Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

Search This thread

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
No its a surface 3 atom just a standard tablet it only has 2gb ram too but i dont mind that much since it has good reviews. I didnt know you could vhange the wireless card in those chinese dual os tablets, i havnt seen any youtube videos or anywhere online that says it can be done. Someone did say i could get a wireless usb adapter to connect to the chinese tablet but they didnt say if the drivers work on the android part of the device.

well i run the latest moonlight to the lates GFE on my host on my windows 8.1 razer edge and it runs GTA V smooth as a nut - extremely playable! obviously only on 720p - but there you go

This forum would suggest that Moonlight for PC is not hardware related performance but i notice a big difference when using my edge. it has i7, 8gb ram and nvidia 640m card. i cannot comment how well it will run on the surace 3 atom rig?

maybe the dev will post something soon to give you an idea....

sallek97

Oct 9, 2013
well i run the latest moonlight to the lates GFE on my host on my windows 8.1 razer edge and it runs GTA V smooth as a nut - extremely playable! obviously only on 720p - but there you go

This forum would suggest that Moonlight for PC is not hardware related performance but i notice a big difference when using my edge. it has i7, 8gb ram and nvidia 640m card. i cannot comment how well it will run on the surace 3 atom rig?

maybe the dev will post something soon to give you an idea....
I would be tempted to go for a more powerful tablet but i already spent over 1200 quid to build a desktop, i know steam inhome works but since i have a nvidia card i thought moonlight would be 10 times better. I care alot less about quality i just want it to be smooth with as low latency as possible. I think im just gonna have to buy both and compare or just buy the surface 3 and wait until the devs bring moonlight to chrome. I have a s7 edge right now but with my luck even if i run moonlight samsungs new phone cannot connect with a ps3 or xbox controller. Just my luck lol. If xiaomi mi pad 2 was dual os that wouldve been perfect too. But there are officially no dual boot tablets which have 802.11ac. Lol thats what i want it for too. Gta 5, since thats all i play.

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
I would be tempted to go for a more powerful tablet but i already spent over 1200 quid to build a desktop, i know steam inhome works but since i have a nvidia card i thought moonlight would be 10 times better. I care alot less about quality i just want it to be smooth with as low latency as possible. I think im just gonna have to buy both and compare or just buy the surface 3 and wait until the devs bring moonlight to chrome. I have a s7 edge right now but with my luck even if i run moonlight samsungs new phone cannot connect with a ps3 or xbox controller. Just my luck lol. If xiaomi mi pad 2 was dual os that wouldve been perfect too. But there are officially no dual boot tablets which have 802.11ac. Lol thats what i want it for too. Gta 5, since thats all i play.

i have a bluetooth controller for my S6 and my galaxy pro - it is a lot easier as :

a) you dont have to carry around an OTG cable and an RF Xbox dongle and
b) the controller has clamps for your phone so you dont have to put it on a desk

I can guarantee this controller works 100%, is easy to use and all buttons map beautifully

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moga-Power-...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

sallek97

Oct 9, 2013
i have a bluetooth controller for my S6 and my galaxy pro - it is a lot easier as :

a) you dont have to carry around an OTG cable and an RF Xbox dongle and
b) the controller has clamps for your phone so you dont have to put it on a desk

I can guarantee this controller works 100%, is easy to use and all buttons map beautifully

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moga-Power-...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Ill most likely buy it soon then. Ill wait out on buying a tablet atm, btw you said you have gta? If you ever play online would you mind sharing your social club?

sallek97

Oct 9, 2013
mate i just play the basic campaign...have a fam and 2 young kids so its a mission finding time!
Lol ofcourse i understand lol, even though i asked i wasnt even planning on playing now i was talking about in 2 months lol. I havnt even installed the game. Im tempted to just buy a shield tablet and not get a windows tablet at all. I'm so indecisive. Is your samsung s6 rooted?

nk33

Jun 24, 2009
Lol ofcourse i understand lol, even though i asked i wasnt even planning on playing now i was talking about in 2 months lol. I havnt even installed the game. Im tempted to just buy a shield tablet and not get a windows tablet at all. I'm so indecisive. Is your samsung s6 rooted?

