[Kernel][v11.4][Jun 20][Gallimaufry & Aggressive Governors][Jelly Bean] PopcornKernel

Search This thread

sonicxml

Jan 22, 2011
[Kernel][v11.4][Jun 20][Gallimaufry & Aggressive Governors][Jelly Bean] PopcornKernel

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]PopcornKernel for the Galaxy Nexus
For 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 ROMs
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The philosophy of this kernel is to combine a stable, snappy (real-use wise, not benchmarks) kernel with great battery life. We (me and jdkoreclipse) feel we have achieved the best balance of these in PopcornKernel. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Now on to the goodies![/font]

Features:
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Optimized for Size[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Lots of debugging disabled[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Gallimaufry governor (modded ondemand, 2-stage ondemand plus speed tweaks)[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Aggressive governor(modded conservative, lots of tweaks to increase snappiness while saving power)[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]NoHz[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]SLQB[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TUN[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Disabled fsync[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Swap support[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CFQ, Deadline, and noop i/o schedulers[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PegasusQ Governor from Samsung[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Screen-off hotplugging added to AgressiveX, GallimaufryX, and InteractiveX governors (imoseyon)[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ARM RWSEM Algorithm[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Battery Life Extender - Ezekeel[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Color Control - Ezekeel and supercurio[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fast Charge - Chad0989[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TempControl - Imoseyon and Ezekeel[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]GPU OC Control - Imoseyon (modified by me)[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]SoundControl - Greg White and Ezekeel[/font]
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wifi Screen-Off Power Management - Francisco Franco[/font]

For the Jelly Bean kernel, look here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28098639&postcount=572
DOWNLOAD
MIRROR

Changelog (Go HERE for the full Changelog)

v11.4
  • evdev patch to hold less wakelocks
  • GCC graphite optimizations
  • Some SIO (Simple IO Scheduler) Optimizations
Tweaks:
See HERE for all the tweaks and how to use them.

I also recommend PopcornScripts, a set of scripts by me and jdk to change kernel settings: http://rootzwiki.com...y-team-vicious/

ON REPORTING BUGS:
Please provide me with:
  1. a detailed description of the bug
  2. when the bug occured
  3. a way of reproducing it, if possible
  4. Your ROM and ROM version
  5. Kernel version, frequencies, and governor (along with any other relevant settings)
  6. logcat, dmesg or /proc/last_kmsg, whichever is applicable
NOTE: I will not look at bugs if they do not include the above, you must also be on a stable version of your rom (no alphas or betas) and you must not have any SetCPU profiles active.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Enjoy!

Directions:[/font]
  1. Download .zip
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. Flash .zip in recovery
  4. Reboot
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]We are not responsible for anything that might happen to your device.
And no, your device will not magically make popcorn now, unfortunately.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Credits:

BIG thanks to OhHeyItsLou who helped me get started building kernels, as well as IMoseyOn, Jakeday, and Ezekeel, who have all helped me learn a lot[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Mathkid95 for being a c[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ool kid[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]DroidVicious for the name[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Source: https://github.com/s...cornkernel-Tuna[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]We put a lot of time and effort into providing you with this, so we encourage you to show your appreciation by pressing the thanks button, leaving a comment, and (if you're really nice) donating. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Sonicxml: [/font]Donate

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]jdkoreclipse: [/font]Donate

PLEASE LEAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS BELOW

Last edited:

definator

Aug 19, 2011
Hamburg
wow this thing is fantastic with aggresiv gov !

7300 antutu with 1350mhz / 3400 quadrant

and the battery is awesome. very snappy. everything works on 4.0.4

my fav kernel for now! :)

Last edited:

phunghoang24

Apr 18, 2010
with this kernel, i love 3D display more :D not lag :) smooth and stable.
tomorow, i'll report about lifebattery and every things :)
Thank.

Last edited:

Vangelis13

Wow. I've just gone down from 100 to 97% of battery with 21 minutes of screen time. Fresh install in gallimaufry governor, left as is. Going to bed, will report sleep performance.

This looks insane good though, phone is as snappy as ever.

You're up to something good here mate, thanks!!

steveeJ

Nov 24, 2011
hey,

first of all thanks for your kernel, looks like you put much time into your work on it!
i'm trying out your kernel right now.
i'm not using setCPU, though i'm using the ROM Apex 1.0.2 which has a builtin overclocking settings, like i can set min/max cpu frequency , cpu governor and voltages.
i have set 350/1350 mhz and undervolted a bit.
i have cleaned cache and dalvic cache after i flashed your kernel.

IMO, gallimaufry is rather laggy, honestly i tried it only for 1 minute and couldn't stick with it anymore..
i'll now use aggressive governor a few days, which has a good first impression on me, and then report back here!

if you have any idea why gallimaufry is laggy for me, or need more information, let me know.

greets

refaa

Oct 29, 2009
I cant download any thing?? From here :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

xTremePower

Awesome oO

I tested all the kernels, and with your Gallimaufry governor and without OC I have the best performances! Better than others with 1500MHz OC.....

And the battery drains verry slowly ! with a normal use of the phone I can use it 2 days without charging oO AWESOME

refaa

Oct 29, 2009
Awesome oO

I tested all the kernels, and with your Gallimaufry governor and without OC I have the best performances! Better than others with 1500MHz OC.....

And the battery drains verry slowly ! with a normal use of the phone I can use it 2 days without charging oO AWESOME

What did u download

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

MrPhilo

Dec 12, 2010
Sheffield
Amazing kernel, alot snappier than franco and lean kernel (in my opinion) regardless of the clockspeed and governor. Thank you for the kernel :), needs for recognition.

Last edited:

ctbear

Oct 15, 2009
Seattle
Yes great kernel...very smooth and snappy with default settings.
Can't really report battery life as I had a weird urge to flash another kernel during work today :( But I unplugged at 7:30am, went through half day of work with some light browsing, texting and email, and I was down to 87% when I switched kernel around 3pm. This was on your Aggressive governor.
Will love to come back when there's a new update :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]PopcornKernel for the Galaxy Nexus
    For 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 ROMs
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The philosophy of this kernel is to combine a stable, snappy (real-use wise, not benchmarks) kernel with great battery life. We (me and jdkoreclipse) feel we have achieved the best balance of these in PopcornKernel. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Now on to the goodies![/font]

Features:
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Optimized for Size[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Lots of debugging disabled[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Gallimaufry governor (modded ondemand, 2-stage ondemand plus speed tweaks)[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Aggressive governor(modded conservative, lots of tweaks to increase snappiness while saving power)[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]NoHz[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]SLQB[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TUN[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Disabled fsync[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Swap support[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CFQ, Deadline, and noop i/o schedulers[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PegasusQ Governor from Samsung[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Screen-off hotplugging added to AgressiveX, GallimaufryX, and InteractiveX governors (imoseyon)[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ARM RWSEM Algorithm[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Battery Life Extender - Ezekeel[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Color Control - Ezekeel and supercurio[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fast Charge - Chad0989[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TempControl - Imoseyon and Ezekeel[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]GPU OC Control - Imoseyon (modified by me)[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]SoundControl - Greg White and Ezekeel[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wifi Screen-Off Power Management - Francisco Franco[/font]

For the Jelly Bean kernel, look here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28098639&postcount=572
    DOWNLOAD
    MIRROR

Changelog (Go HERE for the full Changelog)

v11.4
    • evdev patch to hold less wakelocks
    • GCC graphite optimizations
    • Some SIO (Simple IO Scheduler) Optimizations
    Tweaks:
    See HERE for all the tweaks and how to use them.

I also recommend PopcornScripts, a set of scripts by me and jdk to change kernel settings: http://rootzwiki.com...y-team-vicious/

ON REPORTING BUGS:
    Please provide me with:
    1. a detailed description of the bug
    2. when the bug occured
    3. a way of reproducing it, if possible
    4. Your ROM and ROM version
    5. Kernel version, frequencies, and governor (along with any other relevant settings)
    6. logcat, dmesg or /proc/last_kmsg, whichever is applicable
    NOTE: I will not look at bugs if they do not include the above, you must also be on a stable version of your rom (no alphas or betas) and you must not have any SetCPU profiles active.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Enjoy!

Directions:[/font]
    1. Download .zip
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. Flash .zip in recovery
    4. Reboot
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]We are not responsible for anything that might happen to your device.
    And no, your device will not magically make popcorn now, unfortunately.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Credits:

BIG thanks to OhHeyItsLou who helped me get started building kernels, as well as IMoseyOn, Jakeday, and Ezekeel, who have all helped me learn a lot[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Mathkid95 for being a c[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ool kid[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]DroidVicious for the name[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Source: https://github.com/s...cornkernel-Tuna[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]We put a lot of time and effort into providing you with this, so we encourage you to show your appreciation by pressing the thanks button, leaving a comment, and (if you're really nice) donating. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Sonicxml: [/font]Donate

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]jdkoreclipse: [/font]Donate

PLEASE LEAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS BELOW
    Whoops, sorry guys. Forgot to put this up here, but I've had a fully fledged JB kernel on rootz for a while, here it is:

v11.5 - JustinBieber version

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50845713/P...AL/PopcornKernel-v11.5-JUSTINBIEBER-FINAL.zip

Changelog:
    Obviously, updated to Jelly Bean source, so only flash if you're running Jelly Bean.

I added a system of load averages to PegasusQ: It will take the past 4 loads and average them (using weighted averages to give more priority to the more recent loads), to come up with an average load, and it will automatically change governor tunables to reflect this load (lower load = tunables better suited for more battery, higher load = tunables better suited for performance)
    This is because I found a bug where it would immediately bring back CPU1 after it hotplugged it, so now that it is hotplugging for longer, we need better logic to keep it smooth. (This has been slightly tweaked since the beta for a bit more speed)

PegasusQ is now the default governor also

MOAR CFLAGS (-Ofast, -pipe)

Some more patches to help performance
    Alright so I'm about to leave for vacation, so here's v10 (i'll update the op later) http://goo.gl/0ndoq
    Changelog:
    Updated to 4.0.4 source
    Tweaked aggressive
    Added touchscreen power off on screen off patch from turl
    Allowed the cpu to go into a deeper C state - this should improve screen off battery life
    Added TempControl from Imoseyon and Ezekeel, but limited highest temp to 75C because you shouldn't need to go any higher than that
    Ezekeel's latest ColorControl bugfixes
    So after a long time coming, v9 is finally here! Here's the changelog:

v9 Changelog (Download here)
    • updater script now wipes cache, dalvik cache, and system/lib/modules automatically
    • Bumped the 920MHz slot up to 1.06GHz - but it remained at the same voltage
    • Made aggressive even better (“How could this be?!?!” you ask!). Well, I added some code which will make it use the 1.06GHz slot more, which should lead to better screen-on battery life when doing things like web browsing and playing games (but still without lag). The DEF_SAMPLING_DOWN_FACTOR was also increased to 4
    • Made gallimaufry even better (“How could this be?!?!” you ask again!) - by making it so that it’ll ramp up a bit earlier, giving the user a snappier phone. It also has been tweaked for slightly more battery life.
    • Fixed the camera not responding issue
    • Removed Ezekeel’s Deep Idle
    • Fixed the hotplugging governors (aggressive, gallimaufry, interactive) to not hotplug during earlysuspend registration - this should fix the SOD’s. (thanks imoseyon)
    • Added PM_FAST/PM_MAX userspace module (Francisco Franco). What this does is you have the option to choose what wifi “mode” you want to use when your screen is off. Normally, the device uses PM_FAST when the screen is on, providing good, speedy wifi performance. But when the screen turns off, it switches to the PM_MAX mode, which slows the wifi down in an effort to save battery. However, this can affect someone streaming music, causing them to have lower quality audio. This patch allows that person to set the wifi mode to PM_FAST when the screen is off, improving their audio quality, but maybe at the cost of their battery life. To set it to enable PM_FAST on screen-off, you can type (in terminal emulator): echo 1 > /sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/wifi_pm and to disable it echo 0. Or you can just use franco’s app.
    • Added another patch from franco that powers down the wifi chip when wifi is disabled to save battery
    • Applied an omap patch: Don’t touch mpu and core state until CPU1 is off
    • Fix the LOAD_FREQ variable to equal 4.61 like it should, previously it equaled 5.73
    • Fixed the exponential values in sched.h to use 4.61 instead of 5 seconds
    • Applied Ezekeel’s latest Color/Sound Control commits
    v7.3 is here! Changelog:
    the weirdness in 7.2.1 should be fixed
    patched up to 3.0.23
    Added Fast Charge by Chad0989 - For more info see here: http://rootzwiki.com...-fast-charging/
    Switched to Ezekeel's implementation of Color Control - can now use color multipliers
    Made screen offset values more accurate - francisco franco