.621 Root Method - For new OTA Update

Search This thread

frankc123

Oct 7, 2011
***Root method for .621 update***
THIS IS FOR USERS WITH THE .621 UPDATE ONLY. IF YOU HAVE NOT UPDATED DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.
*****DO NOT USE WINDOWS*****DO NOT USE RSDLITE*****

Instructs are made by Skelente

1.) Download the latest Ubuntu iso for your system. Most processors these days are 64 bit, but if you're running on an older computer or do not know if you have a 32 or 64 bit processor I'd recommend doing 32 bit just to be safe (64 bit processors can run both 32 and 64 bit distributions, but 32 bit systems cannot run 64 bit distributions.) Side note: you can download other distributions, but if you do you will not be able to create the persistent drive using the USB method. It should also be noted that some older systems cannot boot from USB, most newer systems (post 2000/2001 IIRC) can boot from USB, however you should consult Google to verify for your system.

2.) Burn the iso:
2.a If you have a cd burner and blank disc, this is the easiest method but, again, you will not have a persistent drive you will just have a Live CD. Use an iso burner to burn to cd, then skip to step 3a.
2.b If you do not have a burner, a blank disc (or don't feel like wasting a DVD disc) but have a free USB drive (with at least 2 GB of memory, bit overkill but it has to be big enough to hold the iso + changes + the persistent "drive") then I recommend downloading either unetbootin or universal USB installer. Go to either web site and follow their instructions. If you use Ubuntu, you'll have the option of creating a persistent drive, which is basically a fake-partition that allows you to save files to when you reboot Linux after running this Live USB. I would recommend using a persistent size of at least 200 mb so we can save the SBF file and sbf_flash. If you created a persistent drive go to step 4. If you opted out of this, skip to step 4.

3.a So you have a Live CD now. If you have a spare flash drive, load up the 604 SBF and sbf_flash. Either way, you'll need to proceed to booting into linux, go to step 4.
3.b Once the respective application has finished, copy the SBF and sbf_flash file to the persistent drive listed in windows.

4. Now we need to boot from your Live image. Restart your computer. When your computer is booting up it should give you two options, "Enter BIOS" and "Select Boot Order" or similar. For my Lenovo Laptop, I can hit F12 to change the boot order, and from there I can select my USB port and it'll boot from there. If you do not see a boot order option, you will need to go into your bios and change the boot order manually. Again, you will need consult Google for this as the menu selections vary by system. It really isn't that hard to figure out if you go through the menus, but I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend and encourage you to google your motherboard's manual to verify what you need to change if you don't know what you are doing. You are responsible for any changes you make on your system. Your BIOS is crucial for your system to function properly. Once you have found where to change your boot order, select the respective drive (USB, or your CD/DVD drive). These will be listed by the manufacture name (so SamsungXXXX for a Samsung drive or PNYXXXX if you're using a PNY usb stick.)

5. When Ubuntu boots up, it'll give you an option to run "Live" from the CD/USB. Select this option. Installing to your hard drive could mess up your current OS install, and I'm not going to get into partitioning here. Once you've gotten into Ubuntu, select "Dash Home" in the upper left hand corner, and then type terminal in the search box. Click terminal, then open it up.

6. Now you'll need to get to where ever you have the SBF and sbf_flash stored through the terminal. If you chose to use the boot cd, and did not have an available flash drive, you will need to download the SBF from here, as well as sbf_flash and then extract them to the same folder. The default is "Downloads" and I recommend just extracting them to that directory for simplicity.
6.a If you had to download the SBF/sbf_flash, getting there through terminal is rather easy. All you'll need to do is type these commands into the terminal:
cd Downloads
chmod +x sbf_flash

./sbf_flash mb809-2.3.5.sbf

And then let the program do it's work. When it's done, go to step 7.

6.b If you already copied the required files to a USB drive, we need to get there through terminal. Type these commands:
cd /
cd /media/
ls (This command will list all the drives connected to your system, cdrom, usb, etc. If you used the Universal USB installer it will list the USB drive as "PENDRIVE", I'm not sure what the default is for Unetbootin but you should be able to figure it out and if you just used a spare device it could be completely random.)
cd drivename (obvioiusly this will vary based on the USB method, for me its "cd PENDRIVE"
If your files were just on the main drive, you don't need to do anything else but the following commands. If you put them in another folder, you will need to do "cd foldername" without the quotes obviously. When you're in the directory with both the SBF and sbf_flash you will need to do these commands (again, ignoring the '-'):

chmod +x sbf_flash

7.) After sbf_flash is done, you'll need to restart your computer. Its recommended you remove your boot media (cd or usb drive) so that Windows can boot normally. If you changed the boot order in bios you will need to change it back to what it was before, otherwise whenever you have a CD/USB stick plugged in your computer will automatically try to boot from it, and get pissy if it can't boot from the media.

8.) Once you're back in windows you'll need to run the zergrushv4 root method. From there you can do whatever you want. You still cannot SBF to previous versions (602 or 605) and you cannot run Froyo roms.

Downloads:
sbf_flash
SBF File & root tools

*HELP*
If you flashed with RSD Lite and have no data here is your options...
Flash stock .621 sbf and...
Switch devices on your account to reactivate the data
or
Call verizon to have them reporvision your data...

Once you are on the milestone system you can flash a custom rom.

Last edited:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
You must SBF in Linux using sbf_flash, otherwise .604's radio will flash over .621's and your phone will no longer be able to take or place phone calls.

Edit: It may just be data, instead of phone capabilities. But still, flashing in Linux is much easier than having to spend time with Verizon's incompetent phone operators.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skelente

Aug 17, 2011
If you SBF'd using RSD Lite, you flashed the 605 baseband over the 621. I didn't think this would mess up texts/phone calls but just your data connection, but correct me if I'm wrong I'm just going from memory (I had a dx2, just been watching the threads.) This was a big problem for the people over at rootz and they had a few different tactics on how to solve it. Some were able to call VZW and ask the tech support to "re-provision their data" although that was with mixed results (it depended who ya got on the phone, some people had no luck and other people had their data start back up no problems.) You would need to sbf back to 621 and call from a separate phone, however. Another user (skreelink) theorized that it was merely the AUTH code that was being messed up, and suggested that (for those with a secondary smart phone) you just go onto VZW.com, switch out phones for your number, wait 15 minutes, then go back to the website and switch back to your DX. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success with the latter but I know the former worked for a handful of people (with others getting tech support who had no idea what they were talking about.) If you call and don't get someone knowledgeable, I'd just cross your fingers and call back another time and hope you get someone different.

Reactions: hushpup131

frankc123

Oct 7, 2011
yea i learned about the radio the hard way, but i found a quick fix... maybe...
If you flashed with windows and now cant get data if you have a old smartphone that is compatible with you plan just go online and switch devices and then switch them back. Saves from having to call verizon :) But some people may not have a extra

bamx2

Apr 17, 2010
I am probably one of those people who will also need to use this alternative root method but I have a question -

I have been recently acquainted to this dilemma on my "new" Droid X. I mistakenly started downloading the .621 update on my Droid X . I quickly realized what was happening and pulled the battery before the download was complete. (data disabled on phone) . I turned off my router. I reinstalled the battery and turned off all of the data on the phone. I tried clearing the cache but get a message the triangle that it will try to download it again. I pulled the battery and do not plan on powering up the phone with any data connection until I can get some clarification on what to do . The phone has little value to me if it can't be rooted . Is there anyway to stop the train at this point and go back to .605 ( i believe that was the previous one) . - Thanks

Last edited:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I am probably one of those people who will also need to use this alternative root method but I have question -

I have been recently acquainted to this dilemma on my "new" Droid X. I mistakenly started the downloading the .621 update on my Droid X . I quickly realized what was happening and pulled the battery before the download was complete. (data disabled on phone) . I turned of my router. I reinstalled the battery and turned off all of the data on the phone. I tried clearing the cache but get a message the triangle that it will try to download it again. I pulled the battery and do not plan on powering up the phone with any data connection until I can get some clarification on what to do . The phone has little value to me if it can't be rooted . Is there anyway to stop the train at this point and go back to .605 ( i believe that was the previous one) . - Thanks

If you disabled the download you are still on .605.
Turn your phone on, quickly root it with Pete's Motorola Root Tools, install Titanium Backup and freeze the "2.3.3 Updater" application.

Afterwards, reboot your phone and you should be golden.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: bamx2

bamx2

Apr 17, 2010
nfazzdar - Thanks for the reply . I did a factory reset and that got rid of the yellow triangle. I then rooted as you suggested and installed TiBu . I really is too bad that M and V are pullin this cr#p .

Last edited:

frankc123

Oct 7, 2011
I am going to update the post and host the files. There is also some extra stuff i will put up for download.

deboyz1014

Jan 21, 2011
For people who don't want to pay for Titanium Backup to have the freeze feature, use a free app called gemini app manager.

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
using linux mint and have a ?

I've followed everything, I believe, but when I run the commands in linux everything runs then it says "reboot into bootloader" and just sits there. I've tried doing it in bootloader and get a message 'waiting on phone:failed Are you root? Can someone steer me in the right direction I gotta get this phone on another ROM. Thanks in advance.

landonotis

Mar 31, 2011
I've followed everything, I believe, but when I run the commands in linux everything runs then it says "reboot into bootloader" and just sits there. I've tried doing it in bootloader and get a message 'waiting on phone:failed Are you root? Can someone steer me in the right direction I gotta get this phone on another ROM. Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same problem here too.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Exactly the same problem here too.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using XDA

You need to either:

Code:
 sudo su
./sbf_flash
or
Code:
 sudo ./sbf_flash

Note: if using
Code:
 sudo su
be sure that the terminal shows a "#" instead of a "$" after you input the command. This shows that you are root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: BRANDENDEUCE

BRANDENDEUCE

Jul 8, 2008
Reno
Android Wear
T-Mobile LG G4
What roms can we use now?

Now that we have root and su on the droid x/milestone what roms are we able to flash? I know they can't be froyo based but do they now have to be related to the milestone roms, droid x, or both? I've tried a few and it's always an abort so I'm just needing some direction here...:confused:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Now that we have root and su on the droid x/milestone what roms are we able to flash? I know they can't be froyo based but do they now have to be related to the milestone roms, droid x, or both? I've tried a few and it's always an abort so I'm just needing some direction here...:confused:

I believe this thread will be of help to you. =D

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/21337-[ROMS]-Multi-ROM-Thread---Blur-Based-ROMs-for-those-on-.621/.604!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Reactions: BRANDENDEUCE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***Root method for .621 update***
    THIS IS FOR USERS WITH THE .621 UPDATE ONLY. IF YOU HAVE NOT UPDATED DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.
    *****DO NOT USE WINDOWS*****DO NOT USE RSDLITE*****

Instructs are made by Skelente

1.) Download the latest Ubuntu iso for your system. Most processors these days are 64 bit, but if you're running on an older computer or do not know if you have a 32 or 64 bit processor I'd recommend doing 32 bit just to be safe (64 bit processors can run both 32 and 64 bit distributions, but 32 bit systems cannot run 64 bit distributions.) Side note: you can download other distributions, but if you do you will not be able to create the persistent drive using the USB method. It should also be noted that some older systems cannot boot from USB, most newer systems (post 2000/2001 IIRC) can boot from USB, however you should consult Google to verify for your system.

2.) Burn the iso:
    2.a If you have a cd burner and blank disc, this is the easiest method but, again, you will not have a persistent drive you will just have a Live CD. Use an iso burner to burn to cd, then skip to step 3a.
    2.b If you do not have a burner, a blank disc (or don't feel like wasting a DVD disc) but have a free USB drive (with at least 2 GB of memory, bit overkill but it has to be big enough to hold the iso + changes + the persistent "drive") then I recommend downloading either unetbootin or universal USB installer. Go to either web site and follow their instructions. If you use Ubuntu, you'll have the option of creating a persistent drive, which is basically a fake-partition that allows you to save files to when you reboot Linux after running this Live USB. I would recommend using a persistent size of at least 200 mb so we can save the SBF file and sbf_flash. If you created a persistent drive go to step 4. If you opted out of this, skip to step 4.

3.a So you have a Live CD now. If you have a spare flash drive, load up the 604 SBF and sbf_flash. Either way, you'll need to proceed to booting into linux, go to step 4.
    3.b Once the respective application has finished, copy the SBF and sbf_flash file to the persistent drive listed in windows.

4. Now we need to boot from your Live image. Restart your computer. When your computer is booting up it should give you two options, "Enter BIOS" and "Select Boot Order" or similar. For my Lenovo Laptop, I can hit F12 to change the boot order, and from there I can select my USB port and it'll boot from there. If you do not see a boot order option, you will need to go into your bios and change the boot order manually. Again, you will need consult Google for this as the menu selections vary by system. It really isn't that hard to figure out if you go through the menus, but I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend and encourage you to google your motherboard's manual to verify what you need to change if you don't know what you are doing. You are responsible for any changes you make on your system. Your BIOS is crucial for your system to function properly. Once you have found where to change your boot order, select the respective drive (USB, or your CD/DVD drive). These will be listed by the manufacture name (so SamsungXXXX for a Samsung drive or PNYXXXX if you're using a PNY usb stick.)

5. When Ubuntu boots up, it'll give you an option to run "Live" from the CD/USB. Select this option. Installing to your hard drive could mess up your current OS install, and I'm not going to get into partitioning here. Once you've gotten into Ubuntu, select "Dash Home" in the upper left hand corner, and then type terminal in the search box. Click terminal, then open it up.

6. Now you'll need to get to where ever you have the SBF and sbf_flash stored through the terminal. If you chose to use the boot cd, and did not have an available flash drive, you will need to download the SBF from here, as well as sbf_flash and then extract them to the same folder. The default is "Downloads" and I recommend just extracting them to that directory for simplicity.
    6.a If you had to download the SBF/sbf_flash, getting there through terminal is rather easy. All you'll need to do is type these commands into the terminal:
    cd Downloads
    chmod +x sbf_flash

6.b If you already copied the required files to a USB drive, we need to get there through terminal. Type these commands:
    cd /
    cd /media/
    ls (This command will list all the drives connected to your system, cdrom, usb, etc. If you used the Universal USB installer it will list the USB drive as "PENDRIVE", I'm not sure what the default is for Unetbootin but you should be able to figure it out and if you just used a spare device it could be completely random.)
    cd drivename (obvioiusly this will vary based on the USB method, for me its "cd PENDRIVE"
    If your files were just on the main drive, you don't need to do anything else but the following commands. If you put them in another folder, you will need to do "cd foldername" without the quotes obviously. When you're in the directory with both the SBF and sbf_flash you will need to do these commands (again, ignoring the '-'):

chmod +x sbf_flash

7.) After sbf_flash is done, you'll need to restart your computer. Its recommended you remove your boot media (cd or usb drive) so that Windows can boot normally. If you changed the boot order in bios you will need to change it back to what it was before, otherwise whenever you have a CD/USB stick plugged in your computer will automatically try to boot from it, and get pissy if it can't boot from the media.

8.) Once you're back in windows you'll need to run the zergrushv4 root method. From there you can do whatever you want. You still cannot SBF to previous versions (602 or 605) and you cannot run Froyo roms.

Downloads:
    sbf_flash
    SBF File & root tools

*HELP*
    If you flashed with RSD Lite and have no data here is your options...
    Flash stock .621 sbf and...
    Switch devices on your account to reactivate the data
    or
    Call verizon to have them reporvision your data...

Once you are on the milestone system you can flash a custom rom.
    yes this is old, just use framaroot
    ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click application to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2
    You must SBF in Linux using sbf_flash, otherwise .604's radio will flash over .621's and your phone will no longer be able to take or place phone calls.

Edit: It may just be data, instead of phone capabilities. But still, flashing in Linux is much easier than having to spend time with Verizon's incompetent phone operators.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    If you SBF'd using RSD Lite, you flashed the 605 baseband over the 621. I didn't think this would mess up texts/phone calls but just your data connection, but correct me if I'm wrong I'm just going from memory (I had a dx2, just been watching the threads.) This was a big problem for the people over at rootz and they had a few different tactics on how to solve it. Some were able to call VZW and ask the tech support to "re-provision their data" although that was with mixed results (it depended who ya got on the phone, some people had no luck and other people had their data start back up no problems.) You would need to sbf back to 621 and call from a separate phone, however. Another user (skreelink) theorized that it was merely the AUTH code that was being messed up, and suggested that (for those with a secondary smart phone) you just go onto VZW.com, switch out phones for your number, wait 15 minutes, then go back to the website and switch back to your DX. I'm not sure if anyone has had any success with the latter but I know the former worked for a handful of people (with others getting tech support who had no idea what they were talking about.) If you call and don't get someone knowledgeable, I'd just cross your fingers and call back another time and hope you get someone different.
    no jellybean rom, may never be, long thread about it on rootzwiki

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

True, i was just giving him the heads up

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app