[REF] |READ THIS B4 POSTING | THE MOST Common Questions Answered HERE |

Search This thread

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
THOUGHT WE NEEDED ONE, SEEING SAME QUESTIONS REPEATEDLY ASKED

THIS POST IS FOR THE SAMSUNG GALAXY SKYROCKET SG2 LTE: MODEL# "SGH-I727" FOR ATT & "SGH-I727R" FOR ROGERS.

Newbs B4 You Flash Or Are Having A Problem:
Read!!
Now Read Some More!!
Read The Stickies!!! What Are Stickies? Read THIS POST
Search!!! HOWTO HERE or HERE
We Can Tell By Your Question That You Havent Done Any Of The Above And You Might/Will Get Flamed.
WE DO LIKE TO HELP BUT PLEASE DO ABOVE FIRST
Once You Know What You Are Doing And Are Stumped At A Certain Problem, Post In The Q&a Forum.

ALMOST EVERYTHING FOR AND ABOUT THE SKYOCKET IS IN THE 1STOP STICKYhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1785999
CONTENTS: 1ST TIME HERE? NEWB? THEN JUST READ EVERYTHING !! IF NOT WILLING THEN JUST BUY AN IPHONE :eek:
  • SIM UNLOCK
  • CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOT
  • FLASHING STOCK/CUSTOM FIRMWARE & TROUBLESHOOTING
  • HW TS & GENERAL
SIM UNLOCK

1a Q. is there a free method to unlock(sim unlock) my phone to use it on another carrier
A. yes, W/step By Step Procedure W/Pics For Newbs Read THIS
procedure was taken from this thread HERE

1b) Q. will I lose my unlock if flashing a rom, kernel, radio, restoring to stock, etc.
A. NO. But It Can Be Reverted If Need Be, Read THIS.

1c) Q. will the skyrocket work for "insert carrier here"
A. Depends on radio/modem you are on and the frequency and apn's(for data & mms) you need for your carrier. For compatible radios goto the the radio section in the 1STOP STICKY

1d) Q. how do i flash a new radio aka modem aka baseband
A. READ the radio section in the 1STOP STICKY

1e) Q. i have a paid unlock code or received one from ATT, how do i use it
A. must be on stock firmware b4 entering code, READ [HOWTO] ENTER SiM UNLOCK CODE
NOTE: ATT seems to be giving out fubar codes, codes entered will do squat, if so use the free sim unlock method from Q.1a above.

CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOT

2a) Q. i want to root my stock phone
A. you need to install a "custom" recovery first with ODIN, its easy, takes a few seconds(once you're setup) and any1 can do it - then you can flash the root files, complete newb guide HERE, .

2b) q. why do i need to root my skyrocket
A. its only needed if you are on stock firmware and need to remove bloatwware and/or modify system files, not needed to flash custom recoveries or roms

3a) Q. do i have to root to flash custom roms
A. no you just need to install twrp or cwm howto HERE.

3b) Q. i always thought we had to root android phones b4 we can flash roms.
A. not with the skyrocket

4) Q. what custom recoveries are available for the skyrocket
A. TWRP or CWM, if flashing custom roms read which recovery to use from dev of rom, links to the recoveries are in the recovery section in the 1STOP STICKY.
howto install cwm/twrp on stock phones is HERE.

5) Q. if i installed TWRP recovery can i flash CWM.
A. yes, once you have a custom recovery installed you can switch between twrp and cwm as often as you like just by using the flashable zip files with the custom recoveries(twrp cwm). but the backups(nandroids) created by the recoveries need to be restored by the recovery they were created by.
zip files located in the 1STOP STICKY in the recovery section

6) Q. what do i need to flash custom roms
A. omg, read Q #2 & #3

7) Q. should i use rom manager to install cwm
A. no, dont use rom managers features that have anything todo with the recovery, such as updating cwm or making/restoring a backup

8) Q. how do i get into recovery mode
A. READ THIS

9) Q. how do i get into download mode aka odin mode
a. READ THIS

11) Q. i have stock firmware/stock recovery can i install twrp using goo manager
A. NO, to use goo you must be rooted, but to root you first need to install a custom recovery through odin then install the root files w/the custom recovery(read Q. 2), once rooted then you can use goo to install any twrp updates.
BE SURE YOU CHOOSE "SKYROCKET" IN THE GOO APP OR YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.
IMO STAY AWAY FROM GOO AND JUST FLASH THE NEW TWRP UPDATES THROUGH YOUR CURRENT CUSTOM RECOVERY.

12) Q. do i have to use goo manager to install twrp
A. no, read previous answers on installing custom recoveries

13) Q. what a custom recovery will and wont do
A. READ THIS

14) Q. is the bootloader locked
A. NO... theres nothing special you need todo to get custom recoveries, roms or root files flashed onto the skyrocket.

