[Guide] Format in ext4 internal memory and keep data

Search This thread

philippe734

Aug 14, 2012
Paris (FR)
github.com
Hi all,

Here another method to format to ext4 your internal sdcard (usb storage) of any Android device. This trick work also with external sdcard. Since Galaxy S3, many devices have already the internal sdcard in ext4, so check your sdcard file system type with Diskinfo from Play Store. This guide is great for Galaxy S1 or S2 for exemple.

Required :
- Your computer
- Android with recovery (cwm, Philz...)
- Live CD of Parted Magic 2013 : link
- USB cable
- Android 4.x

In brief :
- Copy all data of your internal sdcard to your computer.
- Format to ext4 your internal sdcard with Parted Magic AND NOT WINDOWS.
- Restore your data to your internal sdcard.
- Fix permissions* (very important).
- Check.
"Thanks chrhei, laotzy"

Why ext4 ?
- Ext4 is native file system for Android, while exfat is not.
- The system internal partitions (/efs /data /system /cache /preload) use ext4, natively.
- The famous music bug on Android 4.4 AOSP will be gone.
- CM has poor exfat support, while fat32 is not recommended for big files (over 2 GB) because it doesn't work well with them.
- Ext4 has better stability and performance, especially on Android devices, compared to exfat and fat.
"Thanks JustARchi"

Steps by steps :
- Download iso of Parted Magic 2013 freeware (Mac, Linux, Windows) : here.
- Burn the live cd on a real CD or make a live usb stick.
- On your computer, reboot on Parted Magic (live cd or usb stick) :
beb3a3c74ec33870365c680941128c18.jpg

- On your Android device, reboot in recovery :
d9753cb878a43dabda5e8056845666de.jpg

- Plug Android to computer with usb cable.
- In recovery, first select mount and storage. Then, select mount USB storage. Then, don't touch recovery upto the end of process. If you go back, then recovery unmount sdcard and break the process :
ecc8f74ee7a0b53c0f65909b049d697f.jpg

- On computer, with Parted Magic, open file manager and check if you can browse files of your internal sdcard :
c2449d2e10e52e1bd58b7430b69932a6.jpg

- If browsing ok, then copy all data of internal sdcard to computer.
- Please note carefully the name of your internal storage in parted magic, like sde1 or sdb2…
- On computer, open Partition editor (Gparted).
- On partition editor, select your internal sdcard from its name.
- Be carefull to select your internal sdcard and not your hard drive of your computer !
- On partition editor, format your internal sdcard to ext4 from a right click on its partition. :
9ea3f0d28c205a2e9520084ce1d3afc0.jpg

- Wait the end of process :
1c75795129028ee7f36451bfb3a2443d.jpg

- When the format is over, reboot the recovery NOT Android, do it from the advanced options.
- In recovery, go to storage and select USB mount storage.
- On computer with Parted Magic, open file manager and go to your internal sdcard now ext4.
- Restore all data saved to your internal sdcard.
- Reboot android.
- With a terminal in Android, execute the command: su
785216c1e50a05c9c8fd6870e27cf996e39457.jpg

- Before you start fixing permissions don't forget to type su in your phone's Terminal
- Then, check permissions and type :
ls -la /mnt/media_rw/
The return will be like :
drwxrwxr-x media_rw media_rw 2014-08-20 21:56 sdcard0
drwxrwxr-x media_rw media_rw 2014-08-21 18:32 sdcard1
- To fix permissions, you have to copy everything below, line by line, into the Terminal. Use Android with a web browser as firefox to navigate upto here and copy past to the terminal this lines :
cd /mnt/media_rw/
find sdcard0 -type d -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
find sdcard0 -type d -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;
find sdcard0 -type f -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
find sdcard0 -type f -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;
- Check permissions to see the differences :
ls -la /mnt/media_rw/
- If it is an external sdcard, do the same but replace sdcard0 by sdcard1
- Reboot Android normally (not into terminal).
- Voilà !
- Now, you need to check 2 things : the permissions and the ext4 file system of the sdcard formated :

Please, verify this :
Check permissions : To check if permissions is done, go to browsing files under Android, with an app to browsing files as es file explorer. Then, create a directory at the root of your sdcard ext4 (as /storage/sdcard0/), then delete it. If you will able to delete the folder, then permissions is fine. If not, then go back to follow again steps about fix permissions.
Check your ext4 sdcard: Use Diskinfo from Play Store to check the file system of your sdcard before and after formated : here. There will several partitions, please select the sdcard formated and check its file system.

