Spigen Crystal Shell [NEW CASE]

Search This thread

arzbhatia

Jun 7, 2011
www.arzbhatia.com
So, Spigen just announced the Cystal Shell for the Nexus 5 - $9.99 + $3 Shipping. Also includes clear screen protector. What do you think?

fitshell.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PROTECTION-Sp...s=nexus+5+case+spigen+ultra+fit+crystal+shell

Reactions: chrone and Master05

Khaiyan

Jul 25, 2012
Looks great in the render but I imagine it will attract finger prints and oil VERY easily. Will look horrible on the black one for sure, unless you are willing to wipe it down every 5 minutes.

I was really hoping they would release a frosted/matte acrylic one. Clear plastic is the worst way to go :/

Master05

Aug 28, 2008
That thing is going to scratch like a mofo with no feet on the bottom.

what's worse, the case possibly(!) getting scratched or the back of the phone.

This case looks very sexy, you can directly press the hardwarebuttons.

Gonna order it was soon as it's available in my country.

I was hoping for a case like this :fingers-crossed:

domenicop

Dec 18, 2012
That thing is going to scratch like a mofo with no feet on the bottom.

It's protected on the bottom if you see the renders. The one when it appears without protection it's just a render.
I think it looks great form the renders. Would have to see it live before to buy it though.
I ordered a cheap one from the bay, just to wait something more valuable to hit the market.
Good to see that new ideas are still taking form.

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
Guys guys, it's made of polycarbonate. Not acrylic.

It will still scratches, but not as bad as acrylics

domenicop

Dec 18, 2012
I've been looking at the renders. If set your phone down with the screen facing up, the case is going to get scratched up because there is no little feet to give it clearance.

*edit*

I also don't think the corners will be well protected against a drop.

I didn't understood you were actually worrying about the case being scratched. Sorry. :rolleyes:

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
If the case was frosted or came in matte colors (black or white) I'd be all over it. Clear poly-carbonate has too many aesthetic downsides for me, great design though.

Nocturnal86

Jul 22, 2012
Los Angeles
Initial hands on!!

I just got it and it looks great imo and it feels just as good and no sharp edges do to the full protection on the sides which is great! The back does leave some small "water marks" on the back where the plastic meets the phone kinda like on my ultra hybrid but not so bad I dont like it but idk if thats normal or not? However I think I found a serious issues... the camera and led cut out are a bit off center thats not the biggest problem about it though. Due to the deepness of the LED cut out and material of the case when the flash goes it lights up the entire case! It looks cool and all but that is not supposed to happen cause that means that the case is blocking out the light from the LED then it refracts into the case material and on top of that when I take pictures with flash you get back flash and the pictures turned washed out...:(

Idk if this is just me or my case is defective but I contacted spigen on amazon about the issues and hopefully theyll get back to me soon. I personally think the only way to remedy this is to make the cut out bigger or to bevel the cut outs or to make the camera and LED cutout a complete one ( Which I wouldnt like but should fix it)

Anyone that has this let me know if you have the same problems and if you do message them!!!! Hopefully they can get a revision of this soon!
On a side note if they ever came out with a frost or solid matte finish one that had all the kinks worked out it would be way way better than the "standard" slim cases from ringke and spigen cause the fit and size is awesome! It would be my go to case no question.

The pics attached is showing the issue with the flash on and clashing with the case and lighting it up! \/\/\/\/

Attachments

• IMG_20131112_120427.jpg
    IMG_20131112_120427.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 2,404
  • IMG_20131112_120436.jpg
    IMG_20131112_120436.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 2,292
Last edited:

Khaiyan

Jul 25, 2012
I just got it and it looks great imo and it feels just as good and no sharp edges do to the full protection on the sides which is great! The back does leave some small "water marks" on the back where the plastic meets the phone kinda like on my ultra hybrid but not so bad I dont like it but idk if thats normal or not? However I think I found a serious issues... the camera and led cut out are a bit off center thats not the biggest problem about it though. Due to the deepness of the LED cut out and material of the case when the flash goes it lights up the entire case! It looks cool and all but that is not supposed to happen cause that means that the case is blocking out the light from the LED then it refracts into the case material and on top of that when I take pictures with flash you get back flash and the pictures turned washed out...:(

Idk if this is just me or my case is defective but I contacted spigen on amazon about the issues and hopefully theyll get back to me soon. I personally think the only way to remedy this is to make the cut out bigger or to bevel the cut outs or to make the camera and LED cutout a complete one ( Which I wouldnt like but should fix it)

Anyone that has this let me know if you have the same problems and if you do message them!!!! Hopefully they can get a revision of this soon!
On a side note if they ever came out with a frost or solid matte finish one that had all the kinks worked out it would be way way better than the "standard" slim cases from ringke and spigen cause the fit and size is awesome! It would be my go to case no question.

Could you take some pics in darker lighting please? :)

I agree with your point about a matte, frosted look. Spigen would never go with it though. It has to be their way.

Nocturnal86

Jul 22, 2012
Los Angeles
Could you take some pics in darker lighting please? :)

I agree with your point about a matte, frosted look. Spigen would never go with it though. It has to be their way.

That was pretty dark lighting and I think you can see fairly easily that the flash lights up the case like a Christmas light! That should not happen even if it looks cool lol

Im hoping they realize how good a matte or frost one would be and if they ever decide to make one ill buy it asap. For now I hope they fix the problem with this case.

Reactions: SplitCold

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

The pics attached is showing the issue with the flash on and clashing with the case and lighting it up! \/\/\/\/

Has it affected any of your photos?

shaqspaere

Oct 25, 2011

Cool. Tron-Phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got the case and so far I like but I need to use it for a few days to see how I really feel. Just a few quick pics
    u2amesuz.jpg
    y2uju6em.jpg
    a3eta5am.jpg
    ymevama9.jpg
    9a5u8uva.jpg

>^·^< Sent From Meow LG G2
    Initial hands on!!

No more eyerolling! but this is the best I can do and only have a N4 for pictures... so dont complain! lol
    So, Spigen just announced the Cystal Shell for the Nexus 5 - $9.99 + $3 Shipping. Also includes clear screen protector. What do you think?

fitshell.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PROTECTION-Sp...s=nexus+5+case+spigen+ultra+fit+crystal+shell
    Do keep in mind that these Spigen Crystal cases are identical to ones found on eBay for $1. It's been the case for their crystal and slim cases for quite some time now.

can you show me a link to the ebay cases?

I've yet to see a knock off crystal case that protects the top and bottom like the spigen crystal shell case does.