What SD class does D3 supports?

Search This thread

fotoingo

Jun 22, 2007
I experience the same problem, but it's really strange because this never happened on my Blackberry Torch before. I didn't have any instances of data corruption. I also think it's got something to do with reading the files, since I'm really not doing any writes to the disk.

I had the same problem with a cheap Class 10 Card.

Can anyone recommend a Class10 Card for the Droid 3 ??

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
I replaced my crappy Lexar 32gig Class 10 with a Kingston 32gig Class 10. Much better, no corruption at all! Ive had it for 3 weeks now.

Sent from my XT860 using XDA App

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
I read in a couple of different forums to change the format type.
I have a Lexar 32GB MicroSD.

Again, I had no corruption when I was on blackberry, only when I switched to Android (3 months no corruption beforehand).

1 forum recommended to download the SD Card formatting tool and reformat the disk using a Windows / Mac machine. The tool can be downloaded here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

The original thread is here:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-help/9057-files-corrupting-my-sdhc-card.html

On the other hand, someone from XDA developers posted a solution in which the card is formatted without LBA mode, as a FAT32 file system and using 32K clusters.

You can read the XDA-developers post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1010228

I just tried the sd card format utility and will come back with results after a couple of days.

Reactions: bfranclemont

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Looks like it's working. After a few reboots, a few unmounts and a few days I can easily say the microwd format fix resolved my issue! Plus the speeds on this thing are a lot faster... who would have thought...

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

jweber228

Aug 1, 2011
Looks like it's working. After a few reboots, a few unmounts and a few days I can easily say the microwd format fix resolved my issue! Plus the speeds on this thing are a lot faster... who would have thought...

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

Thanks for the heads up! I also used the sd format tool and things are much better now.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA App

jweber228

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for the heads up! I also used the sd format tool and things are much better now.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA App

Spoke too soon, still seeing corruption and losing files. Was fine til I started putting music on it, started out tranferring fast but slowed to a crawl after a bit. I guess the card I have either sucks or I got a lemon.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

bfranclemont

Aug 3, 2010
Akron, NY
Droid 3 SD results

This post re-lit my hatred for a Patriot Class 10 I bought on eBay so i decided to do some investigation. I want to determine if the D3 performs differently with manufacturer's advertised SD card speeds

I mounted my DROID3's microSD card directly to my PC (Win7) via Clockwork Recovery (so no overhead from android OS), tested with CrystalDiskMark and came up with these results...

SanDisk 16GB Class 2 (Came with my Droid 1)
SanDisk16GBClass2.png

SanDisk 8GB Class 4 (Found it somewhere)
SanDisk8GBClass4.png

Patriot 8GB Class 10 (bought on stupid eBay)
Patriot16GBClass10.png

Every card is showing the same results. I will test these cards again on my Work PC to see if I get different results and post them tomorrow.

Last edited:

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Don't forget that the classes indicate the minimum transfer speed of the card. For class 2, the manufacturer guarantees a minimum speed of 2mB/s.
The classes are probably a 90% marketing trick, since a class 10 card could also be called a class 2 card vice versa.

bfranclemont

Aug 3, 2010
Akron, NY
the results are in

I tested 3 different microSD cards three different ways.

In Green: Mounted the SD card to my Win7 PC at home via Clockwork Recovery.
In Blue: Mounted the SD card to a WinVista PC at work via SD reader on the PC.
In Red: Mounted the SD card to my WinVista PC at work via Clockwork Recovery.

SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk16GBClass2-1.jpg

SanDisk 4GB Class 4
SanDisk8GBClass4-1.jpg

Patriot 8GB Class 10
Patriot8GBClass10.jpg

Conclusion:
- My boss is wrong saying our computers are fast
- My work PC actually is slow as balls.
- Purchasing an SD card based on an advertised Class Rating is pointless.
- You should buy microSD cards from trusted manufacturers based on:
capacity, warranty, and of course best price!!

**edit**
Just to throw this out there... The CrystalDiskMark tool could also be bogus.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

i apologize for the large photos to those reading this on the XDA app. you will need to open each pic individually to see all the screenshots.

Last edited:

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
I have a SanDisk 32GB Class 2 card in my phone and it is very fast, tests like a Class 4, everything opens quickly, movies play perfectly, no corruption etc... Got it on Amazon 9 months ago for $60, I'm sure they are cheaper now. The point is, you get what you pay for. I chose to pay more and have much less of a chance of all my pictures up and vanishing or my data becoming corrupted or my MD5 checksums not validating etc...

You do not NEED a class 10 holy omfballs card in your smartphone, a good class 2 is going to be just as good and even if there is a somewhat appreciable difference in testing, I highly doubt you notice it in every day actual operation of your device.

pujdo1

Aug 26, 2011
I have a micro sdhc 32gb class 10 in my droid 3 from patriot.
It works great and have nice speeds.

leerpsp

May 13, 2011
not saying
I'm going to get one of them 64gb cards for my phone when I get the money because I do a lot of downloading with my phone and I need the space if you guys will like to know if it works then I will test it in my droid 3 and take screen shots for ya

Phibernaut

Aug 30, 2011
Blairstown, NJ
Google Pixel 3a XL
SD, SDHC, microSD, microSDHC, etc are standardized formats so generally you're able to run any capacity or class rating assuming you stick with the correct card types. That said, the Motorola site indicates we can only run up to 32GB. Recent firmware updates may have increased this since its realease and newer 64GB microSDHC cards MAY work, but its a risk especially considering the manufacturer specifications. You may only be able to access some of the card or none at all. IF you decide to go for it, be aware of microSDXC formats starting beyond 32GB - these would further complicate things due to the new/different standards.

amedeh123

Aug 5, 2012
i remember seeing people getting 64gb cards to work on devices that only supports up to 32gb, by formattingit in a different way

i wouldnt risk it though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a class 4 32GB card in mine and it works just fine. As far as I know it even records 1080p video at that speed. 32GB is the max that it will support as it only supports SDHC and anything over 32GB is SDXC.
    I read in a couple of different forums to change the format type.
    I have a Lexar 32GB MicroSD.

Again, I had no corruption when I was on blackberry, only when I switched to Android (3 months no corruption beforehand).

1 forum recommended to download the SD Card formatting tool and reformat the disk using a Windows / Mac machine. The tool can be downloaded here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

The original thread is here:
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-help/9057-files-corrupting-my-sdhc-card.html

On the other hand, someone from XDA developers posted a solution in which the card is formatted without LBA mode, as a FAT32 file system and using 32K clusters.

You can read the XDA-developers post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1010228

I just tried the sd card format utility and will come back with results after a couple of days.