[APP][2.3+]Kakudo: Faster App Switching and Multitasking

Search This thread

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Feature_Graphic.png

Introducing Kakudo Lite an app for faster app switching and multitasking.

WHAT IT DOES:
Kakudo allows users to switch between apps faster by just swiping. Swiping from the left or right sides of their devices opens the most recent open apps. If you want to copy text from a website to paste in a document, Kakudo makes it easier and faster to switch back and forth between your apps. Swiping up from the bottom and adding your most used apps to the Favorite Apps Drawer allows you to open your favorite apps without having to navigate back to the homescreen to do so. Adding toggles to the Favorite Apps Drawer allows you to turn them on without having to leave the app your currently in or to just check to see if the toggle is on/off since Kakudo's toggles show whether they are on/off.

Kakudo is also ergonomically designed to make it easier to use on larger screens. It's easier for your thumb to reach down when holding your device in the middle instead of up.

FEATURES:
- Swipe from the left or right to cycle through recent apps

- Swipe from the bottom to open your Favorite Apps Drawer

- Add your most used apps/toggles to the Favorite Apps Drawer (Limited to 7)

- Choose to start on boot

- Toggles indicate whether they are on/off

- Drag and Drop to reorder/remove apps and toggles from the Favorite Apps Drawer (Android Honeycomb and Above)

- True Swipe Detection

- Multi-Touch Mode

- Long Swipe or 2 (3 in Multi-Touch Mode) finger Swipe for All Recent Apps Window

- Kill Background Processes from the All Recent Apps Window

- Favorite Apps Drawer ergonomically design for easier use

- Minimal RAM/CPU footprint and closes fully when turned off

- Change sensitivity and size of swipe detection areas

- Adjust Icon size to best suit your preferences

-Languages Supported:
English, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Hungarian, Chinese, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian

UPGRADE TO PRO AND UNLOCK:
- Unlimited apps/toggles on Favorite Apps Drawer

- Favorite Apps Drawer on the Right Side

- One-Side Mode

- Change gravity location of side swipe detection areas

- Customize Favorite Apps Drawer Color and Opacity
-Choose from 8 Color Schemes or Create your Own

- Disable Notification Icon

- Additional features to come...

ADDITIONAL INFO:
- Apps may not launch when at the home screen, this is not a problem with Kakudo it is a bug with the Android system

- GPS toggle may not work on all devices (Use GPS Settings instead)

- A Persistent Notification is required by Android to allow Kakudo to stay open

- Killing App Background Processes removes them to free up memory and does NOT close them

- If you can help translate Kakudo to your language please go to https://applokaligo.appspot.com/app/#/projects/1775020

png.png
tablet.png

Downloads
Lite Version | Pro Version
If you want to be a beta tester join this group
**Pro Version is on Sale for the first week**​

**Thank you to all the XDA Members who helped test Kakudo
**Thank you to all the XDA Members who translated Kakudo

5/23/13: Featured on the XDA homepage

ChangeLog:
5/30/13:
KAKUDO 2.0:
-Redesigned Settings Menu
-All Apps toggle
-True Swipe detection (no more accidental triggers)
-Imporved detection areas for Higher Res devices
-Animation on Side Swipe for Android Jelly Bean

Introducing:
-One-Side (Pro Version Only):
Have the swipe detection area on one-side and swipe up to go one way and down to go the other
-All Recent Apps Window
Long Swipe or 2 (3 in multi-touch mode) finger Swipe to see All Recent Apps
Hold down on an app to kill background processes
-Multi-Touch
Turn on to use 2 fingers for fast switching between apps and 3 to open All Recent Apps Window

Changes:
-Favorite App Drawer limit raised to 7
-Favorite Apps Drawer Pre-Filled on First Start for Better Visibility
5/23/13:
-Added NFC and GPS Settings buttons in toggles
-Fixed the ClassDefNotFound error for android 2.3 devices
-Other bug fixes

5/20/13:
-New app icon
-Fixed the settings issue when turning off the app drawer and then trying to change sensitivity
-Add three new toggles (Sound, Notification Sound, and Rotate Lock)
-Added haptic feedback for the swipes and when long clicking an icon in Favs drawer
-Also some UI changes to better accommodate languages other than english and the add fav button on Android 3.0+
-Other bug fixes

Last edited:

bouncynemoss

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks that's why I put it on sale, to try and entice people to adopt it. I'll continue to add to it and fix any bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

:) Could you make it vibrate when the app detects my swiping? At the moment I can't tell if the app is lagging or it's not detecting my swipes.

