[Q] About cleaning before flashing CM ROM.

Search This thread

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013
Hello everyone. I am using Hong Kong GT-N7000, N7000ZSLR1 stock firmware with Android version 4.1.2. Also I use "PhilZ-cwm6-XXLTA-ATL-5.15.0-signed" as recovery but will reset flash counter after using this custom recovery each time (remove yellow triangle).

So let's get to the topic. I am going to install a new ROM, it's called "Beanstalk" or something, Android version 4.4.4, based on CM11. The link of the ROM is here: http://www.romzj.com/resources/samsung.html?view=rom&cid=90&id=14867. But since it's in Chinese so it's just for reference for you guys.

The problem is, I want to do a clean installation. I know that I need to use the recovery to wipe many things, I always do "5 wipes", like factory reset, wipe partition cache, dalvik cache etc. I don't remember so much but that's how I install new ROM. And that's the reason why I don't use stock recovery, I used that Philz becuase it can wipe 5 things for me, and official CWM recovery can't be installed in my phone (I mean the ROM manager app in Google Play Store that can install official CWM recovery), I don't know why, when I open recovery mode after installing official CWM it's still the stock one, maybe I messed with my phone too much before.

Anyway that's not the main concern, now that I think the "5 wipes" still can't completely remove the previous ROM's stuff. For example under the "device root/data/data" directory, some stock firmware's applications' folder still exist (I'm just predicting they will exist from my experience, I'm still in old stock firmware):

http://postimg.org/image/m1jlblhc7/

And some files of old stock firmware's app data is still here in sdcard0, I mean the internal storage of my phone, not external one. Names are like "com.kimi.ggplay.sklrtw" or something. Maybe "update.zip" can be deleted too.

Of course I will use that Philz recovery to backup my whole ROM before flashing new ROM. But I want to know how to completely delete unnecessary items in new ROM? That is, old files of the N7000ZSLR1. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

XxPixX

Dec 19, 2012
Warsaw
If you want to completely clean it then you can repartition the device with a pit file. Alternatively you can use "SD maid" to remove left overs like that.

If you want to completely clean it then you can repartition the device with a pit file.
Sorry for choosing this words: but it is simply stupid to "clean" a device by repartitioning it.
It is dangerous and there is completely no indication for using Pit files in this case.

XxPixX

Dec 19, 2012
Warsaw
Sorry for choosing this words: but it is simply stupid to "clean" a device by repartitioning it.
It is dangerous and there is completely no indication for using Pit files in this case.

Yup, I agree. But other steps will be a bit harder and less effective. This way you are sure to get it completely cleaned out. Normally, just a /data, /system, /preload will do and if you want to go a lot further then you can also format the internal memory.

Reactions: Jackwu696

Jackwu696

Jan 12, 2014
Jakarta City
Yup, I agree. But other steps will be a bit harder and less effective. This way you are sure to get it completely cleaned out. Normally, just a /data, /system, /preload will do and if you want to go a lot further then you can also format the internal memory.

Hai, I agree with @ThaiDai that repartitioning is by far too reckless n risky to clean up the device but I agree with you that formatting internal sd card is enough to do the trick as after formatting it will be cleared of everything. The OP of this topic must mean his leftover uninstalled apps folder as many android apps left their folder "just in case" you want to reinstall the app again. These folders usually contain their setting configuration n in some games the saved game files. Quite harmless but it can be annoying when we open our sd card n there r 'alien' folders
@Vulturon

Read the last 3 posts and you will find your answer.cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: XxPixX

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013

1. Formatting the internal memory sounds good, any tutorial on how to use .pit files? And why is it dangerous again?

2. Will it wipe my SMSs and contacts that are saved in my SIM card? Also will it wipes external SD card too?

3. Which custom recovery you think is the best here? For installing ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013
BTW this is my storage status, you can see my internal memory only consists of 1.975 GB...

7x5ck93qb

Jackwu696

Jan 12, 2014
Jakarta City
1. Formatting the internal memory sounds good, any tutorial on how to use .pit files? And why is it dangerous again?

2. Will it wipe my SMSs and contacts that are saved in my SIM card? Also will it wipes external SD card too?

Thanks in advance!

1. In short, wrong move in repartitioning will make your note a nice decoration. Search the thread on the why's.

2. Yes, formatting sd card WILL delete EVERYTHING so at least back up your media files before doing it.

3. This question violates XDA rules. Best Roms are roms that YOU think it's best for you n not what other's think.

4. You can learn how yo repartition your device to increase internal storage (mine's at 6 GB). Head to @metalgearhathaway 's thread to learn how to do it. Read, n READ to understand before you try please.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Reactions: metalgearhathaway

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013
1. In short, wrong move in repartitioning will make your note a nice decoration. Search the thread on the why's.

2. Yes, formatting sd card WILL delete EVERYTHING so at least back up your media files before doing it.

3. This question violates XDA rules. Best Roms are roms that YOU think it's best for you n not what other's think.

4. You can learn how yo repartition your device to increase internal storage (mine's at 6 GB). Head to @metalgearhathaway 's thread to learn how to do it. Read, n READ to understand before you try please.

