[kernel] sch-i535 (s3 verizon) rooted insecure kernels - important info!

Search This thread

AdamLange

Dec 9, 2003
Warsaw
Ok then, there is additional check added to verizon version of phone. It looks like it dont allow flashing unsigned boot.img, im curious if the same will be with recovery.img :) if so then Verizon owners are doomed for a while untill we figure out how to override this protection.

madmaverickmatt

Apr 26, 2009
yea I really think Verizon snuck some sort of security check in there

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

akanealw

Jun 7, 2010
Urbana
forgive my ignorance, but does this have anything to do with the bootloader, i.e., we need to unlock it?

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
try flashing it in phone slot

that has caused bricks in the past, is this a suggestion based on success or a guess out of thin air? be careful making suggestions unless you know they work, i mean...i know you are tagged as a developer.....but using the flash as phone option has never ended well for any other Samsung phone

noobnl

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2010
THIS MIGHT CAUSE A BRICK AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPEN TO YOUR DEVICE.
This will flash a new bootloader image that is responsible for booting into download mode and boot into a kernel.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/5glgq6278bauvu9/sprintodinmode.tar

noobnl

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2010
that has caused bricks in the past, is this a suggestion based on success or a guess out of thin air? be careful making suggestions unless you know they work, i mean...i know you are tagged as a developer.....but using the flash as phone option has never ended well for any other Samsung phone

based on success

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

Verizon model is protected from flashing unsigned/modified boot.img and recovery.img. Which means there is no known root method as for now for SCH-I535.
    Stay tuned for more informations as we are doing research now.

Rooted stock boot.img issue:

<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/008> boot.img
    <ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/008> FAIL! (Auth)

CWM Recovery.img flash issue:

<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/003> recovery.img
    <ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/003>
    <ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Research status: 10%

+ 10% - phone rooted trough system.img tricks -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885 (by invisiblek)

ROM analysys:

boot.img -> signed
    recovery.img -> signed
    system.img -> not signed
    cache.img -> not signed

Update [7/7/2012]

News about locked Verizon model is spreading over the websites and main tech-related portals. Hopefully we will get some detailed info soon.

Update [7/7/2012]

It looks like it has been rooted by using system.img trick (system.img is not signed)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885
    Enjoy! and thanx to invisiblek :) good job!

Thanks!
    YUp im from Poland so no VZN device here :) but i got files and knowledge :) i hope its enough to help you guys.

Adam
    Edited: Moved to another thread.
    I might be able to help

I have a strange phone

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754173

I was eager to try and flash that insecure image, but perhaps its better I didn't.

I don't know how to dump what I have, but I'm willing to do it if someone can instruct me.
    Locking until cleaned. Go discuss this in general. OP, PM me with any questions.

Edit: Cleaned. Discuss the bootloader issue in the very obvious thread in General.