[Q] Disappointing battery life.

Search This thread

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
I heard good reviews about battery life of Moto G but mine's battery life is disappointing, could you please see my stats and tell me if its normal or something is wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-21-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-21-39.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 627
  • Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-21-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-21-45.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 526
  • Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-22-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-16-10-22-28.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

There can be many factors why battery life is that worse. Bad programmed apps, Wifi always on, screen time, call duration, running background processes and so on. Most times i switch my data connection off if i don't need it. I run my phone since 2 days and 8 hours and my battery is on 9% at the moment. As i see your wifi was always on. Try switching it off.

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
There can be many factors why battery life is that worse. Bad programmed apps, Wifi always on, screen time, call duration, running background processes and so on. Most times i switch my data connection off if i don't need it. I run my phone since 2 days and 8 hours and my battery is on 9% at the moment. As i see your wifi was always on. Try switching it off.

Screen on time is around 4 hours, I haven't called even for a second or used my data connection yet, but I keep wifi always on because I thought it causes lesser battery drain.

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

How can always wifi on cause lesser battery drain?
Don't know, sounds unlogical to me.

4 hours screen on? Phuu........did not try it but i guess it is normal if you have your screen 4 hours on.
What are you expecting? Switching everyting on and then have a two days battery life?

See yourself on your graph how battery got better when screen was off. Now switch off wifi and try again.

In my opinion i don't see any problem with your phone.
Maybe someone might correct me if someone feels that i am .....

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
How can always wifi on cause lesser battery drain?
Don't know, sounds unlogical to me.

4 hours screen on? Phuu........did not try it but i guess it is normal if you have your screen 4 hours on.
What are you expecting? Switching everyting on and then have a two days battery life?

See yourself on your graph how battery got better when screen was off. Now switch off wifi and try again.

In my opinion i don't see any problem with your phone.
Maybe someone might correct me if someone feels that i am .....

I thought Wifi uses lesser battery than 3G and I expected 20 hours battery atleast.

darkeingel

Apr 7, 2010
Bucharest
Install BetterBatteryStats and see if there's any wakelocks that are eating your battery at the moment.

Also, about your on screen time - what's the settings for brightness that you use? You might want to consider dropping the "auto" and go for a reasonable low level of brightness that fits your indoor or outdoor activities.

Your assumption of WiFi eating less batter than data connection is correct in most of the cases.

Anyway, if you have any doubts about this... an average NOTE3 user can't get to those 3h 30minutes with on screen time :D

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Install BetterBatteryStats and see if there's any wakelocks that are eating your battery at the moment.

Also, about your on screen time - what's the settings for brightness that you use? You might want to consider dropping the "auto" and go for a reasonable low level of brightness that fits your indoor or outdoor activities.

Your assumption of WiFi eating less batter than data connection is correct in most of the cases.

Anyway, if you have any doubts about this... an average NOTE3 user can't get to those 3h 30minutes with on screen time :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2538691

Your battery is normal with so much screen on time.

quizmaniac

Jan 11, 2014
It does look disappointing,i get a lot more than that but mine is rooted and greenified and set up how i like it.

Im currently on 1d 18h and have 39% left with 4 hour screen time and that's with a mixture of wifi and 3G.

i enable airplane mode overnight though which only uses 1% in 8 hours.

tje1991

Jan 21, 2014
I'd say that's normal battery life for this phone here's mine for today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-18-20-13-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-18-20-13-13.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_2014-03-18-20-14-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-18-20-14-50.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 169

ZoomahZoomah

Jan 30, 2013
I'd agree with the previous post.
I've been on a WiFi network for the past 7 hours.

uploadfromtaptalk1395188033643.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395188067424.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395188083383.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

svetievboris

Oct 17, 2012
Battery life has been disappointing ever since smart phones got on the market... Oh good old Nokia 3310 how I miss your battery performance :D
Seriously something needs to be invented, this cannot be tolerated any longer.

Sent from my Grand X In using Tapatalk

ZoomahZoomah

Jan 30, 2013
Battery life has been disappointing ever since smart phones got on the market... Oh good old Nokia 3310 how I miss your battery performance :D
Seriously something needs to be invented, this cannot be tolerated any longer.

Sent from my Grand X In using Tapatalk

LOL. I miss my old Nokia too but face it. That old Nokia had a tiny screen and did little more than phone calls and texts.
I've had a few androids and The G is by far the best in terms of battery life.
I miss my indistructable Nokia but I wouldn't go back

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
Motorola is advertising this phone as all day battery phone so shouldn't it last more than 12/14 hours.