15) Q. are the kernel and recovery combined like it is on the s2 i1900
A. no not for the skyrocket sgh-i727(r), kernel and recovery are 2 completely independent files/partitions, none of the roms include the recovery

FLASHING STOCK/CUSTOM FIRMWARE TS
NOTE: READ DEV'S INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS/REQUIREMENTS TO THE "T"
ROMS EQUAL TO/OR GREATER THAN CM 10.2 MUST USE JELLYBEAN (JB) 4.1.2 RADIOS.

17) Q. i tried to update my phone to official firmware with kies and or the ota update but the update failed, my phone has a custom recovery.
A. if using kies and/or ota to update you need to be on stock firmware and stock recovery before you can you can update the phone to official stock firmware, read Q. 18. howto restore to stock w/odin is HERE

18a) Q. I successfully updated stock firmware, but upon reboot i get bootloops or "insert problem here"
A. Perform a factory reset and clear caches in the stock recovery and/or read/do Q.25 b4 flashing stock, note: this will wipe any previously installed apps and data(sdcards are not touched) and will make it true stock firmware as when new.

18b) Q. I tried using kies to update my phone that has stock firmware/recovery but it failed
A. use the odin method to install/update stock firmware or kies alternate method

18c) Q. I used odin to update my firmware but it failed/received errors
A. goto RESTORING STOCK W/ODIN STICKY and read the odin troubleshooting section.

19) Q. i have the canadian version called galaxy s2 LTE model #sgh-i727r, can i flash roms from this skyrocket forum
A. yes, they are the exact same phones hardware and all, the sgh-i727(the att version) and sgh-i727r(rogers version) are synomous, no extra steps are needed, anything posted here in this forum whatever it maybe, custom roms, stock firmwares, kernels, radios, recoveries, themes, root, etc are compatible with the sgh-i727r.
The only minor difference is in their names, skyrocket(att) <> s2 lte(rogers), the "r" at the end of the model #, and the button combo in getting it into download(odin) mode which are stated in the howto stickies.

20) Q. i have the s2 i1900(x) or s2 "put version here", can i root or flash with the s2 skyrocket files/roms
A. no, it will brick your phone

21) Q. i have an s2 skyrocket variant that is not sgh-i727 or sgh-i727r(look under battery for phone model) can i flash roms from this skyrocket forum
A. only if its the T989 hercules, but it needs the rotation fix, for other skyrocket variants we dont know, but if you want to try make sure you have a warranty as you will more than likely hardbrick your phone - you have been warned. Hard Brick Repair - Mobiletechvideos

22) Q. I have a skyocket, can i flash a rom from another forum thats for another phone
A. no, usually no, ask in that forum, the only one i know is the t989 hercules, our sister phone from t-mobile, but rotation fix is needed

22a) Q. I have a skyocket, under battery its states sgh-i727(r) (with or w/out "r" it doesnt matter). when i try to flash a sgh-i727 skyrocket rom i receiver some error message that my phone isnt a sgh-i727 skyrocket .
A. your previous rom, the one you're on now, is not using the proper model number naming and the new rom is looking at that and stating it will not flash itself on to the phone.
Easy fix if you truly have a sgh-i727. But for a newb though it would just be simpler to flash stock jellybean w/odin then flash twrp or cwm recovery w/odin then flash whatever new rom you like.
veterans can edit the build.prop:
"ro.product.device=SGH-I727" and/or "ro.build.product=SGH-I727"
option: edit the "updater-script" in the new rom and remove the "assert" command line asking for model name, usually first line or two.
warning: editing the buid.prop or updater-script is for experienced users, wrongfully editing those can have undesirable effects, brick?

22b) Q. I DON'T have a skyocket, can i flash a skyrocket rom
A. no, read previous questions but its your phone so do as you wish.

23a) Q. I installed cyanogenmod(cm) and i lost my LTE signal, i only get the 4G icon appearing
A. on cm and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc, the 4G icon is the LTE signal, 4G=LTE on cm

23b) Q. I installed cyanogenmod(cm) 10.2 and it boots and/or reboots to a black screen
A. on cm10.2 jb4.3 & up and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc, you need to be on the recommended recoveries posted by dev of rom, for flashable recoveries goto the recovery section in the 1STOP STICKY.
If using proper recoveries and still have boot/reboot issues read Q. 24, 25 & 26

24) Q. Im having data and/or cell connectivity issues when I flashed cm10.1
A. read the cm10.1 thread HERE, you must use a JELLYBEAN RADIO, links in the 1STOP STICKY.
note: all cm versions after cm10.1 and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc. only work with a jellybean(jb) radio

