[APP][4.3+] BeHe Keyboard - Programming & Hacking

Search This thread

Vlath

Jul 22, 2015
Hello XDA,

I'm Vlad Todosin (aka Vlath) and maybe some of you know me for the development of the open-source browser BeHe ExploreR. Today I'm introducing to you a new open-source app, but this time a keyboard. I've tried many of the keyboards with special keys available on the market, but all of them have a downside (at least from my point of view) and that's the design and the ease of use. This is what inspired me to create BeHe Keyboard. This keyboard features three different keyboard faces (normal QWERTY, a D-PAD with special keys and a programming face). All of this faces can be changed with a touch of a button, this is what makes it easy to use as a default keyboard, without the need to switch between input methods when you want to do something new. Also, the arrow keys from the D-PAD face can be useful at regular typing.

So, with that being said, I'd let the app speak for itself. Remember, this is just the first version, more updates to come. I love to hear from you, so if you have any feature request, just post it here.

Also, BeHe Keyboard is open-source, so if you think that it's spying, go check the source, and you'll see it's NOT.

Contributors are welcome. BeHe Keyboard can be easily built with Android Studio, unlike the other open-source keyboards that are hard to build. My goal was to create a keyboard app that's useful and also easy to modify.

Last edited:

Vlath

Jul 22, 2015
CHANGELOG FOR VERSION 1.0.1b:
- Fixed shift key bug. The double tap on the shift key was not working properly (was not setting locked caps). With this update, the bug is fixed.

Enjoy!

Reactions: killoid

c-sanchez

Nov 27, 2016
Hi @Vlath Behe Keyboard looks very nice, although i think this some improvements.
Just some details and feature request.

* The keyboard don't show variants from some leters, work's with A (Á, etc), but not for N (ñ) by example.

* Check how looks for me the default Android Keyboard..
http://i.imgur.com/nh9Rkws.png
.. and so looks current Behe Keyboard
http://i.imgur.com/9OcNMRo.png

I like this uses less screen space than Android Keyboard, that is nice. but..

add some details like number upper letters, check Android Keyboard have Q(1) W(2) E(3) R(4) T(5) Y(6) U(7) I(8) O(9) P(0)

* add a bit more of design, is a bit "confusing" just view letters on a black space, make some dark gray buttons borders or something. again, compare with Android Keyboard

* I know this keyboard is specially for programming, but..
(check again the images) while Android Keyboard is moving a bit the screen, Behe Keybord is making the input text space an full text box.
I think this is wrong, or at least must be as an option.

Regards

Reactions: Vlath
Nice work ... But i miss functions from hackers keyboard.... You can look at in play store. Anyway awesome job keep developing :) . I'll keep it as a second keyboard :good:

Just some pictures for some ideas

Sent from my SM-A300FU using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170727-175721.png
    Screenshot_20170727-175721.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 515
  • Screenshot_20170727-175801.png
    Screenshot_20170727-175801.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 510
  • Screenshot_20170727-175810.png
    Screenshot_20170727-175810.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 523
  • Screenshot_20170727-175822.png
    Screenshot_20170727-175822.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Reactions: Vlath

lumiannah

Jul 27, 2016
Impressive, I've been wanting something similar and with low ram usage. Problems I've encountered: When holding i button it makes the keyboard unpressable, sometimes keys get struck writing same letter forever. Also I would like to have more letter variants. (e.g. Ö)

pvineeth97

Nov 1, 2015
St. Louis
Hello XDA,

I'm Vlad Todosin (aka Vlath) and maybe some of you know me for the development of the open-source browser BeHe ExploreR. Today I'm introducing to you a new open-source app, but this time a keyboard. I've tried many of the keyboards with special keys available on the market, but all of them have a downside (at least from my point of view) and that's the design and the ease of use. This is what inspired me to create BeHe Keyboard. This keyboard features three different keyboard faces (normal QWERTY, a D-PAD with special keys and a programming face). All of this faces can be changed with a touch of a button, this is what makes it easy to use as a default keyboard, without the need to switch between input methods when you want to do something new. Also, the arrow keys from the D-PAD face can be useful at regular typing.

So, with that being said, I'd let the app speak for itself. Remember, this is just the first version, more updates to come. I love to hear from you, so if you have any feature request, just post it here.

Also, BeHe Keyboard is open-source, so if you think that it's spying, go check the source, and you'll see it's NOT.

Contributors are welcome. BeHe Keyboard can be easily built with Android Studio, unlike the other open-source keyboards that are hard to build. My goal was to create a keyboard app that's useful and also easy to modify.

Awesome work! We would like to integrate this keyboard into our new LineageOS builds. Can you advice us on how to integrate into our LineageOS ROM during compilation?

Reactions: alticode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,

check free apps for android mobile
    Thanks for spamming on my thread. Unfortunately for you, I really don't care. Your post is going to be reported. By the way, for all those interested, this message was written with BeHe Keyboard :cowboy:
    Short development update. Been working on this for the last month, it now features a full PC keyboard which is loaded when you put your phone in landscape mode. I've redesigned the app used for activation (which now features a better activation tutorial by the way), and the programming layout will be modified a bit for better symbol coverage. I'm working on making a PC layout for other layouts too (qwertz, azerty, dvorak etc.), and the "arrows" layout will now feature ESC and some other useful keys.

Trying to publish a beta version as soon as I can, though I can't do lots of testing because shortly after managing to get a new laptop my phone broke, and I'm actually testing on an old tablet with android 4.4 till I manage to get enough money to buy a new phone (student life huh). Hopefully I'll manage to test it on some friend's phones in order to get an idea on how it works on newer android versions.

So again a big thanks to all! I'll post a link for joining in the beta testing program soon so keep an eye on this thread. :D
    Thanks for your advice! :)

An update that implements vibrate on key press and key borders is rolling out! That's all that I could do today, still more to come in the next days!
    P.S. A huge thanks to @supergrobi94 for the new icon
    Thanks for using BeHe! :)
    Back after quite a long time, huh. Started working on BeHe again and decided to change its engine completely (the standard implementation of KeyboardView in android is just unusable for more than basic functions). The new version will be based on LatinIME (the stock android keyboard), with some modifications, so it will feature all the layouts LatinIME supports (QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, Dvorak, etc.) and also the DPAD/programming layouts that BeHe had before. It will, however, not include text suggestions and swipe typing (as far as I know the source code for swipe typing is private and actual dictionaries for text suggestions are hard to compile as they require to be compiled with Android NDK and that is not something I'd like to deal with on my ancient computer). However, it will be way smoother than it is now and will have support for all the special characters (accents) needed.

Thanks for your support and keep an eye on updates! :)