Last edited:

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

A car manufacturer also advertises his car with 500 km per full fuel tank. But if you drive all the time with 170 km/h per hour over the highway then this statement can also not be applyed anymore. As i said, i switch on wifi only when i need it and thats the same with data. I had a battery life for nearly 72 hours. Ok i made also less calls in that time. But it is all about your usage. I for my opinion can not find any problem as i said already. Motorola advertised nowhere that you can use your phone under "full load" for a whole day. This is called marketing in todays world. If you be believe everything what advertisement says then you seem for me very naive....... you should think about that ;)

Last edited:

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
A car manufacturer also advertises his car with 500 km per full fuel tank. But if you drive all the time with 170 km/h per hour over the highway then this statement can also not be applyed anymore. As i said, i switch on wifi only when i need it and thats the same with data. I had a battery life for nearly 72 hours. Ok i made also less calls in that time. But it is all about your usage. I for my opinion can not find any problem as i said already. Motorola advertised nowhere that you can use your phone under "full load" for a whole day. This is called marketing in todays world. If you be believe everything what advertisement says then you seem for me very naive....... you should think about that ;)

Atleast the reviews said it last more than a day and I didn't used the phone under full load, just the Wifi was on all the time which uses lesser battery than 3G and I did 0 calls.

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

It might be true that 3G uses lesser than WI-FI, but what is that for a comparison? You can not compare WIFI and 3G because it is a completly different technology for different purposes. 3G Data uses a lot of Battery that's true. But WIFI also but less than 3G. But this statement doesn't mean that WiFi uses nearly no Battery. It uses only less. If 3G uses 100 parts energy and WiFi uses 85 parts energy out of 100 then it is less. But 85 is still a lot out of hundred. I quoted full load, just as a general statement. I know you had not switched on Bluetooth and so on. But anyway, Dataconnections are a expensive feature in relation to battery life.

Did your review tell you the exact conditions they tested it under? Or did they just say that without any proove? Also Tests and reviews are often copy and paste bull****. If i see an Antivirus test and the Userinterface is tested bad but the userinterface has a 45% weight in the all over test then i would say this is a crap test.

buntysatya

Jul 21, 2012
It might be true that 3G uses lesser than WI-FI, but what is that for a comparison? You can not compare WIFI and 3G because it is a completly different technology for differnet purposes. 3G Data uses a lot of Battery that's true. But WIFI also but less than 3G. But this statement doesn't mean that WiFi uses nearly no Battery. It uses unly less. If 3G uses 100 parts energy and WiFi uses 85 Parts energy out of 100 then it is less. But 85 is still a lot out of hundred. I quoted full load, just as a general statement. I know you had not switched on Bluetooth and so on. But anyway, Dataconnections are a expensive feature in relation Battery life.

Did your review tell you the exact conditions they tested it under? Or did they just say that without any proove? Also Tests and reviews are often copy and paste bull****. If i see an Antivirus test and the Userinterface is tested bad but the userinterface has a 45% weight in the all over test then i would say this is a crap test.

Yes see the gsmarena battery test I've attached, my phone doesn't even come near to its battery life :(

Attachments

• gsmarena_101.jpg
    gsmarena_101.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 70

fatboyslimerr

Nov 7, 2013
Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot but I have a stock (not rooted) Moto G that loses excessive amounts of battery with Aeroplane mode on!
What can possibly be causing such excessive battery drain - 50% -> 7% in 6 hours with no screen on or data or wifi.

Thanks

tje1991

Jan 21, 2014
Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot but I have a stock (not rooted) Moto G that loses excessive amounts of battery with Aeroplane mode on!
What can possibly be causing such excessive battery drain - 50% -> 7% in 6 hours with no screen on or data or wifi.

Thanks

Hi that's a lot of drain i'd say theres some rogue process that runs even in airplane mode with no internet killing the battery i'll attach a screenshot of mine from last night this is with network on but WiFi and data off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-19-08-52-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-08-52-38.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine moto g goes for about 2 and a half days with moderate usage and 1 and a half with some heavy usage.

At first I noticed that it drained faster, but then I unticked google+ synchronisation (I don't need it) and things got better. Also after I installed trustgo I didn't finished setup process and application stayed on. It drained my battery in few hours. After I finished setup all went back to normal.

I think it must be some application you have that drains your battery. Also set location settings to battery saving. If you upgraded to kitkat you should have process stats under developer options in settings. It may help also.

Cheers!
    Moto G marathon champ

My XT1032 probably needs a refill every 3 days or so - after a day of normal* usage, the battery was down to 83% for me once. As I only have my phone since last Friday, I cannot really say that I have got an accurate data sample at hand yet, though. And I recharge it every evening so that I can build up a routine in order not to forget this.

The battery life might also in part be affected positively by me not signing into my google account and disabling 3G data (I only activate this feature when I need it).

Being my first smart phone, the performance of the battery is far better than I expected and I honestly have to say that I am really pleased.

* normal (that is, normal for me) = being connected to a wireless network most of the day, email updates every 15 minutes plus some mailing, some browsing - maybe 1 hour per day - and very few phone calls. So far one outgoing and one incoming, lol
    That and using the alarm feature and occasionally checking the weather and other stuff and playing around with the system and apps in general pretty sums up my usage.
    Don't wanna root, thinking about asking for a replacement, my battery dropped 9% in 6 hours with everything off just network standby.

Are you using GPS, or have you used GPS and not rebooted your phone. It is a known problem that often, after using GPS, your phone will drain battery at 1.5% per hour above normal and only a reboot fixed it. Eg on airplane mode rather than losing nothing it will lose 1.5% per hour.

Switch to 'battery saving' location, then reboot and see how it goes.