How to root manually/without Windows

Search This thread

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
There is already an excellent write-up on how to use SuperOneClick to root your Optimus V.
Unfortunately, you may not have a Windows machine available to run the util, or your PC hates the LG drivers, or you may wish to control how you go about rooting your device.

Hence this short write-up which, obviously, relies on pieces I got from that other write-up.

I. Rooting your device

1. You still need ADB!
2. Download the LG Optimus V Tools package from http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/tools/
3. Unzip it
4. Command-line:
Code:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp/
adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 psneuter
chmod 777 su
./psneuter
5. You should be kicked out of the shell
6. Command-line:
Code:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /data/local/tmp/su > /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
(Oh look you are root!)
That's it. You now have permanent root access.
After rebooting your phone, adb should be back to logging you in as a regular user but typing "su" will do the trick.

Note: I realize that the version of SuperUser.apk that comes with SuperOneClick might be re-usable here. I haven't had any success with it but you may.

II. Flashing a new ROM

1. After rooting your device, obviously...
2. Get an image for the ROM you wish to flash...
Currently, my favourite one is a fairly recent version of Zefie's CM7.
You can find it by googling "update-cm-7-04282011-NIGHTLY-thunderc-Xionia-signed.zip" -- I will refer to it, below, as <your_rom_zip_file>
3. Get a minimum Google Apps package for flashing as well.
Here, I would google "gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip" -- I will refer to it, below, as <your_gapps_zip_file>
3. Command-line:
Code:
adb push flash_recovery /data/local/tmp/
adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
adb push Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip /sdcard/
adb push <your_rom_zip_file> /sdcard/
adb push <your_gapps_zip_file> /sdcard/
adb shell
su
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/flash_recovery
/data/local/tmp/flash_recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery
4. In recovery: Flash Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip
5. In recovery: Wipe cache and dalvik-cache
6. In recovery: Flash <your_rom_zip_file> -- this will take a while
7. Do not reboot!
8. In recovery: Flash <your_gapps_zip_file>
9. Now, reboot.
10. Let your phone think about life for a few minutes
11. Select "Skip" when your phone asks you to create/enter your account info
12. Launch the market; now, enter your main account information

Last edited:
Reactions: ikunalgautam
May 14, 2011
Hey first of all let me tell you that I appreciate this guide. Now my problem is that I am such a noob that I may be doing this wrong.I download the file to my optimus.Then in an explorer I extract it, correct? After that once I put in the first line of command on terminal emulator I get an error that says "adb: permission denied". Please help this guide is my last resort.Whatever I do I can not root through windows.It would be nice if you could explain in more detail every step. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wazzielu

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
SouthParkFan15:

adb is a tool that you run on your computer; it is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It is part of the Google SDK.

thizizjohnny:

Could you give me a little more detail regarding what detail you are interested in?

May 14, 2011
I finally got adb on my system, but when I type in "adb devices" nothing comes up and when I do any command that involves the phone i get "error:device not found".Yes I have usb debugging on and yes I have all the right drivers installed and yes I have tried rebooting a million times, and no my computer has never recognized my phone the way it should.Let me also point out that though pdanet or droid explorer they can't find my device. Help please I'm desperate!

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Oh, my. Sorry to read that.

Problem is, in 2.2.x, the exploits that give you root access rely on ADB itself so you couldn't be more out of luck.

On second thought...this may seem a bit weird but there may be a way. I have to think about it. It would involve using a file manager that agrees to "see" /data/local/tmp, running psneuter from there and keeping our fingers crossed. I'll keep you updated.

roche976

May 27, 2011
I ran all of the steps for rooting and I didn't get one error. It didn't seem to work though. When I launch adb again after rebooting my phone I get permission denied when I try to run su.

Here is the cap from my command line. I have no idea why it didn't take.

C:\phone\LGOptimusVTools>adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 777 psneuter
chmod 777 psneuter
$ chmod 777 su
chmod 777 su
$ ./psneuter
./psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /data/local/tmp/su > /system/bin/su
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# exit
exit

$ su
su
su: permission denied
$

May 14, 2011
Hey, do you know if there is a way to upgrade my device to froyo 2.2.2? It's currently 2.2.1 and whenever I go to update system it says something like "Your system is up to date".Incase you have forgotten I have the optimus v that can't establish connections with the computer.So what I could do?I'm thinking that If I do that then maybe it could fix all of my problems (or some of them).Thanks

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
I don't think that it will help you no.

OK it's taking longer than I thought because my wife's LGV, after I restored it to stock, decided that it would not allow psneuter anymore.

Thus, I will need you to run these commands for me and let me know how that went:

1. First, copy psneuter to the root of your SD Card.
2. Then, download Terminal Emulator from the market
3. Run Terminal Emulator, type:

Code:
cp /sdcard/psneuter /data/local/tmp/
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
/data/local/tmp/psneuter
Now, if we are lucky, you should get kicked out of the terminal app (I know it's weird but there is a claim that it goes through adb(!))

Restart the terminal emulator. If we are double-lucky, your prompt should have changed from '$' to '#'

Fingers crossed. Still surprised to hear that terminal emulator would go through adb. No, let me rephrase that: I am moderately surprised, in fact, considering the limitations put on non-rooted apps.

May 14, 2011
After I put psneuter on the root of my sdcard.I go to terminal emulator and put in the first code and it says "cp: permission denied".Any suggestions?

May 14, 2011
I put in "cat /sdcard/psneuter > /data/local/tmp/psneuter" and I get an error message saying "cannot create /data/local/tmp/psneuter: directory nonexistent".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is already an excellent write-up on how to use SuperOneClick to root your Optimus V.
    Unfortunately, you may not have a Windows machine available to run the util, or your PC hates the LG drivers, or you may wish to control how you go about rooting your device.

Hence this short write-up which, obviously, relies on pieces I got from that other write-up.

I. Rooting your device

1. You still need ADB!
    2. Download the LG Optimus V Tools package from http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/tools/
    3. Unzip it
    4. Command-line:
    Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp/
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 777 psneuter
    chmod 777 su
    ./psneuter
    5. You should be kicked out of the shell
    6. Command-line:
    Code:
    adb shell
    (Oh look you are root!)
    That's it. You now have permanent root access.
    After rebooting your phone, adb should be back to logging you in as a regular user but typing "su" will do the trick.

Note: I realize that the version of SuperUser.apk that comes with SuperOneClick might be re-usable here. I haven't had any success with it but you may.

II. Flashing a new ROM

1. After rooting your device, obviously...
    2. Get an image for the ROM you wish to flash...
    Currently, my favourite one is a fairly recent version of Zefie's CM7.
    You can find it by googling "update-cm-7-04282011-NIGHTLY-thunderc-Xionia-signed.zip" -- I will refer to it, below, as <your_rom_zip_file>
    3. Get a minimum Google Apps package for flashing as well.
    Here, I would google "gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip" -- I will refer to it, below, as <your_gapps_zip_file>
    3. Command-line:
    Code:
    adb push flash_recovery /data/local/tmp/
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
    adb push Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip /sdcard/
    adb push <your_rom_zip_file> /sdcard/
    adb push <your_gapps_zip_file> /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/flash_recovery
    /data/local/tmp/flash_recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot recovery
    4. In recovery: Flash Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip
    5. In recovery: Wipe cache and dalvik-cache
    6. In recovery: Flash <your_rom_zip_file> -- this will take a while
    7. Do not reboot!
    8. In recovery: Flash <your_gapps_zip_file>
    9. Now, reboot.
    10. Let your phone think about life for a few minutes
    11. Select "Skip" when your phone asks you to create/enter your account info
    12. Launch the market; now, enter your main account information
    Hey first of all let me tell you that I appreciate this guide. Now my problem is that I am such a noob that I may be doing this wrong.I download the file to my optimus.Then in an explorer I extract it, correct? After that once I put in the first line of command on terminal emulator I get an error that says "adb: permission denied". Please help this guide is my last resort.Whatever I do I can not root through windows.It would be nice if you could explain in more detail every step. Thanks! :)