Amazon Fire 5th Gen [SuperTool] Root, Google play install, block ota updates and more

Search This thread

Tomsgt

Hi guys its RootJunky again and i have put together another SuperTool for all of you.
this SuperTool is for the Amazon Fire 5th gen 7in tablet only. Some options may work on other version but that would be at your own risk.
View attachment 3579065

NOTE This tool has been Tested and built for the Amazon Fire 5th gen 7in tablet. some features may work on other 5th gen tablets but use it at your own risk.
Features
WINDOWS VERSION
1. ADB driver install and test
2. Install Google play store plus remove ads on some fire os versions
3. block ota updates
4. boot device to twrp recovery 5.0.1 and below
5. Install FlashFire App
6. root amazon Fire 5th gen on android 5.1.2 and below
7. replace stock fire launcher with Nova launcher
8. remove lock screen ads on fire os 5.1.2 and below
9. Update SuperTool Files

LINUX AND MAC VERSION
1. Install Google play store plus remove ads on some fire os versions
2. root amazon Fire 5th gen on android 5.1.2 and below
3. block ota updates
4. remove lock screen ads on fire os 5.1.2
5. replace stock fire launcher with Nova launcher
6. Install FlashFire App
7. Install Xposed Framework
8. Quit

Note you can downgrade firmware from Fire OS 5.3.2 to 5.3.1 without any problems. Do not downgrade any lower.
WARNING do not attempt to downgrade your firmware if you are on 5.3.1 you will hard brick the device. You can downgrade to 5.1.2 from 5.1.4 5.1.3 or 5.1.2.1

NOTE Amazon Fire OS 5.1.2.1 will not let you root with Kingroot and you will need to downgrade to 5.1.2 to use this supertool to root the device. All firmware can be found HERE
I made this video on the firmware flashing process but a word of WARNING you can not downgrade below 5.1.2, or you will hard brick your device.
FIRE OS 5.1.2 NUMBER update-kindle-global-37.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin you can use this new Supertool to downgrade to Fire OS 5.1.2 really easily

New more info on this tool related to the HD8 and HD10 check here

New Version of SuperTool available as of 11-28-16
change log

1-2-16
Changed where adb and fastboot are running from to fix some problems that people are having if adb being run from another location.
Made the nova launcher install backup amazon fire launcher to sdcard before deleting it.
cleaned up some script in driver install to hopefully make that process easier. seem like everybody is having a different problem with drivers.
1-3-16
cleaned up a couple more little bugs
added a fastboot driver install script to the adb fastboot driver install option 1
added to option 8 now you can restore stock fire launcher if you want.
1-9-16
adjusted the menu
added a script to Update the supertool each time it has a update instead of downloading it again.
please report any bugs thanks
1-9-16
added a new feature to the boot-recovery-to-restore-device.bat you can now boot to stock recovery if stuck in fastboot mode. Enjoy
hope this helps fix people being stuck and not able to restore there devices with adb sideload.
2-28-16
updated flash fire app to version 0.27 just run option 9 to update the supertool then you can install the new flash fire app version
3-2-16
added basic linux support that has been tested. It should work on mac also but I havent tested it. please report back thanks
3-11-16
fixed mac script. i picked up a macbook pro and found out i had bad adb and fastboot files i was using for mac.
3-30-16
update the supertool to work on Fire OS 5.1.2.. the mac and linux versions working on 5.1.2 also..
Note if you update the supertool using option 9 in the script then do it twice to get all the files downloaded correctly :)
please report any bugs thanks.
3-31-16
added Xposed Framework install to the script hope you all like it. check option 5. again you can update for windows with option 9
4-2-16
update to latest FlashFire app
4-3-16
updated the user interface for Mac and linux and fixed some spelling problems
6-4-16
updated to newest flashfire app v0.50 and added a note about downgrading to fire OS 5.1.2
10-5-16
Updated to newest FlashFire app v0.53 and new Kingroot so that we can now Root Fire OS 5.3.1
fully tested and even removes kingroot to install supersu just like before.
NOTE it takes many many attempts to get kingroot to work you may even need to wipe data and cache on the app a couple times. just keep trying.
11-28-16
fixed problems with flashfire app not installing.

