CWM Recovery Test for MediaPad

Search This thread

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
CWM 5.8.0.9 for Huawei MediaPad

WARNING !!! DON'T FORMAT AND DON'T WIPE PARTITIONS USING THESE CWM !

I don't know how much this CWM version improves over the existing one by segler11.
However these build were more aimed at compiling and testing the new kernel sources.

I have tested compiling with both arm-eabi-4.4.0 and arm-eabi-4.4.3 with success on Ubuntu 10.04.

This is experimental, however with the new kernel sources it will just be a matter of time.

I have compiled the kernel included in this CWM recovery image but I didn't recompile the complete image.
I took as base Pyramid CWM 5.8.0.9 and I replaced the files from those found on a stock C232B005 kernel.
As the default build configuration I have used the /proc/config.gz of a C232B005 running kernel.

I have tested this CWM to be able to backup these partitions (I have not tested "restore" yet, just checked the tar archives):

• boot.img - 12.582.912 (match 12Mb)
  • recovery.img - 16.777.216 (match 16Mb)
  • data.ext4.tar
  • cache.ext4.tar
  • system.ext4.tar
  • custom.ext4.tar
as you can see my hand tweaks to "recovery" require the name of "cust" partition to be "custom" instead but I believe this is a no issue while you backup and restore with the same CWM. Suggestions welcome.

BUGS:
  • data & time on archives are wrong
  • mount USB storage does not work
  • adb not enabled in recovery mode
  • Formats and Wipes do not work don't use them
The "busybox hwclock" applet doesn't work to set the hardware clock of our device.

The "adb shell" is not active while in CWM recovery, I don't know why and this was my objective so if you have suggestion please help.

As usual flash both "recovery" and "recovery2" partitions using "fastboot" and one of the attached CWM recovery:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
fastboot flash recovery2 recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
fastboot reboot

.:HWMOD:.

Attachments

• recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.0.img
    6.3 MB · Views: 22,470
  • recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
    6.2 MB · Views: 23,340

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
This version seemed to work better for me.Tnx dude!

Thank you for trying it.

Remember to absolutely avoid formatting or wiping partitions.

If you need to format/wipe do it ONLY after reinstalling the original "recovery.img" in both "recovery" and "recovery2" partitions and then reset the device from:

"Settings -> Backup and reset -> Factory reset"

ATTENTION !!! You can safely do a wipe or factory reset only after reinstalling the original recovery image.

Sorry for insisting but I don't want to create problems on users devices and I know those operations will create problems.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Just a note: I used your 4.4.3 version to try making a nandroid backup last night. Good news and bad news.

This morning I inspected the result using the app Nandroid Browser.

Good: Your CWM does successfully backup /data/data. The other CWM that had been posted here did not do so properly.

Bad: Your CWM also backs up the entire internal SD storage contents inside the folder /data/share. It is customary *not* to include this in a nandroid backup because a) you don't want to inflate the file size unnecessarily, and b) you don't want to overwrite the internal SD on a restore.

Idea: After you fix it, and until you manage to get ADB over USB working, maybe you could add a menu option to make a separate backup archive of internal SD to external SD. This would allow a route to save the internal storage if the device becomes unbootable and requires a data wipe.

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Just a note: I used your 4.4.3 version to try making a nandroid backup last night. Good news and bad news.

This morning I inspected the result using the app Nandroid Browser.

Good: Your CWM does successfully backup /data/data. The other CWM that had been posted here did not do so properly.

Bad: Your CWM also backs up the entire internal SD storage contents inside the folder /data/share. It is customary *not* to include this in a nandroid backup because a) you don't want to inflate the file size unnecessarily, and b) you don't want to overwrite the internal SD on a restore.

Idea: After you fix it, and until you manage to get ADB over USB working, maybe you could add a menu option to make a separate backup archive of internal SD to external SD. This would allow a route to save the internal storage if the device becomes unbootable and requires a data wipe.

Thank you for trying it. I wanted to compile/test a kernel with new sources in a CWM.

Yes, in our device the internal memory "/mnt/sdcard" is also mapped under "/data/share".

Unfortunately I don't have the skills (yet) to build a complete recovery image from scratch,
so what I did was just compiling the kernel part of the recovery image, using the new sources.

Then I simply hex tweaked the "recovery" executable of a 5.8.0.9 Pyramid CWM (HTC Sensation).
So, in conclusion, I have no control over what is copied during the backup process of those partitions.
Though I could control which partition is processed by removing them from "fstab", but there is no gain into it.

We will have to wait somebody with the specific knowledge, or maybe I will have some time to learn once I return from holidays.

.dredd.

Oct 9, 2006
Budapest
Hi,

Is it possible to flash update zips from this CWM recovery (like Beats Audio which is in flashable zip format)?
I don't want to use it for backup-recovery.

...and how about doing wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache?

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
Hi,

Is it possible to flash update zips from this CWM recovery (like Beats Audio which is in flashable zip format)?
I don't want to use it for backup-recovery.

...and how about doing wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache?

Haven't tried installing a ".zip" archive from CWM but it should work.

Avoid "wiping" and/or "formatting" partitions, they will be messed up.

.dredd.

Oct 9, 2006
Budapest
Haven't tried installing a ".zip" archive from CWM but it should work.

Avoid "wiping" and/or "formatting" partitions, they will be messed up.

The main reason for use of CWM would be to have the possibility of flashing update zips from CWM... but I am afraid of messing up my device... to understand: no problem if I have to reflash the rom but I would not want to cause mistake which could be repaired only by service.:(

441Excelsior

May 6, 2012
fastboot is always available if something goes wrong :) and if you flash cwm you wont be able to install official roms because cwm will overwrite stock recovery

byt3b0mb

Oct 8, 2009
Seattle
so i was stupid and wiped data and cache - then remembered that it said not to - how do i fix this paperweight? i tried fastbooting all the usual partitions (system, boot, userdata, cache, etc) but still nothing - i can get to fastboot but i cant flash any dload updates. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

byt3b0mb

Oct 8, 2009
Seattle
flashed three different stock recoveries to recovery and recovery2 - still only get the media pad logo twice (flashed androidani intl rom before bricking) cant boot to recovery - think the partition table is screwed. is there a way to create partitions from fastboot, and if so, still would be nice to know the names of the partitions to flash as referenced in tmo stock thread.

Last edited:

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
flashed three different stock recoveries to recovery and recovery2 - still only get the media pad logo twice (flashed androidani intl rom before bricking) cant boot to recovery - think the partition table is screwed. is there a way to create partitions from fastboot, and if so, still would be nice to know the names of the partitions to flash as referenced in tmo stock thread.

The time needed to reformat and rewrite all the firmware partitions (the first time) will be between 10-15 minutes.

Be patient and give enough time to the device to execute all the needed processes.

When the device finally boot it need to completely regenerate dalvik-cache (the first time).

So try again as instructed above, rewrite "BOTH" partitions named "recovery" and "recovery2", both using the same "recovery.img" file found in the latest stock Huawei firmware.

Now extract the stock Huawei firmware archive on your PC and copy the "dload" folder on an empty formatted SDCard, then insert the SDCard in the MediaPad reboot it and wait until success or failure message.

If you wiped partitions you will have to wait more time (20-30m). It may be that after waiting a while a message about "Encryption not possible" could appear, just say no to encryption and let it reset the device.

It already happened to some of us so hope you are also able to recover your tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: byt3b0mb

byt3b0mb

Oct 8, 2009
Seattle
thanks i will give it a shot - while it is rewriting partitions, should it be on the huawei logo? or should i see the android / gears turning?

hwmod

Dec 12, 2011
Verona
thanks i will give it a shot - while it is rewriting partitions, should it be on the huawei logo? or should i see the android / gears turning?

First time restoration takes time on both moments during the 1st Huawei log and even during animation.

Trying to recover a partition that was wiped takes much longer for the OS to show the error.

When I tried wiping "data" and rebooted the device I recall I went for a long walk and when I returned the device was showing the "Encryption failure / Reset" message (about half an hour later).

So I can only suggest that when you retry you wait at least that amount of time (30 min.) with charger connected, whatever happens leave it alone until it display or ask you do something. Let me know if it works when you have tried.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWM 5.8.0.9 for Huawei MediaPad

I don't know how much this CWM version improves over the existing one by segler11.
    However these build were more aimed at compiling and testing the new kernel sources.

I have tested compiling with both arm-eabi-4.4.0 and arm-eabi-4.4.3 with success on Ubuntu 10.04.

This is experimental, however with the new kernel sources it will just be a matter of time.

I have compiled the kernel included in this CWM recovery image but I didn't recompile the complete image.
    I took as base Pyramid CWM 5.8.0.9 and I replaced the files from those found on a stock C232B005 kernel.
    As the default build configuration I have used the /proc/config.gz of a C232B005 running kernel.

I have tested this CWM to be able to backup these partitions (I have not tested "restore" yet, just checked the tar archives):

• boot.img - 12.582.912 (match 12Mb)
    • recovery.img - 16.777.216 (match 16Mb)
    • data.ext4.tar
    • cache.ext4.tar
    • system.ext4.tar
    • custom.ext4.tar
    as you can see my hand tweaks to "recovery" require the name of "cust" partition to be "custom" instead but I believe this is a no issue while you backup and restore with the same CWM. Suggestions welcome.

BUGS:
    • data & time on archives are wrong
    • mount USB storage does not work
    • adb not enabled in recovery mode
    • Formats and Wipes do not work don't use them
    The "busybox hwclock" applet doesn't work to set the hardware clock of our device.

The "adb shell" is not active while in CWM recovery, I don't know why and this was my objective so if you have suggestion please help.

As usual flash both "recovery" and "recovery2" partitions using "fastboot" and one of the attached CWM recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
    fastboot flash recovery2 recovery-5.8.0.9-HWMOD-eabi-4.4.3.img
    fastboot reboot

Today i have builded bootable CWM 5.5.0.4 from sources, so now we can adjust all what we need :)
    HI, can anyone share buckup from working device created by CWM.?
    Thanks to all.
    flash stock recovery (2 files) from zipped rom via fastboot and then you should be able to flash stock rom

The time needed to reformat and rewrite all the firmware partitions (the first time) will be between 10-15 minutes.

Be patient and give enough time to the device to execute all the needed processes.

When the device finally boot it need to completely regenerate dalvik-cache (the first time).

So try again as instructed above, rewrite "BOTH" partitions named "recovery" and "recovery2", both using the same "recovery.img" file found in the latest stock Huawei firmware.

Now extract the stock Huawei firmware archive on your PC and copy the "dload" folder on an empty formatted SDCard, then insert the SDCard in the MediaPad reboot it and wait until success or failure message.

If you wiped partitions you will have to wait more time (20-30m). It may be that after waiting a while a message about "Encryption not possible" could appear, just say no to encryption and let it reset the device.

It already happened to some of us so hope you are also able to recover your tablet.