[Q] Z Ultra GPE back to stock 4.4.2

Search This thread

shivityagi42

Mar 13, 2014
I was checking the Sony DualShock wireless 3 controller.. for my xperia zu.. bt cost me around 5000.that price is quite heavy .so I want to know if any othey(any cheap brand controler) can work on my device..

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
@blueether I am at 4.4.2 GPe right now with advanced stock kernel, DooMLoRD posted stock kernel in a flashable zip that we can get boot img from I assume. Now I need to know how to pull the system img and we should be able to get some progress. My idea of trying to go to custom ROM to get back to stock is probably not the best option for someone only needing to downgrade to get camera back.

you will need adb to dump the /system

I think the commands will be something like this:

Code:
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system of=/storage/sdcard1/system442.img   <= check what the path to the external sd card is!
exit
adb pull /sdcard/1/system442.img

be carefull with dd it can very easily brick phones

Last edited:

texaspledge

Jul 5, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Reactions: adfurgerson

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
the file that needs editing is the updater-script at META-INF\com\google\android
dont extract the file just edit it with notepad++

I am downloading the 4.4.2 OTA right now. I could you give me a more detailed instruction on how to edit the zip file and what needs to be changed into what?

Thanks!

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
the file that needs editing is the updater-script at META-INF\com\google\android
dont extract the file just edit it with notepad++

@ddslee this looks like your best option. @blueether after downgrading with the 4.4.2 with version check removed would it be possible to take future updates? The reason I ask is @DooMLoRD mentioned not to try update if you flashed just the boot and system imgs from 4.4.2.

Reactions: ddslee

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
@ddslee this looks like your best option. @blueether after downgrading with the 4.4.2 with version check removed would it be possible to take future updates? The reason I ask is @DooMLoRD mentioned not to try update if you flashed just the boot and system imgs from 4.4.2.

Could somebody please post an edited 4.4.2 OTA zip file and help out a desperate noob?
I don't know how and where to begin.
Thank you!!!

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
THANK YOU! You have been by far the most helpful person I've met online in my entire life!!!

Well don't mistake my willingness to help for knowledge. I have been able to open updater script with notepad++ so far but that is about all I have accomplished. If somebody else wants to give it a shot it would be appreciated.
Edit... I couldn't figure it out I am sorry!

Last edited:

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
It will be the first few line that start with assert(...)

Sent from CarbonROM on my Z-Ultra

Thanks for your input but I have no computer science background. I can flash roms and stuff but have no clue how to proceed with this.

All I want to accompish here is to get the camera working so that I can give the phone to my wife for her birthday present.

I bought this phone in used condition thinking it was stock gpe but I got scammed by a seller who I am sure frequents this site because he had rooted, installed custom recovery, played with custom roms, went back to stock, updated to 4.4.3 and sold me a phone with a broken camera as "like new".

I know it is a lot to ask from a total stranger, but would you help this poor noob by uploading a edited 4.4.2 OTA that I can use to fix this phone please?

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for your input but I have no computer science background. I can flash roms and stuff but have no clue how to proceed with this.

All I want to accompish here is to get the camera working so that I can give the phone to my wife for her birthday present.

I bought this phone in used condition thinking it was stock gpe but I got scammed by a seller who I am sure frequents this site because he had rooted, installed custom recovery, played with custom roms, went back to stock, updated to 4.4.3 and sold me a phone with a broken camera as "like new".

I know it is a lot to ask from a total stranger, but would you help this poor noob by uploading a edited 4.4.2 OTA that I can use to fix this phone please?

I may have gotten it to work. Will test it tomorrow before posting link. I would rather mess my stuff up than make yours worse.

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
I may have gotten it to work. Will test it tomorrow before posting link. I would rather mess my stuff up than make yours worse.

You are my hero!

Please also let me know if I should relock the bootloader and remove the custom recovery.
Will side loading the OTA as instructed by DooMLoRD in his thread will bring everything back to stock?
Should I block future OTA updates until 4.4.4 with camera fix is released?

Thank you!!!

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
You are my hero!

Please also let me know if I should relock the bootloader and remove the custom recovery.
Will side loading the OTA as instructed by DooMLoRD in his thread will bring everything back to stock?
Should I block future OTA updates until 4.4.4 with camera fix is released?

Thank you!!!

Shouldn't need to relock or remove recovery.
Sideloading will take it back to 4.4.2 but bootloader will remain unlocked.
If you let it update the camera will be busted again.

Reactions: ddslee

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
Shouldn't need to relock or remove recovery.
Sideloading will take it back to 4.4.2 but bootloader will remain unlocked.
If you let it update the camera will be busted again.

I will wait for your edited 4.4.2 OTA file. Thank you so much!

You know, I was just trying to save a $100 and gotten myself into this mess.
From now on, I will avoid buying any used phones on cragslist unless they are brand new in a sealed box.

I thought I was doing my due diligence checking everything, but I just assumed that everything would be good because the box and the phone was in such great shape.

Thank you!!! :good:

ddslee

Aug 18, 2010
Will the phone try to push 4.4.3 updates automatically after the downgrade?
Do I have to root again to block future updates?

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Will the phone try to push 4.4.3 updates automatically after the downgrade?
Do I have to root again to block future updates?
I am not sure, have updated and downgraded a bunch of times. It downloads on its own when connected to WiFi , then there is a notification in status bar that takes you to screen to select install. Don't know if it will eventually update by itself or not.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I think I was able to make a zip but ran into a brick wall trying to test. Wasn't able to upgrade to 4.4.3, so tried to side load my zip I created and that failed also. Will fool with it again tomorrow, unless someone that knows what they are doing is kind enough to help you out. I'm sure it pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

Top Liked Posts