25a) Q. i tried "name of custom rom here" but a feature of the phone doesnt work , eg. camera or "insert problem here"
A. READ DEV'S INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE "T" AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING DEV'S RECOMMENDED RECOVERY.
check md5 sum of file you are trying to flash/install, HOWTO HERE.
Read the thread for the rom to see if the dev/users state any issues.
start from the beginning w/full wipe(read q.26), return to stock(preferably latest) and check if function/feature works on stock, if yes then retry flashing rom.
if followed dev's install instructions to the "t" and if no one is having an issue on the rom then its usually user error, what error? user error!.
provide a concise description to the problem> which recovery u are using, your steps in installing rom and not useless info and or essay.
provide a logcat - howto HERE and copy it to PASTEBIN not in the rom thread.
keep reading this post.

25b) Q. flashing custom roms, kernels, mods etc. failed within twrp/cwm for "put whatever error messages and/or reason here"
A. DO EACH OF THE STEPS BELOW UNTIL IT IS RESOLVED
was the flashable zip file from xda skyrocket forum, no? cant help you here. yes? read the thread from where you got the file from and/or continue steps below.
make sure you are using the recovery the dev is using or use latest recovery, read answer #5.
make sure windows is not mounting sdcards: unplug usb cable from phone.
restart recovery.
make sure the sdcard is mounted in recovery.
copy the file to both internal and external sdcards and try to flash from either sdcard
reflash recovery with odin(use tar file) or with the recovery itself(use the zip file), links in the 1STOP STICKY in the recovery section.
copy all of your contents from both sdcards(int & ext) to your computer, scan and fix sdcards and/or format(fat32), this will wipe your sdcards, copy the file you had tried to flash to the sdcard(s), CHECK THE MD5 and retry the flash.

25c) My phones not behaving normally, bootloops, i installed some app and now my phone is not behaving normally, etc.
A. Either uninstall the app or if you don't know which app is messing up your phone go to recovery and wipe both caches
still a no go then perform a "factory reset"(wipe data), this will make your phone as when you first installed the firmware and/or custom rom
still a no go did you check md5 b4 flashing while it was on sdcard, howto HOWTO HERE"]HERE[/URL]
still a no go then restore a known good backup
if dev of rom states not to perform a "factory reset" then you must do a full wipe(q.26) and reinstall the rom.
still a no go then keep reading

25d) My phones not behaving normally and I tried methods above still not resolved.
Ok try this:
remove sim(eliminates sim card issues)
remove external sdcard
backup internal sdcard then format(fat32) it
then perform a full wipe: read q.26
copy ucmc1 radio onto sdcard and flash it twice w/out cable plugged in
then use odin to flash jb stock firmware x2.
if still having issues after doing this then its some kind of hw failure, what hw failure idk, could be most likely emmc (memory) failure

26) Q. dev says to do a full wipe before flashing his rom, huh.
A. in recovery perform these steps, do each of these actions twice - WIPE=FORMAT:
TWRP 2.6.3.0 Full Wipe = wipe>advanced wipe>"dalvik cache" "data" "system" "cache" "android secure" "preload".
FYI wiping "data" is known as a "factory reset", it wipes apps(usually from play) that is installed in the data partition and is not considered a full wipe.
wiping system removes kernel/rom but not data or caches.

27) Q. why when i flashed a rom it wont fully boot up or "other issues insert here" but no one else seems to be having any problems
A. read answers #25 and #26

28) Q. which rom is the "BEST" rom or any adjective thereof for a rom
A. do not ask as it will be locked by the mod, read about them in the dev forum and decide on your own

HW TS & GENERAL

29a) Q. wont wiping my phone through recovery erase my sdcard(s)
A. only if you choose to wipe the sdcards from the recovery menu, but not if you follow the above procedure in Q.26, but back them up to your computer just in case you accidently wipe them

29b) Q. if I use odin to restore stock firmware or use it to install cwm/twrp will that erase my sdcard(s)
A. no, but back them up to your computer just in case

30) Q. my phone only vibrates, is it hard bricked
A. no, if it has any signs of life its not hardbricked, if you can get it into download mode install a stock firmware, howto HERE , if it is not dead and you cant get it into download mode it might be a sticky power button, read Q. #31 #32 and #33

31) Q. will a usb jig unbrick my skyrocket
A. no, if it was due to flashing then only jtag repair might/should fix a hardbricked phone, look HERE in the info section for a company.
if you cant get phone into download mode a usb jig might help in getting into download mode.
if its hw failure then replacement of hw, usually motherboard but who knows for sure.
no signs of life=no vibrations and blank screen when hitting power button, plugging cable or when trying to enter dl mode
hardbricked=no signs of life=by a bad flash or hw failure.
softbrick=bootloops and/or you have vibration when hitting power button, plugging cable or when trying to enter dl mode.
if you can get it into recovery or dl mode you should be able to flash a stock/custom rom to get it back to working condition.
if you can't get it into recovery or dl mode, read next question if you cant, and you tried multiple times and failed then jtag might help

