develop a superior product.

Now a backup program just WILL NOT cut it for those situations that we mobile workforce members occasionally find ourselves in. Neither can you just swap out the PIM volume in many occasions.

MyPhone has saved me on two separate occasions, everyone I know that also uses WM & is in this type of business have told me similar stories. Just like you may not use OnStar every day, but you sure are gonna be happy it's there the day you are on a back road & turned over in a ditch, or find yourself in Minnesota during winter and slide thru that stop sign into the ditch with your kids in the back seat at 16 below zero.

Backup of swapping PIM is great if you are a student or if you sit at a desk 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday, but when I get a call & need to grab the next plane to Chicago with nothing but my device & the overnight carry-on bag I keep in my pickup, that dog just don't hunt.
    This makes me not want to ever buy another Microsoft phone.
    As markthomson1404 said in other thread... The m:IQ Service seems to be good with Sync for Windows Mobile & Android devices for Contacts, Text Messages (SMS), Calender, Calls, Photos & Video and Bookmarks.

So over all seems to be promising (no mobile tracking though) all good so far. Also we can use MyPhone to get all my stuffs from MS and Sync back to m:IQ. We need to see how the sync is working for all supported components like 2 way sync for all components...

Cheers!!!

EDIT:
    m:IQ Contacts Sync is not working... and I have informed to Dev team of the products hope they will work on that...