Yep. though it doesnt have to be - i run a custom rom on it., Criss Cross 12.0

eliott94260

Aug 20, 2010
That makes sense but even splashtop wasn't using that much data. I do get your point though, thanks brah
Normal splashtop can't use all your mobile bandswitch, Moonlight does (It can stream at 30mb s) so there is a lot amount of data ^^

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Anyone have a problem with on screen buttons on Moonlight with street fighter v? Its not detected at all, I have already tried the fix on geforce forum it doesn't work, anyone have the same issue?

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Firstly, thank you for developing this, it made a pissed of Nvidia customer not so pissed off :victory:

Nvidia Shield Android TV
GeForce Game Ready Driver 364.72
GeForce Experience 2.11.2.55 (after auto-update ethis morning)
Shield Hub Version: 4.10.20591762 ie /en_GB
Network: Gigabit Ethernet, Cat 6 cabling, Netgear R700 Nighthawk running DD-WRT, Shield Hub network test deemed it optimal, tested from PC latency is ~0.4ms.
Moonlight version: 4.5.6

1. Holding GFE version.

When Gamestream worked, it mostly worked quite well, but due to Shield Hub intermittently telling me it could not connect to my PC (perhaps a few times an hour), and Assassin's Creed Unity lagging, freezing, and disconnecting so much as to be unplayable, I followed a post on this forum on how to use Moonlight instead with an older version of GFE. I only did this after exhausting all other fixes, like removing the certificate, clean installing GFE, clearing the app data for Shield Hub. Moonlight seemed to resolve all issues, including Assassin's Creed Unity. Unfortunately GFE updated from the older version this morning, and this has undone the fix. I have 'Automaticaly download driver updates and let me choose when to install them' unchecked.

- Am I correct to make sure that is the version I currently use?

Edit: It can be stopped from updating by disabling Nvidia Network Service in services.msc.

2. Graphics Settings for Gamestream.

I had thought Moonlight (and Gamestream?) would change my graphics settings automatically, but this seems not to be the case. What I mean is that my desktop is connected to a G-Sync QHD 2560x1440p 144hz display, so my games are set to that resolution and refresh rate, with V-Sync turned off. I have seen several games streamed to my Shield (Gamestream and Moonlight) where the settings remain the same as they are on my desktop. Should these be changed automatically by Moonlight, to say 1980p, 60Hz, V-Sync on, or is it correct that we are supposed to do that ourselves? If the latter hopefully this is something that can be addressed, as it will be annoying having to change them depending on where we play from. Perhaps they do not need to be changed because of some Moonlight magic? The games after all do run, I just am inclined to lower the graphcs to 1980p 60Hz as that is the display of the TV, and it should increase game performance.

3. Autorecognition of Games & Cover Art.

I initially thought the games Moonlight displayed automatically on the shield, without having manually added any, were the same as the games GFE detected it can apply optimal settings to. On comparison I can see this is not the case. Some of my games I have had to add manually, and they still do not display the cover art, instead just a grey rectangle. I could have sworn Rust was showing there before with the cover art, although now it does not. How does this work, and I read somewhere it is important the art is displayed - does this affect the quality of the stream?

4. Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

I cannot get this game to work using Moonlight (or Gamestream), although last night immediately after trying to load it with Moonlight and then launching Dishonored, I was able to see the Gianna Sisters launcher, and select play. I think the issue is that the launcher does not come to the foreground, I have looked through the install directory and the settings, to see if I could find a way to bypass the launcher but I have not been able to - is there anyway to launch properly a game like this?

Last edited:

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010
Firstly, thank you for developing this, it made a pissed of Nvidia customer not so pissed off :victory:

Nvidia Shield Android TV
GeForce Game Ready Driver 364.72
GeForce Experience 2.11.2.55 (after auto-update ethis morning)
Shield Hub Version: 4.10.20591762 ie /en_GB
Network: Gigabit Ethernet, Cat 6 cabling, Netgear R700 Nighthawk running DD-WRT, Shield Hub network test deemed it optimal, tested from PC latency is ~0.4ms.
Moonlight version: 4.5.6

1. Holding GFE version.

When Gamestream worked, it mostly worked quite well, but due to Shield Hub intermittently telling me it could not connect to my PC (perhaps a few times an hour), and Assassin's Creed Unity lagging, freezing, and disconnecting so much as to be unplayable, I followed a post on this forum on how to use Moonlight instead with an older version of GFE. I only did this after exhausting all other fixes, like removing the certificate, clean installing GFE, clearing the app data for Shield Hub. Moonlight seemed to resolve all issues, including Assassin's Creed Unity. Unfortunately GFE updated from the older version this morning, and this has undone the fix. I have 'Automaticaly download driver updates and let me choose when to install them' unchecked.