31a) Q. how would i know my phone is hard bricked or dead
A. Read above.
try this. remove battery and leave it out, plug phone into pc or charger, in doing so phone should vibrate repeatedly(this assumes your vibrator was/is working), if it does not vibrate then its dead, how or why idk, jtag repair "might" fix it if you flashed a incompatible rom, if its hw failure you would need to replace the bad hw which is usually mobo but dont quote me on that.

32) Q. why does my phone not start and just bootloops and/or vibrates every couple of seconds
A. could be a "sticky power button", read the next question and the info section in the 1STOP STICKY

33) Q. how do i test for a stuck "sticky" power button
A. NOTE: Could Be A Random Sticky Power Button As It Wont Be Stuck All The Time So Test Might Be Inconclusive.
TEST: NO CABLE PLUGGED IN: Remove then reinsert the battery and if the phone turns on by itself and then takes approx 10 sec's to turn off and then starts vibrating every couple of seconds then its for sure a power button problem, its stuck, goto the link in the next answer for a possible fix.
The key thing you need to establish is if reinserting the battery restarts the phone w/out u touching the power button, if so then the button is stuck

34) Q. how do I clean and or replace the power button
A. If you have determined that's its a stuck power button read post #16 PROCEDURE ON CLEANING/REPLACING POWER BUTTON, on that thread there are pictures b4 that post

34a) Q. is there an app that will turn off/on the screen that would function like the power button
A. TAPTAP

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
q. dev says to do a full wipe before flashing his rom, huh.
a. in recovery perform these steps:
DO EACH OF THESE ACTIONS TWICE: >
  • WIPE "CACHE" PARTITION
  • WIPE "DALVIK CACHE" PARTITION
  • WIPE "SYSTEM" PARTITION
  • PERFORM A "FACTORY RESET"
LOL

fail

There is ZERO benefit to formatting a filesystem twice in a row.

There is, similarly, ZERO benefit to wiping cache/dalvik, as these will both be wiped when you do a factory reset.

hechoen

May 7, 2011
LOL

fail

There is, similarly, ZERO benefit to wiping cache/dalvik, as these will both be wiped when you do a factory reset.

Finally someone who people should respect says it. lol

Format system
Format data
Format cache
Flash

cojomojo

Jul 5, 2012
I've got an issue where I get no call audio after flashing cm10.1. I've read that it Is a kernel issue. However I cant find a kernel to fix the prob. (Never flashed a kernel so I'm in new territory) should I use one if these modded kernels i can find in the dev forum? Or is there an older version of the kernel used for 10.1 that will fix the issue somewhere? (I Prefer this option)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Just realized I prob should've posted somewhere else with this. On mobile and have no time and wasnt paying attention. Sorry about that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

frankenish

Oct 22, 2013
Sticky power button test (#33) shows I potentially don't have a sticky power button (it only starts on its own when plugged in), but I am not sure what the problem is now!! I have posted on this (see link) but no takers thus far. any ideas? has someone had the same problem? I don't really want to start dismantling without a more educated guess at the problem.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493751

boobah204

Apr 3, 2012
Atlanta
Sticky power button test (#33) shows I potentially don't have a sticky power button (it only starts on its own when plugged in), but I am not sure what the problem is now!! I have posted on this (see link) but no takers thus far. any ideas? has someone had the same problem? I don't really want to start dismantling without a more educated guess at the problem.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493751

I had a "sometimes sticky" power button. (Had the symptoms but failed the test). It would happen more often when the phone was warm. I could guess that's due to the expansion of metal from heat, but I'm no physicist. Still, it is a logical assumption that when your phone is plugged in, it will be warmer since there is a constant inflow of energy.

Just take the thing apart and clean it. It's not that difficult, and if you're as nervous about breaking something as you seem to be, then you'll be careful enough not to break anything.

sent from my part of the problem

markbnj

dumb non-noob question on skyrocket

OK. I have the latest official Kies SW download, and an still a AT&T customer in good standing.

Here's my questions (and I think, but want to confirm before I play) the answers are what I think:

I) If I install CW or a new ROM will it affect my CONTRACT with AT&T? IE, void my grandfathered data plan?
2) same question on unlocking... (I am contemplating finally upgrading to a G 4, (or G5?) and giving this to my wife
to use on Tmobile or one of their virtual carriers.). if I unlock now does this also do anything to my plan?

