ROOT for Razr HD

Search This thread

drumzalicious

Jul 6, 2012
Hey folks. Anyone else out there experiencing some SD card issues after rooting? Every since I rooted my phone and installed JB only certain applications can access my SD card. Astro, ES File Reader, Titanium Backup, SMS Backup and Restore, Gallery, and Camera all access it fine. However, apps like Contacts, Dolphin, Dropbox, and some other ones I'm not thinking of can not. Any ideas? The SD card shows up under storage in the settings menu and it tells me all the details and such. Any help would be appreciated.

antonyhan04

May 18, 2012
Stuck at beginning

The process just stops right as it says the daemon is running...

I've made sure that the cable works for data by restoring back to ICS using the multipurpose tool foundin the original development subforum.

The drivers have been installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled.

The computer (Macbook Air 2012, and also an older unbranded computer) will not recognize the device regardless of the fact that the drivers are installed.

What should I do? Thank you for your time.

alexv305

Mar 28, 2011
The process just stops right as it says the daemon is running...

I've made sure that the cable works for data by restoring back to ICS using the multipurpose tool foundin the original development subforum.

The drivers have been installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled.

The computer (Macbook Air 2012, and also an older unbranded computer) will not recognize the device regardless of the fact that the drivers are installed.

What should I do? Thank you for your time.

I can do that but it will flash the phone to verizon's firmware.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I'm getting this error when I try to flash firmwares with RSD lite v 6.1.4

update gpt_main version failed
preflash validation failed for GPT

chameleo78

Mar 29, 2006
I did this:

Washington there an update between ICS and JB? I protected root on the stock software, updated to 72 and then to JB. I only tried to reestablish root on JB and it did not work. ...snip...

I assume that this flash back to stock is going to wipe the phone? Any other ways to get around this? RootKeeper says Superuser app is in installed, /system supports root protection, and Protected su copy available. When I try to restore root it's like nothing happens. I'm a bit pissed at myself for thinking this was easier than it is from a bone stock phone. Never thought that loosing root with the 72 update was even a possibility. And of course this was on the wife's phone and not mine... If I decide to try this again, is there anyway to backup all the settings that have been changed as well as installed apps? I think I know the answer but need to ask anyways. Locked bootloaders suck!!

Last edited:

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
Potential help for you...

I did this:

I assume that this flash back to stock is going to wipe the phone? Any other ways to get around this? RootKeeper says Superuser app is in installed, /system supports root protection, and Protected su copy available. When I try to restore root it's like nothing happens. I'm a bit pissed at myself for thinking this was easier than it is from a bone stock phone. Never thought that loosing root with the 72 update was even a possibility. And of course this was on the wife's phone and not mine... If I decide to try this again, is there anyway to backup all the settings that have been changed as well as installed apps? I think I know the answer but need to ask anyways. Locked bootloaders suck!!

I had a similar problem when I received the OTA JB update. I had used the "OTA JB Root Protection" method that was added to the first post in this thread. It didn't work as described for me, and others have had a "1/2 re-rooted" phone on JB.

I found that using Matt's Root Restore script fixed my problem and I root on stock JB coming fom stock (rooted) ICS without using CWM or unlocking my bootloader. My process was outlined in this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37656547&postcount=136

It's helped a couple of other so far. I've done nothing new, just following the OP in this thread and saved my system with Matt's work. Kudos to them for there hard work getting us to this point!

Reactions: chgrbt

chameleo78

Mar 29, 2006
Thank you for this information. I ended up doing it through the utility. I told my wife what had happened and she wasn't worried about her phone being wiped because she hadn't done much 'personalizing' yet. I wish I would have gotten this post first though so I could have offered another case to show how it worked out. It's amazing what some of the devs are able to accomplish.

I had a similar problem when I received the OTA JB update. I had used the "OTA JB Root Protection" method that was added to the first post in this thread. It didn't work as described for me, and others have had a "1/2 re-rooted" phone on JB.

I found that using Matt's Root Restore script fixed my problem and I root on stock JB coming fom stock (rooted) ICS without using CWM or unlocking my bootloader. My process was outlined in this post:

It's helped a couple of other so far. I've done nothing new, just following the OP in this thread and saved my system with Matt's work. Kudos to them for there hard work getting us to this point!

crazyhacker

Dec 1, 2012
Cant keep root with Jelly Bean

I have unrooted the razr hd with the above steps, then I updated to Jelly Bean through system update in the phone, clicked restore root, it said it was sucessfull.I was playing with the phone the whole day untill I realized i cant get root.RootKeeper is telling me superuser app installed,its rooted,no checkbox in root granted,/system supports root protection,protected su copy availabe,and I have two options availabe delete su backup and temp unroot.What should I do?I thought I did everything right, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling superuser with no luck, it says cant get root...
EDIT: The above script helped restore root!Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: sheep348

biKF

Aug 4, 2011
Crazy hacker,

You should really read the previous couple of posts. In post #248 I point out that I had a similar problem. Did you try to use Matt's Root Recovery script?

If you havent, Follow the link to a post of mine in the General section of this forum where I explain how I got back root using this script.

chgrbt

Aug 27, 2008
Root Restore when root is incomplete after JB update OTA

The "Matt Root Restore" process worked for me. I was glad to read biKF's post and save my root after upgrading to JB. I had tried upgrading OTA after using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, and I ended up with a "1/2 rooted JB". I found the SU backup in the /system/usr directory, and assume that's what we mena when we say 1/2 rooted. It might be because when I used OTA Rootkeeper, after making a backup of SU with Rootkeeper, I didn't do the next step of "temporarily hiding root". Afterwards I read somewhere someone saying that you had to do that extra step in order to protect root going from ICS to JB over the air. I don't plan to test that theory now that I'm on JB. Hopefully someone confirms that doing the 2 steps in VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper is successful in going from ICS 4.04 up to JB over the air.