NOTE Download the File without the dashes - - - - - - between words its the new version
LInk to Supertool HERE

VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS WIINDOWS https://youtu.be/sVv1D_LNLTg

VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS MAC AND LINUX <Mod Edit: Link removed for affiliate sales link.>

NOTE IF ON WINDOWS 8 YOU MAY WANT TO TURN OFF DRIVER SIGNING CHECK SEE LINK
NOTE its best if you extract the supertool folder to your desktop it seems to work the best in this location on your C drive.

Here is a link to all of my video tutorials
<Mod Edit: Link removed for promoting paid service and affiliate sales links.>

Big thanks to all the devs that have put some awesome work on this device.

Note you can always update the apps in the SuperTool with these links
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/flashfire/
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/supersu/
https://kingroot.net/

Last edited by a moderator:

revdirty

May 6, 2011
To clarify , this will not be able to install a recovery like twrp or CM if it was ota'ed to 5.1.1 without having been done before the update.. just for people that did that prior to 5.1.1 right?
Im on 5.1.1 updated outta the box.. no way to install a rom right?

Tomsgt

To clarify , this will not be able to install a recovery like twrp or CM if it was ota'ed to 5.1.1 without having been done before the update.. just for people that did that prior to 5.1.1 right?
Im on 5.1.1 updated outta the box.. no way to install a rom right?

yes that is correct 5.1.1 still has a locked down bootloader. but if we find a work around it will be added to the tool.

revdirty

May 6, 2011
yes that is correct 5.1.1 still has a locked down bootloader. but if we find a work around it will be added to the tool.

This is why i love the XDA Community , mostly the most helpful people on the interwebs.
thank you , my children will have a Great xmas now with a less borked tablet!

Also , will have to install SuperSU or will this tool do that as part of the root process?

pappasmurfsharem

Feb 13, 2008
Just too a look at your script.

Note: the OTA block wont work for 5.1.1 bootloader devices if the device has been rebooted as the shell doesn't start as root without the fastboot oem cmd.

You can however do

adb shell
su
<pm etc etc etc>

after it has been rooted with the script.

Reactions: rodrengo

Tomsgt

This is why i love the XDA Community , mostly the most helpful people on the interwebs.
thank you , my children will have a Great xmas now with a less borked tablet!

Also , will have to install SuperSU or will this tool do that as part of the root process?

its all part of the process i will make a video on it later tonight to show it off

blueberry.sky

Aug 20, 2014
We can not "install" twrp or any recovery regardless of the FireOS version (5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1.1). We could only temporarily load our recovery into memory (5.0 & 5.0.1). Need a pc each time you want to load one of our recoveries.

Reactions: rodrengo

Tomsgt

Just too a look at your script.

Note: the OTA block wont work for 5.1.1 bootloader devices if the device has been rebooted as the shell doesn't start as root without the fastboot oem cmd.

You can however do

adb shell
su
<pm etc etc etc>

after it has been rooted with the script.

thanks i will look into that. since i havent tried blocking ota on 5.1.1 yet thanks

revdirty

May 6, 2011
I attempted this script and for the root process i got this:
tI_rkw.png

pappasmurfsharem

Feb 13, 2008
thank you , lemme know how it goes for ya

Looks ok on my end

Code:
press a key to reboot the device in fastboot mode
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) APPEND KERNEL CMDLINE

OKAY [  0.007s]
finished. total time: 0.007s
resuming boot...
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.004s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[*] your device is rebooting and will inject root files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
remount succeeded
2601 KB/s (170232 bytes in 0.063s)
241 KB/s (1976 bytes in 0.007s)
2411 KB/s (75364 bytes in 0.030s)
3633 KB/s (5904943 bytes in 1.586s)
1966 KB/s (29972 bytes in 0.014s)

It might be a strange issue with the Administrator having "odd rights" on your User/Desktop folder.