3) I am presuming that the answer to 1 and 2 are BOTH "no effect to carrier."

I am also presuming that my getting a new phone will not affect my grandfathered plan
care to comment/condemn or agree?

dfw_hoser

Apr 23, 2012
Dallas
OK. I have the latest official Kies SW download, and an still a AT&T customer in good standing.

Here's my questions (and I think, but want to confirm before I play) the answers are what I think:

I) If I install CW or a new ROM will it affect my CONTRACT with AT&T? IE, void my grandfathered data plan?
2) same question on unlocking... (I am contemplating finally upgrading to a G 4, (or G5?) and giving this to my wife
to use on Tmobile or one of their virtual carriers.). if I unlock now does this also do anything to my plan?

3) I am presuming that the answer to 1 and 2 are BOTH "no effect to carrier."

I am also presuming that my getting a new phone will not affect my grandfathered plan
care to comment/condemn or agree?

-------------------------

I'm also on AT&T and I rooted my phone almost two years ago. I've had many different ROMs and have had no problems at all. It hasn't affected AT&T or my contract. From my experience, you'll be just fine.

Of course, if you give the S2 to your wife and change carriers, you'll need a new SIM card for that carrier.

S

Sky2674

WIFI Problem 4.4.2

I'm sorry, this is probably bad etiquette but I didn't have an account and this is the only way it would let me post. I've recently installed the unofficial 4.4 rom by @Sultanxda and then the PA Rom by @bryan2894. Both installed fine and worked great at first, however after a couple hours the Wifi has stopped working. I first assumed it was the ROM, which is the reason I switched ROM's. Before installing PA by @bryan2894 I completely wiped and formatted EVERYthing, including the sd card to make sure I didn't have something lingering out there after all the flashing. I sideloaded this last ROM via adb to ensure that it was indeed a "clean" install. Same thing, works fine at first and then stops connecting. Now it just keeps scanning but never finds any networks...is this hardware related?? Thanks guys in advance for any direction you can point me in.

Edit: I should note that everything else is working fine thus far (aside from Google Camera settings crash in unofficial cm 11.0). Great job guys!!

Edit #2: I'M REALLY SORRY FOR BOTHERING YOU! I found in an old thread that enabling wireless display is what caused the issue, it's fixed, sorry again for trying to go around the forum rules before searching more thoroughly...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THOUGHT WE NEEDED ONE, SEEING SAME QUESTIONS REPEATEDLY ASKED

THIS POST IS FOR THE SAMSUNG GALAXY SKYROCKET SG2 LTE: MODEL# "SGH-I727" FOR ATT & "SGH-I727R" FOR ROGERS.

Newbs B4 You Flash Or Are Having A Problem:
    Read!!
    Now Read Some More!!
    Read The Stickies!!! What Are Stickies? Read THIS POST
    Search!!! HOWTO HERE or HERE
    We Can Tell By Your Question That You Havent Done Any Of The Above And You Might/Will Get Flamed.
    WE DO LIKE TO HELP BUT PLEASE DO ABOVE FIRST
    Once You Know What You Are Doing And Are Stumped At A Certain Problem, Post In The Q&a Forum.

ALMOST EVERYTHING FOR AND ABOUT THE SKYOCKET IS IN THE 1STOP STICKYhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1785999
    CONTENTS: 1ST TIME HERE? NEWB? THEN JUST READ EVERYTHING !! IF NOT WILLING THEN JUST BUY AN IPHONE :eek:
    • SIM UNLOCK
    • CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOT
    • FLASHING STOCK/CUSTOM FIRMWARE & TROUBLESHOOTING
    • HW TS & GENERAL
    SIM UNLOCK

1a Q. is there a free method to unlock(sim unlock) my phone to use it on another carrier
    A. yes, W/step By Step Procedure W/Pics For Newbs Read THIS
    procedure was taken from this thread HERE

1b) Q. will I lose my unlock if flashing a rom, kernel, radio, restoring to stock, etc.
    A. NO. But It Can Be Reverted If Need Be, Read THIS.

1c) Q. will the skyrocket work for "insert carrier here"
    A. Depends on radio/modem you are on and the frequency and apn's(for data & mms) you need for your carrier. For compatible radios goto the the radio section in the 1STOP STICKY

1d) Q. how do i flash a new radio aka modem aka baseband
    A. READ the radio section in the 1STOP STICKY

1e) Q. i have a paid unlock code or received one from ATT, how do i use it
    A. must be on stock firmware b4 entering code, READ [HOWTO] ENTER SiM UNLOCK CODE
    NOTE: ATT seems to be giving out fubar codes, codes entered will do squat, if so use the free sim unlock method from Q.1a above.

CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOT

2a) Q. i want to root my stock phone
    A. you need to install a "custom" recovery first with ODIN, its easy, takes a few seconds(once you're setup) and any1 can do it - then you can flash the root files, complete newb guide HERE, .

2b) q. why do i need to root my skyrocket
    A. its only needed if you are on stock firmware and need to remove bloatwware and/or modify system files, not needed to flash custom recoveries or roms

3a) Q. do i have to root to flash custom roms
    A. no you just need to install twrp or cwm howto HERE.

3b) Q. i always thought we had to root android phones b4 we can flash roms.
    A. not with the skyrocket

4) Q. what custom recoveries are available for the skyrocket
    A. TWRP or CWM, if flashing custom roms read which recovery to use from dev of rom, links to the recoveries are in the recovery section in the 1STOP STICKY.
    howto install cwm/twrp on stock phones is HERE.

5) Q. if i installed TWRP recovery can i flash CWM.
    A. yes, once you have a custom recovery installed you can switch between twrp and cwm as often as you like just by using the flashable zip files with the custom recoveries(twrp cwm). but the backups(nandroids) created by the recoveries need to be restored by the recovery they were created by.
    zip files located in the 1STOP STICKY in the recovery section

6) Q. what do i need to flash custom roms
    A. omg, read Q #2 & #3

7) Q. should i use rom manager to install cwm
    A. no, dont use rom managers features that have anything todo with the recovery, such as updating cwm or making/restoring a backup

8) Q. how do i get into recovery mode
    A. READ THIS

9) Q. how do i get into download mode aka odin mode
    a. READ THIS

11) Q. i have stock firmware/stock recovery can i install twrp using goo manager
    A. NO, to use goo you must be rooted, but to root you first need to install a custom recovery through odin then install the root files w/the custom recovery(read Q. 2), once rooted then you can use goo to install any twrp updates.
    BE SURE YOU CHOOSE "SKYROCKET" IN THE GOO APP OR YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.
    IMO STAY AWAY FROM GOO AND JUST FLASH THE NEW TWRP UPDATES THROUGH YOUR CURRENT CUSTOM RECOVERY.

12) Q. do i have to use goo manager to install twrp
    A. no, read previous answers on installing custom recoveries

13) Q. what a custom recovery will and wont do
    A. READ THIS

14) Q. is the bootloader locked
    A. NO... theres nothing special you need todo to get custom recoveries, roms or root files flashed onto the skyrocket.

15) Q. are the kernel and recovery combined like it is on the s2 i1900
    A. no not for the skyrocket sgh-i727(r), kernel and recovery are 2 completely independent files/partitions, none of the roms include the recovery

FLASHING STOCK/CUSTOM FIRMWARE TS
    NOTE: READ DEV'S INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS/REQUIREMENTS TO THE "T"
    ROMS EQUAL TO/OR GREATER THAN CM 10.2 MUST USE JELLYBEAN (JB) 4.1.2 RADIOS.

17) Q. i tried to update my phone to official firmware with kies and or the ota update but the update failed, my phone has a custom recovery.
    A. if using kies and/or ota to update you need to be on stock firmware and stock recovery before you can you can update the phone to official stock firmware, read Q. 18. howto restore to stock w/odin is HERE

18a) Q. I successfully updated stock firmware, but upon reboot i get bootloops or "insert problem here"
    A. Perform a factory reset and clear caches in the stock recovery and/or read/do Q.25 b4 flashing stock, note: this will wipe any previously installed apps and data(sdcards are not touched) and will make it true stock firmware as when new.

18b) Q. I tried using kies to update my phone that has stock firmware/recovery but it failed
    A. use the odin method to install/update stock firmware or kies alternate method

18c) Q. I used odin to update my firmware but it failed/received errors
    A. goto RESTORING STOCK W/ODIN STICKY and read the odin troubleshooting section.

19) Q. i have the canadian version called galaxy s2 LTE model #sgh-i727r, can i flash roms from this skyrocket forum
    A. yes, they are the exact same phones hardware and all, the sgh-i727(the att version) and sgh-i727r(rogers version) are synomous, no extra steps are needed, anything posted here in this forum whatever it maybe, custom roms, stock firmwares, kernels, radios, recoveries, themes, root, etc are compatible with the sgh-i727r.
    The only minor difference is in their names, skyrocket(att) <> s2 lte(rogers), the "r" at the end of the model #, and the button combo in getting it into download(odin) mode which are stated in the howto stickies.

