RCS not working?

Search This thread

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
Has anyone else had RCS in Google messages stop working? All of the sudden it says chat features aren't available for my device...

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
RCS is a poor excuse for a joke on Android users. It is not viable and will never be. Forget it and use some other platform for what you want like WhatsApp or Signal. One day you have RCS (whatever they claim it to be) and then you wake up and it's gone for good. That's why Apple is where it is, it works for everyone no hacks needed.

Reactions: alwynjoshy

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
RCS has been fine for me after a few hiccups. If it says connecting you could try switching to airplane mode and turning it off and that does the trick sometimes. If it doesn't work then you'd need to turn airplane mode on and force stop carrier services and clear data/cache. Then force stop messenger and clear data and cache and turn airplane mode off and launch messenger again and that will do it. RCS on the Pixel 4/4XL is actually being handled by Google vs our carriers this time around. So hopefully Google gets their act together and gets RCS to work for everyone without issues.

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
for some reason I had to reflash the factory image for February, this is a warranty replacement and out of the box it just was buggy but everything is perfect now

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Who in their right mind would do that? If it doesn't work bag it Google.

People that aren't aboard the RCS hate train and don't want to use WhatsApp or other third party chat apps. I get it, you don't like RCS and I don't blame you. It's still in its infancy and will take some time to get up and running universally. It takes me a whole 20-30 seconds to do what I described in my post. I haven't had to do it for months now and RCS has been rock solid for me. Hopefully overtime it will be ironed out even further and it'll work how it's supposed to right out of the box without any tinkering.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
It's no so much the hate train as it is the lame train. If it doesn't work for everyone it doesn't work. Figure it out and then roll it out. How hard would that be to do? Yes, it's a novel concept but they should give it a try.

The point about doing the hack is that 99% of users would never do that. And the carriers could not care less and are working on their own implementation. So basically it's going nowhere. No hate just reality.

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
The carriers and so many Android devices, it's a pain yes... apple has one company, a web of the same devices, so iMessage is so universql and easily implemented. if every device shipped with Android messages by default that would fix a big part of it I think... but Android is open source and and every manufacturer wants to add their own touch

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
No problems here. "Chat message" shows up in the few people I know that have it working. I do know it sometimes doesn't work on WiFi depending on the network. The hospital I work at, for example, drops out to regular text.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Heh, I guess that explains why my RCS went way... I have Verizon physical sim and FI e-sim.

Good to know. Did it come back without hassle when removing the 2nd sim?
Give it a try. I'm reluctant to erase my Fi eSim simply because their tech support is atrocious and if something happens I'm on my own. But the Verizon sim is easy to pop out and in. I believe it will work but that's really not a good answer or great scenario.

Reactions: CyberpodS2

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've had issues with media being compressed even though RCS is enabled for both phones. Dark blue bubbles and everything but photos and videos are heavily compressed. The other sender is on Verizon. Is there any known issues with Verizon?

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

No problems here. "Chat message" shows up in the few people I know that have it working. I do know it sometimes doesn't work on WiFi depending on the network. The hospital I work at, for example, drops out to regular text.

Can you check the size of the photos you've sent and received recently? I noticed some degradation and sure enough when I checked the file size it's compressed even though RCS is connected, enabled and my chat bubbles are dark blue. At first I noticed it from a Verizon carrier but now I'm noticing it to other carriers to.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've had issues with media being compressed even though RCS is enabled for both phones. Dark blue bubbles and everything but photos and videos are heavily compressed. The other sender is on Verizon. Is there any known issues with Verizon?

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Can you check the size of the photos you've sent and received recently? I noticed some degradation and sure enough when I checked the file size it's compressed even though RCS is connected, enabled and my chat bubbles are dark blue. At first I noticed it from a Verizon carrier but now I'm noticing it to other carriers to.

So just tested both video (45 and 20 seconds of 4K) and picture sending over RCS. Looks like the resolution decrease big time to only 852x480. I could've sworn they were larger. Quality during playback was fine though. Pictures came out 1600x1200 and looked fine as well. We're both on Sprint.

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So just tested both video (45 and 20 seconds of 4K) and picture sending over RCS. Looks like the resolution decrease big time to only 852x480. I could've sworn they were larger. Quality during playback was fine though. Pictures came out 1600x1200 and looked fine as well. We're both on Sprint.

What was the size of the file of the photo?

Top Liked Posts