Edit: Early review, I'm mostly just using this app to "return" to my previous app after I respond to a message. It's very nice for that feature. I find the app drawer really hard to use because I have a navigation bar there.

Last edited:

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
:) Could you make it vibrate when the app detects my swiping? At the moment I can't tell if the app is lagging or it's not detecting my swipes.

Yes this will be coming in a future update. I only have tablets so it was hard for me to test this feature, but Google has just released an update to Google play that allows developers to upload betas and I have a few people who said they would help test features for me

Edit: Early review, I'm mostly just using this app to "return" to my previous app after I respond to a message. It's very nice for that feature. I find the app drawer really hard to use because I have a navigation bar there.

I understand the difficulty with this but the app drawer swipe detection is just above the nav bar and it shouldn't interfere with the nav bar. It may take a little practice to not hit the nav buttons. Try going to the settings and testing the sensitivity to help with this. I may also include the ability to move the swipe bar so you can place it on any edge.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

howdid

May 22, 2010
Vienna
Wow such a great app I would be also happy to be a beta tester

Typed from my One X running ICJ

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Thank you all for your willingness to help me test future updates. I am currently just learning how the new beta/alpha system works on the Play Developers Console, and as soon as I'm done I'll let everyone know how to become a beta tester for my app.

Again thanks for all the support and help.

Illudrium

May 9, 2013
Quite a useful app but impossible to fully use with pie controls. If only i was using the standard navbar.

EDIT
Turns out i was mistaken. All i needed to do was change my trigger size. Sorry if i gave anybody false impressions!

Last edited:

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Thank you all for your willingness to help me test future updates. I am currently just learning how the new beta/alpha system works on the Play Developers Console, and as soon as I'm done I'll let everyone know how to become a beta tester for my app.

OK I just finished setting up the beta testing and the beta is now available to download.

To become a beta tester you need to be apart of this Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!forum/kakudo-testers

After asking to join I will have to confirm you as a member which I will try to do as quickly as I can. Once your a member of the group you will see a topic that says Beta Link in the group. Go into that and click the link to get the beta version of the app.

As a beta tester you will have full access to Kakudo and I ask that you help improve my app. To do this you will have to participate in the group letting me know how the app is working. If at anytime someone isn't giving feedback about the app updates, I will email them asking if they still want to be a tester. If I don't receive a response I will remove you from the group and you will lose access to the beta version.

Anyone interested just go to the group link and ask for permission to join the group.

Thanks in advance for everyone willing to help.

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Pretty lame guys. I'm willing to help out, test, and provide feedback/logs/etc., but only giving testers access to the lite version is kinda silly imo for two reasons: (1) the only incentive a tester has is pure altruism and early access to new lite features, as such most rational humans will opt to stick with stable lite releases (i.e. you guys get useful information, but what do we get?); and (2) without access to beta pro versions many features will be untested.

I signed up to your group under the screen name "meeeee" feel free to remove me, unless you're gunna reconsider your lite tester policy.

It is the FULL PRO VERSION, as I clearly state multiple times. The code for the 2 apps is exactly the same. There are 2 lines of code that changes between them disabling certain features in the Lite version and in the beta version I use the same code as the pro version. The only cosmetic difference is it still says Kakudo lite which I was going to change in the next beta update.

Clearly you didn't download the app or read the descriptions of the lite and pro version.

As I understand it if I did the beta testing under the pro version it would still require users to pay. This is a brand new feature to the developer console and every developer is still learning how best to use it.

If you still want to be a tester hopefully this clears up any misconception you may of had. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow afternoon I will remove you from the group as per your request.

