[APP][TOOL] ADB-Over-WiFi-Helper

Search This thread

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
Free for XDA members and as a thank you for all the information, tools and roms XDA Developers has provided over the years here is something I created that makes it easy to connect adb over tcpip to multiple Android devices. Get rid of the wires!

One click to switch adb on all usb connected devices to tcpip.
One click to switch adb on all tcpip connected device back to usb.
Auto discovery of the devices listening on tcpip.

The application consists of two parts. "Helper.jar" to run on the pc and "Helper.apk" for the device.

View attachment 2455389Helper.jar
- Installs the Helper.apk on the device.
- Attempts to switch adb on the device to use tcpip.
- Sends broadcast messages to look for devices on the network.
- Initiates an adb connection over tcp to any ip that responds to the broadcast.
- Provides a button to switch all usb devices to tcpip.
- Provides a button to switch all tcpip devices to usb which also uninstalls the helper.apk file, leaving no "junk" on the device.

adb-wifi-helper.jpgOn the device, Helper.apk
- Turns on WiFi if not already on.
- Checks and shows if the adb port was indeed opened.
- Listens and responds to udp broadcasts from Helper.jar.

Some android devices will work without root but if you get a red message from the helper on the device, you will need to root it to enable adb in tcpip mode. The rooted method to set adb to use tcpip is used in case the device is rooted.

If you like the tool and want to contribute, please feel free to buy the app on the Play store. The attachment contains exactly the same files for free.

Feedback is welcome and I hope someone finds this useful!

Adrian

UPDATE!!
A new tool I am calling "ADB Master" that includes all functionality of ADB-Over-WiFi-Helper plus a lot more is now also available for free to XDA users.

Get the new ADB Master here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2707556

It is highly recommended to use the new download rather than the file attached to this post!

Attachments

• ADB-Over-WiFi-Helper.zip
    314.8 KB · Views: 3,384
Last edited:

AECRADIO

Aug 31, 2013
Payson, AZ.
www.facebook.com
ADB over wireless

I think this will be a very useful application for anybody requiring to make changes when on the road, or away from one's main computer.
Running ADB over WiFi should be a great addition to anybody's 'tool kit', I for one, look forward to making use of this application.
Many thanks for bringing this to all of us at XDA.
Thank you!

Navneet Suresh

Jun 25, 2013
/Universe/Earth/India/
Nice

Free for XDA members and as a thank you for all the information, tools and roms XDA Developers has provided over the years here is something I created that makes it easy to connect adb over tcpip to multiple Android devices. Get rid of the wires!

The application consists of two parts. "Helper.jar" to run on the pc and "Helper.apk" for the device.

- Initiates an adb connection over tcp to any ip that responds to the broadcast.
- Provides a button to switch all tcpip devices to usb which also uninstalls the helper.apk file, leaving no "junk" on the device.

View attachment 2455388On the device, Helper.apk
- Checks and shows if the adb port was indeed opened

Some android devices will work without root but if you get a red message from the helper on the device, you will need to root it to enable adb in tcpip mode. The rooted method to set adb to use tcpip is used in case the device is rooted.

If you like the tool and want to contribute, please feel free to buy the app on the Play store. The attachment contains exactly the same files for free.

Adrian

Nice tool Bro :good: ;)

rayjr13

May 26, 2011
Thank you for the Christmas gift. I'm on HTC DNA and I am rooted but I get the red port closed message about root required.

No request for root occurs in supersu from this app.

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
Wow, thanks for all the comments!

The helper on the device does not use or need su and ONLY does the following:
1) Checks if the adb tcp port was indeed opened on the device (by creating a tcp connection attempt to it)
2) Listens and then responds to a udp broadcast from the java app.

In future, it could do more.

All the work is done over the USB cable (or WiFi to switch back) using adb from the java app.
In essence, the java app executes the following abd commands to each device (both the "rooted" and non rooted methods are attempted each time):

To turn ON tcpip mode:
adb -s <devicename> tcpip 5555
adb -s <devicename> shell su -c 'setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555'

To turn OFF tcpip mode:
adb -s <devicename> usb
adb -s <devicename> shell su -c 'setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1'

Please explain a bit more what is happening when the red message appears?
Is the device connected over USB and appearing in the left hand list on the java app?

Perhaps post the output from the java app when you press Switch to WiFi.

