Haret.exe Android Install and Boot from Windows Mobile

Search This thread
Sep 22, 2009
Update: Rather than following these steps, at this point I'd recommend just using Myn’s Latest Warm Donut build which includes all the files needed in one download: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=619980 . It seems to be the most stable out at the moment.

I've spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.
I am new at this, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.
My instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.

I should also note that I did these step specifically to get the new wired headset fix working on my phone.

I have copied from the install instructions here: sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall
and made some further corrections where I found them lacking.

#summary Installation instructions
HOW TO GET IT RUNNING
Step 0: Prep your phone

* You need to be able to run unsigned apps, as the Haret launcher is not signed.
* You need a recent radio for your device. That means 3.37.xx or better. I'd recommend either using the latest radio for your carrier, or the Bell 3.42.50 radio.
* A fast SD card will work best, try to get class 6 if possible.

Step 1: Download the files!

* Download haretinstall.zip from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-02-20/haretinstall.zip/download
* Extract haretinstall.zip to get the ANDBOOT folder. Copy ANDBOOT and all of its contents to the ROOT of your SD card. This contains the zImage (kernel), initrd.gz (initial ramdisk), and the files for haret, all in an andboot folder. They need to stay in the andboot folder.
* Rename the default.txt file to startup.txt if you want to skip a start up step by making haret.exe automatically run when clicked instead of having to then tap Run.

* Download mssmisoneclairv6.rar from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-03-16/mssmisoneclairv6.rar/download
* Extract mssmisoneclairv6.rar to get androidinstall.tar. Copy androidinstall.tar to the andboot folder.

* Download the latest zImage from here: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D
* Rename zImage-##-##-## to just zImage and put it in the andboot folder (either renaming or overwriting the old zImage file that came with haretinstall.zip)

Step 2: Start it up!

* Run Haret, and it should boot into android.
1. When prompted, hold down the center dpad button to enter the installer menu
2. You can choose where to install android if you have created ext2 partions for the sys and data parts of android on your sd card or just choose "Install System"
3. Quit and let it boot up (may take a while)

Tips

Here's a list of the keys for the Vogue. Other devices may be similar.

* Volume controls volume
* Long Press camera is home
* Press and release camera is back
* Press and release top power button is menu
* Press and hold 1 second top power button for on screen keyboard
* Press and hold 2 seconds top power button for landscape (turn off auto rotate in settings)
* Press and hold end key for shutdown menu
* For best battery life, disable background data in Settings..Data

Last edited:

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I've spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.
I am new at this, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.
My instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.

I should also note that I did these step specifically to get the new wired headset fix working on my phone.

I have copied from the install instructions here: sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall

HOW TO GET IT RUNNING

* You need to be able to run unsigned apps, as the Haret launcher is not signed.
* You need a recent radio for your device. That means 3.37.xx or better. I'd recommend either using the latest radio for your carrier, or the Bell 3.42.50 radio.

* haretinstall.zip from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-02-20/haretinstall.zip/download
* mssmisoneclairv6.rar from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-03-16/mssmisoneclairv6.rar/download
* latest zImage from here: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D
* Extract haretinstall.zip to get the ANDBOOT folder. Copy ANBOOT and all of its contents to the ROOT of your SD card. This contains the zImage (kernel), initrd.gz (initial ramdisk), and the files for haret, all in an andboot folder. They need to stay in the andboot folder.
* Extract mssmisoneclairv6.rar to get androidinstall.tar. Copy androidinstall.tar to the andboot folder.
* Rename zImage-##-##-## to just zImage and put it in the andboot folder

* *IF YOU GET FLASHING WHITE SCREENS,* you need to modify your default.txt and change the board-htcvogue.panel_type.
o Some phones use 1 as the screen type, some use 2, and some use 3.
2. If you have choices of where to install, pick the options that make the most sense. Haret users don't have an option
3. Pick Install System
4. Quit and let it boot up (may take a while)

Step 3: Get the internet working!

* When you get to the sign on screen, if you don't have a data icon up top or you can't connect, you'll need to put in your username and password for connecting to the internet.
1. Press menu, which is Power on the vogue.
2. Press APN Settings
3. choose the default entry, Android
4. For CDMA devices, just change the username and password to match your provider. On Verizon, the username is <10-digit-phone-number>@vzw3g.com and the password is vzw
5. For GSM devices, you'll need to fill in more information. Head over here for some standard options
6. Hit menu, then Save

Tips

* Volume controls volume
* Press and hold 2 seconds top power button for landscape (turn off auto rotate in settings)

great post. a few things . . .
1. on the vogue (elf is different) we have autodetection of the boar_panel_type, so you should not have this value in the default.txt - if it is there (which it should not be for the vogue) take it out, and you'll never see the flashing white screen.
2. haret users do have an option where to install; if they have created ext2 partitions on their sd card, they can install their sys and data to the regular old sd card ("sys on ext2 system.img", which will place it in the andboot folder), or on an sdcard partition if they have created one ("sys on sdcard partition" - I recommend this, take the ten minutes it takes to partition your sd card if you are running from haret).
3. as far as getting data working, for sprint people, I have never had to enter any apn info. ever. if data does not work, wait. if it still does not work, reboot. 99% of the cases this will take care of it. if rebooting does not work, and you have data working using windows mobile, then I would try entering apn stuff.

thanks again!

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks. I've added some info and taken some things out from your suggestions. I figure better to keep it simple since with most of this I don't know what I'm talking about.

So what are the advantages to installing on ext2 partitions? Does it run faster, less buggy, more battery life? Do you recommend also creating a linux swap partition like what is suggested at this post or is it not worth the extra wear on the card?

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Thanks. I've added some info and taken some things out from your suggestions. I figure better to keep it simple since with most of this I don't know what I'm talking about.

So what are the advantages to installing on ext2 partitions? Does it run faster, less buggy, more battery life? Do you recommend also creating a linux swap partition like what is suggested at this post or is it not worth the extra wear on the card?

some feel ext2 runs a little faster. the biggest advantage IMO is that the system can be mounted re-writable for changing things around - can't do that with regular SD card install. I don't think battery life is very different, other's will probably disagree with me.

I haven't used linux swap or compcache in a while, mainly because I've stayed away from anything with sense UI (i prefer speed to looks). even using plain eclair (mssmison's), it is fast enough from nand that I don't need it.

Sep 22, 2009
The system.img file gets created along with the data.img file after you install.

Rather than following the steps above, at this point I'd recommend just using Myn’s Latest Warm Donut build which includes all the files needed in one download: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=619980 . It seems to be the most stable out at the moment.

Last edited:

shawliangid

Apr 2, 2010
Wuhan
www.xiao-liang.cn
Thank you !
I made a mistake, by following your steps, android was installed on my phone.
i use Chinese, but this version can't support Chinese character SMS.
i will try to solve this problem.

In addition, i found a mistake in this forum , I do not know where to feedback, so I made here, China Telecom operating a CDMA network, it's China's third-largest mobile phone operator, but this forum said that China Telecom is a GSM operator, I hope someone can modify this mistake.
%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E7%94%B5%E4%BF%A1.jpg

Sep 22, 2009
Glad you got it working. Hopefully google won't abandon you all with SMS character support in Android as well :) At least Android is open source so it can always be hacked.

As far as the CDMA network post, I'm not sure, someone may find it here, but its best to put it as a reply quoting the message where you found the incorrect information.

gogodj

Jun 8, 2009
Bay Area
The system.img file gets created along with the data.img file after you install.
I tried to install Myn’s build couple of times using the instructions. So here is what I did -

1. used a 2 GB microSD card, formatted the whole card (all 2gb) to fat32.
2. copied the extracted andboot to the card.
3. ran Haret, saw the linux screen booting continues, chose to install system, didn't get any option for the locations, process completed with several I/O errors.
4. Quit and reboot. boot process continues but never finishes, keep giving errors.

One thing I didn't catch do I have to create ext2 partitions with FAT32 for running android ? it doesn't seem to work with single fat32 partition.

at this point I'd recommend just using Myn’s Latest Warm Donut build which includes all the files needed in one download
another thing is when you say Myn's build includes all the files. Does that really mean it's a complete package and that's the ONLY thing I would need to keep on SD card for installation ?

JM-PDA

Nov 11, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I tried to install Myn’s build couple of times....

another thing is when you say Myn's build includes all the files. Does that really mean it's a complete package and that's the ONLY thing I would need to keep on SD card for installation ?

Yes, Myn's build has everything you need.
I am running it and it is very stable.

Initially, I ran it without EXT2 partitions. It ran OK... but running with 2 EXT2 partitions was much more stable (less reboots) and much faster!

Sep 22, 2009
I tried to install Myn’s build couple of times using the instructions. So here is what I did -

1. used a 2 GB microSD card, formatted the whole card (all 2gb) to fat32.
2. copied the extracted andboot to the card.
3. ran Haret, saw the linux screen booting continues, chose to install system, didn't get any option for the locations, process completed with several I/O errors.
4. Quit and reboot. boot process continues but never finishes, keep giving errors.