Reactions: defiant07

geeknik

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2007
Oklahoma City
twitter.com
Pretty slick app, unfortunately I found a way to crash the app on demand, which kind of sucks. I sent logs and detailed information to the developer, hopefully helping to make this app even better. ;)

Reactions: Acela1230

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
Hope to give it a shot soon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ronniereiff

Oct 28, 2012
Pride
Great app all it needs is some customization to the task bar
enable/disable app dividers
enable/disable glossy and or gradient overlay (so it wont make things look to flat)
Transparency
Full RGB color

This could turn into its own light weight launcher with benifits of having the fetures it has now. All it needs is a very simple ipadish homescreen (the light weight part is there is no app/widget joor) and then throw in a feture to open preview windows of all apps open and launcher for easy tasking between 2 or more apps.

Just throwing out ideas this could be another project ;)

Last edited:

defiant07

Feb 26, 2013
It is the FULL PRO VERSION, as I clearly state multiple times. The code for the 2 apps is exactly the same. There are 2 lines of code that changes between them disabling certain features in the Lite version and in the beta version I use the same code as the pro version. The only cosmetic difference is it still says Kakudo lite which I was going to change in the next beta update.

Clearly you didn't download the app or read the descriptions of the lite and pro version.

As I understand it if I did the beta testing under the pro version it would still require users to pay. This is a brand new feature to the developer console and every developer is still learning how best to use it.

If you still want to be a tester hopefully this clears up any misconception you may of had. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow afternoon I will remove you from the group as per your request.

My bad, I apologize and feel like a bit of an ass. Yeah I did not even try to dl it initially, but I did read the description which is the same as the normal one for the lite version in the playstore and that would lead one to believe it is not a full version. But at any rate I did go back and try to dl the beta, but unfortunately playstore said it is not compatible with my device. Thus I cannot test it and you can remove me to make room for others. Sorry again, I won't wast any more of your time, and gl it seems like a promising app that could out perform its competition.

Last edited:

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Pretty slick app, unfortunately I found a way to crash the app on demand, which kind of sucks. I sent logs and detailed information to the developer, hopefully helping to make this app even better. ;)

Thanks for the log and image. I have already fixed the empty app from appearing (I had the code to save part of the remove on top of the code to remove). I am working on moving the settings into an activity instead of a window so hopefully that will fix that problem. The one where I think your getting it to crash on demand (Clicking the app multiple times), however is a bit trickier and has to do with the StandOut library focus listener. I can't seem to find what is causing it to crash.

Great app all it needs is some customization to the task bar
enable/disable app dividers
enable/disable glossy and or gradient overlay (so it wont make things look to flat)
Transparency
Full RGB color

This could turn into its own light weight launcher with benifits of having the fetures it has now. All it needs is a very simple ipadish homescreen (the light weight part is there is no app/widget joor) and then throw in a feture to open preview windows of all apps open and launcher for easy tasking between 2 or more apps.

Just throwing out ideas this could be another project ;)

Thanks for the ideas. There is a slight gradient on the colors that are included with the app (perhaps I should mess around with this some more to make it look better). In the Pro version you can set the fav app drawer to any color and any opacity that you want (although if you choose this there isn't a gradient).

mike253

Aug 19, 2012
Spanaway
Bought the full version, try swiping up from bottom for app drawer and it force closes the whole entire app altogether. I'll continue testing though.

Sent from my MB870 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Feature_Graphic.png

Introducing Kakudo Lite an app for faster app switching and multitasking.

WHAT IT DOES:
    Kakudo allows users to switch between apps faster by just swiping. Swiping from the left or right sides of their devices opens the most recent open apps. If you want to copy text from a website to paste in a document, Kakudo makes it easier and faster to switch back and forth between your apps. Swiping up from the bottom and adding your most used apps to the Favorite Apps Drawer allows you to open your favorite apps without having to navigate back to the homescreen to do so. Adding toggles to the Favorite Apps Drawer allows you to turn them on without having to leave the app your currently in or to just check to see if the toggle is on/off since Kakudo's toggles show whether they are on/off.

Kakudo is also ergonomically designed to make it easier to use on larger screens. It's easier for your thumb to reach down when holding your device in the middle instead of up.

FEATURES:
    - Swipe from the left or right to cycle through recent apps

- Swipe from the bottom to open your Favorite Apps Drawer

- Add your most used apps/toggles to the Favorite Apps Drawer (Limited to 7)

- Choose to start on boot

- Toggles indicate whether they are on/off

- Drag and Drop to reorder/remove apps and toggles from the Favorite Apps Drawer (Android Honeycomb and Above)

- True Swipe Detection

- Multi-Touch Mode

- Long Swipe or 2 (3 in Multi-Touch Mode) finger Swipe for All Recent Apps Window

- Kill Background Processes from the All Recent Apps Window

- Favorite Apps Drawer ergonomically design for easier use

- Minimal RAM/CPU footprint and closes fully when turned off

- Change sensitivity and size of swipe detection areas

- Adjust Icon size to best suit your preferences

-Languages Supported:
    English, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Hungarian, Chinese, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian

UPGRADE TO PRO AND UNLOCK:
    - Unlimited apps/toggles on Favorite Apps Drawer

- Favorite Apps Drawer on the Right Side

- One-Side Mode

- Change gravity location of side swipe detection areas

- Customize Favorite Apps Drawer Color and Opacity
    -Choose from 8 Color Schemes or Create your Own

- Disable Notification Icon

- Additional features to come...

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    - Apps may not launch when at the home screen, this is not a problem with Kakudo it is a bug with the Android system

- GPS toggle may not work on all devices (Use GPS Settings instead)

- A Persistent Notification is required by Android to allow Kakudo to stay open

- Killing App Background Processes removes them to free up memory and does NOT close them

- If you can help translate Kakudo to your language please go to https://applokaligo.appspot.com/app/#/projects/1775020

png.png
    tablet.png

Downloads
    Lite Version | Pro Version
    If you want to be a beta tester join this group
    **Pro Version is on Sale for the first week**​

**Thank you to all the XDA Members who helped test Kakudo
    **Thank you to all the XDA Members who translated Kakudo

5/23/13: Featured on the XDA homepage

ChangeLog:
    5/30/13:
    KAKUDO 2.0:
    -Redesigned Settings Menu
    -All Apps toggle
    -True Swipe detection (no more accidental triggers)
    -Imporved detection areas for Higher Res devices
    -Animation on Side Swipe for Android Jelly Bean

Introducing:
    -One-Side (Pro Version Only):
    Have the swipe detection area on one-side and swipe up to go one way and down to go the other
    -All Recent Apps Window
    Long Swipe or 2 (3 in multi-touch mode) finger Swipe to see All Recent Apps
    Hold down on an app to kill background processes
    -Multi-Touch
    Turn on to use 2 fingers for fast switching between apps and 3 to open All Recent Apps Window

Changes:
    -Favorite App Drawer limit raised to 7
    -Favorite Apps Drawer Pre-Filled on First Start for Better Visibility
    5/23/13:
    -Added NFC and GPS Settings buttons in toggles
    -Fixed the ClassDefNotFound error for android 2.3 devices
    -Other bug fixes

5/20/13:
    -New app icon
    -Fixed the settings issue when turning off the app drawer and then trying to change sensitivity
    -Add three new toggles (Sound, Notification Sound, and Rotate Lock)
    -Added haptic feedback for the swipes and when long clicking an icon in Favs drawer
    -Also some UI changes to better accommodate languages other than english and the add fav button on Android 3.0+
    -Other bug fixes
    when does this $0.99 sale over?

I have decided to extend the sale indefinitely for now.

Hello, I have just installed lite version, It looks very interesting, but when I open it, there's a icon on the statusbar that says "tocar para configurar" (touch to configure), but it doesn't respond. I tap on it but it doesn't work, what's the problem?
    I use a xiaomi m1-s with MIUI v5 (android 4.1.2)
    thanks!

I honestly don't know what the problem may be. Have you tried restarting the app (close it in all apps settings menu) and perhaps you may also need to restart your device. No one else seems to be having this problem, so I really don't know what is causing it.

any way to add a feature to swipe up for next app, while swipe down for prev app?

great app, support your app, $1 to your cause!

This would take an entire rewrite of the detection area, which I don't plan on doing. If this feature is requested more I may end up doing it, but for now there is no plan for this.

Hi
    I have the pro version on my Galaxy S 3. The app works really well I must say.But the vibrate option only works when I have haptic feedback ticked in my actual phone settings. This is irritating because that then means I get haptic feedback every time I hit my back or menu keys. Apps like Swipepad give you the option to enable vibrate for their app only. Could you please implement the same in this app. It'd be perfect then. Thanks for the great app and looking forward to future updates.
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

I will look into how to do this. Haptic feedback is one of the hardest things for me to implement because my test device doesn't have it.

this is an app on top of everything... so swipe is not possible, at least the way its been coded
    also, where is this haptic feedback thingy?

Swipe is possible, but I chose to just have it be a touch to provide better user experience. There was a trade off that had to be made between swipe and touch and I chose to go with touch because swipe was more likely not react when the user tried to interact with it.

Screen shot... bottom maxed out and not displaying
    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD

I know about this issue and will be increasing the max in the next update.

Thank you to all who have supported my app by downloading and giving me feedback. I am working on improving it and there will be updates to address all the different problems users may be experiencing.
    Just posted a major new update. I think everyone will find this update much more useful.

Features include:
    True Swipe Detection, so there shouldn't be anymore accidental triggers.
    Better detection areas for higher res devices
    For people who were having trouble with the app drawer being behind the nav bar, it is now pre-filled so you can see the add button.
    I completely redesigned the settings menu to be more suitable for international use as well as a better fit on all screens
    Added an all apps toggle
    Added Animations when swiping for android Jelly Bean

Added three new side swipe features:
    -Multi-Touch for those who want to use 2 fingers to switch between apps

-One Side for those who want to switch between apps using only one side
    Just swipe up to go one way and down to go the other

-All Recent Apps Window
    Long Swipe or 2 (3 in Multi-Touch) finger swipe to open a window and see All Recent Apps
    You can hold down to kill the recent app's background processes to free up memory (it doesn't remove it from recent apps though)

I think that is all the new stuff.

Thanks to everyone who has supported Kakudo
    I have just restarted the cellular and this is what happen:
    With kakudo "running" the phone restarts correctly but the icon is still at the notifications bar and keep showing *toque para configurar" but doesn't work when I tap on it.
    It's very strange because the app should be working (icon showed at the status bar) but in settings, applications the button to force stop can't be pushed.
    Thanks anyway, I think it's a very useful application and I will keep following it waiting for the solution.
    Enviado desde mi máquina de escribir.

Yea this is very odd. In the next update you will be able to get to the settings menu by clicking on the app icon on the home screen. Hopefully this will work for you. The next update should be out sometime this weekend. I am just have to run some tests on all the fixes and then it will be posted.

Initially I thought it did swipe which I thought was cool but then I couldn't find it and it was driving me crazy lol.. I think that the swipe way would seem to work easier then having to tap on the edges which is sometimes cumbersome. All in all it's a great app and look forward to more updates. I bought the app to support you

Sent from my HTCONE using xda premium

If the action was a swipe you would still have to start at the edge. It would just add a requirement that the touch move x number of pixels to initiate the action. I figured the touch was better and since it is on the edge if you have any bezel on your device you can swipe from the bezel and the action will still be initiated (that's how I do it in the video for the app). I am thinking I may add a swipe gesture to open a task manager, but this is far into the future, I just want the app performing better right now.

-------------
    Thanks to both of you for your support
    This app is awesome. For a while I used GMD Gestures but on the phone it was just nonsense and useless. This app is simple and fast, it's pretty great!

It's a shame apps like this can't do swipe between apps like on iOS (iPad) where you see the next app before releasing your finger (and abort the swipe). [I know this just can't be done on Android as far as I know and have read).

Actually with root privileges the images of the apps could be very possible. I could show some examples to the dev if he is interested

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta