No microSD card extension a new trend lately

Search This thread

pimppoet

Oct 3, 2007
soundcloud.com
The external SD card just confuses the average consumer.
It would be like base desktop computer shipping with 2 hard drives. Power users may want another HDD, but the average consumer that just uses facebook, youtube, email, MS office, and itunes will not. Just having it there can cause serious confusion and damage the experience.

I don't really need an external SD. Biggest thing that takes up space is music, and I have the Google Music cloud for that. What else is taking up so much space for you guys? Pictures maybe? Are you putting videos (like TV shows) on your phone?

Yea for some but even feature phones have them. With the use of memory cards & tech as a whole becoming more mainstream in gps units,car stereos,tvs,etc people are understanding more or atleast have afew "nerds" in the family to explain it to them. Ive dealt with my share of lazy,confused,& nontechy customers so I understand your point of view on the user experience but that still no excuse leave out the feature. If the rep is just about the sale & the customer in unwilling to learn it doesnt matter what item your selling.

I think the nonremoval memory/battery idea works so well for apple because they take care of the issues directly bypassing carriers sometimes ****ty cs. Plus u cant complain about what you never had.

Far as the cloud its not a almighty fix due to coverage,data limits,privacy/security concerns,& overall reliability.

charmthief88

Jan 20, 2012
lol, the Asus Padfone has 1 microSD slot, 1 regular SD slot, and 2 USB slots for external storage. XD
There is a lot to love about the padfone like how charges your phone while in the tablet.
You've also made a wonderful point about the usefulness of the krait processor being a very capable processor in previous threads.

I don't mind thin phones but not at the expense of three critical factors. Decent battery size, micro SD expansion, and durability. I still hold the Razr Maxx in high esteem, and look forward to the Panasonic Eluga power (no removable battery though but waterproof) Fujitsu F12arc. Plus Moto rumours of upcoming phones Atrix 3 and Droid Fighter both say micro SD and large battery.

adone.h

Dec 26, 2009
For me this is a great problem as I usually work with non-original rom that sometimes freeze the OS and the only solution with my htc hd2 is to eject the battery.

Aitcheff

Dec 5, 2011
On the HTC ONE X, holding down the power button should in theory have the same effect as pulling the battery. I hope I never have to test this in earnest!

eletro

Apr 5, 2010
I hate how the market trend trying to copy apple design blindly without thinking.

One perfect example is this: asymmetric earphones

Its soo hard to find good asymmetric earphones nowadays.. everyone is copying apple's symmetric earphones.

Having asymmetric earphones means the earphones will still hung around your neck while u take off it.

Copy no sd on apple..

On apple, all application is seperate sandboxes that works by itself, make sense to have a unified storage for that solution. However on android, whereby every app can share a pool of data, it makes sense to have expandable storage!

No expandable battery..

Apple OS is designed to conserve battery, all application using the same notification api, single pipeline design.. thus having no expandable batt make sense and simplify the design, no matter how many application you install.. the drain is relatively same.
Each application in android mainly run by itself and spawn their own respective connection and sleep cycle.. and generally consume more battery as more apps are installed.. thus having expandable battery is better!

Instead of blindly copying.. one should build upon their OS strength.

sreza

Oct 5, 2011
Fort Worth
One perfect example is this: asymmetric earphones

Its soo hard to find good asymmetric earphones nowadays.. everyone is copying apple's symmetric earphones.

Having asymmetric earphones means the earphones will still hung around your neck while u take off it.

I suggest you take a look at these if you're having trouble finding a good set of headphones. I personally never want to use wired headphones again regardless of the design.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Tone-Wireless-Bluetooth-Packaging/dp/B0052YFYFK

Iceanimator

Apr 5, 2012
plus one to the above post.

a phone without any expandable memory slot just makes me feel tied down and I don't like that feeling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

rustyguy

Nov 26, 2011
Even BB's have expandable storage. Honestly the cloud is cool, but for my music/video needs its just not realistic to stream **** all the time and expect my phone will last a day on battery or that my data account will last the month.(1 gig)

Phone companies should also notice that I would gladly carry a device that is a few mm thicker with a better battery. When you hold these 4.5" displays your not going to actually notice 2 or 3 mm in thickness, may even feel better.

ugkbunb

Apr 21, 2012
lame trend, consumers really need to make it apparent that this is not what we want. gotta love my sgii skyrocket tho

nexxer

Apr 29, 2011
No SD = no buy for me too, and in fact I won't even suggest them to friends who ask about them, if they're atleast semi-power users.

