[Q] How to change the 4G DNS servers on Verizon Galaxy S4 android 4.3

Search This thread

backsidesmack

Dec 23, 2013
I need the OpenDNS Family Shield servers on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, version 4.3 and it is rooted. I looked for the typical Linux files and found none. There are paid apps on Google Play that do it, but why that when I'm a Linux user and I should be able to do it manually.

Remember that we common folk own the OS as it is open source and that means I have the right to change the DNS servers to the ones I want. Can anyone help me:confused:

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I need the OpenDNS Family Shield servers on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, version 4.3 and it is rooted. I looked for the typical Linux files and found none. There are paid apps on Google Play that do it, but why that when I'm a Linux user and I should be able to do it manually.

Remember that we common folk own the OS as it is open source and that means I have the right to change the DNS servers to the ones I want. Can anyone help me:confused:

/system/etc/resolv.conf

It currently has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which are the google nameservers. Edit as you see fit.

backsidesmack

Dec 23, 2013
Tried SetDNS Pro from app store, No go

I have a Verizon SCH-i545. /system/etc/resolv.conf most definitely exists. However, some Google searches lead me to wonder if that's actually used.

However, it can't actually hurt to try creating a /system/etc/resolv.conf to see if it gets used or not.

I tried SetDNS Pro from the app store. It correctly sets the DNS servers to the ones I want. However using # getprop shows 4 nameservers. My two that I want and two IPV6 nameservers. Android must be prefering the IPV6 servers over the IPV4 servers. It's possible that the IPV6 servers are simply faster and android is falling back to them. I now need a way to tell android to not set IPV6 servers in the DNS settings. I'm almost there!

k1mu I created a resolv.conf file and it's possible that is why my servers are now listed by # getprop and it may be that app had nothing to do with it. For the longest time SetDNS Pro worked. Verizon did something sneaky.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    resolv.conf does not exist on my system. I am using the us version.

I have a Verizon SCH-i545. /system/etc/resolv.conf most definitely exists. However, some Google searches lead me to wonder if that's actually used.

However, it can't actually hurt to try creating a /system/etc/resolv.conf to see if it gets used or not.