[Mini Review] Spigen Neo Hybrid + dbrand

Search This thread

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
I know there are a few other Spigen Neo Hybrid threads out there, but I wanted to put my take on it and not have it buried in another thread. I have done this in the past and it was a pain to search for it to refer it to others lol.

I got the Neo Hybrid in today and the quality is really great. My other Spigen is the Ultra Hybrid, but to me the Neo Hybrid seems a bit more polished. The Neo Hybrid when installed does make the phone wider, and as a result the Seidio Dilex holster for the Nexus 5 was just able to holster this bad boy. Overall I love the design and is more of a middle of the road in rugged case designs. The tpu and then the "fram" is like a polished plastic. Both power and volume rockers are covered with this design which I actually prefer because if it had cut outs, I would be fishing for the buttons. The feedback is nice and no issues there.

All the openings are spot on. The front face has a good size lip so you can place the phone on it's face without worry. The back's camera lens is recessed into the case so that side is also taken care of. Also when installing, I was worried that my screen protector may rise up. Thankfully it did not lol. My next concern was that of taking the case off. I review a lot of cases and I take on a new case almost every week lol. However, but peeling up on the upper right corner of the phone (where the light sensors are) and peel back the tpu part of the lip of the Neo Hybrid, you are able to free the N5 like a banana lol.

IMO, this is a great case for the user that drops their phone constantly, but not at a great height. I mean it may take it like a champ, but I am not willing to "test" that out for you lol.

I also stated that with the Neo Hybrid installed, the phone now just barely fits in the Seidio Dilex holster. BUT it fits lol.

And because of the great thread that I came across had the brilliant idea of putting a dbrand skin on the back of this Neo Hybrid, I did the same! Because the camera and flash cut outs are the same as the phone, installation was a breeze. I had to readjust it twice! And better yet, no hair dryer needed because of the flat surface compared to the curved nature of the back of the Nexus 5.

Installed the white CF and matched up with the white cf I already have on. The threading of the CF is so exact, even the replacement one followed the pattern, big props for dbrand there as well!

Pros:
Comes in different colors to suit any palette
Makes the phone more durable IMO than naked.
Ability to add the dbrand back skins like a boss!
For me the spigen screen protector stayed on.
(Without dbrand skin, the matte backing did not attract fingerprints)
Fits in the Seidio Dilex Holster for Nexus 5 (JUST BARELY)
Wireless charging still works (tested on Nexus Wireless charger and Nexus Orb charger, I am sure it'll work on the Tylt Vu as well)
NFC works as well.

Cons:
Makes the N5 WIDE like a bumper
BARELY fits in my Seidio Dilex Holster for Nexus 5
A bit hard to take out of the case

Can I recommend it? Yes. I think this case is ideal for the person who drops their phone constantly. I am not talking about 5 foot drops, just drops from ones pocket or jacket and such. :p

You can buy these directly through Spigen via Amazon or Ebay (in the US anyways)

Pics below, shoot me any questions if needed.

Attachments

• DSC02727.jpg
    DSC02727.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC02728.jpg
    DSC02728.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC02729.jpg
    DSC02729.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 806
  • DSC02730.jpg
    DSC02730.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 751
  • DSC02731.jpg
    DSC02731.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 760
  • DSC02732.jpg
    DSC02732.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 724
  • DSC02733.jpg
    DSC02733.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 644
  • DSC02735.jpg
    DSC02735.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC02737.jpg
    DSC02737.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 634
  • DSC02739.jpg
    DSC02739.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC02740.jpg
    DSC02740.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 587
  • DSC02741.jpg
    DSC02741.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC02742.jpg
    DSC02742.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC02743.jpg
    DSC02743.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC02744.jpg
    DSC02744.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC02734.jpg
    DSC02734.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 578

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
This.

Dbrand now has a new order from me for a few new skins. Ha ha ha

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

@dbrandSkins

You can pay me by sending me the multicolored X when they come out lol.

Thanks all. This dbrand backing is not my idea. It was conceived in one of the Neo Hybrid threads. It made perfect sense! Because all the other cases had the larger opening of the camera and flash and one would have to carefully cut it and wrap it in. It worked, but not to my liking lol. This combo is just friggin awesome. :D

Reactions: spicydicy

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
Looks awesome. Have you tried this on the Spigen Neo Ultra? Im waiting on my dbrand now to maybe give it a whirl...:good:

Are you referring to the SpigenUltra Hybrid? THere is no Neo Ultra that I am aware of. Nevertheless, the Ultra Hybrid will not work without modding the camera holes. AKA:Cut and wrap=I will do it sloppy lol

But if there is a Neo Ultra somewhere, please post a link to the back side and I can tell you if it'll work or not.

spicydicy

Aug 22, 2012
Winnipeg
I can check later tonight. But I would say no, due to the the camera cut out not being the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

slickwraps

Dec 1, 2013
Andover
slickwraps.com

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
How would you compare the Ultra Hybrid Crystal I have shown to the Neo Hybrid? After looking at your pictures a few times, Im will to order one. I just do not want the phone any larger...

