[Kernel / boot.img / STOCK][8/22] - V3 ** Unsecured** VRALG1 kernel with init.d

Search This thread

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
As the name implies this the unsecure stock kernel boot.img

You can use the adb remount command to push files to system now!

YOU MUST HAVE AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER FOR THIS! See here for more info: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30274025&postcount=317

If you dont know what this then it may not be for you. This is more so developers can use in there ROMS.

No need to ask to use it, just give credit if you do.

Download HERE

Last edited:

Hero

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 15, 2010
Hidden Hills
:D

Would it be too much to ask for an AOSP kernel (ICS)? I'd do it myself, but I don't know much about kernels lol

Scott

:D

Would it be too much to ask for an AOSP kernel (ICS)? I'd do it myself, but I don't know much about kernels lol

This is a Stock kernel. I just modified the RAM Disk to remove security and to add init.d support and set up the script so it can be flashed.

I didint build the kernel. Its just stock.

How come your user name is in italics BTW?

Hero

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 15, 2010
Hidden Hills
This is a Stock kernel. I just modified the RAM Disk to remove security and to add init.d support and set up the script so it can be flashed.

I didint build the kernel. Its just stock.

How come your user name is in italics BTW?

I know it's stock. I was just wondering whether you were able to get an unsecured AOSP kernel for all of the AOSP ROMs out there. It'd also help with Sense 4.

To get your username in italics (RDs only):
  • Go to User CP
  • Select "Group Membership" from the side bar
  • Select "Recognized Developer - Identify me as a member of this group"
  • Save

Scott

I know it's stock. I was just wondering whether you were able to get an unsecured AOSP kernel for all of the AOSP ROMs out there. It'd also help with Sense 4.

• Go to User CP
  • Save

To make it unsecure its just some changes in the RAM Disk. Im sure if the AOSP guys are out they know how to do that. If not they can reach out to me for help but they tend to know more than I do about kernels and all :eek:

Thanks for the heads up the italics!

This is mostly for developers that want to do things that having a locked boot.img normally stops you from doing. An average user will gain little value...

But lets say you were making a theme and had to "push" files to the /system folder you can NOW do that with this boot.img. It makes Dev's lives a LOT more easy now, lol

Reactions: nosympathy

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
To make it unsecure its just some changes in the RAM Disk. Im sure if the AOSP guys are out they know how to do that. If not they can reach out to me for help but they tend to know more than I do about kernels and all :eek:

This is mostly for developers that want to do things that having a locked boot.img normally stops you from doing. An average user will gain little value...

But lets say you were making a theme and had to "push" files to the /system folder you can NOW do that with this boot.img. It makes Dev's lives a LOT more easy now, lol

yes it does, copying files to my sdcard and then moving them with root explorer, or packaging them in a flashable zip and copying to sdcard and flashing everytime is frustrating. specially if your doing it every 10-15 mins.

Scott

yes it does, copying files to my sdcard and then moving them with root explorer, or packaging them in a flashable zip and copying to sdcard and flashing everytime is frustrating. specially if your doing it every 10-15 mins.

Tell me about man, tell me about it!

And I confirmed init.d support is functional as well!

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
I know this is just a simplification process for devs and it helps skip the extra step of moving files somewhere else first then move to /system with root explorer if you're rooted, so please don't ask if I'm a dev, the answer is: no, I'm not. I would appreciate if someone could only answer this question without getting into other details. I would like to know if it would harm or break anything if I have VRALF2 rom and radio/stock kernel and I flash a VRALG1 kernel, but keep the rest as it is? Would this newer kernel work with my older version rom, or do I have to flash the whole package first? I basically don't want to renew my rom to the new G1 version since there is no apparent improvement (it's actually worse) over the older F2 version rom, since it downgrades certain things.

Thanks

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
I know this is just a simplification process for devs and it helps skip the extra step of moving files somewhere else first then move to /system with root explorer if you're rooted, so please don't ask if I'm a dev, the answer is: no, I'm not. I would appreciate if someone could only answer this question without getting into other details. I would like to know if it would harm or break anything if I have VRALF2 rom and radio/stock kernel and I flash a VRALG1 kernel, but keep the rest as it is? Would this newer kernel work with my older version rom, or do I have to flash the whole package first? I basically don't want to renew my rom to the new G1 version since there is no apparent improvement (it's actually worse) over the older F2 version rom, since it downgrades certain things.

Thanks

When you say no improvement are you talking the Modems? If you are only flashung a rom and havent changed the kernel then it would be the same as just flashing the g1 modem with a different rom correct.

jb_alphamale

Apr 11, 2011
Hey scrosler how can I identify that the flash worked. The ROM booted normally but in the kernel name I don't see any change.

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
When you say no improvement are you talking the Modems? If you are only flashung a rom and havent changed the kernel then it would be the same as just flashing the g1 modem with a different rom correct.

I'm not talking about the modem, I'm asking about the kernel, if I flash THIS unsecure (G1) kernel, but otherwise have ALL F2 stuff (modem, rom, etc), will it mess up anything? I think u misunderstood my question, I don't want to flash a G1 rom or modem, just the kernel, because the modems are same, so no improvement there, and the F2 rom is better than the G1 rom, so I'm keeping everything as F2 like it was, but flashing this G1 kernel. Will that be compatible/ok?

Hipcatjack

Oct 21, 2010
I'm not talking about the modem, I'm asking about the kernel, if I flash THIS unsecure (G1) kernel, but otherwise have ALL F2 stuff (modem, rom, etc), will it mess up anything? I think u misunderstood my question, I don't want to flash a G1 rom or modem, just the kernel, because the modems are same, so no improvement there, and the F2 rom is better than the G1 rom, so I'm keeping everything as F2 like it was, but flashing this G1 kernel. Will that be compatible/ok?

I tried this out and did not see ANY difference. But then again it's midnight and I won't know if anything will be wonky until I use it at work tomorrow

sent from a locked downloader

Scott

Thanks

Well, you can try it but my experieince tells me that you may loose LTE and WiFi because yo dont have matching modules. The modules (aka drivers if it were windfows) hare specific to a kernel. If you took the /system/lib/modules folder from a G1 ROM like mine or nosympathy and pushed them in I bet it would work just fine. But why on earth are you on older build?

No, Gerneally ROMS dont include the radios from my experience. BUt I heard int he samsung world Devs do things differently so I dont honestly now.

Hey scrosler how can I identify that the flash worked. The ROM booted normally but in the kernel name I don't see any change.

Thats easy... Before you flashed the boot.img was USB deggign turned on? If not it would be turned on now.

If USB degging was already on or not on turn it on... Then... connect phone and wait for the connection to finish. Then type "adb remount" (assuming you have ADB handy) and it should say "remount succeeded" If it says operation not permitted then it did not take.

I tried this out and did not see ANY difference. But then again it's midnight and I won't know if anything will be wonky until I use it at work tomorrow

sent from a locked downloader

What difference did you expect? Its a STOCK kernel and will behave like a stock kernel except give full and true root access to the device. Its not for the end user its for developers. Of course this ramdisk will also allow us to start modifying and shutting off services, tweak things at the kernel level, etc... But right now, this is just bone stock with init.d support and root level access to the file system via ADB.

Hope that explains it some.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the name implies this the unsecure stock kernel boot.img

You can use the adb remount command to push files to system now!

YOU MUST HAVE AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER FOR THIS! See here for more info: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30274025&postcount=317

If you dont know what this then it may not be for you. This is more so developers can use in there ROMS.

No need to ask to use it, just give credit if you do.

Download HERE
    I threw this together for ya Scott. If you want me to pull it I will. But it's the latest kernel from VRALG7.. Well.. Here it is. I just grabbed it from Scotts new ota stock Rom along with the modules folder.
    FYI for those interested...

Posted v3 - Corrected incorrect adbd in /sbin for proper colors when using screen capture while in Dalvik Debug Manager. Does include modules as well.

If you dont know what Dalvik Debug Manager is then you dont need to worry about this.
    New clean ROM soon then?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Well, this is more for developers.

It just unlocks the /system partition so you can push files. I mean, yeah, it will be in the next CleanROM but its not urgent from a user perspective.

• Go to User CP
    • Save