Make myTouch 32b Legal Up To Latest 1.6 DMD64

Search This thread

1gr8papa

Feb 27, 2010
STL
This is a Step-by-Step fool proof guide to getting your T-Mobile myTouch 3g (32b) back to factory firmware with the ability to once again receive all official T-Mobile OTA (Over-The-Air) Updates.

*Note* There are two files named updated.zip that are both needed. We will keep them seperated by two folders needed at two totally different steps during installattion.The fisrt gets us back to 1.6 and the other gets us the newer radios for1.6...and Yes it works. Files are official....Nay-Sayers! LOL

*Note*
Optional SD Card Format
From the settings menu of the phone, Scroll down to "SD Card & phone storage." Press "Unmount SD Card." Next press "Format SD card." If you go this route you will have to reinstall all media you had on the SD Card, i.e. pics, music...etc

STEP 1

Create a Folder named ANDROID on the desktop. In that create 3 sub-folders. Name the 3 sub-folders in this order: Cupcake, Donut Update 1, Donut Update 2

STEP 2
You need a copy of SAPPIMG.img. It puts the phone back to the "Cupcake" or 1.5 Firmware Version.

Download it from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yezotmjyuww

Save it in the Cupcake folder you just created.

STEP 3
Plug your phone into your PC and click "USB Connected" on the Notification Tab, then mount image. Your PC can now read and write to your SD Card. Find your downloaded copy of SAPPING.img and copy it to your SD Card. Unmount, unplug and power off your phone.

STEP 4
Reboot phone into boot mode by holding down volume down key while pressing the power key. It should boot into HBOOT and automatically run the SAPPIMG.img you just copied onto the SD card Click. Follow the onscreen instructions to initiate the automated update. Use trackball to accept.
If it did not boot to HBOOT, read the screen and do what it says to "Reboot to HBOOT." From there everything else should once again be automated. Follow the onscreen instructions to initiate the automated update. Use trackball to accept. Once the update is done and it says "Installation Complete," reboot by pressing Home and Back buttons together.

STEP 5Once rebooted, do the initial setup. Once setup is complete, plug the phone back into the PC and re-mount the SD Card. It is safe to delete the SAPPIMG.img file from the SD Card now. You can also check to make sure the Firmware Version 1.5 is correct and installed by going to Settings-> About phone.

STEP 6You need to Download the second file needed named update.zip. It gets us back to Android 1.6

Download it from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?t3zlwdzzqqx

Save it in Donut Update 1 folder. Once download is complete, copy the file update.zip to the SD Card like before. Unmount, unplug, and power off the phone.

STEP 7Reboot the phone into recovery mode by this time holding down the Home and Power buttons together this time. A picture with tirangle and phone will show press Home and Power again to get to the actual recovery screen. You now have 2 options to apply this update...either or:

*Note* Use trackball to navigate the cursor in this new menu

1. Apply update.zip from SD Card. This option will leave all user data that you previously put on the phone after the SAPPIMG install, i.e. Contacts, Apps, Settings...etc.

2. Wipe/Factory reset. This option will completely remove all user data from the phone. A clean slate if you will. If you choose this option, when the reset finishes, Make sure you do Option 1 Apply update.zip from SD Card. Once the update is done and it says "Installation Complete," reboot by pressing Home and Back buttons together.

STEP 8

Once rebooted, if you chose option 2 in the previous step you have to redo the initial setup. Plug the phone back into the PC and re-mount the SD Card. It is safe to delete the update.zip from the phone now. You can also check to make sure the Firmware Version 1.6 is correct and installed by going to Settings-> About phone.

STEP 9

You need to Download the third file needed named update.zip. It gets us back the latest radios.

Download it from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ojnnyrjzneg

Save it in Donut Update 2 folder. Once download is complete, copy the file update.zip to the SD Card like before. Unmount, unplug, and power off the phone.

STEP 10 = Finale
Reboot the phone into recovery mode by this time holding down the Home and Power buttons together this time. A picture with tirangle and phone will show press Home and Power again to get to the actual recovery screen. You now have 2 options to apply this update...either or:

*Note* Use trackball to navigate the cursor in this new menu

1. Apply update.zip from SD Card. This option will leave all user data that you previously put on the phone after the SAPPIMG install, i.e. Contacts, Apps, Settings...etc.
2. Wipe/Factory reset. This option will completely remove all user data from the phone. A clean slate if you will. If you choose this option, when the reset finishes, Make sure you do Option 1 Apply update.zip from SD Card. Once the update is done and it says "Installation Complete," reboot by pressing Home and Back buttons together.

Once rebooted, if you chose option 2 in the previous step you have to redo the initial setup. Plug the phone back into the PC and re-mount the SD Card. It is safe to delete the update.zip from the phone now. You can also check to make sure the Firmware Version 1.6 is correct and installed by going to Settings-> About phone. That is it!

;)Now you are good to go and are waitng for T-Mobile and their 2.0 or whatever other goodies they decide to throw or not to throw our way.

Last edited:

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
once you get to cupcake you can just wait a couple hours then you will get an ota update to update to doughnut and the newest radio so i dont see the point in doing all of this work when just isntall cupcake and wait

O

outlawnunn

no ota to 1.6

I have been on 1.5 for 24hrs and no ota back yo 1.6?

M9x3mos

May 12, 2008
Around
Then follow the steps to manually flash the updates from here that is what o did.
Technically I think the updates are only if you have internet with tmobile and can take up to 72 hours.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using XDA App

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
I have been on 1.5 for 24hrs and no ota back yo 1.6?

Then follow the steps to manually flash the updates from here that is what o did.
Technically I think the updates are only if you have internet with tmobile and can take up to 72 hours.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using XDA App

Never took me more than 24 hours.

Restoring data with mybackup or titanium backup can actually prevent the update from installing, so if you're not getting it, do a factory reset and don't install anything that isn't from the market until you've received your update.

Last edited:

Akujin

Aug 3, 2009
Maui, HI
Sony Xperia 5 II
Does this method also remove the Recovery?

Can I install just the stock rom but keep my recovery? If I do this, will it disable my ability to flash custom roms without re-exploiting the phone?

Akujin

Aug 3, 2009
Maui, HI
Sony Xperia 5 II
I just did this but now I'm stuck at the green android welcome screen with no data service and I'm out of the country. Am I pretty much ****ed? Four corners trick doesn't seem to work. Tried it like a hundred times.

ziggy34

Sep 2, 2010
SE Michigan
Well this did not work out so well.

Everything seemed to go fine. After the last step, rebooted the phone, and it came up with a picture of a box with an arrow, so I just let it sit there. Came back an hour or so later and the screen was off. No charging light or anything.

Pressed power button and nothing. Tried everything I can think of. So do you think I bricked the phone some how or did the phone just die.

Oh, Battery was fully charged, and it was plugged in while doing the downgrade from CM 6 back to stock.

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Well this did not work out so well.

Everything seemed to go fine. After the last step, rebooted the phone, and it came up with a picture of a box with an arrow, so I just let it sit there. Came back an hour or so later and the screen was off. No charging light or anything.

Pressed power button and nothing. Tried everything I can think of. So do you think I bricked the phone some how or did the phone just die.

Oh, Battery was fully charged, and it was plugged in while doing the downgrade from CM 6 back to stock.

If the phone refuses to boot you could always apply sappimg.nbh again and this time just let it download 1.6 ota. It only takes about a day or so.

ziggy34

Sep 2, 2010
SE Michigan
If the phone refuses to boot you could always apply sappimg.nbh again and this time just let it download 1.6 ota. It only takes about a day or so.

Phone won't power on or anything. When plugged in, there is no charging light.

It's just DEAD.

Edit: I've tried two other batteries and another charger also.

Last edited:

amazinglarry311

Apr 11, 2010
Anyone who has used this method to downgrade, or someone using stock firmware, could you enter the phone information menu by dialing *#*#info#*#* tell me what call redirect says, true or false? I want to verify something.

ziggy34

Sep 2, 2010
SE Michigan
Anyone who has used this method to downgrade, or someone using stock firmware, could you enter the phone information menu by dialing *#*#info#*#* tell me what call redirect says, true or false? I want to verify something.

Ok, downgraded two phones, one worked ok, the other I guess is bricked. :mad:

anyways on the one that worked, Call Redirect: false

And can anyone help with the other phone?

when plugged in to either computer or A/C, there is no charge light,

read a couple posts above for more info on the problem I am having.

Last edited: