[Q] About Kernel Version and Rooting

Search This thread

omer7

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased HTC One S (S3). It is T-mobile phone.

Today I installed CPU Spy in it to check when and for how much my phone goes to deep sleep. But on opening CPU Spy, it gave an error, "No states file found. Are you sure your phone is compatible?. If you are running a custom ROM or kernel, try contacting its developer to inform him that the states file not readable."

My question is, is my phone rooted? Did someone root this phone?

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

(I do not know about kernels or haven't rooted my phone). But this kernel version contains the word "root" in it, may be a stupid question, but does this mean the phone is rooted :eek:?

And secondly is there any way I can check whether my phone is rooted or was ever rooted in the past or not?

Regards :)

NQNH

Sep 15, 2011
Hamburg
Hello everyone,

Today I installed CPU Spy in it to check when and for how much my phone goes to deep sleep. But on opening CPU Spy, it gave an error, "No states file found. Are you sure your phone is compatible?. If you are running a custom ROM or kernel, try contacting its developer to inform him that the states file not readable."

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

(I do not know about kernels or haven't rooted my phone). But this kernel version contains the word "root" in it, may be a stupid question, but does this mean the phone is rooted :eek:?

And secondly is there any way I can check whether my phone is rooted or was ever rooted in the past or not?

as far as I know the "root" in the name is only the name of the user which compiled the kernel.
root is the "admin" user on linux
so, root@abm010#1 means the kernel was compiled by the adminuser on the linux machine with the name abm010#1

correct me if I'm wrong

Reactions: omer7

JohnKoeMan

Feb 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

Go into bootloader (press down volume and power button simultaneously) if it says locked at the top, you're phone is unrooted.
If it says tampered, it is probably rooted.
If you're phone has a custom recovery (like clockworkmod or teamwinprojects) installed it will probably be rooted.
Check for these things and you'll know if you're phone is clean or not :D

omer7

as far as I know the "root" in the name is only the name of the user which compiled the kernel.
so, root@abm010#1 means the kernel was compiled by the adminuser on the linux machine with the name abm010#1

correct me if I'm wrong

Well, I myself do not know about it. But lets see if someone else can confirm it. Thanks for your help.

Btw is something like that mentioned in your phone's kernel version as well?

omer7

Go into bootloader (press down volume and power button simultaneously) if it says locked at the top, you're phone is unrooted.
If you're phone has a custom recovery (like clockworkmod or teamwinprojects) installed it will probably be rooted.

Thanks mate!

Did that, and it says "Locked" at the top left corner of the phone.

Does it mean my phone was never rooted in the past as well?

rootrider

Aug 21, 2010
Starnberg
If you see 'locked' and miss the word 'tampered', it never has been rooted.

The kernel is stock htc, they use the word root in almost all their kernels.

omer7

Sounds like you got what you paid for. ;) You're welcome.

Yeah definitely. I was actually confused to see the word root in kernel version, I thought it was a rooted phone :p

And no doubt it in awesome phone really, i m loving it. So far no lags, very fast phone (for my usage), responsive.

The only issue so far i have seen is of battery consumption by stock browser, which i have posted in some old similar thread in 'one s general forum'. The stock browser is taking too much battery and there is no option to exit it. It seems it remains in RAM even if i m not using it (though not sure).

Other than that it is one of the best phones. Though it has S3 processor, still havent found any issue or slow response from it. :D

And the stock keyboard for me was very difficult to type on. But downloaded ICS keyboard from play store, which is quite better.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
    root@abm010#1
    SMP PREEMPT

correct me if I'm wrong
    Hello everyone,

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
    root@abm010#1
    SMP PREEMPT

Oh thats good then.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app