Android on HD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xndzizz

Nov 13, 2009
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before!

Does anyone know if its possible to install an Android rom on the HTC HD2? That phone with android would be amaazing.

Thanks!

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Not without a whole lot of work.
It is definitely a waste of that hardware to put wincrap on it.

The one reason I would NOT contribute to running android on that device is that every one of those devices that HTC sells, some amount of your $$ gets sent to microshaft, so strictly from the perspective of "I absolutely will NEVER give ONE THIN DIME to those greedy evil bastards", I would ignore the hardware and not do anything that could potentially boost its sales.

xndzizz

Nov 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses...

Yeah I would love to see Android 2.0 on a Snapdragon processor. I too have a distaste for contributing to MS by purchasing an HD2, but it would be worth it :p

I get the feeling the recently confirmed "Google Phone" will infact be a modification of the HD2. The thing is, it's so fricken perfect in terms of form factor, I hope they don't make it worse in an attempt to make it distinguishable different from the original

Fingers crossed. And thanks, Ill check out that link.

webmice

Jul 17, 2008

The one reason I would NOT contribute to running android on that device is that every one of those devices that HTC sells, some amount of your $$ gets sent to microshaft, so strictly from the perspective of "I absolutely will NEVER give ONE THIN DIME to those greedy evil bastards", I would ignore the hardware and not do anything that could potentially boost its sales.

So do you own an HTC HD2 or not? If as you say you shouldn't have one, and how you would know if Android is not easy to install on HD2?

You can hate MS as we all do, but don't bad mouth a great piece of hardware, which maybe great if it runs Android.

Drizien

Mar 7, 2010
I too, would like to see an android release on the HTC HD2... I really expected more from winmo 6.5

nomad33fw

Nov 18, 2006
Oviedo
Better be aware of who you support

You complain about MS but think that Google is better? Really! You might want to check into the politics and beliefs of the Google CEO Eric Schmidt. In one of his most recent interviews he stated that he saw nothing wrong with controlling the news available to users via it's home page and search engine. Funnier yet is that they complain about China's censorship, I guess he beliefs censorship is ok as long as he is the censor.

Anyway, didn't mean for this to become a rant, but Google is no better than MS when it comes to attempting to control a market. Windows & Palm were first on the scene with smart phones and both of their operating systems have grown tremendously. I would even say that Apples iPhone OS would not be as intuitive today if it were not for MS and Palm.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Do you really want to port your own version of Android to HD2? It will never be as smooth and fast compared to say just buying an HTC Supersonic.

Also, what do you do with it when everybody has moved to Android 3.0? You won't have any support for it. The ROM Cook may no longer be interested with porting Android 3.0 to what would have been an old outdated piece of hardware in a year's time.

You're better off just buying an HTC Supersonic. At least you could pray that HTC would give you future Android versions when they become available.

DaveTheTytnIIGuy

Aug 28, 2008
Sacramento, California
I'm sure (or at least hopeful) that a GSM version will be available later. It's a shame to have such an excellent spec hardware not available to the rest of the world.
Really! I've gotten so tired of my Pro2 with WM 6.5, I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was GSM and supported my carrier's 3G. But of course, AT&T has to get the worst Android phones in history in its lineup while forgetting about HTC completely.

Slystorm

Dec 13, 2007
If the only thing to edit is the radio rom, shouldn't be such a big deal for all the developers here.
Really looking forward to my HD2 running android!!

steady6

Mar 22, 2010
Really! I've gotten so tired of my Pro2 with WM 6.5, I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was GSM and supported my carrier's 3G. But of course, AT&T has to get the worst Android phones in history in its lineup while forgetting about HTC completely.

I hope you know why At&t doesn't want htc smartphones on their lineup? The reason is because they dont want any htc phones to destroy the iphone. Which is true...sales will drop if a htc 4"3 screen showed up. Not to mention apple is sueing htc.

bizmark03

Feb 3, 2010
I just noticed the HTC desire has almost identical specs as the HD2, except for the screen size, most of it is the same, both are gsm....cant they port the android os from the desire on to the HD2..??

kpejr187

Feb 29, 2008
Think the Droid Incredible ROM would work on a HD2?? I don't know if it being from Verizon would make a difference or not. BTW - Droid Incredible is the strangest name for a phone EVER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.