I don't have the Ultra Hybrid Crystal, but I do have the Ultra Hybrid in grey. Comparing the Ultra Hybrid to the Neo Hybrid. The Neo Hybrid is a bit wider because keep in mind there's a tpu case and then around that is the colored plastic piece which acts like a bumper in a sense. The Ultra Hybrid is just tpu on the outside and no bumper add-on.

So if you had the N4 with a LG bumper, that is how the feeling feels like. A bit wider than without. But the Ultra Hybrid is a tad narrower, so you may want that.

I am ok with the extra width. I have gotten used to it after a day of usage. Even with the tight fit when using the Seidio Holster I am still using it. I like the look of it overall as well.

Reactions: 1SiK1500

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know there are a few other Spigen Neo Hybrid threads out there, but I wanted to put my take on it and not have it buried in another thread. I have done this in the past and it was a pain to search for it to refer it to others lol.

I got the Neo Hybrid in today and the quality is really great. My other Spigen is the Ultra Hybrid, but to me the Neo Hybrid seems a bit more polished. The Neo Hybrid when installed does make the phone wider, and as a result the Seidio Dilex holster for the Nexus 5 was just able to holster this bad boy. Overall I love the design and is more of a middle of the road in rugged case designs. The tpu and then the "fram" is like a polished plastic. Both power and volume rockers are covered with this design which I actually prefer because if it had cut outs, I would be fishing for the buttons. The feedback is nice and no issues there.

All the openings are spot on. The front face has a good size lip so you can place the phone on it's face without worry. The back's camera lens is recessed into the case so that side is also taken care of. Also when installing, I was worried that my screen protector may rise up. Thankfully it did not lol. My next concern was that of taking the case off. I review a lot of cases and I take on a new case almost every week lol. However, but peeling up on the upper right corner of the phone (where the light sensors are) and peel back the tpu part of the lip of the Neo Hybrid, you are able to free the N5 like a banana lol.

IMO, this is a great case for the user that drops their phone constantly, but not at a great height. I mean it may take it like a champ, but I am not willing to "test" that out for you lol.

I also stated that with the Neo Hybrid installed, the phone now just barely fits in the Seidio Dilex holster. BUT it fits lol.

And because of the great thread that I came across had the brilliant idea of putting a dbrand skin on the back of this Neo Hybrid, I did the same! Because the camera and flash cut outs are the same as the phone, installation was a breeze. I had to readjust it twice! And better yet, no hair dryer needed because of the flat surface compared to the curved nature of the back of the Nexus 5.

Installed the white CF and matched up with the white cf I already have on. The threading of the CF is so exact, even the replacement one followed the pattern, big props for dbrand there as well!

Pros:
    Comes in different colors to suit any palette
    Makes the phone more durable IMO than naked.
    Ability to add the dbrand back skins like a boss!
    For me the spigen screen protector stayed on.
    (Without dbrand skin, the matte backing did not attract fingerprints)
    Fits in the Seidio Dilex Holster for Nexus 5 (JUST BARELY)
    Wireless charging still works (tested on Nexus Wireless charger and Nexus Orb charger, I am sure it'll work on the Tylt Vu as well)
    NFC works as well.

Cons:
    Makes the N5 WIDE like a bumper
    BARELY fits in my Seidio Dilex Holster for Nexus 5
    A bit hard to take out of the case

Can I recommend it? Yes. I think this case is ideal for the person who drops their phone constantly. I am not talking about 5 foot drops, just drops from ones pocket or jacket and such. :p

You can buy these directly through Spigen via Amazon or Ebay (in the US anyways)

Pics below, shoot me any questions if needed.

This.

This.

@dbrandSkins

You can pay me by sending me the multicolored X when they come out lol.

Thanks all. This dbrand backing is not my idea. It was conceived in one of the Neo Hybrid threads. It made perfect sense! Because all the other cases had the larger opening of the camera and flash and one would have to carefully cut it and wrap it in. It worked, but not to my liking lol. This combo is just friggin awesome. :D
    Looks awesome. Have you tried this on the Spigen Neo Ultra? Im waiting on my dbrand now to maybe give it a whirl...:good: