[Guide]Make an Optimus One to fit you, save battery and get best performance!!!

Search This thread

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
Code:
This guide is just something to give you choices, anything you do it's your job, but just get some inspiration;)
WARNING!!! I am not responsible for anything you do to your phone, just try not get too fuzzy with it, or you will brick your phone!!!
Most the thing here will be for rooted phones, if something not working don't blame me, blame GOOGLE...
This only Applies to stock GB and CM 7.1 by mik_os, any other ROMs may not be supported, sorry.
READ©Up There!!!

Any extra info and apps are welcome:)

* - No danger, definitely go for it!!!
** - This may make your phone unstable, but if you find the solution in time, you are fine...
*** - May make your O1 un-start-able...
**** - Can brick the phone, can destroy it forever!!!

Install CyanogenMod, it will save at least 100MB of your internal storage(as all apps are on ROM, LG apps are on internal memory in stock).
Also, may do much more better things to your phone, but be careful.
Try custom kernels by franco for overclock!!!

First of all, lets start with the CPU****
Use SetCpu
I will tell the frequencies, and what I recommend for, any other advises are good, for any frequency, or atleast the major ones(122-480-600-729-768-806-864)
122MHz** - Lowest, but there are some things:
- Use this if you don't use your phone, only for rare talking and stuff...
- If you have 2% battery drops in 2 mins after you turn the screen on, this is the problem of 122 min...
- If you use your phone more than 1 time/hour (no matter how much), don't use this as min...
245MHz* - Avoid it at all costs, it does nothing good, takes same battery as 480, but it is slower, finish tasks slower, don't use...
320MHz* - This is not good for anything...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
480MHz* - My favorite, 90% of my use, will save battery, fast response, maybe it will work as max a bit, some apps work like a charm on 480:D
- Anyone using the phone for anything else other than calling... this is the best!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
600MHz* - use it if no need for OverClock, as I noticed, only Angry Birds and Facebook app gets boosted...
729MHz** - Best Overclocking for battery, will not affect any of your phone, battery is as much as 600, no way you shouldn't use it, no heat up also!!!
768MHz** - best performance without affecting hardware, it will heat up a bit...
806MHz**** - Last one that will not burn it in 5 minutes, I would not go any higher...
864MHz**** - If this works on your phone, it is 100% new and 100% perfect!!!

MENTIONS, VERY IMPORTANT: It depends on your phone, manufacture errors, your phone may go stable @864MHz, or it may not go higher than 600... mine goes at 768MHz, any higher gets me KP...

If you don't need profiles, just get No Frills***

Governors
minmax - like the name, goes to min or to max, it is horrible!!!
Scary - a modified conservative, a bit weird... try it you may like it, better at battery than conservative, worse at gaming, non-gamers, try this!
SmartassV2 - Good, try, great... a better version of smartass, use this if you have it, great for fast gaming, but not good for long use...
SavagedZen - WTF IS THIS???????
smartass - it changes the frequency very good, it really is smart, see v2↑
conservative - goes up and down in stages, not 122→729, but 122→320→600→652→…, really good for long uses and short uses, not taking battery like others, but it has a lower start when gaming, lag in 1st 2 minutes, but then it is no more lag, tested on "Diversion", a really cool highend game.
ondemand - this is what you had when the phone came!!!
userspace - WTF IS THIS??????
powersave - keeps at minimum frequency...
interactiveX - modified version of interactive, which goes to max in second... it is same as SmartassV2, a bit stabler on my phone.
performance - stays at max...
SmartassV2 and InteractiveX have build-in sleep profiles, it saves battery when standby-ing and best performance at gaming, while scary gets you best battery and a usable phone, and conservative the best performance/battery.

Next, VM heap(RAM allowed for an app):*
This will take more RAM, but will boost the CPU and more things...
On CM7, go to performance settings-VM heap
On stock ROM, install VM heap tool from the market...
Set it to 32MB*, this is already done in CM7, but on stock ROM it is easy and then then BOOSTED...
24MB will slow apps...**
48MB will fill the RAM fast, making system autokill kill too fast...**
OR just change the value in build.prop