Try moving the folder to the root of your C drive

Last edited:

revdirty

May 6, 2011
Looks ok on my end

Code:
press a key to reboot the device in fastboot mode
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) APPEND KERNEL CMDLINE

OKAY [  0.007s]
finished. total time: 0.007s
resuming boot...
OKAY [  0.003s]
finished. total time: 0.004s
[*] your device is rebooting and will inject root files.
remount succeeded
2601 KB/s (170232 bytes in 0.063s)
241 KB/s (1976 bytes in 0.007s)
2411 KB/s (75364 bytes in 0.030s)
3633 KB/s (5904943 bytes in 1.586s)
1966 KB/s (29972 bytes in 0.014s)

It might be a strange issue with the Administrator having "odd rights" on your User/Desktop folder.

Try moving the folder to the root of your C drive

trying now, and for anyone else, i am opting to have this conversation in the thread instead of a pm so that it may help others later.

Edit: still same error msg as before , attempted to run from root of C: with running bat as admin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys its RootJunky again and i have put together another SuperTool for all of you.
    this SuperTool is for the Amazon Fire 5th gen 7in tablet only. Some options may work on other version but that would be at your own risk.
    View attachment 3579065

NOTE This tool has been Tested and built for the Amazon Fire 5th gen 7in tablet. some features may work on other 5th gen tablets but use it at your own risk.
    Features
    WINDOWS VERSION
    1. ADB driver install and test
    2. Install Google play store plus remove ads on some fire os versions
    3. block ota updates
    4. boot device to twrp recovery 5.0.1 and below
    5. Install FlashFire App
    6. root amazon Fire 5th gen on android 5.1.2 and below
    7. replace stock fire launcher with Nova launcher
    8. remove lock screen ads on fire os 5.1.2 and below
    9. Update SuperTool Files

LINUX AND MAC VERSION
    1. Install Google play store plus remove ads on some fire os versions
    2. root amazon Fire 5th gen on android 5.1.2 and below
    3. block ota updates
    4. remove lock screen ads on fire os 5.1.2
    5. replace stock fire launcher with Nova launcher
    6. Install FlashFire App
    7. Install Xposed Framework
    8. Quit

Note you can downgrade firmware from Fire OS 5.3.2 to 5.3.1 without any problems. Do not downgrade any lower.
    WARNING do not attempt to downgrade your firmware if you are on 5.3.1 you will hard brick the device. You can downgrade to 5.1.2 from 5.1.4 5.1.3 or 5.1.2.1

NOTE Amazon Fire OS 5.1.2.1 will not let you root with Kingroot and you will need to downgrade to 5.1.2 to use this supertool to root the device. All firmware can be found HERE
    I made this video on the firmware flashing process but a word of WARNING you can not downgrade below 5.1.2, or you will hard brick your device.
    FIRE OS 5.1.2 NUMBER update-kindle-global-37.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin you can use this new Supertool to downgrade to Fire OS 5.1.2 really easily

New more info on this tool related to the HD8 and HD10 check here

New Version of SuperTool available as of 11-28-16
    change log

1-2-16
    Changed where adb and fastboot are running from to fix some problems that people are having if adb being run from another location.
    Made the nova launcher install backup amazon fire launcher to sdcard before deleting it.
    cleaned up some script in driver install to hopefully make that process easier. seem like everybody is having a different problem with drivers.
    1-3-16
    cleaned up a couple more little bugs
    added a fastboot driver install script to the adb fastboot driver install option 1
    added to option 8 now you can restore stock fire launcher if you want.
    1-9-16
    adjusted the menu
    added a script to Update the supertool each time it has a update instead of downloading it again.
    please report any bugs thanks
    1-9-16
    added a new feature to the boot-recovery-to-restore-device.bat you can now boot to stock recovery if stuck in fastboot mode. Enjoy
    hope this helps fix people being stuck and not able to restore there devices with adb sideload.
    2-28-16
    updated flash fire app to version 0.27 just run option 9 to update the supertool then you can install the new flash fire app version
    3-2-16
    added basic linux support that has been tested. It should work on mac also but I havent tested it. please report back thanks
    3-11-16
    fixed mac script. i picked up a macbook pro and found out i had bad adb and fastboot files i was using for mac.
    3-30-16
    update the supertool to work on Fire OS 5.1.2.. the mac and linux versions working on 5.1.2 also..
    Note if you update the supertool using option 9 in the script then do it twice to get all the files downloaded correctly :)
    please report any bugs thanks.
    3-31-16
    added Xposed Framework install to the script hope you all like it. check option 5. again you can update for windows with option 9
    4-2-16
    update to latest FlashFire app
    4-3-16
    updated the user interface for Mac and linux and fixed some spelling problems
    6-4-16
    updated to newest flashfire app v0.50 and added a note about downgrading to fire OS 5.1.2
    10-5-16
    Updated to newest FlashFire app v0.53 and new Kingroot so that we can now Root Fire OS 5.3.1
    fully tested and even removes kingroot to install supersu just like before.
    NOTE it takes many many attempts to get kingroot to work you may even need to wipe data and cache on the app a couple times. just keep trying.
    11-28-16
    fixed problems with flashfire app not installing.

NOTE Download the File without the dashes - - - - - - between words its the new version
    LInk to Supertool HERE

VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS WIINDOWS https://youtu.be/sVv1D_LNLTg

VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS MAC AND LINUX <Mod Edit: Link removed for affiliate sales link.>

NOTE IF ON WINDOWS 8 YOU MAY WANT TO TURN OFF DRIVER SIGNING CHECK SEE LINK
    NOTE its best if you extract the supertool folder to your desktop it seems to work the best in this location on your C drive.

Here is a link to all of my video tutorials
    <Mod Edit: Link removed for promoting paid service and affiliate sales links.>

Big thanks to all the devs that have put some awesome work on this device.

Note you can always update the apps in the SuperTool with these links
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/flashfire/
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/supersu/
    https://kingroot.net/
    I can confirm. I tried with 5.0 and it would not get removed by Supertool. Uninstalled and re-run with 4.85 and it worked.

I figured out the problem with Kingroot 5.0 and why it will not remove Kingroot and install supersu. Basically this version of kingroot installs itself as a device Admin and you have to turn this off after rooting and before continuing the script to remove it and replace with kingroot. To turn off kingroot admin just go into settings then security and device administrator then uncheck kingroot and continue with the removal and replacement of supersu. I am working on updating the script to add this step :) also looking into 5.3.2 :)
    Yup - good to have choices! Probably both methods should be included in the 5.1.2 root thread or referenced on one of @sd_shadow's excellent guides.

supertool has been updated to Fire OS 5.1.2 all options work again and i have taken further steps to stop ota updates. to get the latest files run the update option 9 twice or just download the new Supertool from the link in the OP
    SUCCESS! FLASHED NEXUS ROM ON FIRE 7 - 5.1.2 version!

I had bricked my Fire 7 a couple of times trying to install the Slim ROM with Flashfire.

I restored the stock 5.1.2 firmware by following Root Junky's video, "How to Firmware Restore or Unbrick your Amazon Fire 5th gen Tablet"

Finally the Nexus ROM install was a success.

I flashed the Nexus ROM ("lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-20160405.zip")
    on to my Fire 7 (2015) firmware version 5.1.2 using Flashfire v.031.

I rooted the Fire 7 (firmware ver 5.1.2) with Root Junky's SuperTool ("AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip" - April 6. 2016 version).

Here are the steps I used to root the Fire 7 and install the Nexus ROM on it.
    I am going into detail in order to assist others.

Make sure your Fire 7 tablet is fully charged.

1. First I reset the Fire 7 to Amazon factory defaults. You do this by booting the Fire 7 while holding down the Power and Volume-Down (left side of Vol button) buttons. Don't release the buttons until the "Amazon system recovery" menu appears.
    -While holding down the Power and Vol-Down buttons, first the "Amazon" logo appears, then the "Amazon system recovery" menu appears. Using the Volume keys, I highlighted "wipe data/factory reset" then I pressed the Power button to perform the task.
    -Then using the Volume keys, I highlighted "wipe cache partition" and then I pressed the Power button to perform the task.
    -Finally with "reboot system now" highlighted, I pressed the Power button to reboot the system.

2. The Fire logo appeared for a few minutes (a bar may appear and a message about updating software might appear). It may take up to 10 minutes to boot.
    -Then the Fire 7 Setup screen finally appears. I selected the language and then I connected the Fire to my Wifi (Kingroot needs an internet connection in order to root the Fire using RootJunky's SuperTool). I skipped the portion of the Fire setup that registers the Fire with Amazon.

3. Go to SETTINGS, DEVICE OPTIONS on the Fire 7.
    Tap on the SERIAL NUMBER field 7 to 10 times.
    This opens a new field below titled, DEVELOPER OPTIONS. Click on Developer Options. Make sure ENABLE ADB is turned on (switch is to the right and orange color, rather than off and grayed out).

4. Using the data cable that comes with the Fire, I connected it to my Windows 10 computer on a USB 2.0 port. I copied the Nexus rom (lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-20160405.zip) to the root folder of my SD Card.

5. I then rooted my Fire using RootJunky's SuperTool. Make sure to watch Root Junky's YouTube video with great rooting instructions.
    (AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip - April 6. 2016 version).

6. I installed a copy of Fireflash v.031 on my Fire 7.
    (RootJunky's SuperTool only had Fireflash v.030 at the time. I had a copy of Fireflash v.031 .apk that I downloaded from a European server. I replaced Root Junky's copy of v.30 with my copy of v.031 and installed Fireflash on my Fire 7 using Root Junky's SuperTool batch file). I then disconnected the data cable from the Fire 7.

7. I started Fireflash v.031 and made the following menu selections:

- Click the Red + and choose 'Wipe'
    - Ensure System data, 3rd party apps and Dalvik cache are CHECKED
    - Click the Red + button and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
    - Navigate to and choose the latest Fire Nexus ROM Zip (I used "lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-20160405.zip" that I had previously loaded on the root folder of the SD Card.)
    - Ensure Auto-mount and Mount /system read/write are UNCHECKED
    - Move (drag) "Wipe" to the Top of the order (just above the ROM flashing).
    - Press the big FLASH button.
    - Ignore any warnings that appear.

8. The screen will go black for a few seconds.
    -Then it will say, "Loading" and lines of text will go by rapidly for a few seconds.
    -A red bar will then appear at the top of the screen titled "Fireflash".
    -The rest of the screen is black. Don't touch the tablet. Just let the program run. It takes 5 or 10 minutes. It looks like nothing is happening, but it is.
    -Finally the tablet will reboot. The Amazon logo will appear for a little while, then a pulsing color dots animation will appear. This dot animation will run for 5 or 10 minutes more as the tablet boots for the first time. Don't touch the tablet until a Setup screen appears.

9. You can now set up the tablet, registering it with Google and loading your desired apps.

Nexus is a nice ROM. Much better and faster than the stock Amazon Store ROM.

Good Luck with installing the Nexus ROM on your Fire 7, it's well worth all the effort.
    You need to downgrade to 5.1.2 via ADB Sideload and then you go ahead with the tool from here.
    Rooting works best with a fresh install, just skip the followed registration process on the device.
    Maybe you need to insert WiFi key, but skip everything else until you got root.

ok all you crazy hard bricking Amazon Fire 5th gen 7in loves here it is firmware downgrade fire os 5.1.2 supertool