Last edited:

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
so now if i broke my USB port i can lock bootloader with this?Yes?
Nexus 4

This app needs you to be able to first connect the USB and is intended to make it easier to work with lots of devices at the same time. For a rooted device without USB / damaged USB, any ADB to WiFi switching app on the play store should work to get adb onto WiFi and then, yes, you should be able to execute your required adb commands.

spereree

Jul 3, 2012
Thank you in advance for this very important tool!

This app needs you to be able to first connect the USB and is intended to make it easier to work with lots of devices at the same time. For a rooted device without USB / damaged USB, any ADB to WiFi switching app on the play store should work to get adb onto WiFi and then, yes, you should be able to execute your required adb commands.

I have a HTC One, 4.3 Sense 5.5, ( 3.62.771.3 ), and need to reset it back to stock. My USB port doesn't function when the phone is on.
(Works OK in fastboot mode) - and I need to be S-off, then S-on again (locked, remove tampared via revone, moonshine,
or rumrunner) but all those require USB adb. and I can't do that.

So I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
I have a HTC One, 4.3 Sense 5.5, ( 3.62.771.3 ), and need to reset it back to stock. My USB port doesn't function when the phone is on.
(Works OK in fastboot mode) - and I need to be S-off, then S-on again (locked, remove tampared via revone, moonshine,
or rumrunner) but all those require USB adb. and I can't do that.

So I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

Please note, this app also requires USB ADB to start off.

spereree

Jul 3, 2012
Tried it...

Please note, this app also requires USB ADB to start off.

OK, so I've tried it, and it seems like it can only pick up an ongoing ADB WiFi connection but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
Remember; I can't use USB debugging coz my usb doesn't work when the phone is on. so USB debugging is off, and there is no point using it. I'm using this as an alternative to restore back 100%.

(1) I pushed the apk file to the phone, using "WiFi File explorer pro"
(2) I installed it using "APK installer"
(3) Ran Helper.jar
(4) Opened an already installed WiFi ADB app on my phone, and established a connection (granted SU first)
(5) ran your app, "ADB over wifi helper" - it picked up the connection (showed green, " ... listening on port 5555 ... ", etc)

Back to the Helper.jar, all it does is saying "Searching - Hello to 255.255.255.255" "Timeout"
I was assuming it would have automatically connected it for me (say running a command like "adb connect ip.address:5555" )

or am I getting this wrong?

I kept the path to my android sdk

****Also, I used the mini sdk (It's quite popular, so I'm assuming most users will have this) and I'm missing the "platform-tools" folder. I just have fastboot and adb,exe and some dll files. So, can you provide a link we could get the required "platform-tools" folder alone? (zipped) ****

However, when I connect manually via command prompt, "adb connect ip.address:5555" the Helper.jar automatically detects it, and the option to Switch devices to USB appears (which I will not use, personally)

But the "Searching" cycle still continues.

Also, what is the use of the large text entry form below the "Searching" indication?

Again, thanks for this tool!!!

P.S. imagine a user trying to do what is said in this thread, but doesn't have a functioning USB port to use adb with, and has to result with your app (alongside another WiFi adb app) - This will fill the gap! as in ANYONE can recover / flash roms, etc, even if you have a broken USB port!!!

Last edited:

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
Back to the Helper.jar, all it does is saying "Searching - Hello to 255.255.255.255" "Timeout"
I was assuming it would have automatically connected it for me (say running a command like "adb connect ip.address:5555" )

or am I getting this wrong?
This is not wrong. After the helper.apk was running on the device, and showing you the port was open, the jar app should be able to discover it. Are both the pc and device connected to the same wifi access point, and that access point allows the two to talk? I assume so based on your later comments. What OS version?

I kept the path to my android sdk

****Also, I used the mini sdk (It's quite popular, so I'm assuming most users will have this) and I'm missing the "platform-tools" folder. I just have fastboot and adb,exe and some dll files. So, can you provide a link we could get the required "platform-tools" folder alone? (zipped) ****
Just point the app to the folder containing the adb executable.

However, when I connect manually via command prompt, "adb connect ip.address:5555" the Helper.jar automatically detects it, and the option to Switch devices to USB appears (which I will not use, personally)

But the "Searching" cycle still continues.
Searching will always continue. Something is either blocking the udp broadcast or the device is not allowing helper.apk to get them.

Also, what is the use of the large text entry form below the "Searching" indication?