Not sure what else to suggest, but did you unlock your phone first?
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5540986&postcount=5

gogodj

Jun 8, 2009
Bay Area
Not sure what else to suggest, but did you unlock your phone first?
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5540986&postcount=5
Yes, I did unlock the phone and also superCIDed (I am using radio 3.42.50 on verizon XV6900), I am much familiar with WinMO flashings but andriod is not working for me. With Myn's sd card package after installation I always get error msg saying

init: unable to open persistent prop......errorno:2

Any suggestions ?

gogodj

Jun 8, 2009
Bay Area
Yes, Myn's build has everything you need.
I am running it and it is very stable.

Initially, I ran it without EXT2 partitions. It ran OK... but running with 2 EXT2 partitions was much more stable (less reboots) and much faster!

Thanks for your response. I need help to get it to run on my vogue. I don't know why Myn's package is not working for me... I have posted the problem with bootlog - here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=636024&page=28

supradrvr

May 11, 2010
I have been working with myn's build on my 6800. So far everything is working but I cant seem to get the system to find the ringtones. I have tried it in /media/audio/ringtones on the root of sdcard. Also just a ringtones folder on the root of sdcard. I even tried to browse to the mp3 or ogg file and set it as a ringtone but this option is grayed out so it won't do it. Any suggestions on this? Thanks

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
I have been working with myn's build on my 6800. So far everything is working but I cant seem to get the system to find the ringtones. I have tried it in /media/audio/ringtones on the root of sdcard. Also just a ringtones folder on the root of sdcard. I even tried to browse to the mp3 or ogg file and set it as a ringtone but this option is grayed out so it won't do it. Any suggestions on this? Thanks

Brave soul!

hmm... this worked for me (on another build.) How are you running, ext2 partitions?

If desparate you could add to /system/media/audio/ringtones via an androidupdate.tar.

Last edited:

supradrvr

May 11, 2010
Brave soul!

hmm... this worked for me (on another build.) How are you running, ext2 partitions?

If desparate you could add to /system/media/audio/ringtones via an androidupdate.tar.

I have 1 fat32 partition 2 ext2 partitions and 1 swap at the end. When I did the install I made sure it installed to the 2 ext partitions. I will try the update method.

janpolet

Dec 17, 2009
Rijswijk
Error Please set start of ram (RAMADDR)

Hi,

I've downloaded, extracted, renamed and copied everything from the first post to my HTC HD2.
When I start HaRET, I get the following message after I tap RUN:

"Error: Please set start of ram (RAMADDR)"

Am I doing something wrong?

Can you help?

Thanks!

Jan

Last edited:

radar5

Jul 22, 2008
P-Ville
Hi,

I've downloaded, extracted, renamed and copied everything from the first post to my HTC HD2.
When I start HaRET, I get the following message after I tap RUN:

"Error: Please set start of ram (RAMADDR)"

Am I doing something wrong?

Can you help?

Thanks!

Jan

possibly that this is built for the HTC Vogue and not the HTC HD2. Try looking in their forums for more information.

tsrich

Jul 25, 2008
Haret from Android

This is probably a stupid question since I've seen no mention of it, but...

I'm running Myn's Warm Donut build now and I'd like to try some of the Froyo builds, but I don't want to lose the stable Donut build for daily use.

Is there anything comparable to Haret that runs from Android? So that I could boot to the newer builds off SD card, but leave the stable Donut build on NAND?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Rather than following these steps, at this point I'd recommend just using Myn’s Latest Warm Donut build which includes all the files needed in one download: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=619980 . It seems to be the most stable out at the moment.

HOW TO GET IT RUNNING

* Download haretinstall.zip from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-02-20/haretinstall.zip/download
    * Extract haretinstall.zip to get the ANDBOOT folder. Copy ANDBOOT and all of its contents to the ROOT of your SD card. This contains the zImage (kernel), initrd.gz (initial ramdisk), and the files for haret, all in an andboot folder. They need to stay in the andboot folder.
    * Rename the default.txt file to startup.txt if you want to skip a start up step by making haret.exe automatically run when clicked instead of having to then tap Run.

* Download mssmisoneclairv6.rar from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2010-03-16/mssmisoneclairv6.rar/download

* Download the latest zImage from here: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D
    * Rename zImage-##-##-## to just zImage and put it in the andboot folder (either renaming or overwriting the old zImage file that came with haretinstall.zip)

2. You can choose where to install android if you have created ext2 partions for the sys and data parts of android on your sd card or just choose "Install System"
    3. Quit and let it boot up (may take a while)

Tips

* Volume controls volume