Use a simple launcher, that may save battery and use low CPU... Here are my recommends:***
Nemus Launcher*
- Looks a bit like LGHome, and takes less battery;)
- Very smooth, look at the video it has on the market...
- It really is fast response and quick launch, a new experience;)
- Very simple, smooth and :cool:
LauncherPro*
- Very good, my personal favorite, will save battery and keep options, will need to be updated if ICS comes, tho...
- Smooth, but no horizontal drawer...
ADW*
- I hate that this is hard control, not very smooth, YOU have to chose it, but if you tried more, you will see it is not the smoothest, not the most customisable, but a pretty good combination...
- You can get used to it, but if you used LGHome for more than a month, you won't need this, you will quit it!
Zeam*
- This one gets updated, and really fixes the bugs it had... it is not an usual one, but minimalistic, like it says:)
- Most of the big launcher won't get updated anymore, abandoned...
- This one is good, but it is not exactly smooth, but power save;)
GO Launcher:)**
- With the right combination, they say you have it smooth, I didn't:(
- Did 2 factory resets because of the corrupted data after a few glitches that made me remove the battery...
- DO NOT SET default if you want this, dangerous... only thing that did something bad when I was not rooted, got me bootloops:(((((((
Watch out the setting you enable, maybe you don't need all kinds of gestures, anything you don't use, DISABLE!!!*

APPS TO USE OR NOT TO USE, YOUR OPINION IS BETTER, THIS IS JUST MY ADVICE:
NO TASK KILLERS(ATK, ATM, TasKiller). Use minfree, set the values you need, the other tweaks you need and enjoy!
Juice Defender will only help you... really when does it help?????
Link2SD - easiest way to manage, freeze, uninstall, move2sd, any app management that requires root, except backup!!!
Just uninstall any app you don't need!
Data on Demand - Really good, try it;)
Freeze system apps (Link2SD above!!!) with ugly UI and slow, like the Browser and Gallery (YOU MUST), but get a better app before that, with all those missing functions...
Replace Gallery with QuickPic and Browser with Dolphin, which is the only one with cool UI, fast startup and FULL, Opera Mini and Mobile are NOT full, but they are fast;)
If you want to save your eyes, use Screen Filter*
Yahoo Mail and Gmail are huge hogs!!! If you don't need instant notifications, use stock for that, it refreshes automatically when you start it, takes 2 seconds to refresh, and no battery lost...
Disable profiles in SetCpu if you don't need, that takes battery too!
Use Autostarts, this is your problem, your apps, good luck, but watch out...*** If you want, google autostarts.apk, I got it that way;)

Disable unused settings, never use high quality in games and apps, that are made for hdpi, O1 is MDPI...*
Don't use wifi when it is not there, just hogs battery, I know some people use it everytime, everywhere, just get it on when you use it, or if you have at home...*
GPS* - This only works OUTDOOR, don't enable it in the house
Get brightness to minimum, will save your eyes and trust me, get it to max in sun and you see it perfect, get it off when at home and see it the same...*
AutoSync* - Disable sync for crappy apps, some things just sync without working at all...
Data* also takes lot of battery(very much, actually), so disable it when not in use, if you want it off when screen off, use Data on Demand
Also, empty your screens, don't use 10 widgets per screen, I use 1 and I am happy, they don't inform you that much, you know...

*Disable setting you don't need( like the high quality images in cm7 menu, what is it good at Optimus one?), eg: I never use gestures, I type Facebook faster than making an "f" in gestures, and that takes some of the CPU, disable everything you don't need or that doesn't help!!!
Angry birds(not seasons and Rio, only the classic) has an option to disable the background, that will make it 2x faster...
Disable history you don't need, flash when you don't need...*

Useful links:
ROOT O1 worked for me without a hard reset;)
CM7 by mik_os
Kernel for Gingerbread and mik_os 6.6.1
Kernel for stock FroYo and 6.5.x by mik
New baseband(if you want cyanogenmod and you upgraded to 2.3)
SetCpu

FEEL FREE TO CONTRADICT ME OR GIVE ME MORE APPS AND ADVISES, TELL ME IF ANYTHING IS OUTDATED, AND FEEL FREE TO PRESS THANKS!!!****

Last edited:

Turducken

Jun 22, 2011
suggestion #1 - lower the font size!

SetCPU - runs as a service, instead I'd suggest a boot script or No Frills

VM heap tool - just change the value in build.prop no need for an app

SD Cardbooster - use init.d script or add your desired value to init.local.rc

Autostarts - take it or leave it, most of the startup processes end up cached and not actually loaded into memory. It will improve boot times though.

Advanced Task Killer - Most experts don't suggest task killers... they're not needed.

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011

Autostarts - take it or leave it, most of the startup processes end up cached and not actually loaded into memory. It will improve boot times though.