Sent from my GT-N7000

1. Which .pit file should I choose? "i9100 Preload Area Moddified Pit Files"? "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"? "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"?

2jcavqs.png

2. What is this .pit files actually wipe? This is not only wiping internal sd card, but also external sd card, and the contacts that's saved in my SIM card (the card that represents my phone number and network provider, not for storing files)? Is that it?

3. Which recovery you are using then for N7000?

4. "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" and "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" can be flashed together with custom ROMs? Beanstalk in this case.

Jackwu696

Jan 12, 2014
Jakarta City
1. Which .pit file should I choose? "i9100 Preload Area Moddified Pit Files"? "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"? "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip"?

2jcavqs.png

2. What is this .pit files actually wipe? This is not only wiping internal sd card, but also external sd card, and the contacts that's saved in my SIM card (the card that represents my phone number and network provider, not for storing files)? Is that it?

3. Which recovery you are using then for N7000?

4. "i9100 Pit Files 3GB - 8GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" and "i9100 Pit Files 1GB & 9-12GB Collection by metalgearhathaway.zip" can be flashed together with custom ROMs? Beanstalk in this case.

Sorry was driving just now didn't really read through.

1. Choose between 4 / 6 / 8 GB.
2. I myself preferred the longabout way which is to flash the PIT file with STOCK rom, then reboot recovery, do factory reset and format sd card. After that follow procedure of flashing custom roms.
3. Preload modded are for roms that DO NOT use preload partition such as AOSP. They give you extra +/- 500 MB more free memory. Downside is, if you want to reflash Tw based roms in the future, then you will have to repartitiate again.
4. All procedures use ODIN.
5. Please read the rest of the guide yourself. The OP has shown much effort in writing it down.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013
Sorry was driving just now didn't really read through.

1. Choose between 4 / 6 / 8 GB.
2. I myself preferred the longabout way which is to flash the PIT file with STOCK rom, then reboot recovery, do factory reset and format sd card. After that follow procedure of flashing custom roms.
3. Preload modded are for roms that DO NOT use preload partition such as AOSP. They give you extra +/- 500 MB more free memory. Downside is, if you want to reflash Tw based roms in the future, then you will have to repartitiate again.
4. All procedures use ODIN.
5. Please read the rest of the guide yourself. The OP has shown much effort in writing it down.

Sent from my GT-N7000

What is the most effective way to clean the old system files (apps, system file) without using pit to re-partition?

Jackwu696

Jan 12, 2014
Jakarta City
I am going to flash "philz_touch_6.41.6-n7000.tar.md5" custom recovery now, should I load it in "PDA" column in Odin?

If you flash this recovery, unless you r on stock based kernel, then you must flash a new rom. Why don't u flash
PhilZ-cwm6-XXLTA-ATL-5.15.0-signed.zip in recovery if u want to flash TW based roms or Forest's CM11 kernel if you want to flash KK roms instead of using Odin? What rom were you on now?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Vulturon

Oct 22, 2013
If you flash this recovery, unless you r on stock based kernel, then you must flash a new rom. Why don't u flash
PhilZ-cwm6-XXLTA-ATL-5.15.0-signed.zip in recovery if u want to flash TW based roms or Forest's CM11 kernel if you want to flash KK roms instead of using Odin? What rom were you on now?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Because I want to use the latest version although I see there are fewer files then PhilZ-cwm6-XXLTA-ATL-5.15.0-signed.zip. And I am in stock official recovery now.

I don't know what is TW based or other based ROM, I just know it is based on CyanogenMod. I am going to flash the Beanstalk ROM I mentioned at the first post. http://www.romzj.com/resources/default.html?view=rom&id=14867

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to completely clean it then you can repartition the device with a pit file.

Hai, I agree with @ThaiDai that repartitioning is by far too reckless n risky to clean up the device but I agree with you that formatting internal sd card is enough to do the trick as after formatting it will be cleared of everything. The OP of this topic must mean his leftover uninstalled apps folder as many android apps left their folder "just in case" you want to reinstall the app again. These folders usually contain their setting configuration n in some games the saved game files. Quite harmless but it can be annoying when we open our sd card n there r 'alien' folders
    @Vulturon

Read the last 3 posts and you will find your answer.cheers

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-N7000
    LOL man, you can just point out what mistakes I've made, I didn't mean to challenge you or anything I just don't want to waste money on testing or modifying the phone's OS, so I asked many questions to make sure I do nothing wrong, the phone is expensive man. I thank for your help, if you have nothing to tell me or nothing to advise, so be it.

Okay firstly, I'm not indicating nor showing any sign of being challenged. Secondly, your biggest 'mistake' is violating xda universal rule that is "SEARCH before asking". Thirdly, you are NOT going to waste money if you do a thorough search of what u r going to do but You WILL PROBABLY gonna spend some money IF you do things blindfolded as you are right now. And finally as I said before, all developers and guides wrote their instruction carefully and as easily understood by others as possible. Not even wanting to read n understand those instructions is just as simple as being disrespectful n that's why I said IF you r unlucky, you might earn some of the most gruesome sarcasm. You don't need to tell me the phone's expensive as u can see, I USE one and still using one till now. Anyway enough of the OT.

Sent from my GT-N7000