- Am I correct to make sure that is the version I currently use?

Edit: It can be stopped from updating by disabling Nvidia Network Service in services.msc.

2. Graphics Settings for Gamestream.

I had thought Moonlight (and Gamestream?) would change my graphics settings automatically, but this seems not to be the case. What I mean is that my desktop is connected to a G-Sync QHD 2560x1440p 144hz display, so my games are set to that resolution and refresh rate, with V-Sync turned off. I have seen several games streamed to my Shield (Gamestream and Moonlight) where the settings remain the same as they are on my desktop. Should these be changed automatically by Moonlight, to say 1980p, 60Hz, V-Sync on, or is it correct that we are supposed to do that ourselves? If the latter hopefully this is something that can be addressed, as it will be annoying having to change them depending on where we play from. Perhaps they do not need to be changed because of some Moonlight magic? The games after all do run, I just am inclined to lower the graphcs to 1980p 60Hz as that is the display of the TV, and it should increase game performance.

3. Autorecognition of Games & Cover Art.

I initially thought the games Moonlight displayed automatically on the shield, without having manually added any, were the same as the games GFE detected it can apply optimal settings to. On comparison I can see this is not the case. Some of my games I have had to add manually, and they still do not display the cover art, instead just a grey rectangle. I could have sworn Rust was showing there before with the cover art, although now it does not. How does this work, and I read somewhere it is important the art is displayed - does this affect the quality of the stream?

4. Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

I cannot get this game to work using Moonlight (or Gamestream), although last night immediately after trying to load it with Moonlight and then launching Dishonored, I was able to see the Gianna Sisters launcher, and select play. I think the issue is that the launcher does not come to the foreground, I have looked through the install directory and the settings, to see if I could find a way to bypass the launcher but I have not been able to - is there anyway to launch properly a game like this?

1. You can use whichever GFE version works best for you. Unlike Shield Hub, I try to keep backwards compatibility as long as possible. Theoretically, Moonlight clients should have compatibility all the way back to GFE 2.1.1 (though I never test that far back).

2. As far as the GameStream protocool is concerned, there's just a flag to set if we want GFE to adjust game settings when starting the stream. Moonlight and Shield Hub don't directly control the actual settings chosen. IIRC, older GFE versions often did set the settings the way you describe, however recent ones seem to do something different. Having a higher display resolution than stream resolution isn't neccessarily useless, because a downsampled image may look better than an image rendered at the native resolution of the stream (similar to how DSR works).

3. The list of apps for GameStream is decided by GFE and it merely reports the list to Moonlight. The box art definitely has no effect on the stream quality at all. However, people may be confusing having box art with GFE recognizing the game and applying optimizations for streaming. Manually added games don't have the benefit of GFE's optimizations, so the streaming experience may not be as good as if GFE natively recognized the game.

4. You can try streaming your whole desktop - see steps here: https://github.com/moonlight-stream...using-moonlight-to-stream-your-entire-desktop

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Thank for all of that information! :)

It seems I edited too soon, whenever I reboot GFE updates, even with Nvidia Network Service set to disabled - do you have a recommended way to hold updates so I can keep using 2.11.2.46, which seems to prevent Assassin's Creed Unity stuttering for me?

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010
Thank for all of that information! :)

It seems I edited too soon, whenever I reboot GFE updates, even with Nvidia Network Service set to disabled - do you have a recommended way to hold updates so I can keep using 2.11.2.46, which seems to prevent Assassin's Creed Unity stuttering for me?

Have you tried the 2.11.2.65 update that was released today? You'll need to download it from NVIDIA's website manually since GFE won't autoupdate to it yet.

Reactions: djkix

Aladdin8880

Apr 5, 2016
can anyone help me stream with moonlight-chrome

i have Tom Clancy's The Division and trying to stream it to my friends over the internet from my laptop 970m

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010
Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 1)

Since there seems to be some interest in this Moonlight port for Chrome, I've decided to put a binary up for testing. Please report your thoughts on it.

Working:
- Pairing and streaming
- Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
- Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
- Keyboard and mouse input (with the caveat of Esc kicking the app out of full screen)

Not working:
- No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
- mDNS auto-discovery of PCs
- (Very) Non-final UI
- A few settings are missing
- Error handling needs work
- Controller detection can be wonky at times (try fully exiting and restarting Chrome)

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml92xvot25yn23x/moonlight-chrome.crx?dl=0

Last edited:

Aladdin8880

Apr 5, 2016
i am wiling to be a tester and put time and effort in to it

Since there seems to be some interest in this Moonlight port for Chrome, I've decided to put a binary up for testing. Please report your thoughts on it.

Working:
- Pairing and streaming
- Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
- Keyboard and mouse input (with the caveat of Esc kicking the app out of full screen)

Not working:
- No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
- (Very) Non-final UI
- Controller detection can be wonky at times (try fully exiting and restarting Chrome)

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

please stay in touch , anyone who like to cowork with me on this

runswithascript

Sep 23, 2012
Dublin
Have you tried the 2.11.2.65 update that was released today? You'll need to download it from NVIDIA's website manually since GFE won't autoupdate to it yet.

Yes, I actually installed it after seeing Josh's update just before I read your first reply last night. From what I have read on the official forums, issues occur often with GFE, is there a way to hold the version should that happen in future? I did stop and disable Nvidia Network Service in services.msc, but after rebooting (and confirming it was still disabled), on starting GFE it updated anyway (this is before installing the version released last night). The only other thing I read to try was to delete the SETUP 'app' (which I am assuming just means the .exe rather than that and the .ini) file in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience\Update, which I have done, but I do not know yet if that works.

2. As far as the GameStream protocool is concerned, there's just a flag to set if we want GFE to adjust game settings when starting the stream. Moonlight and Shield Hub don't directly control the actual settings chosen. IIRC, older GFE versions often did set the settings the way you describe, however recent ones seem to do something different. Having a higher display resolution than stream resolution isn't neccessarily useless, because a downsampled image may look better than an image rendered at the native resolution of the stream (similar to how DSR works).

1. - That flag, will it just have GFE adjust settings as per how they are configured to run on desktop, or does it do something different when using Moonlight/Gamestream on say a Shield TV? Do you know what the recent GFE versions you speak of do?

Yes, DSR had crossed my mind, and I also like the idea of not having to change settings depending on where I play from :laugh:

I think what I will do is configure all of my games to run at at least approximately 60 fps, including some GFE recognised and optimised games, as Nvidia seem to value image quality over refresh rate. I will configure the GFE optimised games by using the performance to quality slider within it.

2. - Since the Samsung TV I have the Shield TV connected to has a Samsung rated refresh rate of 300 'PQI', which is estimated to be between 60 Hz and 100 Hz (PITA they do not just give this information out anymore), for games that are running on my desktop with a refresh rate more like 144 Hz, should I lower their in game settings, or does Moonlight and GS encode the stream to the lower refresh rate automatically?

3. - As my desktop monitor is G-Sync I have games configured with V-Sync off, should I enable G-Sync when streaming to the TV?

3. The list of apps for GameStream is decided by GFE and it merely reports the list to Moonlight. The box art definitely has no effect on the stream quality at all. However, people may be confusing having box art with GFE recognizing the game and applying optimizations for streaming. Manually added games don't have the benefit of GFE's optimizations, so the streaming experience may not be as good as if GFE natively recognized the game.

I had thought initially the games Gamestream displayed the art for were the same ones GFE recognised for optimisation, but there are games displayed with art in Moonlight/Gamestream that GFE did not recognise to optimise automatically. Basically there are three categories, i. Games GFE recognises for optimisation and displays the box art for in ML/GS, ii: Games GFE does not recognise for optimisation, either because the games are not supported or a bug (e.g. Alien Isolation not supported), but still displays the box art for, and iii: games that had to be added manually and do not display the box art.