20) Q. i have the s2 i1900(x) or s2 "put version here", can i root or flash with the s2 skyrocket files/roms
    A. no, it will brick your phone

21) Q. i have an s2 skyrocket variant that is not sgh-i727 or sgh-i727r(look under battery for phone model) can i flash roms from this skyrocket forum
    A. only if its the T989 hercules, but it needs the rotation fix, for other skyrocket variants we dont know, but if you want to try make sure you have a warranty as you will more than likely hardbrick your phone - you have been warned. Hard Brick Repair - Mobiletechvideos

22) Q. I have a skyocket, can i flash a rom from another forum thats for another phone
    A. no, usually no, ask in that forum, the only one i know is the t989 hercules, our sister phone from t-mobile, but rotation fix is needed

22a) Q. I have a skyocket, under battery its states sgh-i727(r) (with or w/out "r" it doesnt matter). when i try to flash a sgh-i727 skyrocket rom i receiver some error message that my phone isnt a sgh-i727 skyrocket .
    A. your previous rom, the one you're on now, is not using the proper model number naming and the new rom is looking at that and stating it will not flash itself on to the phone.
    Easy fix if you truly have a sgh-i727. But for a newb though it would just be simpler to flash stock jellybean w/odin then flash twrp or cwm recovery w/odin then flash whatever new rom you like.
    veterans can edit the build.prop:
    "ro.product.device=SGH-I727" and/or "ro.build.product=SGH-I727"
    option: edit the "updater-script" in the new rom and remove the "assert" command line asking for model name, usually first line or two.
    warning: editing the buid.prop or updater-script is for experienced users, wrongfully editing those can have undesirable effects, brick?

22b) Q. I DON'T have a skyocket, can i flash a skyrocket rom
    A. no, read previous questions but its your phone so do as you wish.

23a) Q. I installed cyanogenmod(cm) and i lost my LTE signal, i only get the 4G icon appearing
    A. on cm and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc, the 4G icon is the LTE signal, 4G=LTE on cm

23b) Q. I installed cyanogenmod(cm) 10.2 and it boots and/or reboots to a black screen
    A. on cm10.2 jb4.3 & up and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc, you need to be on the recommended recoveries posted by dev of rom, for flashable recoveries goto the recovery section in the 1STOP STICKY.
    If using proper recoveries and still have boot/reboot issues read Q. 24, 25 & 26

24) Q. Im having data and/or cell connectivity issues when I flashed cm10.1
    A. read the cm10.1 thread HERE, you must use a JELLYBEAN RADIO, links in the 1STOP STICKY.
    note: all cm versions after cm10.1 and its derivatives, aokp, aocp, paranoid, etc. only work with a jellybean(jb) radio

25a) Q. i tried "name of custom rom here" but a feature of the phone doesnt work , eg. camera or "insert problem here"
    A. READ DEV'S INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE "T" AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING DEV'S RECOMMENDED RECOVERY.
    Read the thread for the rom to see if the dev/users state any issues.
    start from the beginning w/full wipe(read q.26), return to stock(preferably latest) and check if function/feature works on stock, if yes then retry flashing rom.
    if followed dev's install instructions to the "t" and if no one is having an issue on the rom then its usually user error, what error? user error!.
    provide a concise description to the problem> which recovery u are using, your steps in installing rom and not useless info and or essay.
    provide a logcat - howto HERE and copy it to PASTEBIN not in the rom thread.
    keep reading this post.

25b) Q. flashing custom roms, kernels, mods etc. failed within twrp/cwm for "put whatever error messages and/or reason here"
    A. DO EACH OF THE STEPS BELOW UNTIL IT IS RESOLVED
    was the flashable zip file from xda skyrocket forum, no? cant help you here. yes? read the thread from where you got the file from and/or continue steps below.
    make sure you are using the recovery the dev is using or use latest recovery, read answer #5.
    make sure windows is not mounting sdcards: unplug usb cable from phone.
    restart recovery.
    make sure the sdcard is mounted in recovery.
    copy the file to both internal and external sdcards and try to flash from either sdcard
    reflash recovery with odin(use tar file) or with the recovery itself(use the zip file), links in the 1STOP STICKY in the recovery section.
    copy all of your contents from both sdcards(int & ext) to your computer, scan and fix sdcards and/or format(fat32), this will wipe your sdcards, copy the file you had tried to flash to the sdcard(s), CHECK THE MD5 and retry the flash.