Advanced Task Killer - Most experts don't suggest task killers... they're not needed.

OK this may help, but no average user can do them, they will just brick there phone...

Turducken

Jun 22, 2011
In thinking about it, I hate Task Killers, Androids memory management is actually pretty good. Instead search "minfree" on the Market and play with the settings. It's safer and more effective.

Task killer + noob = disaster.

gnsxp

Jul 15, 2011
Don't use 806, hogs battery and give you kernel panics...

Ammm....no Hogs Here on 806, running smooth and hardly made a difference from 729-806 wrt battery draining FOR ME.
just make sure u dont keep all your apps open in the background.

and About the Task manager
i use TaskKiller its got a nice 1 button end apps widget that runs in 1x1 mode. And u can add running services to the ignore list, like DSP manager, Google Services, Messages etc that wont flood the Running apps list, And Whenever u use other apps like Market,Maps or the Browser and wont use it soon again u can end those apps and get some free ram over there.
Specially after Playing some games and browsing pics using a PicManager.

Anyways gr9 Tips :D

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
Ammm....no Hogs Here on 806, running smooth and hardly made a difference from 729-806 wrt battery draining FOR ME.
just make sure u dont keep all your apps open in the background.

and About the Task manager
i use TaskKiller its got a nice 1 button end apps widget that runs in 1x1 mode. And u can add running services to the ignore list, like DSP manager, Google Services, Messages etc that wont flood the Running apps list, And Whenever u use other apps like Market,Maps or the Browser and wont use it soon again u can end those apps and get some free ram over there.
Specially after Playing some games and browsing pics using a PicManager.

Anyways gr9 Tips :D
I cannot recommend a task killer, everyone knows about them, but memory managers are only for root, so they must get known, I will recommend no task killer, sorry(to avoid noobs getting lower performance just because.they can't make an ignore list...)
What should I do with cache, does it speed it up or just make some stuff slower, or cached data may even boost?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

Last edited:

terratrix

Jun 9, 2011
Singapore
I disagree saying 806 or whatever is a battery hog. there is no recommended frequency, as everybody uses their phone differently. Some may use CPU intensive apps or functions that are only good for battery at maybe 806mhz. For those light users, overclocking isn't very good, as their need for CPU is less and overclocking just drains more battery.

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
I disagree saying 806 or whatever is a battery hog. there is no recommended frequency, as everybody uses their phone differently. Some may use CPU intensive apps or functions that are only good for battery at maybe 806mhz. For those light users, overclocking isn't very good, as their need for CPU is less and overclocking just drains more battery.
I mean 806 is bad for phone, you can use it, but you need to br carefull...

Human_dude_007

Jul 30, 2011
chennai
Nice tips matee..I disagree with your point saying frequencies below 480 drain no less battery.(have read Franco n fserve sayn d same as you ) but fore me-
With 122-729 interactivex I lose 1% in 2hours .but with 480-729 interactivex I lost 2-3 % in 1 1/2 -2 hours on standby.
And I feel no lag at all while unclocking..

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
Nice tips matee..I disagree with your point saying frequencies below 480 drain no less battery.(have read Franco n fserve sayn d same as you ) but fore me-
With 122-729 interactivex I lose 1% in 2hours .but with 480-729 interactivex I lost 2-3 % in 1 1/2 -2 hours on standby.
And I feel no lag at all while unclocking..

I don't know what to say, the 480 and 122 have same voltage, and the battery it takes works in SmartAssV2, interactiveX is made for gaming and using it, but I don't think it will keep at lowest, I will add that interactive governors are better at 122 min, but Amy others, I think best is 480, it depends so much on the governor, try scary, that is cool.to see how the frequencies change very odd...

harshdoshi25

Apr 23, 2011
Kolkata
www.instagram.com
aah... good one.. but a lot of other things uve mised here !! the real normal ones.. like brightness, sync, etc.. n also , i would like to give the phone n iphone type smoothess n cool animations.. (only for adw n cm7)

first from spare parts, make windows animation 'slow' or 'normal' n make transition animation 'normal' n from adw settings > screen prefference > in the end there is a setting to adjust screen transition speed. keep it somewhere in the centre.. this'll give u amazing smoothness ! :D