Video of this guide, but please, read the guide before :
Part 1, backup and format under Parted Magic : here
Part 2, fix permissions with a terminal under Android : here

Why ext4 and another methods here : http://bit.ly/1oYzi3A

Windows users : After formated to ext4, to access to your internal sdcard, you must connect your device in USB in MTP and not USB mass storage (UMS). Because with UMS, no way to access to your internal sdcard from windows. You can set MTP in the parameters of Android :
7848d6f64fa3fcdc0299eaf794a45967.jpg

Anyway, with UMS, to read the new ext4 volumes in Windows, use ext2Fsd.

* Fix Permissions : after formated the sdcard to ext4, there is a very annoying issue. No way to create or delete directory or file at root of this storage. So, there will be big troubles, like unable to backup, no way to install new apps which have to write on this storage, unable to update CM... Without fix permissions, the sdcard will be a kind of read protected storage at root directory.

Before formated, the internal sdcard on my Galaxy S2 was vfat. Here my Galaxy S2 running CM11, after format's process, the internal sdcard is now ext4 :
127da956da5c72649b4b338878a73da1.jpg

Last edited:

laotzy

Feb 5, 2012
Hi all,

Here another method to format in ext4 your internal sdcard (internal memory) of any Android device.

Required :
- Your computer
- Android with cwm recovery (or other like Philz)
- USB cable

In brief :
- Format in ext4 your internal sdcard with Parted Magic.

Steps by steps :
- Download iso of Parted Magic 2013 freeware (Mac, Linux, Windows) : link
- On your computer, reboot on Parted Magic (live cd or usb stick)
- On your Android device, reboot in recovery.
- In recovery, go to mount storage and select something like mount USB storage.
- On computer, under Parted Magic, open file manager and check if you can browse files of the internal memory.
- If browse ok, then copy all data of internal sdcard to computer.
- Please note carefully the name of your internal memory in parted magic, like sde1 or sdb2…
- On computer, open Partition editor.
- On partition editor, select your internal memory from its name.
- Be carefully to select your internal sdcard and not your hard drive of your computer !
- On partition editor, format your internal sdcard to ext4 from a right click on its partition.
- Wait the end of process.
- When the format is over, reboot the recovery (not Android) from the advanced options.
- On computer, open file manager and go to the internal memory now in ext4.
- Restore all data saved to your internal memory
- Reboot android
- Voilà !

Why format in ext4 and another methods here : http://bit.ly/1oYzi3A
My question is - can't I use the option of formatting the Internal memory to ext4 from my Recovery? There is such an option there. My tlf is Galaxy S2, by Samsung + CM11

Last edited:

philippe734

Aug 14, 2012
Paris (FR)
github.com
My question is - can't I use the option of formatting the Internal memory to ext4 from my Recovery? There is such an option there. My tlf is Galaxy S2, by Samsung + CM11
Format in ext4 the internal sdcard from recovery don't work, even if option is available. Use parted magic can avoid unexpected issues [emoji106] I did it with success on my Galaxy S2 running CM11.

laotzy

Feb 5, 2012
Hi all,

Here another method to format in ext4 your internal sdcard (internal memory) of any Android device.

Required :
- Your computer
- Android with cwm recovery (or other like Philz)
- USB cable

In brief :
- Format in ext4 your internal sdcard with Parted Magic.

Steps by steps :
- Download iso of Parted Magic 2013 freeware (Mac, Linux, Windows) : link
- On your computer, reboot on Parted Magic (live cd or usb stick)
- On your Android device, reboot in recovery.
- In recovery, go to mount storage and select something like mount USB storage.
- On computer, under Parted Magic, open file manager and check if you can browse files of the internal memory.
- If browse ok, then copy all data of internal sdcard to computer.
- Please note carefully the name of your internal memory in parted magic, like sde1 or sdb2…
- On computer, open Partition editor.
- On partition editor, select your internal memory from its name.
- Be carefully to select your internal sdcard and not your hard drive of your computer !
- On partition editor, format your internal sdcard to ext4 from a right click on its partition.
- Wait the end of process.
- When the format is over, reboot the recovery (not Android) from the advanced options.
- On computer, open file manager and go to the internal memory now in ext4.
- Restore all data saved to your internal memory
- Reboot android
- Voilà !

