[RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][3.6.1-x] TWRP for Galaxy Note8 Exynos

Search This thread

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.6.1-* For Galaxy Note8 Exynos
Only for exynos variants - N950F (Single SIM: Europe, Australia); N950FD (Global Dual SIM: Europe, LATAM, Brazil; Australia); N950N (South Korea)
Disclaimer
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Features:
Code:
- built from Pie kernel source
- built from android-9.0 recovery sources
- built in full 64 mode
- fully compatible with Android 8.*/9.0/10.0

Downloads:

Instructions:
Odin

1. Download latest Odin zip from downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung
  2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
  3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
  4. Download TWRP_*.tar
  5. Switch off the phone
  6. Use Bixby Key+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
  7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
  8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
  9. Click Start
  10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Bixby key" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
  11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Bixby key" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
  12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.

TWRP
  • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
After booting in TWRP download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip to disable data partition encryption
If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

Sources:
Credits:
  • TeamWin, jesec, geiti94, dyneteve, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible

Last edited:

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
FAQ / Further reading
Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
A:
ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware.

Q: I get "Failed to mount /preload message", what to do?
A: From wipe menu select Advanced Wipe, select preload partition to be wiped and reboot recovery.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
A: Because old rom encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.

Last edited:

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
I am using a modified twrp without data fix problem. Should i just flash the image file or i have to format data and setup from zero
datafix is for oreo issues where twrp could not properly access internal storage.

format is if you come from stock rom and still have encrypted storage.

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
After flashing .img (was on 3.2.1.1) I get "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing", only when booting into recovery.

Seems to work fine otherwise.

N950N
Repulsa's ROM.

Is this normal behavior?

Last edited:

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
After flashing .img (was on 3.2.1.1) I get "Recovery is not seandroid enforcing", only when booting into recovery.

Seems to work fine otherwise.

N950N
Repulsa's ROM.

Is this normal behavior?
im on the same phone and no such issue with new twrp i was on a newer twrp than yours and had formatted and flash dm verty zip initially from stock oreo. dirty flash your rom again just to see. if still no go then follow OP to the T to reflash it correctly.

did you ever flash oreo bootloader? because from what i understand, looks like you were on nougat before and flashed a oreo rom without upgrading fully to stock oreo before hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinan

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA
1. im on the same phone and no such issue with new twrp i was on a newer twrp than yours and had formatted and flash dm verty zip initially from stock oreo. dirty flash your rom again just to see. if still no go then follow OP to the T to reflash it correctly.

2. did you ever flash oreo bootloader? because from what i understand, looks like you were on nougat before and flashed a oreo rom without upgrading fully to stock oreo before hand.
1. I went from stock rom to Repulsa, using SuperSU. No issues.

2. Nougat to Oreo. Could be the issue. I did not update the BL. Don't know if the ROM did. I will check.

Do you happen to have a link to the correct BL?

Thanks for the tips!

bober10113

Mar 12, 2017
1. I went from stock rom to Repulsa, using SuperSU. No issues.

2. Nougat to Oreo. Could be the issue. I did not update the BL. Don't know if the ROM did. I will check.

Do you happen to have a link to the correct BL?

Thanks for the tips!
i could extract it but u can basically get it from unziping stock.(see link below)
since we are on the n950n, I'm almost sure repulsa rom didnt update it because mostly all roms that might include the BL will have mainly the F/DS bootloader, most dont even update it though.

latest BL would be U3. might be a good idea to update cp(modem) while you are at it too, so grab latest stock firmware and extract both from:
https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-N950N/
if download is slow, i can provide these 2 files in a few minutes because package is so big just to get them smaller files.

so only put bl and cp in odin and at least you will be on the latest stuff. dont know what is taking so long for BL U4 to arrive for our korean n950ns....

edit

latest bl and cp for N950N only:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhXVLDDj8g3AgdYhY8DslnHgCVMMEw

i also put samfirm downloader for future reference, its a fast way to get latest firmware. those hosting websites are so slow sometimes... updato.com is a fast one but firmwares arent always up to date though

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinan

Pinan

Mar 19, 2011
Murrieta, CA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ae08b8N.png

Official TWRP 3.6.1-* For Galaxy Note8 Exynos
    Only for exynos variants - N950F (Single SIM: Europe, Australia); N950FD (Global Dual SIM: Europe, LATAM, Brazil; Australia); N950N (South Korea)
    Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery before flashing it!
    YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Features:
    Code:
    - built from Pie kernel source
    - built from android-9.0 recovery sources
    - built in full 64 mode
    - fully compatible with Android 8.*/9.0/10.0

Downloads:

Instructions:
    Odin

1. Download latest Odin zip from downloads.corsicanu.ro/samsung
    2. Download and install Samsung Drivers (if you have them installed you can skip this step)
    3. Go to settings/Developer options and enable OEM unlock (If you don't see developer settings, go into Settings/About phone/Software info and tap "Build number" 10 times to show Developer options menu)
    4. Download TWRP_*.tar
    5. Switch off the phone
    6. Use Bixby Key+Volume Down+Power to enter Download Mode and connect the device to usb
    7. Open Odin and untick autoreboot in "options" tab. Also make sure that your device is detected
    8. Put TWRP_*.tar.md5 file into AP tab
    9. Click Start
    10. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the usb cable and press simultaneously the "Bixby key" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the downoad mode disappears
    11. At the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Bixby key" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to forcefully enter TWRP
    12. If it didn`t worked, redo the steps from #1 more careful this time.

TWRP
    • Download TWRP_*.img, push it into phone storage, choose install image in your current recovery, navigate to downloaded *.img file, select it, select to flash as recovery.
    After booting in TWRP download and flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip to disable data partition encryption
    If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread

Sources:
    Credits:
    • TeamWin, jesec, geiti94, dyneteve, testers, donors and anyone else involved in making this possible
    Official build is up!
    Regards.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    FAQ / Further reading
    Q: TWRP can't mount data partition, what to do?
    A: Make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: Phone is not booting even after 20 minutes
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, make sure you formatted data partition.

Q: How to format data partition?
    A:
    ymlnQUE.jpg

Q: Phone is showing only Samsung logo
    A: Try to reboot. If still not booting, consider installing an older TWRP build or a more recent firmware.

Q: I get "Failed to mount /preload message", what to do?
    A: From wipe menu select Advanced Wipe, select preload partition to be wiped and reboot recovery.

Q: Why do i need to format data partition?
    A: Because old rom encrypted your data partition and new rom can't decrypt and use that content / root needs access to data partition to place misc files / phone not booting after flashing root until data partition gets formatted.
    TWRP 3.3.0-* is out - all links are in first post.
    More details about the release here.
    Regards.