4. - Would you ever considering adding some kind of box art feature to Moonlight for this third category, perhaps it could work how Kodi does with TV Shows etc? In fact, a Moonlight plugin for Kodi would be very, very cool :eek: ;)

I will check that out, although I am hoping the game will just launch normally, it is after all on the officially supported list!

eliott94260

Aug 20, 2010
Anyone have a problem with on screen buttons on Moonlight with street fighter v? Its not detected at all, I have already tried the fix on geforce forum it doesn't work, anyone have the same issue?

jeebspawnshop

Feb 6, 2008
Moonlight Chrome Issue #1

Hey Cam,

Attached is a screenshot of the Moonlight Chrome Alpha, with an issue;

It pairs successfully (as evidenced by the toast), but it doesn't show a games list, regardless of whether I re-pair, fetch the games list, click the drop-down menu and dance a jig.

Looks real sexy though - well done! :highfive:

FYI: I blanked out my IP address :p

Attachments

• moonlight_chrome.png
    moonlight_chrome.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

djkix

Apr 7, 2016
Hello,
I would like to say a big thanks to all the Moonlight team.
You have done an incredible work, and it is a fantastic app!
@cgutman, your Chrome App works like a charm, and it is fantastic to play The Division on my Mac or on my TV :)
Keep the good work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please don't ask for Moonlight help on Nvidia's forums! It's not their responsibility to support this app. Ask on this forum, another non-Nvidia forum, by email, etc

What happened to Limelight?/Why did you change your name?
    On April 21, 2015, we received a Cease and Desist letter from Limelight Networks, Inc. They also do streaming services and were concerned about confusion between this project and their company trademarks. To comply with the terms of their C&D, we've decided to rename our project to Moonlight.

Quick Links
    Main website: https://moonlight-stream.org
    Help: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-docs/wiki/Setup-Guide
    Discord: https://moonlight-stream.org/discord
    PC GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt
    iOS GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-ios
    Android GitHub project: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android
    Android GitHub releases page (APKs): https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android/releases
    Embedded port (for Raspberry Pi and other embedded devices): https://github.com/irtimmer/limelight-embedded
    GearVR port (for GearVR devices): http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=14

iOS version
    The iOS port of Moonlight is now on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moonlight-game-streaming/id1000551566

Windows, Mac, and Linux port
    PC port binaries: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/releases
    PC port source: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt

Moonlight for Chrome OS
    Download the latest version from the Chrome Web Store.

General Streaming Latency Information
    The latency of streaming is dependent on the device you're streaming to and the network you're streaming over. Different devices have different H.264 hardware decoding latency. After streaming, a toast will show up with latency numbers. It will show the total client latency and the portion of the total client latency spent waiting for the hardware decoder. Note that the total client latency does NOT include network latency, so the real latency is higher than the number you see. The total client latency is a measure of the time that the first packet in a frame is received to the time that the frame is released for rendering on screen.

Anecdotal Hardware Decoder Latency Numbers
    These are some latency numbers (from memory) I've seen on my test devices as of Moonlight Android 4.0.1. I'll try to keep updating this as I test.

Tier 1 devices:
    Tegra 4 - Nvidia Shield - 5 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Intel Atom/Bay Trail/Moorefield - Nexus Player - 8 ms - 1080p60 supported (may need a USB OTG Ethernet adapter for consistent performance)
    Razer Forge TV - 10 ms - 1080p60 supported - H.265 supported
    Tegra X1 - SHIELD Android TV - 10 ms - 4K60 supported - H.265 supported in hardware but needs changes in Moonlight to work well
    Tegra K1 - Nexus 9 - 15 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Tegra 3 - OUYA and Nexus 7 (2012) - 17 ms - 1080p60 supported

Tier 2 devices:
    Broadcom VideoCore IV - Fire TV Stick - 20 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported
    Exynos 7420 - Galaxy S6 - 20 ms - 1080p60/4K30 supported - H.265 supported
    Snapdragon S4 Pro (rebranded 600) - Nexus 7 (2013) - 20 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported
    Snapdragon 801 - HTC One M8 GPE - 20 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Snapdragon 800 - Nexus 5 - 20 ms - 1080p60 supported
    Snapdragon 600 - Fire TV (2014) - 30 ms - 720p60/1080p30 supported

Tier 3 devices:
    MediaTek devices - Fire TV (2015) - 55 ms - 1080p60 supported - H.265 supported

Adding games/apps that aren't automatically found
    You can stream any almost any game or app by adding the EXE file to GFE manually (if it's not found by the automatic app scan). Open GeForce Experience, click the Preferences tab, click GameStream on the sidebar, then click the add (+) button on the right. Browse to the app or file you want to add and click OK. You can rename the app using the edit button on the right (near the add button).

Using Moonlight as a remote desktop solution
    You can stream the entire Windows desktop via Moonlight. Follow step 2 from this guide

Streaming over the Internet
    Install the Moonlight Internet Streaming Helper on your host gaming PC to enable streaming over the Internet. If your router supports UPnP, you won't need to make any manual changes.

If the above tool isn't able to enable Internet streaming automatically or your router doesn't support it, forward these ports manually:
    TCP 47984, 47989, 48010
    UDP 47998, 47999, 48000, 48010

General requirements for current APK:
    SoC capable of decoding H.264 High Profile in hardware (Snapdragon, Exynos, Tegra 3 or higher, Rockchip, and more)
    Android 4.1 or higher
    GeForce Experience with a GTX 600/700/800/900 GPU or GTX 600M/700M/800M (GT-series not supported)
    Xbox, PS3 (with SixAxis app), Moga (B/HID mode), Shield, or Ouya controller (other controllers may work too in HID mode)
    Mid to high-end wireless router (preferably dual-band 802.11n or better)
    Good wireless connection to your Android device

Troubleshooting tips:
    1. Make sure GeForce Experience is open, up-to-date, and that you've scanned for games.

2. Make sure your device is on the same network as your computer for initial pairing.

3. Try disabling any firewall software running on your machine.

4. Try rebooting your machine. Sometimes the streaming software gets into a messed up state where it won't work normally until the machine is rebooted.

5. Make sure your Android device has a strong wireless connection (and your PC too, if it's connected wirelessly).

6. For Internet streaming, make sure to install Moonlight Internet Streaming Helper on your host gaming PC, then run the Moonlight Internet Streaming Tester that it installs to troubleshoot further.

7. To check if GFE is working properly, try navigating to the following URLs on your GFE PC:
    http://127.0.0.1:47989/serverinfo?uniqueid=1234
    https://127.0.0.1:47984/serverinfo?uniqueid=1234

For those with latency issues, please see this post.

Device-related issues
    Depending on the wireless chipset on your phone/tablet, you may have a bad streaming experience if Bluetooth is active while streaming. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this. If you experience significant connection degradation with a Bluetooth controller connected, you could try connecting the controller to your PC (see the section above), a USB Ethernet adapter, or controller that connects directly to your Android device (assuming your Android device supports USB OTG)

Older Changes:

Update 12 - March 13, 2014:
    Significant video quality improvements. Lower video latency. New UI that makes it easier to choose the best streaming settings. Transient messages are displayed while streaming if network or device problems are detected.

Update 11:
    Tegra hardware decoding latency bug is fixed. Hardware decoding is now used by default on Tegra and Rockchip devices. Performance is vastly improved on Tegra devices (1080p60 decodes in real-time, even on Tegra 3). The parser bug causing additional artifacts and image corruption is (finally) fixed.

Update 10:
    Added options to force either hardware or software decoding. Reduce audio decoding CPU usage. Fix image quality and performance regressions from update 9.

Update 9:
    Reduced CPU usage of video decoding. Added options to choose target resolution (720p or 1080p) and FPS (30 or 60).

Update 8:
    Added a checkbox to choose image quality vs performance (only for CPU decoding). Optimize CPU decoding further. The frame rate is now playable on the Ouya with its Tegra 3..

Update 7:
    Connectivity issues should be resolved now. Update to the latest APK if you were experiencing connection failures with the last couple of releases.

Update 6:
    There's now GUI feedback when connecting. The whitelist for hardware decoding (that only included Qualcomm decoders) has now been replaced with a blacklist (currently containing TI and Nvidia decoders). The Exynos decoder in Exynos 5 Octa has been confirmed to work.

Update 5:
    The app will now request a new reference frame if packet loss occurs on the video stream. This means that the stream will recover from blockiness and artifacting that occur when video packets get lost. CPU decoding for non-Snapdragon devices is a bit better. Fixed back button on Shield.

Update 4:
    Added multithreaded CPU H264 decoding support for non-Snapdragon devices with ffmpeg. Both landscape orientations now work. This grows the APK significantly so don't be alarmed when this download is larger than previous builds.