Why format in ext4 and another methods here : http://bit.ly/1oYzi3A
I have formatted Internal memory into ext4 and now my PC doesn't recognize it :cool: so I cannot copy all tha Data back to the internal memory. What I did wrong?
I think I know... I did use the option of the phone :) So I am going back to default and then I will try again using Magic CD

Last edited:

chrhei

Nov 1, 2010
Bochum
EXT4 on SGS2

My ext4 experience with stock CM11, always latest nightly:

- Backup up your phone data (sdcard0 and sdcard1) first, make the data available on your computer
- Boot your favorite Linux (e.g. from Live CD)
- CWM into my SGS2, connect phone via USB to your Linux computer
- Mount your SD cards to USB
- sdcard0 and sdcard1 should be accessible on your Linux Box
- Convert both partitions to ext4 (do not use CWM!, doesn't work for me) and make them available to the Linux computer
- Copy your backed-up data back to your phone (restore) using your Linux computer
- Reboot your phone again into recovery

- ADB to your phone as root

- Check permissions
ls -la /mnt/media_rw/

- Fix permissions (user media_rw, uid=1023, group media_rw, gid=1023):

cd /mnt/media_rw/

find sdcard1 -type d -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
find sdcard1 -type d -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;
find sdcard1 -type f -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
find sdcard1 -type f -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;

- FINISHED

To access (r/w) both sdcards (0/1) from a Linux computer your >Linux user< needs to be a member of a created GROUP called "media_rw" with the GID "1023". For "normal" data transfers use the MTP mode of your phone, so you will not run into permission issues.

Regards,

HippyTed

Jul 17, 2012
Nottingham
Thankyou chrhei. Please can you also say more about what options to choose when formatting sdcard0 and sdcard1 to ext4. Or do you simply let mkfs.ext4 decide based on its defaults?

Last edited:

chrhei

Nov 1, 2010
Bochum
Thankyou chrhei. Please can you also say more about what options to choose when formatting sdcard0 and sdcard1 to ext4. Or do you simply let mkfs.ext4 decide based on its defaults?

Yes, no extra options, just created the ext4 file system. I guess you ask because of the journal, no problems so far.

laotzy

Feb 5, 2012
Could you tell me if the telefone, after formatting both memories into ext4, consumes more battery? Or, there is no difference? And also, if you format to ext4 only your internal memory and the external one is left with FAT32 could there be a conflict between the two memories? When you update the CM firmware, do you have to format the memories again? I am speaking about Galaxy S2...

Last edited:

chrhei

Nov 1, 2010
Bochum
Could you tell me if the telefone, after formatting both memories into ext4, consumes more battery? Or, there is no difference? And also, if you format to ext4 only your internal memory and the external one is left with FAT32 could there be a conflict between the two memories? When you update the CM firmware, do you have to format the memories again? I am speaking about Galaxy S2...

Doesn't matter if you only convert internal or external SD card. But ext4 is very reliable and the overall performance is slightly better. Battery consumption is the same.

Reactions: laotzy

Belamigo

Sep 2, 2013
Funchal
- Format in ext4 your internal sdcard with Parted Magic AND NOT WINDOWS
I am curious, why can't you use a partition manager running under MS Windows, so long as you correctly specify the Ext4 format for the Linux partition? I know Parted Magic isn't an MS Windows program -- I don't mean you should use that with Windows, but aren't there are other partitioning utilities that do run with the MS operating system?
Or not??

chrhei

Nov 1, 2010
Bochum
I am curious, why can't you use a partition manager running under MS Windows, so long as you correctly specify the Ext4 format for the Linux partition? I know Parted Magic isn't an MS Windows program -- I don't mean you should use that with Windows, but aren't there are other partitioning utilities that do run with the MS operating system?
Or not??

If you don't know how to use Linux Ext4 is nothing for you. Don't use it.

Belamigo

Sep 2, 2013
Funchal
OK, now I see the reason.

Because after formated, windows will not recognize the partition. ...
Ah, OK, I see your point. I read your thread again, and you're changing the entire card to Ext4, and not making a card with two partitions and two filesystems.

I was curious because I'm about to prepare an two-partition SD card to be hardlinked to /data, and I was following instructions for this, where the thread's author suggests a Windows-based partitioning/formatting utility.

So when I saw you saying not to do it, I was getting concerned that the other directions may be wrong.

Last edited:

laotzy

Feb 5, 2012
philippe734, something went wrong with my ext4...:crying: I did everything in accordance with the Manual, Internal memory was formatted into ext4 and then I copied back all the files to the internal memory. While in PartedMagic the content of the Internal memory is seen, no problem. But when I reboot the device it works but it says, not the computer but the telefone, that there is no memory... The external card and its content, still in fat32 are seen in any file manager. I think I might have done something wrong but I can't figure out, what exectly:eek:Using CWM I connected the phone to the computer and formatted the system back to fat32, so the telefone works as before but I would like to understand what goes wrong when I try to format it to ext4... Any idea?

Last edited:

chrhei

Nov 1, 2010
Bochum
philippe734, something went wrong with my ext4...:crying:..... formatted into ext4 and then I copied back all the files to the before but I would like to understand what goes wrong when I try to format it to ext4... Any idea?

Stop crying, read post #6 and get used to learn a little about Linux. Or fallback to VFAT.

Reactions: laotzy

laotzy

Feb 5, 2012
Stop crying, read post #6 and get used to learn a little about Linux. Or fallback to VFAT.
Dear chrchei, thank you for pointing me to where I could find detailed info about the S2. My problem is that I am not of Linux, so many things are not clear to me. I did read a lot about Linux recently, I did even manage to install Virtual Machine and thus I am able to play with Ubuntu but still, it's rather difficult for me to use all those terminal commands. I am an amateur, not a professional :)
P.S. OK, I am on the last Nightly on my Galaxy S2. After having been fighting with my Linux trying to format Internal memory into ext4 and receiving errors constantly, I tried to use the CWM's resources on board and, oh wonder(!!!), the memory was formatted into ext4 without any problem! Tomorrow will do the same with the external memory. (SD card)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Here another method to format to ext4 your internal sdcard (usb storage) of any Android device. This trick work also with external sdcard. Since Galaxy S3, many devices have already the internal sdcard in ext4, so check your sdcard file system type with Diskinfo from Play Store. This guide is great for Galaxy S1 or S2 for exemple.

Required :
    - Your computer
    - Android with recovery (cwm, Philz...)
    - USB cable
    - Android 4.x

In brief :
    - Format to ext4 your internal sdcard with Parted Magic AND NOT WINDOWS.
    - Fix permissions* (very important).
    - Check.
    "Thanks chrhei, laotzy"

Why ext4 ?
    - Ext4 is native file system for Android, while exfat is not.
    - The system internal partitions (/efs /data /system /cache /preload) use ext4, natively.
    - The famous music bug on Android 4.4 AOSP will be gone.
    - CM has poor exfat support, while fat32 is not recommended for big files (over 2 GB) because it doesn't work well with them.
    - Ext4 has better stability and performance, especially on Android devices, compared to exfat and fat.
    "Thanks JustARchi"

Steps by steps :
    - Download iso of Parted Magic 2013 freeware (Mac, Linux, Windows) : here.
    - On your computer, reboot on Parted Magic (live cd or usb stick) :
    beb3a3c74ec33870365c680941128c18.jpg

- On your Android device, reboot in recovery :
    d9753cb878a43dabda5e8056845666de.jpg

- In recovery, first select mount and storage. Then, select mount USB storage. Then, don't touch recovery upto the end of process. If you go back, then recovery unmount sdcard and break the process :
    ecc8f74ee7a0b53c0f65909b049d697f.jpg

- On computer, with Parted Magic, open file manager and check if you can browse files of your internal sdcard :
    c2449d2e10e52e1bd58b7430b69932a6.jpg

- If browsing ok, then copy all data of internal sdcard to computer.
    - Please note carefully the name of your internal storage in parted magic, like sde1 or sdb2…
    - On computer, open Partition editor (Gparted).
    - On partition editor, select your internal sdcard from its name.
    - Be carefull to select your internal sdcard and not your hard drive of your computer !
    - On partition editor, format your internal sdcard to ext4 from a right click on its partition. :
    9ea3f0d28c205a2e9520084ce1d3afc0.jpg

- Wait the end of process :
    1c75795129028ee7f36451bfb3a2443d.jpg

- When the format is over, reboot the recovery NOT Android, do it from the advanced options.
    - On computer with Parted Magic, open file manager and go to your internal sdcard now ext4.
    - Restore all data saved to your internal sdcard.
    - Reboot android.
    - With a terminal in Android, execute the command: su
    785216c1e50a05c9c8fd6870e27cf996e39457.jpg

- Before you start fixing permissions don't forget to type su in your phone's Terminal
    - Then, check permissions and type :
    ls -la /mnt/media_rw/
    The return will be like :
    - To fix permissions, you have to copy everything below, line by line, into the Terminal. Use Android with a web browser as firefox to navigate upto here and copy past to the terminal this lines :
    cd /mnt/media_rw/
    - Check permissions to see the differences :
    ls -la /mnt/media_rw/
    - If it is an external sdcard, do the same but replace sdcard0 by sdcard1
    - Reboot Android normally (not into terminal).
    - Voilà !
    - Now, you need to check 2 things : the permissions and the ext4 file system of the sdcard formated :

Please, verify this :
    Check permissions : To check if permissions is done, go to browsing files under Android, with an app to browsing files as es file explorer. Then, create a directory at the root of your sdcard ext4 (as /storage/sdcard0/), then delete it. If you will able to delete the folder, then permissions is fine. If not, then go back to follow again steps about fix permissions.
    Check your ext4 sdcard: Use Diskinfo from Play Store to check the file system of your sdcard before and after formated : here. There will several partitions, please select the sdcard formated and check its file system.

Video of this guide, but please, read the guide before :
    Part 1, backup and format under Parted Magic : here
    Part 2, fix permissions with a terminal under Android : here

Why ext4 and another methods here : http://bit.ly/1oYzi3A

Windows users : After formated to ext4, to access to your internal sdcard, you must connect your device in USB in MTP and not USB mass storage (UMS). Because with UMS, no way to access to your internal sdcard from windows. You can set MTP in the parameters of Android :
    7848d6f64fa3fcdc0299eaf794a45967.jpg

Anyway, with UMS, to read the new ext4 volumes in Windows, use ext2Fsd.

* Fix Permissions : after formated the sdcard to ext4, there is a very annoying issue. No way to create or delete directory or file at root of this storage. So, there will be big troubles, like unable to backup, no way to install new apps which have to write on this storage, unable to update CM... Without fix permissions, the sdcard will be a kind of read protected storage at root directory.

Before formated, the internal sdcard on my Galaxy S2 was vfat. Here my Galaxy S2 running CM11, after format's process, the internal sdcard is now ext4 :
    127da956da5c72649b4b338878a73da1.jpg
    Can't I just fix permissions on recovery? Do I really nerd adb?

Just set correct GID and UID to all files and folders.

I tried to fix permissions exactly as post 6 with terminal in Android : done with success !
    I will modify my guide with this add. Your contribution was excellent and essential, bravo !
    I have successfully managed to format the Internal and External memories of my Galaxy S2 into ext4 format. It wasn't easy for me because I am absolute noob in the field of Linux. As a matter of fact the procedure is not that difficult as it seems. My error was in reading the Linux commands badly. For example, the line " find sdcard0 -type d -exec chmod 0775 {} \; " was interpreted by me as - to find (somewhere in the Terminal of the phone) sdcard0 and then type the letter "d"... Can you imagine??? So, for those who are not on board of Linux: you have to copy everything, line by line, from the Post 6 into the Terminal of your phone BUT before you start fixing permissions don't forget to type su in your phone's Terminal. I could format the Memories into ext4 from CWM of my device - no problems at all. I didn't need to use Ubuntu which I also have here. Only my phone's CWM. After that I had to execute all those steps from the Post 6. And REBOOT the phone. You don't have to type the word "reboot" in the Terminal, you have to reboot. That's all. I have explaned everything from the point of view of a noob for those who are newbies. Ah, I start liking Linux but I am too old to remeber all those commands... It's easier for me to make a click on a picture.
    P.S. The only problem with my phone today is that I cannot install today's WhatsApp update although the previous version works fine. But it may be a problem of something else and not of ext4.
    EXT4 on SGS2

My ext4 experience with stock CM11, always latest nightly:

- Backup up your phone data (sdcard0 and sdcard1) first, make the data available on your computer
    - Boot your favorite Linux (e.g. from Live CD)
    - CWM into my SGS2, connect phone via USB to your Linux computer
    - Mount your SD cards to USB
    - sdcard0 and sdcard1 should be accessible on your Linux Box
    - Convert both partitions to ext4 (do not use CWM!, doesn't work for me) and make them available to the Linux computer
    - Copy your backed-up data back to your phone (restore) using your Linux computer
    - Reboot your phone again into recovery

- ADB to your phone as root

- Check permissions
    ls -la /mnt/media_rw/

- Fix permissions (user media_rw, uid=1023, group media_rw, gid=1023):

cd /mnt/media_rw/

find sdcard1 -type d -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
    find sdcard1 -type d -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;
    find sdcard1 -type f -exec chmod 0775 {} \;
    find sdcard1 -type f -exec chown media_rw:media_rw {} \;

- FINISHED

To access (r/w) both sdcards (0/1) from a Linux computer your >Linux user< needs to be a member of a created GROUP called "media_rw" with the GID "1023". For "normal" data transfers use the MTP mode of your phone, so you will not run into permission issues.

Regards,
    Can't I just fix permissions on recovery? Do I really nerd adb?

I don't know what people complain about ADB. It's in my opinion the safest way. But fixing from CWM is also possible with your favorite Linux and mounted SD cards. Just set correct GID and UID to all files and folders. Or use MTP for restore.