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
aah... good one.. but a lot of other things uve mised here !! the real normal ones.. like brightness, sync, etc.. n also , i would like to give the phone n iphone type smoothess n cool animations.. (only for adw n cm7)

first from spare parts, make windows animation 'slow' or 'normal' n make transition animation 'normal' n from adw settings > screen prefference > in the end there is a setting to adjust screen transition speed. keep it somewhere in the centre.. this'll give u amazing smoothness ! :D
I will get that when I go on PC, but will the smoothness take off the performance?

terratrix

Jun 9, 2011
Singapore
I don't know what to say, the 480 and 122 have same voltage, and the battery it takes works in SmartAssV2, interactiveX is made for gaming and using it, but I don't think it will keep at lowest, I will add that interactive governors are better at 122 min, but Amy others, I think best is 480, it depends so much on the governor, try scary, that is cool.to see how the frequencies change very odd...

I don't think so. I think 122 Mhz is using a different voltage, only 245,320 and 480mhz are the same voltage. However 122 mhz is slow and unresponsive so...

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
I don't think so. I think 122 Mhz is using a different voltage, only 245,320 and 480mhz are the same voltage. However 122 mhz is slow and unresponsive so...
It is much batter to have fast responsive doing something in a second at 480 than having to reboot just to get rid of the 122 lag...

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
I will try making this just to give you advices, but making your own choices, knowing what exactly are you doing, making an O1 just the way you want, for example I am gonna say what is every frequency good for, but I will tell you what are the risks, but does anyone have a voltage list for every frequency( up to 864, if you can...).
So I will thank you, I need more help...

nshaziq89

May 12, 2011
Should mke the thread as "discussion", as this topic os quite subjective.

But very good topic!! Im happy to see this topic, as a noob, this give me a lot understanding to enhance my O1.

kpbotbot

What I do:

1. Install Titanium Backup, QuickPic, and another browser that's meant to be kill-able.
2. Freeze Android's default browser and Gallery.
3. Set the 2 things I downloaded as default.

Browser and Gallery had been the culprits of a lot of my battery leaks for the past 7 months. How'd I know? Watchdog. Install Watchdog. It's a lifesaver.

Also, no problems with GO Launcher :)

Reactions: vlt96

Human_dude_007

Jul 30, 2011
chennai
(Help )got myself autokiller memory optimiser(minfree) from market ..what should my settings be to keep minimum ram at 280?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    This guide is just something to give you choices, anything you do it's your job, but just get some inspiration;)
    WARNING!!! I am not responsible for anything you do to your phone, just try not get too fuzzy with it, or you will brick your phone!!!
    Most the thing here will be for rooted phones, if something not working don't blame me, blame GOOGLE...
    This only Applies to stock GB and CM 7.1 by mik_os, any other ROMs may not be supported, sorry.
    READ©Up There!!!

Any extra info and apps are welcome:)

* - No danger, definitely go for it!!!
    ** - This may make your phone unstable, but if you find the solution in time, you are fine...
    *** - May make your O1 un-start-able...
    **** - Can brick the phone, can destroy it forever!!!

Install CyanogenMod, it will save at least 100MB of your internal storage(as all apps are on ROM, LG apps are on internal memory in stock).
    Also, may do much more better things to your phone, but be careful.
    Try custom kernels by franco for overclock!!!

First of all, lets start with the CPU****
    Use SetCpu
    I will tell the frequencies, and what I recommend for, any other advises are good, for any frequency, or atleast the major ones(122-480-600-729-768-806-864)
    122MHz** - Lowest, but there are some things:
    - Use this if you don't use your phone, only for rare talking and stuff...
    - If you have 2% battery drops in 2 mins after you turn the screen on, this is the problem of 122 min...
    - If you use your phone more than 1 time/hour (no matter how much), don't use this as min...
    245MHz* - Avoid it at all costs, it does nothing good, takes same battery as 480, but it is slower, finish tasks slower, don't use...
    320MHz* - This is not good for anything...
    480MHz* - My favorite, 90% of my use, will save battery, fast response, maybe it will work as max a bit, some apps work like a charm on 480:D
    - Anyone using the phone for anything else other than calling... this is the best!!!
    600MHz* - use it if no need for OverClock, as I noticed, only Angry Birds and Facebook app gets boosted...
    729MHz** - Best Overclocking for battery, will not affect any of your phone, battery is as much as 600, no way you shouldn't use it, no heat up also!!!
    768MHz** - best performance without affecting hardware, it will heat up a bit...
    806MHz**** - Last one that will not burn it in 5 minutes, I would not go any higher...
    864MHz**** - If this works on your phone, it is 100% new and 100% perfect!!!

MENTIONS, VERY IMPORTANT: It depends on your phone, manufacture errors, your phone may go stable @864MHz, or it may not go higher than 600... mine goes at 768MHz, any higher gets me KP...

If you don't need profiles, just get No Frills***

Governors
    minmax - like the name, goes to min or to max, it is horrible!!!
    Scary - a modified conservative, a bit weird... try it you may like it, better at battery than conservative, worse at gaming, non-gamers, try this!
    SmartassV2 - Good, try, great... a better version of smartass, use this if you have it, great for fast gaming, but not good for long use...
    SavagedZen - WTF IS THIS???????
    smartass - it changes the frequency very good, it really is smart, see v2↑
    conservative - goes up and down in stages, not 122→729, but 122→320→600→652→…, really good for long uses and short uses, not taking battery like others, but it has a lower start when gaming, lag in 1st 2 minutes, but then it is no more lag, tested on "Diversion", a really cool highend game.
    ondemand - this is what you had when the phone came!!!
    userspace - WTF IS THIS??????
    powersave - keeps at minimum frequency...
    interactiveX - modified version of interactive, which goes to max in second... it is same as SmartassV2, a bit stabler on my phone.
    performance - stays at max...
    SmartassV2 and InteractiveX have build-in sleep profiles, it saves battery when standby-ing and best performance at gaming, while scary gets you best battery and a usable phone, and conservative the best performance/battery.

Next, VM heap(RAM allowed for an app):*
    This will take more RAM, but will boost the CPU and more things...
    On CM7, go to performance settings-VM heap
    On stock ROM, install VM heap tool from the market...
    Set it to 32MB*, this is already done in CM7, but on stock ROM it is easy and then then BOOSTED...
    24MB will slow apps...**
    48MB will fill the RAM fast, making system autokill kill too fast...**
    OR just change the value in build.prop

Use a simple launcher, that may save battery and use low CPU... Here are my recommends:***
    Nemus Launcher*
    - Looks a bit like LGHome, and takes less battery;)
    - Very smooth, look at the video it has on the market...
    - It really is fast response and quick launch, a new experience;)
    - Very simple, smooth and :cool:
    LauncherPro*
    - Very good, my personal favorite, will save battery and keep options, will need to be updated if ICS comes, tho...
    - Smooth, but no horizontal drawer...
    ADW*
    - I hate that this is hard control, not very smooth, YOU have to chose it, but if you tried more, you will see it is not the smoothest, not the most customisable, but a pretty good combination...
    - You can get used to it, but if you used LGHome for more than a month, you won't need this, you will quit it!
    Zeam*
    - This one gets updated, and really fixes the bugs it had... it is not an usual one, but minimalistic, like it says:)
    - Most of the big launcher won't get updated anymore, abandoned...
    - This one is good, but it is not exactly smooth, but power save;)
    GO Launcher:)**
    - With the right combination, they say you have it smooth, I didn't:(
    - Did 2 factory resets because of the corrupted data after a few glitches that made me remove the battery...
    - DO NOT SET default if you want this, dangerous... only thing that did something bad when I was not rooted, got me bootloops:(((((((
    Watch out the setting you enable, maybe you don't need all kinds of gestures, anything you don't use, DISABLE!!!*

APPS TO USE OR NOT TO USE, YOUR OPINION IS BETTER, THIS IS JUST MY ADVICE:
    NO TASK KILLERS(ATK, ATM, TasKiller). Use minfree, set the values you need, the other tweaks you need and enjoy!
    Juice Defender will only help you... really when does it help?????
    Link2SD - easiest way to manage, freeze, uninstall, move2sd, any app management that requires root, except backup!!!
    Just uninstall any app you don't need!
    Data on Demand - Really good, try it;)
    Freeze system apps (Link2SD above!!!) with ugly UI and slow, like the Browser and Gallery (YOU MUST), but get a better app before that, with all those missing functions...
    Replace Gallery with QuickPic and Browser with Dolphin, which is the only one with cool UI, fast startup and FULL, Opera Mini and Mobile are NOT full, but they are fast;)
    If you want to save your eyes, use Screen Filter*
    Yahoo Mail and Gmail are huge hogs!!! If you don't need instant notifications, use stock for that, it refreshes automatically when you start it, takes 2 seconds to refresh, and no battery lost...
    Disable profiles in SetCpu if you don't need, that takes battery too!
    Use Autostarts, this is your problem, your apps, good luck, but watch out...*** If you want, google autostarts.apk, I got it that way;)

Disable unused settings, never use high quality in games and apps, that are made for hdpi, O1 is MDPI...*
    Don't use wifi when it is not there, just hogs battery, I know some people use it everytime, everywhere, just get it on when you use it, or if you have at home...*
    GPS* - This only works OUTDOOR, don't enable it in the house
    Get brightness to minimum, will save your eyes and trust me, get it to max in sun and you see it perfect, get it off when at home and see it the same...*
    AutoSync* - Disable sync for crappy apps, some things just sync without working at all...
    Data* also takes lot of battery(very much, actually), so disable it when not in use, if you want it off when screen off, use Data on Demand
    Also, empty your screens, don't use 10 widgets per screen, I use 1 and I am happy, they don't inform you that much, you know...

*Disable setting you don't need( like the high quality images in cm7 menu, what is it good at Optimus one?), eg: I never use gestures, I type Facebook faster than making an "f" in gestures, and that takes some of the CPU, disable everything you don't need or that doesn't help!!!
    Angry birds(not seasons and Rio, only the classic) has an option to disable the background, that will make it 2x faster...
    Disable history you don't need, flash when you don't need...*

Useful links:
    ROOT O1 worked for me without a hard reset;)
    CM7 by mik_os
    Kernel for Gingerbread and mik_os 6.6.1
    Kernel for stock FroYo and 6.5.x by mik
    New baseband(if you want cyanogenmod and you upgraded to 2.3)
    SetCpu

FEEL FREE TO CONTRADICT ME OR GIVE ME MORE APPS AND ADVISES, TELL ME IF ANYTHING IS OUTDATED, AND FEEL FREE TO PRESS THANKS!!!****
    I have been reading quite a bit on these forums, the main idea behind this thread is performance tips. They wont work for everyone since none of us have the exact same apps installed of use our devices in the same way. I for one leave wifi on the whole time when at home, when not, I switch it off and use data as needed.
    Draining the battery seems to be on everyones mind here, but its not like you dont sleep at least 6 hours a night giving you more than enough time to charge your device before using it tomorrow. A space/replacement battery is much cheaper than a replacement device if your concern is replacing the battery.
    Most of the tips are really brilliant and have helped me to set up my device to the point where I am very happy with what appears to be a budget device kicking it with the mid range boys.
    We will always see the task killer vs minifree discussions, thing is, for the most part its the mac vs windows debate, some will look at it from a technical standpoint and point out that android has the memory management specifically designed for low power mobile devices. Others look at memory as being the be all and end all of performance. Being a developer by trade, i understand the importance of having as much memory free as possible for certain tasks but on the other hand start up times on a device you use constantly is very important. None of us run a database server on their devices, we dont play Crysis 2 at full resolution and we bought a budget device. Pushing the boundaries is something we all do else we wouldnt even be here flashing the latest rom or rooting our phones. So my piece of advice, try what you read here and form your own opinion.
    Personally I clock my phone at 480 min-729 max with smartass2, it works for me. I use go launcher with only one screen, I have a menu with all my apps so why waste memory and cpu on widgets? Wanna know what the weather is like? Stick your head out the window. One thing I have noticed, googlemaps, if you dont need it, kill it. It uses battery like nobodys business when running in the background. As for brightness, I have a shiny phone with a damn nice screen, why not use it when I want to? Performance vs longevity is whole different matter. A gallardo doesnt go any slower because you plugged your phone into the charger and you are pumping the music, yet it affects the battery. This was supposed to my 2c but has now turned into a dollar. The point being, try what you see, learn from it and form your opinion without shoving it down someone else's throat like I have seen on some of the posts here.

Everyone here was a noob once, not everyone here is technically minded, keep that in mind when you blast some poor poster with your superior knowledge (yes I am talking you to mr "google/search first!!!, the server wont miraculously run out of space because someone doesnt know the correct term so search, therefore we post)

In thinking about it, I hate Task Killers, Androids memory management is actually pretty good. Instead search "minfree" on the Market and play with the settings. It's safer and more effective.

Task killer + noob = disaster.
    I use SetCPU (profile screen-off with 480/480 powersave) and 806/480 conservative in normal, Data 2g always on and I get more battery life for daily use :D
    No need for profiles, use nofrills, frequencies never go over 480 on conservative and screen off... this is what it does... profiles actually take more!! And nofrills also has io shedulers too;)

Sent from my LG-P500