Good example is the Nexus S, that even in its current low price I am telling a friend to stay away from, knowing he'll run out of space very quickly. Coming from an older phone he doesn't believe it's a priority, but getting a quick android is like getting fast internet for the first time.. you'll fill it up :)

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
To me, I think the reason why the manufacturers are doing it, both non-removable batteries and no SD card slot like Apple is so they can easily make more money by cutting out 3rd parties who sell SD cards and aftermarket batteries. Just like Apple, they can sell the same phone with different storage options for more money and it will also force the owner to replace the phone as the battery gets worn down and holds less of a charge, or replace the battery for a significant cost.

Sent from my GT-N7000 Samsung Galaxy Note "Go big or go home" using XDA app

PockySnacks

Aug 11, 2011
What really made me buy an android over the iphone was the ability to increase storage via microsd. i could have 8gb on my phone then pop in 32gb so i can have 40gb.

tinotinotino

Apr 21, 2012
Only HTC has given into the evil ways of Apple. All the other vendors are still firm belivers of SD card and removable battery.

OTOH, I find the trend of optional extra large battery very enconraging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!

This craving for "Thanks"-Hits lately is really annoying, to say the least. (Not directly in your direction, but in general).

Back on topic:

I´m not that fond of this trend, but it seems it is going that way.
    My only concern about this, is the fact that it is getting more difficult to, let´s say, flash a firmware, that won´t boot up with your current rom etc.
    Other then that, I don´t see that much of an disadvantage.
    No micro sd card slot is a disaster for me. My music collection is over 40gb, games are often up to a gb each, my European maps are about 2gb and I like to have a few films or tv shows on board to kill time too. With a more powerful phone I'm going to want have hi-def films on board so I can stream to my tv (or to a friend's tv). I also have loads of photos from holidays and stuff which I like to keep on my memory card. Not only do I want a micro sd card slot, I want new devices to support micro sdxc for MUCH greater storage capacities and faster transfer speeds.

The cloud has its place for me, but I don't want to be left looking like a chump when I can't access a photo or song because there is either a slow or non-existent data connection. What about when my phone has to be on flight mode? Why would I want to eat into my data allowance to stream a song that could so easily be on a memory card? Streaming stuff to my phone uses noticeably more battery too.

Manufacturers want us to have fixed storage so we have to upgrade our handsets as our storage needs grow. They also realise that people are prepared to splash the cash on larger memory cards so they figure they would rather put that memory in the phone and take the extra money from us instead of letting that cash go to a card manufacturer. Finally, networks want us to store our stuff in the cloud because sooner or later we will go over our data allowances and they will make a killing in extra charges.....the next time we get a contract we'll all go for more expensive plans with a better allowance. They're not worried about the unnecessary data slowing down our mobile networks because they'll just throttle connection speeds accordingly.

Choice is good. 'Light' users won't mind a lack of SD card slot, but those of us who truly use our devices for media storage, communication, photography, sat nav and increasingly as a dockable pc replacement are really gutted. Windows mobile used to be able to connect in two ways, so there's no reason why our current devices can't pull the same trick.
    no micro sd slot = no purchase for me

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk
    http://www.htcphones.net/htc-one-x-specs-pros-and-cons/
    Pros
    • The HTC One X sports a 4.7-inch 720p Super LCD display similar to the HTC Titan but with higher resolution and pixel density. Still the latter can’t be equaled to iPhone’s Retina Display, but it is getting closer — 720×1280 pixels and 312ppi pixel density.
    • Though we don’t know what dimensions the phone will come at, the manufacturer has managed to fit all high-end features in a solid housing.
    • The key feature is the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor clocked at 1.5GHz.
    • The One X can take photos with the help of an 8MP rear camera and there is also a VGA frontal camera for web chat. You can check out the sample photo’s quality in our post.
    • Beats Audio.
    • Super connectivity options in face of WiFi (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC.
    • 1800mAh battery.
    • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Sense 4.0.

Cons

• No microSD card extension ability.
    • The limited colors of a notification LED on the device.
    • Support for only microSIM cards.

So is the no microsd support becoming a new trend now? Started with Google Nexus followed by Sony's Xperia S and now HTC Endeavor. I understand the advantage of not needing microsd, that you can just plug your phone to the pc and then still able to play music (or whatever apps) through your phone uninterrupted, but there are still people who find the fix capacity a little...hard to deal with.