Reactions: stefilini

GoClifGo05

Jul 1, 2012
Maryland
The proper steps are

Root
Voodoo backup root
Voodoo temp unroot
OTA update
Voodoo restore root.

You always have to temporarily unroot after you protect and before you upgrade or its pointless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GoClifGo05

Jul 1, 2012
Maryland
The utility just has everything is one place and you don't need RSD Lite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

indyfan

Mar 19, 2011

Matt's Restore Root script worked for me too. So happy I didn't have to reload everything. Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited:

agentj642

Nov 4, 2010
Matt's Restore Root script worked for me too. So happy I didn't have to reload everything. Thank you for sharing this.

Okay, it will be rather simple since I only did a couple of steps:

~Snip~

Does this help?

Did it work for anyone else?

I have a VZW xt926 with 4.1.1, and lost root during the OTA update because I forgot to temp unroot. I still had Superuser installed the whole time I was not rooted (I guess I was half-rooted). So I been reading XDA for last few weeks, and today I came across this post and decided to try the restore root script posted here and to my surprise, I am now fully rooted again!!! All I did was run the script after extraction, (of course with the prerequisites... usb drivers installed, Debugging enabled, etc.) When the script ran it said it could not find a backup of SU or SuperSU (not unusual b/c I removed it long ago) but installed the copy of SuperSU that was included in the package. After it finished, phone rebooted and all was well again. However I didn't want conflicts between the two SU apps so I froze, not uninstall, SuperSU using Root Uninstaller. So far no problems.

Thank you for finding this info and posting it. There isn't enough thanks I can express in this post to show how much I really appreciate it!!! :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-22-10-58-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-22-10-58-03.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Screenshot_2013-02-22-11-10-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-22-11-10-41.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: evandro.oliveira

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root is already available for the Motorola Razr HD & Maxx!

I grabbed this from the Razr M forums, it will work for a variety of new Motorola Devices.

Instructions:
    1. Download
    2. Unzip
    3. Install Motorola Drivers
    4. Enable USB Debugging on Phone
    5. Plug Into PC
    6. Run The Batch File "Run"
    7. Follow Along the CMD Prompt for Progress & Let it Finish
    8. Enjoy and Hope for some Developers to Pick Up This Phone to Rom

**UPDATE**JellyBean OTA In order to update to the latest OTA without losing root you need to:

• Be Rooted on ICS
    • Use VooDoo Rootkeeper to do the following
    1. Protect Root
    2. Temp Unroot
    3. Take the JB OTA
    4. Restore Root

Enjoy being both on the latest and rooted. Remember, do not just take the update without doing both those two things as there is no root exploit currently available for JB.

This is a one-click-method so all you have to do is the prerequisites and it will do the rest for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    How to Unroot:
    Thanks shabbypenguin for posting this.

You can manually unroot your Droid by using a root file manager program (such as root explorer) and mountsystem as R/W. Then delete the following:

/system/app/Superuser.apk
    /system/bin/su
    and if it has it
    /system/xbin/su
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Downloads:
    Here's the link to the drivers: Motorola Drivers
    Root File is attached to the Post, but here are some Mirrors:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Rooting your phone works whether you have the Developer version or not.

Hit thanks if this made you happy!

Screenie:
    Screenie%20of%20Razr%20HD%20Root.png

*Disclaimer: This root exploit was created by Dan Rosenburg and not myself, so I take no credit in creating it . You are only hitting "Thanks" for me sharing this root method and simple guide on the appropriate forum.*

OK - found it already. Now one can get current jellybean with SuperSU/Busybox by chainfire. Thanks to Orphee for pointing the directions here in this thread. This is how I went ahead after flashing Moto's Jellybean on top of unrooted Stock ICS.

- Assuming unlocked bootloader
    - Get epinters CWM-Recovery from here.
    - Get SuperSU+Busybox from here and put it on your SDCard.
    - Enter fastboot mode by POWERON+VOLDOWN
    - Flash epinters CWM using following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6015-xt925_20121104-epinter.img
    - PRESS VOLUP on the device and reboot Phone via
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    - When the green droid is being shown press VOLUP+VOLDOWN -> this enters CWM Recovery
    - In CWM I had chosen Wipe/DataFactory and Wipe Dalvik <--- dunno if that is really needed, but since my RazrHD was vanilla-stock it couldn't do any harm.
    - In CWM I had chosen "Flash Zip from External SD" and selected that "Root_SuperSU.0.98-Busybox.1.20.2-signed.zip"
    - (optional) in CWM chose "disable stock recovery flash" when exiting CWM - this will disable recovery from reverting to stock-recovery.
    - Reboot... Enjoy... **

** Disclaimer This is how it worked for ME - if it bricks your phone, something explodes or even your phone gets sucked up in a blackhole I cannot be held responsible ;)
    ** CWM is by epinter and SuperSU/Zip is by chainfire!

rooted6719.jpg
    Word of advice to all is that you need to follow the instructions closely and run the batch file AFTER you plug in your phone and switch it charge mode and verify that the USB Debugging icon shows up. This way the program does not start running if your phone automatically goes to Mass Storage mode.
    doing a factory reset wipes apps and data, wiping internal means you wipe your internal sdcard which for most devices is the default location for camera pictures and videos.

ah okay haha i'll just shut up. I did include your instructions and credited in the OP! :cowboy:
    Hi,

Can we unroot the phone easily?

I would like to know this too before I root

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

factory restore will remove root.

Yes you can! Factory restoring will unroot the phone as it deletes Superuser and busybox. You're good to go.