That is a log of what the app is doing

spereree

Jul 3, 2012
Are both the pc and device connected to the same wifi access point, and that access point allows the two to talk? I assume so based on your later comments. What OS version?
I'm on Windows 8.1 x64
and both devices are on the same network (I'm using my PC as the hotspot via a program called connectify. I'm using a USB 3G dongle for internet.

Just point the app to the folder containing the adb executable.
So that means I've done that OK...

Searching will always continue. Something is either blocking the udp broadcast or the device is not allowing helper.apk to get them.
I believe that might be the problem, but I don't see where that issue comes from...

Also as an addition, When I connect adb over WiFi on my phone, and I list all devices, I see my phone (as an IP address) but with "unauthorized" next to it (please search on the this issue for more info)... This was a brick wall I hit, when I was trying to get my phone 100% to stock, to send it to repairs for my USB issue... MEaning I can't run any shell commands, etc... via ADB... I was hopping this app could find a way around that?

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
I'm on Windows 8.1 x64
and both devices are on the same network (I'm using my PC as the hotspot via a program called connectify. I'm using a USB 3G dongle for internet.

So that means I've done that OK...

I believe that might be the problem, but I don't see where that issue comes from...

Also as an addition, When I connect adb over WiFi on my phone, and I list all devices, I see my phone (as an IP address) but with "unauthorized" next to it (please search on the this issue for more info)... This was a brick wall I hit, when I was trying to get my phone 100% to stock, to send it to repairs for my USB issue... MEaning I can't run any shell commands, etc... via ADB... I was hopping this app could find a way around that?

You have more than one thing going on here.

1) The program you mentioned "connectify" *may* be blocking the broadcast for discovery to work.
2) The "unauthorized" message is due to an out of date adb on the pc. You should upgrade to the latest version in order to connect to newer android devices. Note that you would also need to accept a permission prompt on the android screen.
3) I am also thinking you need to enable USB debugging for anything to work properly when executing adb commands (even over wifi with a faulty usb port).
4) If you get it back to stock, you may want to see if the USB issue you have is fixed.
5) You may also actually use fastboot to flash it back to stock?

spereree

Jul 3, 2012
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I'll try all the options and get back to you.

4) If you get it back to stock, you may want to see if the USB issue you have is fixed.
5) You may also actually use fastboot to flash it back to stock?

As for getting back to stock, I would also love to remove the tampered and "unlocked"
warnings from the top, so that I can take it back to repairs under warranty.
So actually ADB over WiFi need to work flawlessly as if I connected the USB cable,
This is so that when rumrunner is run on the device, no problems should be encountered.
Even after multiple reboots (hence, this application should load ASAP when Android booted.)

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
New version out soon

Since there are nearly 1000 downloads, I was going to bring out a new version I've been working on and I wanted some feedback or thoughts about what you would like to see.

The new version at the moment will give you these new features in the JAR app:

- Improved: device lists that will allow you to multi-select devices to perform actions on
- New: list of all apps on all devices (replaces the "console" at the bottom)
- New: Install an APK from your PC onto all selected devices
- New: One click uninstall of multiple apps on all selected devices
- New: One click enable / disable of multiple apps on all selected devices

Is there anything else one would want to do on all devices?

Reactions: robert1968

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb-wifi-helper.jpgOn the device, Helper.apk
    - Turns on WiFi if not already on.
    - Checks and shows if the adb port was indeed opened.

Adrian

UPDATE!!
    A new tool I am calling "ADB Master" that includes all functionality of ADB-Over-WiFi-Helper plus a lot more is now also available for free to XDA users.

Get the new ADB Master here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2707556

It is highly recommended to use the new download rather than the file attached to this post!
    If you need an icon or Banner created let me know.
    Nice work!
    New version out soon

Since there are nearly 1000 downloads, I was going to bring out a new version I've been working on and I wanted some feedback or thoughts about what you would like to see.

The new version at the moment will give you these new features in the JAR app:

- Improved: device lists that will allow you to multi-select devices to perform actions on
    - New: list of all apps on all devices (replaces the "console" at the bottom)
    - New: Install an APK from your PC onto all selected devices
    - New: One click uninstall of multiple apps on all selected devices
    - New: One click enable / disable of multiple apps on all selected devices

Is there anything else one would want to do on all devices?
    UPDATE!!
    A new tool I am calling ADB Master that replaces this is now available here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2707556

I will leave this one up so you have a choice!