[Q] Recovery/Back up/Flashing ROMs CONFUSED

Search This thread

boost4life17

Sep 26, 2013
Hello! I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.
First of all here is my phone info
Rooted RAZR maxx hd with unlocked bootloader (XT926)
My main objective is to flash custom ROMs and see if any are better and faster than stock.
My problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't seem to find any threads that are simple enough for me to understand what I need to do and in what order I need to do those things.
Supposedly I need to back up my phone which seems to be the same thing as having a recovery???
If there is a thread that simplifies backing up and using a custom recovery please post a link.
I don't understand how to back up my phone, or if I use my computer or phone to do said back up.
I don't understand how to use the app ROM manager, my phone isn't listed on it when I try to download clockworkmod. So I downloaded a file cwm.img and I don't know what the heck to do with it?
I think I have adb on my computer?
I'm so confused and there's too much information and it makes no sense to me. Can someone please help me or post links to SIMPLE walk throughs of what I need to do and tell me what order I'm supposed to do them in?
I'm sorry if you think I haven't searched because I've been searching for a long time over a few days and all I've found is information that is too complex for me.
I appreciate any help! I'm new and I don't want to hurt my phone.

Hybris95

Jan 31, 2014
Mine is a Razr HD (XT925) But it's mainly the same except roms and some tools (and probably some other things I don't know...)

My main objective is to flash custom ROMs and see if any are better and faster than stock.
Which is the idea I had a week ago
My problem is I have no idea what I'm doing.
I was exactly in the same position since this is my first smartphone ever ^^
I can't seem to find any threads that are simple enough for me to understand what I need to do and in what order I need to do those things.
Well I had to search a while cause I first of all wanted to backup the most I could before doing anything.

Supposedly I need to back up my phone which seems to be the same thing as having a recovery???
This is a good thinking ;) But there are limitations on what you can do without making the first thing which is rooting your phone "and then unlocking it".

If there is a thread that simplifies backing up and using a custom recovery please post a link.
I don't understand how to back up my phone, or if I use my computer or phone to do said back up.
The first thing I could do, was to backup the Apps/Contacts/etc... by using some apps like : MyBackup
The thing is : these applications are limited until you are rooted, because you wont be able to save apps data like your game scores or whatever
The second way to backup, is to make an entire backup of your system and data, which can only be made after unlocking the bootloader (by installing a custom recovery).
Be careful, unlocking your bootloader will ENTIRELY WIPE the data you have so make backups BEFORE.

I don't understand how to use the app ROM manager, my phone isn't listed on it when I try to download clockworkmod. So I downloaded a file cwm.img and I don't know what the heck to do with it?
Not sure about it because I never got that app before unlocking my bootloader.

To get adb on your computer, you need Android-SDK.

I'm so confused and there's too much information and it makes no sense to me. Can someone please help me or post links to SIMPLE walk throughs of what I need to do and tell me what order I'm supposed to do them in?
If you need more infos, dont hesitate to ask me on your post Ill subscribe to it in case of :)
I'm sorry if you think I haven't searched because I've been searching for a long time over a few days and all I've found is information that is too complex for me.
I can understand, personnaly im working in IT and I understand how this can be a pain when you have no knowledge at all on that subject :/

Once again, good thinking, but even thought, going where you are going is very risked.
And I can tell...because I nearly bricked my phone...as you can see here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631547

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
My problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't seem to find any threads that are simple enough for me to understand what I need to do and in what order I need to do those things.

Start
Use Recovery Tools from play to flash your fav img.
TWRP check my Problems post in HD gen. Pocket proof, easy

Not pocket proof:

CWMR be careful of the double touch conformation!-you can use the keys til you are versed w/ the input flukes that inspired Philz recovery. Otherwise solid & simple.
I use Philz which may support everything in Rom Manager soon.
RM works w/ Photon Q recovery works on all the msm8960 phones, xt907, 925, 926, mb886. keys only.

All recoveries
Just because you can format it, it still may not be supported in the backup or even the xml restore (/persist)
edit
Get a SANDISK 64 GB CARD, FORMAT FROM RECOVERY to default format-fat32. Then when in doubt BACKUP.
All for now
bye

Last edited:
Reactions: boost4life17

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
No offense intended, but if it's too difficult for you, than you probably shouldn't touch the phone until you understand everything. Before you start modding, you need to know how to recover it so we don't have another brick. Once you start to understand the minor things, it will be like a light switch and the more complex things will start to make sense.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012

Be careful, unlocking your bootloader will ENTIRELY WIPE the data you have so make backups
>>>>
This only happens on a moto factory UL.
Not the one for the xt907, 926 & mb886.
I do believe a 925 can save themselves the bother of the factory path if they do not mind it being not reversible. Yet both are irreversibly noticeable.

Last edited:

Hybris95

Jan 31, 2014
Be careful, unlocking your bootloader will ENTIRELY WIPE the data you have so make backups
>>>>
This only happens on a moto factory UL.
Not the one for the xt907, 926 & mb886.

Sorry about that ;) I thought XT926 were close enough from XT925 (which is the only device I own) to have the same unlocking process.
My bad ^^

Jhall8

Sep 4, 2012
No offense intended, but if it's too difficult for you, than you probably shouldn't touch the phone until you understand everything. Before you start modding, you need to know how to recover it so we don't have another brick. Once you start to understand the minor things, it will be like a light switch and the more complex things will start to make sense.

This is an excellent point. When I first got into this a couple of years ago, I soft bricked my Bionic. I was able to recover it, but I could have avoided the problem if I had read a little more first. Now I read, read, read before trying something new. I found YouTube videos very helpful when I was a noob. Rootjunky is one resource, online and on YouTube. rootjunky.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

djvita

Sep 9, 2013
Guadalajara
Is post # 5 true for you & your 925 unlock?
Thanks

yes i supposedly backed up with cwm, but the last time i got in that option, it did not find that backup.
at least there is a firmware superthread, but my cwm is for 4.4 only, so id have to flash another cwm to go back to stock jb
i find a titanium backup to be better, just backup my sms/calls, wifi keys, and user apps...

boost4life17

Sep 26, 2013

No offense taken! I appreciate the constructive criticism. That is why I posted this question. I am reading all I can and I won't be attempting anything more until I understand the concepts. I just didn't know where to go for a more simple explanation of these concepts since apparently I'm not as intelligent as 90% of you guys on this forum!
I have already rooted and unlocked my phone so that's a good start haha. I will now follow the advice given in this thread and hopefully learn enough to understand these more complex concepts!

I appreciate everyone's information and responses!

Thanks ya'll
Jess

Hybris95

Jan 31, 2014
Good to hear you've placed these flammers where they have to be ^^
Anyway Nice job on what is done, the hardest and risky is still to come :/

Envoyé de mon XT925 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: boost4life17

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
yes i supposedly backed up with cwm, but the last time i got in that option, it did not find that backup.
at least there is a firmware superthread, but my cwm is for 4.4 only, so id have to flash another cwm to go back to stock jb
i find a titanium backup to be better, just backup my sms/calls, wifi keys, and user apps...

???
Cwm=Cwmr?
Recovery is made for phone not any particular rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Start
    Use Recovery Tools from play to flash your fav img.
    TWRP check my Problems post in HD gen. Pocket proof, easy

Not pocket proof:

CWMR be careful of the double touch conformation!-you can use the keys til you are versed w/ the input flukes that inspired Philz recovery. Otherwise solid & simple.
    I use Philz which may support everything in Rom Manager soon.
    RM works w/ Photon Q recovery works on all the msm8960 phones, xt907, 925, 926, mb886. keys only.

All recoveries
    Just because you can format it, it still may not be supported in the backup or even the xml restore (/persist)
    edit
    Get a SANDISK 64 GB CARD, FORMAT FROM RECOVERY to default format-fat32. Then when in doubt BACKUP.
    All for now
    bye
    well if you're already unlocked and rooted, use this

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_xt925

follow the instructions, go to the development forum, download TWRP, CWM whichever floats your boat, and just use adb and fastboot.
    id reccomend a backup, nandroid, titianium, etc.
    Good to hear you've placed these flammers where they have to be ^^
    Anyway Nice job on what is done, the hardest and risky is still to come :/

Envoyé de mon XT925 en utilisant Tapatalk
    I'm glad you didn't take offense. Just keep learning, you are off to a good start.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD using xda app-developers app