[MOD] Youtube 'Gingerbread' ported to Eclair

Search This thread

rolle3k

Feb 6, 2010
dein Vater
Hiya,

due to my brother not having the luck of having Froyo on his phone I took a look at it and hacked the newst YouTube app to work with Eclair. I had to remove two calls and add android.util.base64 which was introduced with Froyo. However, it should work flawlessly. If you encounter any problems, feel free to post here along with a little description and if possible a logcat dump of the exception.

Download:
http://ul.to/emt639

Old Download:
- http://ul.to/kxu37d
- http://www.mediafire.com/?5bdc88opu6qt9nz

You have to remove the default YouTube app before you can install this one over.

Using ADB Shell this should just work:
adb remount
adb shell rm system/app/YouTube.apk
adb uninstall com.google.android.youtube

then you can just install it over using the package manager or with adb (adb install YouTube_signed.apk).

Hope this helps, enjoy the re-designed Youtube app! ;)

Last edited:

Jan 12, 2010
Just tested it, and it works on eclair.

btw, is it possible to port the froyo gmail app to eclair?

EDIT: after further testing, it force closes. the process used to get to a force close was i logged in to my youtube account, exited the app, opened skyfire (it forced closed, perhaps of youtube. however i am not sure), reopened the youtube app but it forced close. i reverted back to the older youtube (stock) and repeated the process above, and no force closes in skyfire or youtube

Last edited:

sempi601

Jul 4, 2010
Eger
It worked for me at the first start, but then it gives me force closes every time I try to start it. I restarted my phone, tried to reinstall the app, but nothing helped. Anybody has the same problem?

I can only use the app again if I go to Settings/Applications and delete cache and data from YouTube. Is there any way to avoid deleting these all the time? FC mainly occurs after I login to my account. Thanks

Last edited:

sempi601

Jul 4, 2010
Eger
Updated it

Changed a API call that would require Froyo. Should work better now.

Thank you rolle3k for your work. I just tried the fixed version, but it still gives force closes when I am logged onto my account. The problem might be around logging in to an account, because when I'm not logged on, it works.

Jed2191

Jun 13, 2010
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Not sure if this is just me but it doesn't open now, I just get an instant FC no matter how or where I open the app from. Any ideas?

Yep, it seems logging into your account breaks it.

Last edited:

idanfima

May 18, 2010
Kefar Shmuel
Installed it on HTC Gratia Froyo port, works great :)
I just got into the setting, applications, manage applications, found it and uninstalled it, then installed the new one, and it works great...

ayk33

Oct 16, 2008
:(

hello all,

i removed youtube and tried to install this but it gives error as "application not installed". by the way i'm using cronos froyo 1.4.2. any idea?

crilin80

Jun 9, 2009
Hi, I have a problem with that app.

Yesterday I've installed it and worked fine until evening.
Now I got an error everytime I try to open it... I try to restart the device (many times), but nothing's happened.

My Hero got "Tegro 2.1 (Slide Espresso port) [ROM]", any suggestion? :confused:

Edit:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the apk: now it works! I don't know why but it works!

Last edited:

sempi601

Jul 4, 2010
Eger
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check that out.

Hello rolle3k! Have you found anything that is causing the Force Close? It is definitely doing this when logged in.
Since then I am using YouTube without logging in and it works great so far. :) However, it would be great to have the ability to log in without deleting data/cache every time I want to use YouTube.
Could you help us? :) With that option this app would be awesome. Thanks

Last edited: