[Q] Is XSP still a good buy?

Search This thread

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Moto G
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Hi all, I currently own a Xperia U which I plan on changing in about June-July.
By that time, the SP will be priced about 250-279, €, and I love the esthetics of this phone.
The thing is, will it still be a good buy or will it be outdated?
Do you reccommend me this phone? I'll have to keep it for ~3-4 years so I have to choose carefully
Thanks for the help :)

Pulsa

Sep 15, 2013
Jakarta
By that time, the SP will be priced about 250-279, €, and I love the esthetics of this phone.
Do you reccommend me this phone? I'll have to keep it for ~3-4 years so I have to choose carefully

I very recommend this phone, but this will be outdated in 1 year, perhaps you can change your cycle or buy xperia z1 compact

Reactions: Bert98

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Moto G
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I very recommend this phone, but this will be outdated in 1 year, perhaps you can change your cycle or buy xperia z1 compact

I know, I would have chose the Z1 compact but it's too expensive, unless I find it for ~350€, but now it costs 500 so I don't think it's probable.. I'd like to keep using Sony products, what's the best phone in this range (250-350)?

Inviato dal mio Xperia U utilizzando Tapatalk

linh3799

Mar 2, 2014

1 vote for XSP

Schokonuss

Oct 27, 2013
Forst
The SP is real good! Another Sony Smartphone alternative I think is the Xperia M2 (just released on MWC) or the Xperia ZL maybe? Just take a look at them ;)

Gesendet von meinem Sony Xperia SP C5303

Last edited:

Pulsa

Sep 15, 2013
Jakarta
I know, I would have chose the Z1 compact but it's too expensive, unless I find it for ~350€, but now it costs 500 so I don't think it's probable.. I'd like to keep using Sony products, what's the best phone in this range (250-350)?

So, if your budget is 350€ you can go with Xperia SP, and sorry I mean this phone will be outdated in 2 years

no_username_available

May 14, 2013
Toronto
i think that by july there will be better options from sony since you like their design language you should stock to them, theres an upcoming sony called the xperia G and seems to be a very nice midranger, the reason i got the SP was because i got it for free for about 18 euros a month or about 25cdn/usd

aliiahmed.20

Aug 30, 2012
Its a perfect phone but the one flaw with it is the roms
i keep saying it to everybody and ill say it again
this phone doesnt have a single good rom and believe me i tried every single rom in this website and i tried everyone for alteast 1 month if not more and i can tell you its gonna be a pain if you love flashing custom roms

pec0ra

Jan 29, 2012
Zürich
Sony Xperia 5 II
This phone is probably one of the best for its price regarding performance.
However there are some little issues like the camera not being as good as expected ( you can still take some good photos though ) and memory management ( which one rooted be solved )

If you are planning to use this phone for 3-4 years I'm not sure SP will really be a good choice. It is solid (I let it fall more than once and it had nothing but little scratches on the corner ) but it doesn't seem like it will last long.
For example the screen got some scratches while being in my pocket and there is dust between the screen and the glass ( that might be cleaned under warranty )
Also this phone doesn't have a removable battery. It has a quite good battery life but 3-4 years is long for a phone battery and you can't change it.

If you like it rooted and customized, be sure you have an unlockable bootloader and there will be enough roms to flash. The 4.3 source have just been released for this device and it will enhance all the aosp based roms.

So more generally this phone is good and has visually a very good build quality but if you use it for some time you might feel like "issues" have been hidden behind a beautiful design and great performances.
In short my feeling is : premium design and performance but doesn't really feel premium as you use it for some time.

You should consider other options but if you do not really care about this "premium" feeling the Xperia SP is a good phone for the price.

Note : I've had this phone for about 6-7 month

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Dj Akis

May 13, 2013
Patra
if you are not interesting in camera, yes, the phone is value for money. Camera is very bad, my xperia U camera was much better :\

It meets all my needs.I rooted the phone the first day i got it and nlocked the Bootloader within the first week (IF you go with XSP and UBL BACKUP your DRM keys!!!).Its blazzing fast it has a beautiful screen and many Custom and Stock based Roms :p

Pros
1.7 Dual Core
1 GB Ram
3 Notification leds
Easily customisable
Very solid construction (aluminum frame)
Reset button (Savior for bootloops)
Great nice to the touch keys
2nd mic for noise cancelation
Dedicated camera button
8MP Camera
Front facing Camera (VGA)
LTE (4G)
Great Battery life (2370 mah battery)
And many more ...
Cons
After 7 solid months of using this phone as my daily driver and lab rat for Roms and Kernels i found nothing.

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Moto G
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
It meets all my needs.I rooted the phone the first day i got it and nlocked the Bootloader within the first week (IF you go with XSP and UBL BACKUP your DRM keys!!!).Its blazzing fast it has a beautiful screen and many Custom and Stock based Roms :p

Pros
1.7 Dual Core
1 GB Ram
3 Notification leds
Easily customisable
Dedicated camera button
8MP Camera
LTE (4G)
And many more ...
Cons
After 7 solid months of using this phone as my daily driver and lab rat for Roms and Kernels i found nothing.

Not a con for me, if I find a good ROM I'll stick with that (I've used CM11 for over two months now on my XU, because it perfectly suits my needs) so I think I'm gonna buy it :thumbup:

headache59

Feb 22, 2014
A very good buy for the budget conscious.
BUT - stay with firmware 4.1.2 (this is only my experience, as 4.1.2 seems much faster than 4.3 on my device)

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Cons

:good::good::good:

A very good buy for the budget conscious.
BUT - stay with firmware 4.1.2 (this is only my experience, as 4.1.2 seems much faster than 4.3 on my device)

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

:good::good::good:
Also in 4.1.2 there is no battery drain in opposition 4.3 drained my battery fast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys these kind of threads are not really welcome in here. I've made a special should-I-buy-this-phone thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2561829
    Where you can share and read stories of others..

1 vote for XSP
    The SP is real good! Another Sony Smartphone alternative I think is the Xperia M2 (just released on MWC) or the Xperia ZL maybe? Just take a look at them ;)

Gesendet von meinem Sony Xperia SP C5303

Pros
    1.7 Dual Core
    1 GB Ram
    3 Notification leds
    Easily customisable
    Dedicated camera button
    8MP Camera
    LTE (4G)
    And many more ...
    Cons