Bluetooth streaming issues

Search This thread

brockeverly

Jan 1, 2011
AZ
I have noticed that my MAXX HD will not stream via bluetooth to save its life. It is nerve racking to say the least. It is something isolated to this device as my HTC Rezound worked fine.

Here is what happens. When connecting to my 2012 Tundra it says it is connected for bluetooth streaming. If I pick an mp3 saved to the device it streams it just fine, but if I open Rhapsody or any other streaming app I get nothing. A work around I have found is to send myself a text message and not check it. Once the alert comes through for the new message it streams until I check it at which point it stops streaming. While streaming Rhapsody or any other streaming program it shows my ringtone name, when playing an mp3 it shows the mp3 name.

After searching I see this is an issue with various other vehicles as well. Anyone know a way to fix this? From what I have found Moto is not addressing the issue at this time. With 90% of my music coming through my Rhapsody subscription it is quite a pain to deal with.

brockeverly

Jan 1, 2011
AZ
Played around a little more. If I try to play my Amazon music through the cloud player I get no sound, but if I download the tracks to the device then open the Google Play Music app they play just fine.

FWIW this happened on the first sw, 7.2 update, and now on the 4.1 leak.

yutzyscott

May 10, 2010
I wish I could help find a solution but all I can do is say it seems isolated to your phone. I use a jawbone big jambox at work and my pioneer in dash DVD player in my car. Both work flawlessly with the exception, sometimes they fail to connect without toggling Bluetooth. I can even use my jambox for media and headset for phone with both devices connected simultaneously. I spend most of my time with slacker radio, pandora or Sirius xm app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda premium

Thatoneguy.

Feb 23, 2011
Midwest
I use it with power amp and Pandora streaming music to my motorcycle helmet, no issues here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

DukeL

Mar 27, 2010
I have some issues sometimes I have to reconnect it with my prius as the bluetooth audio will stop working sometimes. Also sometimes even though bluetooth audio is working phone calls will not and I have to fool around with the settings and disconnect and reconnect. Kinda a pain since my iphone works 100% flawless with the prius.

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
OP, which headunit are you using in your Tundra, Entune or non-Entune? I have a 12 CM 4x4 Platinum with the non-Entune Nav headunit. I haven't tried audio streaming unfortunately as I use satellite. But I can give it a shot on Fri when I come home from travel.

Sent from my *new* iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: brockeverly

lucidvtec

Jul 28, 2010
I use Bluetooth in my truck all the time for Pandora...works great .

Even after a ROM flash. Just pair with the head unit and done

Nissan titan

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

dcohio

Jul 21, 2007
I have noticed that my MAXX HD will not stream via bluetooth to save its life. It is nerve racking to say the least. It is something isolated to this device as my HTC Rezound worked fine.

Here is what happens. When connecting to my 2012 Tundra it says it is connected for bluetooth streaming. If I pick an mp3 saved to the device it streams it just fine, but if I open Rhapsody or any other streaming app I get nothing. A work around I have found is to send myself a text message and not check it. Once the alert comes through for the new message it streams until I check it at which point it stops streaming. While streaming Rhapsody or any other streaming program it shows my ringtone name, when playing an mp3 it shows the mp3 name.

After searching I see this is an issue with various other vehicles as well. Anyone know a way to fix this? From what I have found Moto is not addressing the issue at this time. With 90% of my music coming through my Rhapsody subscription it is quite a pain to deal with.

I have similar issues with my Droid RAZR MAXX HD and my 2012 Subaru Outback. The ONLY workaround I have found is to adjust the music volume slider in settings/sound/volumes after bluetooth is connected and audio is playing. I haven't found any common link between downloaded audio vs streaming. I have had issues with ICS and now JB with the bluetooth on the MAXX HD. My previous Droid RAZR worked with the same bluetooh system just fine.

krycek1984

Nov 11, 2012
Cleveland
I have a 2011 Toyota corolla with Bluetooth non En tune .

Mine has trouble streaming as well, but saved audio works just fine. Must be a Toyota thing. This happened on my windows phone too. My Bluetooth is a little finicky. Drives me crazy.

Everything works much better with the navigation dock. But still no streaming without auxiliary

brockeverly

Jan 1, 2011
AZ
OP, which headunit are you using in your Tundra, Entune or non-Entune? I have a 12 CM 4x4 Platinum with the non-Entune Nav headunit. I haven't tried audio streaming unfortunately as I use satellite. But I can give it a shot on Fri when I come home from travel.

Non-entune. Let me know what happens, thank you!

brockeverly

Jan 1, 2011
AZ
I have similar issues with my Droid RAZR MAXX HD and my 2012 Subaru Outback. The ONLY workaround I have found is to adjust the music volume slider in settings/sound/volumes after bluetooth is connected and audio is playing. I haven't found any common link between downloaded audio vs streaming. I have had issues with ICS and now JB with the bluetooth on the MAXX HD. My previous Droid RAZR worked with the same bluetooh system just fine.

Sending yourself a text and not checking it will also work most likely. This is definitely a Motorola thing, I have been streaming with various other devices in Toyota's for years and had no issue with my HTC Rezound streaming in this same truck prior to this phone.

If any Devs see this and can find a fix, I will happily PayPal you for your efforts!

blklite

Feb 18, 2013
Another issue

I have LG HBS-700 headphones paired to my phone (Droid Razr HD running Stock 4.1.1), and when I receive a call while streaming music, The music plays on my external speaker while the call is ringing. The occurs from any media streaming app (Google Music, Rdio, IHeartRadio, etc). I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue (including factory resets), and I'm curious if there's a ROM out there for the Razr HD's that would address this problem.

skinien

Aug 6, 2010
San Diego
I have LG HBS-700 headphones paired to my phone (Droid Razr HD running Stock 4.1.1), and when I receive a call while streaming music, The music plays on my external speaker while the call is ringing. The occurs from any media streaming app (Google Music, Rdio, IHeartRadio, etc). I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue (including factory resets), and I'm curious if there's a ROM out there for the Razr HD's that would address this problem.

This is a very annoying bug that was introduced with the jelly bean update. If you keep your ringer on, music won't play through the external speaker. The ringer will play though the external speaker instead. Its still not perfect, but better than letting your coworkers know you're playing the Dixie Chicks.

Rickinsav

Mar 29, 2011
Savannah, GA
This issue has been around from day 1 with mine and my Tundra - with ICS and JB.
It will stream some of the time but haven't quite figures out the funky sequences that'll make it work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda premium

mattbartoe

Mar 12, 2013
Similar problem with Droid RAZR and 2013 Mercedes GLK350

I'm having the exact same problem with my Droid RAZR and 2013 GLK350. Only with the default 'Play Music' application, does the car bluetooth system seem to realize that music has started playing and not act like the phone player is paused and report music metadata to the player. In Pandora, Slacker, Audible, Amazon player and any other app I've tried it's as if it the phone is not sending a proper 'I'm playing music now' cue to the car. As stated in the post above, if I go into Settings/Sound/Volume and just touch the Music volume slider the audio then plays and the music metadata the car displays is the last notification ringtone that phone has played. I've even tried putting a shortcut or widget from AudioManager on one of my home pages to adjust the volume so that I can more easily tap that instead of going through the Settings menu but this doesn't work either - whatever the bug is, the only workaround is an actual notification playing on the phone or the 'manual' volume adjustment. After the volume adjustment is made however, I can skip to the next song or chapter or whatever in the app I am currently using so it doesn't seem like the problem is in AVRCP. It is such a frustrating problem because it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to solve. I've had this problem in ICS and now the JB update that Verizon recently sent down. I was hoping the problem would be fixed with the JB update but unforetunately not.

Mystique5022

May 16, 2011
BRZ with same issues

What I get with my BRZ, is it asks me to pair every single time, and it never saves the key. It's extremely annoying because I have to click pair on the phone each time when the car is on. At least it 'works' after that, but like someone said, the metadata is only read from Play Music.

Last edited:

Mystique5022

May 16, 2011
I'd just like to note for anyone still having trouble that they should consider upgrading if at all possible to 4.1.2 jellybean. However, though I thought it was fixed at first, I will need to troubleshoot a little more, but it certainly has improved.

Last edited:

mattbartoe

Mar 12, 2013
I'd just like to note for anyone still having trouble that they should consider upgrading if at all possible to 4.1.2 jellybean. However, though I thought it was fixed at first, I will need to troubleshoot a little more, but it certainly has improved.

The problem I described above IS on 4.1.2. I haven't experienced any Bluetooth functionality improvements whatsoever in this version compared to the previous. It seems that many people are having the same exact or very similar problems with 4.1.2 on many different vehicles. Motorola seriously needs to raise the bar when testing. We often have to wait a VERY long time for any new OS releases for their phones to come out, so one would hope this means that they are thoroughly tested. Instead, we have to wait a very long time for poorly implemented and spottily tested software.

krycek1984

Nov 11, 2012
Cleveland
Mine is literally useless with Bluetooth in my 2011 Toyota corolla. Will not stream music from any player on the phone. Does not route text messages through the car. Sometimes it will route a call through, but only once or twice. After that it will pick up through Bluetooth. But no sound so I have to put speakerphone on. Like I said, useless.

I have now turned Bluetooth off and use my work blackberry with the car and it works fine. My old windows phone worked fine too.

Between this, the constant lag and freezing, poor home screen implementation, and sometimes poor audio quality, don't know which is worst.

Its been much worse for Bluetooth since jb and got worse again after the most recent update. Whats the point?

Not helpful I know but it is my experience.

Mystique5022

May 16, 2011
The problem I described above IS on 4.1.2. I haven't experienced any Bluetooth functionality improvements whatsoever in this version compared to the previous. It seems that many people are having the same exact or very similar problems with 4.1.2 on many different vehicles. Motorola seriously needs to raise the bar when testing. We often have to wait a VERY long time for any new OS releases for their phones to come out, so one would hope this means that they are thoroughly tested. Instead, we have to wait a very long time for poorly implemented and spottily tested software.

It bugged me to all hell. I really wanted to like the RAZR MAXX HD, but I ended up getting Galaxy S3 and I never looked back. Pairing my phone with my car was too big of a deal breaker for the RAZR. Hope they fix it though, I did love that phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have a 2011 Toyota corolla with Bluetooth non En tune .

Mine has trouble streaming as well, but saved audio works just fine. Must be a Toyota thing. This happened on my windows phone too. My Bluetooth is a little finicky. Drives me crazy.

Everything works much better with the navigation dock. But still no streaming without auxiliary