[KERNEL] M-Kernel [MOVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Nico_60

Apr 30, 2012
Re: [KERNEL][3G+WIFI][4.2.2] M-Kernel - a37

One quick question. I tried to update to the latest version a37. I don't know whether I've successfully updated it or not because I'm using Multiboot and there was some kind of error message during the flashing process. In my Settings app I get this info about my current kernel: 3.1.10-MKernel-446-666-g2666ef1. Is this the latest version?

I have also this info with a37

Reactions: browy

PsychoMcSatan

Sep 8, 2012
Wakanada
Red Magic 6S Pro
Yeah, I've gotten a bit curious with GPU overclock since I moved from Franco's kernel. With his, I left it at 600 with no apparent issues. With a37, I get crashes with anything higher that about 560 even before opening a GPU-intensive game. That being said, overall performance seems better with a37 even with the lower clocked GPU.

I don't notice any stuttering with Most Wanted, except just once every few races I have a big one or even two second pause. I'll try dropping GPU down even further as you suggested and see if it helps.

-PMS

After some more tinkering, I've found that I could hit 600MHz gpu with a bit more voltage and gaming performance improves noticeably. I'm guessing that Franco's kernel must ramp up voltage automatically. I'll do some experimentation to find the lowest stable voltages for my N7, but anyone know of a thread where other folks have shared their settings?

Thanks,
PMS

Reactions: kuka1992

surtrafl

Feb 11, 2011
Buenos Aires
-Can someone provide me with the default tuneable values from TouchDemand governor?

-Also I need the file under /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

Thanks in advance.

mrazndead

Aug 7, 2011

I'm curious with what others set their voltage settings at as well. And how it affects the tablet

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
After some more tinkering, I've found that I could hit 600MHz gpu with a bit more voltage and gaming performance improves noticeably. I'm guessing that Franco's kernel must ramp up voltage automatically. I'll do some experimentation to find the lowest stable voltages for my N7, but anyone know of a thread where other folks have shared their settings?

Thanks,
PMS

Correct. Unlike other kernels, m-kernel does not automatically raise the core voltage to pre-determined fixed values when you increase the GPU frequency. Instead I let you to set the GPU voltage yourself with TricksterMod.

surtrafl

Feb 11, 2011
Buenos Aires
Disable any apps that change those on boot... and then reboot.

Sorry Metallice, my enquiries are to set proper values for other device,
recently in a kernel for the one x, it was implemented the Touchdemand governor, and I wanted to know
some nice values for the governor knowing your kernel already has a good time with it.

Also, I asked for the UV table to know the default values that you are using for each cpu frequency, for test purpouse.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Sorry Metallice, my enquiries are to set proper values for other device,
recently in a kernel for the one x, it was implemented the Touchdemand governor, and I wanted to know
some nice values for the governor knowing your kernel already has a good time with it.

Also, I asked for the UV table to know the default values that you are using for each cpu frequency, for test purpouse.

Well no duh this kernel has a good time with it. It's a modified ondemand governor that I made for this kernel and device.

Currently I have the TouchDemand defaults set to (going down the list in TricksterMod) - 5, off, on, 0, 2, 20000, on, 4, 475000, 1000, 0, 98.

Voltages
/* Cpu voltages (mV): ________800, 825, 850, 875, 900, 912, _ 975, 1000, 1025, 1050, 1075, 1100, 1125, 1150, 1175,
CPU_DVFS("cpu_g", 4, 2, MHZ, 550, 550, 770, 770, 910, 910, 1150, 1230, 1280, 1330, 1370, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700),

Last edited:

surtrafl

Feb 11, 2011
Buenos Aires
Well no duh this kernel has a good time with it. It's a modified ondemand governor that I made for this kernel and device.

Currently I have the TouchDemand defaults set to (going down the list in TricksterMod) - 5, off, on, 0, 2, 20000, on, 4, 475000, 1000, 0, 98.

Voltages
/* Cpu voltages (mV): 800, 825, 850, 875, 900, 912, 975, 1000, 1025, 1050, 1075, 1100, 1125, 1150, 1175, 1200, 1212, 1237 */
CPU_DVFS("cpu_g", 4, 2, MHZ, 550, 550, 770, 770, 910, 910, 1150, 1230, 1280, 1330, 1370, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700),

Thanks! for the uv table,
Also, under touch min cores I put 2, also added 2 steps to touch floor freq, and downed threshold to 95. I think this will eat battery, but I'm getting an amazing UI speed that neither interactive can match...

But I want something from this, I wanted the governor to mantain touch_min_cores like "max" cores (like, use only 2 cores, no more than that!)... but if only 2 cores can't handle the threshold (Like if you open NFS, epic citadel, or MHL) just ramp it to max 4 cores, like if the governor worked as hotplug

What do you think about it?

bcvictory

Oct 6, 2011
Bendigo

Voltages
/* Cpu voltages (mV): ________800, 825, 850, 875, 900, 912, _ 975, 1000, 1025, 1050, 1075, 1100, 1125, 1150, 1175,

Hey Metallice,
Just wondering how long does your battery last on your setup?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

DEFJAMVAN

Aug 3, 2012
Hello there. I new to flashing kernels and I chose this one. I flashed it in TWRP but what happens now. Am I supposed to have a performance tab in the settings because I don't?

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno

Hello there. I new to flashing kernels and I chose this one. I flashed it in TWRP but what happens now. Am I supposed to have a performance tab in the settings because I don't?

Look in OP(original post) for link to Trickster Mod...

Nexus 7 | PA 3.00 4.2.2 | Nova Prime | M-Kernel-a37
Nook Color | PA 2.99 | Nova Prime

xfrancis14

Sep 6, 2012

Download trickster mod from the play store and you'll see all the things you can do :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Hey Metallice,
Just wondering how long does your battery last on your setup?

I dunno. I don't really obsess over that unless I'm specifically looking at it for tweaking touchdemand for example.

Hmm... looking at it today... 5hrs 6min screen on time, 30% left.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
  • optimized compiler flags
  • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
  • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
  • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
  • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
  • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
  • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
  • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
  • Runnable threads hot plugging
  • FSync control (Ezekeel)
  • Glibc memcpy and memmove
  • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
  • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
  • LP core overclock to 666MHz
  • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
  • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
  • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
  • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
  • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
  • Faster LP -> G transitioning
  • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
  • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
  • Tweaked CFS parameters
  • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
  • Block: recursive merge requests
  • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
  • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
  • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
  • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
  • allow use of a controller native max block size
  • optimized crypto algorythms
  • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
  • Better hot plugging delays
  • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
  • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
  • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
  • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
  • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
  • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
  • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
  • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
  • Input: Send one packet at a time
  • support for ROM built-in OTG support
  • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
  • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
  • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
  • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
  • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
  • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
  • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
  • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list

S3tArtist

Nov 24, 2011

nice list u got there... o_O

sent from PAranoid Nexus 7 powered by M-kernel

bcvictory

Oct 6, 2011
Bendigo

I dunno. I don't really obsess over that unless I'm specifically looking at it for tweaking touchdemand for example.

Hmm... looking at it today... 5hrs 6min screen on time, 30% left.

I'm guessing that's with the recommended settings?

P.S: Is this based off of Motley? So if Motley adds something (that somehow this doesn't have) it appears in this kernel?

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010

I'm guessing that's with the recommended settings?

P.S: Is this based off of Motley? So if Motley adds something (that somehow this doesn't have) it appears in this kernel?

Yes.

No.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would you guys feel about me closing this thread and starting a new one in Android Original Development? It technically belongs there anyway, and I wouldn't mind reserving a couple more posts in the beginning for a FAQ and other stuff. Hopefully to stop any more "Why is my min stuck at 340MHz?!?" and others like it :)
    Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
    • optimized compiler flags
    • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
    • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
    • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
    • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
    • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
    • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
    • Runnable threads hot plugging
    • FSync control (Ezekeel)
    • Glibc memcpy and memmove
    • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
    • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    • LP core overclock to 666MHz
    • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
    • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
    • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    • Faster LP -> G transitioning
    • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    • Tweaked CFS parameters
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • Block: recursive merge requests
    • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
    • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
    • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
    • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
    • allow use of a controller native max block size
    • optimized crypto algorythms
    • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    • Better hot plugging delays
    • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
    • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
    • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
    • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
    • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
    • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
    • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
    • Input: Send one packet at a time
    • support for ROM built-in OTG support
    • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
    • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
    • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
    • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
    • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
    Now, on to my status with this -
    As a quick fix, I will revert this patch for the next build. This should hopefully solve all issues with a33 including, but not limited to, SODs, reboots, and increased battery drain in LP1 (too little voltage, but not little enough to cause freezes/reboots, has been shown to actually cause increased battery drain as compensation).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to whip up a quick fix for a couple reasons.

For one, I have other responsibilities. I had a Physics midterm early today and had to spend time reviewing and studying. Also, my father purchased a new HDTV (very nice one, super jealous) and I had to help him go pick it up and transport it, unpack it, remove the old, gigantic, heavy as f---, rear projection DLP HDTV, set up/secure/mount the new one, situate all the cables with the FIOS box/DVD/AV receiver/Surround sound, reprogram the universal remote, set up the new smart tv capabilities with the internet and their internet video services, update the TV software, set up the 3d and 3d glasses, and teach them all how to use the new stuff.

Second, my computer broke. The graphics card started acting up, kept getting messages about it failing and successfully restarting until it no longer would successfully restart. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and the whole kitchen sink, but the card was dead and there was no way around it. Aren't laptops with their all-fused components wonderful :rolleyes:? To be honest four years is a decent run for a cheap 4-yo HP. Anyway, I need a computer for school so I got a new one as an early birthday present.

So I have a new computer now. First of all it's a macbook so I'm going to have to learn how to use OSX for one thing and get everything set up, and I'm going to have to re-make my kernel build environment from scratch which will take some time.

So hang tight please!