Tegra 4 is now very smooth in the games I've tested. Tegra 3 works significantly better than before, but still not perfect (and won't likely ever be as smooth as Snapdragon or Tegra 4).

For Qualcomm devices, a dual-core SoC (even as old as Cortex-A8 stuff) is sufficient due to the hardware decoder. For other devices, CPU decoding will now be used. These devices will need more CPU horsepower (a quad-core Tegra 3 is almost enough).

Look forward to keyboard support and a better GUI coming in the next several days.

Update 3:
    Frame pacing improvements for Snapdragon and Tegra devices, although Tegra still has more latency than Snapdragon devices. If you have issues with blockiness or discoloration in the video stream, make sure that you have a good wireless connection. Moonlight doesn't currently deal with packet loss as well as the Shield streaming app.

Update 2:
    PS3, Xbox, Shield, and Moga Pro controllers are working with the latest APK.

Update:
    Audio is now working. Video is working pretty well on Snapdragon devices (with some lag on Tegra devices). I've attached the current APK here for those that want to test. Due to the framework we're using for video decoding, this app requires Android 4.1 or higher. This is still in alpha so expect bugs.

Original post:
    Here is a demo of a WIP app that uses the same Shield streaming technology to stream to any Android device. Controller and mouse input works. Keyboard input isn't implemented yet. Video support works (minus some artifacts at rare points and minor frame pacing issues). Audio doesn't work yet (not sure what format it is).

We've had success with very low H264 decoding latency on Snapdragon S4 Pro/600 devices (like the 2013 Nexus 7 and HTC One), but the Tegra 3/4 decoder has a high latency per frame (~1 second) that makes streaming more laggy on devices like the Ouya, 2012 Nexus 7, and even the Shield itself.

The next big step to a release-ready app is audio support (and the obligatory code cleanup). I'd be happy to respond to any questions about the way the app or the GFE streaming protocol works. If there's significant interest in this, I'll try to put more time into finishing it ASAP.

Demo video (a bit old now):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOti83qZRU

Downloads:
    I'd recommend downloading the app from the Play Store. Updates are automatically applied through the Play Store when they are released. Crash reports also get to us automatically if you use the Play Store version and click the Report button if Moonlight crashes.

Google Play Link

Sometimes APKs are more convenient for sideloading and other things, so they will continue to be posted.

You can find the latest APKs on the GitHub page here: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-android/releases
    Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 1)

Working:
    - Pairing and streaming

Not working:
    - (Very) Non-final UI

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml92xvot25yn23x/moonlight-chrome.crx?dl=0
    Good News about Qualcomm Decoder Latency

I found by luck that the SDP attributes on the new GFE beta 2.4.0.9 allow the client to adjust video slicing parameters. I've released a new build that enables slicing on GFE 2.4 to reduce latency of Qualcomm devices (hopefully back to 2.1.3 levels). It will also improve the latency on the Fire TV as it's also a Qualcomm device.

The build is rolling out on Play Store, waiting for review on Amazon store, and up on GitHub now.

Remember, you MUST have GFE beta updates turned on and be running GFE 2.4.0.9 or higher with Limelight v3.1.4.

You can enable beta updates for GFE on the Preferences tab in the General pane.
    Another GFE 2.1 status update: success!

I've figured out secure pairing and encrypted input (required for GFE 2.1) and implemented them in Limelight-common. There's just a bit more work to do for platform-specific support (certificate and private key generation and storage) on Android and PC. My PoC code was able to stream from a GFE 2.1 box over the Internet to a custom version of Limelight-PC.

I'm off for some much needed rest (4:54 AM here), but we're on the home stretch. Expect a release for Android and PC in the next day or so.

Update: It's done! Limelight Android version 2.3 is rolling out on the Play Store, waiting for approval on the Ouya store, and posted https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-android/releases. Limelight PC is released too https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-pc/releases
    Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 2)

Changes from Alpha 1:
    - Fixed Esc key kicking the app out of full-screen (press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q to quit)
    - Fixed sometimes requiring a restart of Chrome for gamepad detection to work
    - Added mDNS auto-discovery of PCs

Working:
    - Pairing and streaming
    - Keyboard and mouse input

Not working:
    - (Very) Non-final UI

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19391088/moonlight-chrome-alpha2.crx