Hardware HEVC decoding support on Asus Zenfone 3 Max (ZC520TL)

Search This thread
Mar 4, 2018
(Yes, I know i already asked about this in the Asus Zenfone 3 subforum.)

The title says it all. Basically MX Player plays HEVC encoded videos on this phone using software decoding, even though this device has hardware decoding support for that codec. Can anyone explain it to me why?

I will attach a bug report as soon as I figure out how add attachments.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
(Yes, I know i already asked about this in the Asus Zenfone 3 subforum.)

The title says it all. Basically MX Player plays HEVC encoded videos on this phone using software decoding, even though this device has hardware decoding support for that codec. Can anyone explain it to me why?

I will attach a bug report as soon as I figure out how add attachments.

Hi,

It depends. Not all HEVC files are same. For example your device may only support HEVC main profile upto 1080P @ 30fps.
In such cases, you can't play any HEVC 4K file or an HEVC file encoded with the Main10 profile or a video HEVC video with 60fps (in HW+, it may lag).

If you can't upload the logs here, you can share the link after uploading to anywhere else (like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.,).
If you have issues with links as well, then just mask it ( Like replace http with h**p)

Mar 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply!
Here is the report:
h**ps://drive.google.com/file/d/14lguX8sJefjLzBS7w2vOaoqMjQaufn4u/view?usp=drivesdk

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for the reply!
Here is the report:
h**ps://drive.google.com/file/d/14lguX8sJefjLzBS7w2vOaoqMjQaufn4u/view?usp=drivesdk

There is no log about the playback. Maybe some other app is generating too many logs.
Kindly Increase the log buffer size on developer options on your system & collect the log again immediately after attempting to play in HW & HW+.

Mar 4, 2018
Never mind, I've figured it out. The problem was that the videos I tried to play were encoded at level 4, while my phone only supports hardware decoding up to level 3.1.
Again, thanks for your help.