25c) My phones not behaving normally, bootloops, i installed some app and now my phone is not behaving normally, etc.
    A. Either uninstall the app or if you don't know which app is messing up your phone go to recovery and wipe both caches
    still a no go then perform a "factory reset"(wipe data), this will make your phone as when you first installed the firmware and/or custom rom
    still a no go did you check md5 b4 flashing while it was on sdcard, howto HOWTO HERE"]HERE[/URL]
    still a no go then restore a known good backup
    if dev of rom states not to perform a "factory reset" then you must do a full wipe(q.26) and reinstall the rom.
    still a no go then keep reading

25d) My phones not behaving normally and I tried methods above still not resolved.
    Ok try this:
    remove sim(eliminates sim card issues)
    remove external sdcard
    backup internal sdcard then format(fat32) it
    then perform a full wipe: read q.26
    copy ucmc1 radio onto sdcard and flash it twice w/out cable plugged in
    then use odin to flash jb stock firmware x2.
    if still having issues after doing this then its some kind of hw failure, what hw failure idk, could be most likely emmc (memory) failure

26) Q. dev says to do a full wipe before flashing his rom, huh.
    A. in recovery perform these steps, do each of these actions twice - WIPE=FORMAT:
    TWRP 2.6.3.0 Full Wipe = wipe>advanced wipe>"dalvik cache" "data" "system" "cache" "android secure" "preload".
    FYI wiping "data" is known as a "factory reset", it wipes apps(usually from play) that is installed in the data partition and is not considered a full wipe.
    wiping system removes kernel/rom but not data or caches.

27) Q. why when i flashed a rom it wont fully boot up or "other issues insert here" but no one else seems to be having any problems
    A. read answers #25 and #26

28) Q. which rom is the "BEST" rom or any adjective thereof for a rom
    A. do not ask as it will be locked by the mod, read about them in the dev forum and decide on your own

HW TS & GENERAL

29a) Q. wont wiping my phone through recovery erase my sdcard(s)
    A. only if you choose to wipe the sdcards from the recovery menu, but not if you follow the above procedure in Q.26, but back them up to your computer just in case you accidently wipe them

29b) Q. if I use odin to restore stock firmware or use it to install cwm/twrp will that erase my sdcard(s)
    A. no, but back them up to your computer just in case

30) Q. my phone only vibrates, is it hard bricked
    A. no, if it has any signs of life its not hardbricked, if you can get it into download mode install a stock firmware, howto HERE , if it is not dead and you cant get it into download mode it might be a sticky power button, read Q. #31 #32 and #33

31) Q. will a usb jig unbrick my skyrocket
    A. no, if it was due to flashing then only jtag repair might/should fix a hardbricked phone, look HERE in the info section for a company.
    if you cant get phone into download mode a usb jig might help in getting into download mode.
    if its hw failure then replacement of hw, usually motherboard but who knows for sure.
    no signs of life=no vibrations and blank screen when hitting power button, plugging cable or when trying to enter dl mode
    hardbricked=no signs of life=by a bad flash or hw failure.
    softbrick=bootloops and/or you have vibration when hitting power button, plugging cable or when trying to enter dl mode.
    if you can get it into recovery or dl mode you should be able to flash a stock/custom rom to get it back to working condition.
    if you can't get it into recovery or dl mode, read next question if you cant, and you tried multiple times and failed then jtag might help

31a) Q. how would i know my phone is hard bricked or dead
    A. Read above.
    try this. remove battery and leave it out, plug phone into pc or charger, in doing so phone should vibrate repeatedly(this assumes your vibrator was/is working), if it does not vibrate then its dead, how or why idk, jtag repair "might" fix it if you flashed a incompatible rom, if its hw failure you would need to replace the bad hw which is usually mobo but dont quote me on that.

32) Q. why does my phone not start and just bootloops and/or vibrates every couple of seconds
    A. could be a "sticky power button", read the next question and the info section in the 1STOP STICKY

33) Q. how do i test for a stuck "sticky" power button
    A. NOTE: Could Be A Random Sticky Power Button As It Wont Be Stuck All The Time So Test Might Be Inconclusive.
    TEST: NO CABLE PLUGGED IN: Remove then reinsert the battery and if the phone turns on by itself and then takes approx 10 sec's to turn off and then starts vibrating every couple of seconds then its for sure a power button problem, its stuck, goto the link in the next answer for a possible fix.
    The key thing you need to establish is if reinserting the battery restarts the phone w/out u touching the power button, if so then the button is stuck

34) Q. how do I clean and or replace the power button
    A. If you have determined that's its a stuck power button read post #16 PROCEDURE ON CLEANING/REPLACING POWER BUTTON, on that thread there are pictures b4 that post

34a) Q. is there an app that will turn off/on the screen that would function like the power button
    A. TAPTAP
    q. dev says to do a full wipe before flashing his rom, huh.
    a. in recovery perform these steps:
    DO EACH OF THESE ACTIONS TWICE: >
    • WIPE "CACHE" PARTITION
    • WIPE "DALVIK CACHE" PARTITION
    • WIPE "SYSTEM" PARTITION
    • PERFORM A "FACTORY RESET"
    LOL

fail