[Guide] How to install TWRP & root Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40 (single & dual SIM version)

Search This thread

dwl99

Sep 22, 2008
[Guide] How to install TWRP & root Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40 (single & dual SIM version)

Here's how I rooted my phone. This assumes some previous knowledge of using ADB and TWRP. If you need to, I strongly recommend SIM-unlocking your phone BEFORE you do this - I used this ebay service which cost £1.99 and I received the codes 36 hours later.

Please note that although this worked on my phone, I accept no responsibility if you brick your phone doing this ;)

1. Update your ROM to the latest version, open Settings -> About and tap on Build Number seven times to enable Developer options then check USB debugging & OEM unlocking of the bootloader.
2. Connect your phone to your PC, start ADB and type adb devices - this will bring up a prompt on your phone that you need to respond to. Type adb reboot-bootloader
3. Once in bootloader mode, type fastboot oem unlock. Hit the Volume Up key to confirm.
4. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
5. Download the SuperSU flashable zip https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/supersu/download/zip/SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and copy it to a microSD card and insert it in the phone.
6. Download TWRP recovery to your PC http://www.mediafire.com/file/4hb66m26kfkw9qt/twrp.img and copy it to the same folder as your ADB (I use Minimal ADB & Fastboot https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool ).
7. Start the phone in bootloader mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Fastboot then select it by pressing Volume Down. Connect the phone to your PC.
8. Type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
9. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
10. Start the phone in Recovery mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Recovery then select it by pressing Volume Down.
11. You should then see TWRP starting. Tick the box to agree then swipe the blue button to the right.
12. Tap on Wipe then Format Data. Do not miss out this step or TWRP won't be able to mount the /data partition.
13. Tap the Back button then Factory Reset and swipe the blue button to start.
14. Tap the back button then Install then Select Storage -> microsd card then your SuperSU file then swipe the blue button to the right to flash it.
15. Tap on Reboot System and your phone should boot to your newly rooted OS! Don't panic if the first boot takes 5 or 10 minutes. If it gets stuck, pull the battery & try again.
16. Make sure you disable System Updates as they will no longer work with the non-stock recovery. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long until there's an AOSP or LineageOS ROM for this phone :)

Last edited:

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
This worked like a charm - although I was hesitant knowing there would be no way back, would it?

It *should* be possible to extract the stock recovery from a recent stock firmware - I just haven't found any (my phone came with S219, and was upgraded to S235 prior to rooting). That in theory would open the path to a stock upgrade, if one would like to have it.

Re LineageOS: There's an unofficial build for a codename 'al732row' but I'm in doubt this would match a dual-sim A2016a40. I'll wait for another update or two (three releases within 72 hours, then 2 weeks silence?).

For now I won't complain: this was a bargain even without LinOS - those dirt cheap devices often get stuck with Lollipop.

Another edit: The Nougat LineageOS ROM by CarlosArriagaCM (http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/lineage-os-14-1-vibe-b-al732row-nougat-7-1-rom/) seems to be limited to the LATAM version of the B (aka A2016b30). For A2016a40 (EMEA version) no cigar :(

Last edited:

dwl99

Sep 22, 2008
This worked like a charm - although I was hesitant knowing there would be no way back, would it?

It *should* be possible to extract the stock recovery from a recent stock firmware - I just haven't found any (my phone came with S219, and was upgraded to S235 prior to rooting). That in theory would open the path to a stock upgrade, if one would like to have it.

Re LineageOS: There's an unofficial build for a codename 'al732row' but I'm in doubt this would match a dual-sim A2016a40. I'll wait for another update or two (three releases within 72 hours, then 2 weeks silence?).

For now I won't complain: this was a bargain even without LinOS - those dirt cheap devices often get stuck with Lollipop.

Another edit: The Nougat LineageOS ROM by CarlosArriagaCM (http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/topic/lineage-os-14-1-vibe-b-al732row-nougat-7-1-rom/) seems to be limited to the LATAM version of the B (aka A2016b30). For A2016a40 (EMEA version) no cigar :(
You can flash the dual-SIM stock ROM using SP Flash Tools so you're never going to end up with a bricked device :)

Reactions: Vlad Paul

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)

Vlad Paul

Sep 1, 2012
Buzau
There's a new (20170614) release. Still there's "E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30" in the updater-script. Should we invite Carlos to Europe?
(And there should be a ROM thread for this device. Last time I checked there was none.)
Hi! Do you have a2016a40 model? Wich TWRP you have installed, 3. 1.0-0 ? Not working latest rom build?

Vlad Paul

Sep 1, 2012
Buzau

Vlad Paul

Sep 1, 2012
Buzau
New build release on 19.06. 2017. Working on model a2016a40?

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
Short answer: No, no change between 0614 and 0619.
Long answer: You may check this yourself: Open the ZIP file in your favourite archiver tool, and extract the file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script, then inspect the first line (assert()) for A2016a40.

Disclaimer: Even if the new ROM would be accepted by an A2016a40 I couldn't test it right away (no access to the device anymore / yet again).

Vlad Paul

Sep 1, 2012
Buzau
Long answer: You may check this yourself: Open the ZIP file in your favourite archiver tool, and extract the file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script, then inspect the first line (assert()) for A2016a40.

Disclaimer: Even if the new ROM would be accepted by an A2016a40 I couldn't test it right away (no access to the device anymore / yet again).
Thank you for reply @steve8x8 . No luck for a2016a40 users :(

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "al732row" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "al732row" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "A2016b30" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "A2016b30" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: al732row,A2016b30; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device")

I hope to help us @Carlos Arriaga

Last edited:

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
I found a comparison of the two sub-models: http://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/lenovo-vibe-b-a2016b30-vs-lenovo-b-a2016b40/4710928 - most prominent difference is 3G and LTE bands, but I'd presume this would be handled by the modem part of the firmware (which isn't part of LineageOS).
If I could get my hands on FCC documents (although I'm in doubt that a40 and b30 would have separate ones) I'd have a closer look.
Any pointers to stock firmware are welcome (but if that comes in MTK format I'm lost I'm afraid).

If I were @CarlosArriaga I'd check too for the model of phone I know, even with a disclaimer in 96pt.
But: nobody stops you from modifying the updater script to include the other model (and as the OP said, with MTK flash tools recovery from a bad flash would be easy - if you got the stock firmware, that is).
Due to lack of the actual hardware (for yet a few months) I'm limited to speculating and using a magnifying glass on the code itself - if time permits.

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
Does the ZTE Blade A510 look very similar to the Vibe B? Almost identical characteristics, same CPU type? There are rumours about LineageOS support planned for the Blade.

Answering myself: an A510 scatter file I came across shows more partitions than the Vibe has, so this may be close but not close enough.
ZTE has a device called A2016 though. Coincidence?

Last edited:

Vlad Paul

Sep 1, 2012
Buzau
Does the ZTE Blade A510 look very similar to the Vibe B? Almost identical characteristics, same CPU type? There are rumours about LineageOS support planned for the Blade.

Answering myself: an A510 scatter file I came across shows more partitions than the Vibe has, so this may be close but not close enough.
ZTE has a device called A2016 though. Coincidence?
Nothing new for our model a40? No chance to develop @Carlos Arriaga a LineageOS build for this model? The developer is very quiet.

raimond729

Jul 9, 2017
Hello,
Sorry my english I use a translator.
TWRP & root Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40, instructions very good.
But there is no unofficial Android 7 for Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40?

For Lenovo Vibe B A2016A30 gives Android 7. I know that.
Unfortunately, my smartphone Lenovo Vibe B A2016A40 does not.
Twrp error reports installation. Error 7.

steve8x8

Jul 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
OnePlus One
TWRP (3.1.0-0 at least, I didn't upgrade to 3.1.1) installed properly on the A2016a40. The check for the model in the updater script is what gives you an error (is there a translation table to lookup the value of 7 you got?).
As had been said before, it's possible to change the updater script to skip the check and repackage the zip, but nobody knows yet what will happen to your phone, and whether it can be restored using SP Flash Tool. We all are keen to learn about this...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's how I rooted my phone. This assumes some previous knowledge of using ADB and TWRP. If you need to, I strongly recommend SIM-unlocking your phone BEFORE you do this - I used this ebay service which cost £1.99 and I received the codes 36 hours later.

Please note that although this worked on my phone, I accept no responsibility if you brick your phone doing this ;)

1. Update your ROM to the latest version, open Settings -> About and tap on Build Number seven times to enable Developer options then check USB debugging & OEM unlocking of the bootloader.
    2. Connect your phone to your PC, start ADB and type adb devices - this will bring up a prompt on your phone that you need to respond to. Type adb reboot-bootloader
    3. Once in bootloader mode, type fastboot oem unlock. Hit the Volume Up key to confirm.
    4. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
    5. Download the SuperSU flashable zip https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/supersu/download/zip/SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip and copy it to a microSD card and insert it in the phone.
    6. Download TWRP recovery to your PC http://www.mediafire.com/file/4hb66m26kfkw9qt/twrp.img and copy it to the same folder as your ADB (I use Minimal ADB & Fastboot https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool ).
    7. Start the phone in bootloader mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Fastboot then select it by pressing Volume Down. Connect the phone to your PC.
    8. Type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    9. Disconnect the phone from the PC and pull the battery for at least 3 seconds.
    10. Start the phone in Recovery mode by holding the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see white text on the screen. Use the Volume Up button to navigate to Recovery then select it by pressing Volume Down.
    11. You should then see TWRP starting. Tick the box to agree then swipe the blue button to the right.
    12. Tap on Wipe then Format Data. Do not miss out this step or TWRP won't be able to mount the /data partition.
    13. Tap the Back button then Factory Reset and swipe the blue button to start.
    14. Tap the back button then Install then Select Storage -> microsd card then your SuperSU file then swipe the blue button to the right to flash it.
    15. Tap on Reboot System and your phone should boot to your newly rooted OS! Don't panic if the first boot takes 5 or 10 minutes. If it gets stuck, pull the battery & try again.
    16. Make sure you disable System Updates as they will no longer work with the non-stock recovery. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long until there's an AOSP or LineageOS ROM for this phone :)

You can flash the dual-SIM stock ROM using SP Flash Tools so you're never going to end up with a bricked device :)
    Thank you much. I rooted, installed twrp and i updated TWRP to 3.1.0-0
    https://xdaforums.com/android/development/recovery-3-1-0-0-lenovo-vibe-b-t3603304

Any custom rom available for Lenovo Vibe B (A2016A40 version)?
    Best Regards,
    Vlad
    @dwl99 ?
    Not that I can find. There is one for the a2016b30 but the camera doesn't work.