[HOW-TO] Speed Up UI/Fix Lag

Search This thread

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Would like to try this, but I'm a little afraid after reading that people have soft bricked their phones trying it. Is there any way to raise the heap size without having to have a program to do it? Would seem like something you should be able to do via adb.

Besides, what would memory size have to do with battery?

Mike

you can use root explorer to add command line into the build.prop

debug.sf.hw=1 (this does the same thing as checking the first box)

it can be added on its own line anywhere in the build prop. this forces hardware acceleration. reboot for it to take effect.as fas as changing the heap sizes without the app, i think you can do it in the build.prop also

daneurysm

Jun 13, 2010
you can use root explorer to add command line into the build.prop

debug.sf.hw=1 (this does the same thing as checking the first box)

it can be added on its own line anywhere in the build prop. this forces hardware acceleration. reboot for it to take effect.as fas as changing the heap sizes without the app, i think you can do it in the build.prop also

I've also found that either changing your ro.HOME_APP_MEM to ro.HOME_APP_MEM=4096 (or adding the line if it doesn't exist) helps absolutely eliminate the lag/jittery entrance to your app drawer for good...and that has always irked the hell out of me.

EDIT: Yeah, you're going to want to do that in your build.prop as well.

Last edited:

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
So has anyone who has raised the vm heap pass 64 had any performance gain or negative issues??? Have mine at 64 but was thinking about going higher?? Any opinions would be great. Thanks

Edit: NM

Locked & Loaded
""Shooter on Deck""

Last edited:

runeazn

Apr 11, 2011
ahrdware accel enable + 64mb
reboot

i tried and now internet takes up 150mb ram???
dude? what is this^^^
and i dont see any changes too..

and the settings are back to stock? or is this normal but it is written?

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Just my 2 cents.

I did some extensive performance testing this weekend and at least on Warm TwoPointThree, 64M cache was actually too big, hindering performance.

I've got it set back to 32M and it "feels" snappier to me.

Was wondering if anyone else has done A/B testing between 32 and 64?

Reactions: Product F(RED)

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
Just my 2 cents.

I did some extensive performance testing this weekend and at least on Warm TwoPointThree, 64M cache was actually too big, hindering performance.

Myn what up dude!! I've found 64 to be the sweet spot I'm on viperrom. Did you get you a EVO3D yet?

sent from my DAMN EVO!!!

CheesyNutz

Oct 26, 2010
Springfield
Just my 2 cents.

Hell with the heap ... When's the ROM dropping LOL

E3D

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Just my 2 cents.

It's the opposite for me. Everything, including the ROM itself, loads faster at 64M. I haven't really noticed any negatives. Maybe it was the tweaks you did to the ROM? I'm on ViperROM and even with the stock kernel I notice a big, visible performance boost at 64M.

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007

E3D

We've got 90% of the features we planned for Warm TwoPointThree RLS 1 implemented.

Theming and the polish is still left which may take another week or two.

It's the opposite for me. Everything, including the ROM itself, loads faster at 64M. I haven't really noticed any negatives. Maybe it was the tweaks you did to the ROM? I'm on ViperROM and even with the stock kernel I notice a big, visible performance boost at 64M.

It may have been the tweaks. I've added a ton of them and they may contribute to the experience.

For now I'm sticking with 32. Would definitely welcome everyone's input once we start the beta testing.

runeazn

Apr 11, 2011
I get up exception not root after saving but I am rooted and gave it super user acres

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app you run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer, then reboot. After that do these steps:

1) Download Blade Buddy
    2) Advanced Settings
    3) Check the first box for hardware acceleration
    4) Scroll down, Dalvik VM Heap = 64M
    5) Hit Save -> Yes, then manually reboot. If you hit Apply, it's temporary until reboot.

Goodbye lag. You'll notice Sense is a lot quicker, especially scrolling through the app drawer.

E3D

We've got 90% of the features we planned for Warm TwoPointThree RLS 1 implemented.

Theming and the polish is still left which may take another week or two.

It may have been the tweaks. I've added a ton of them and they may contribute to the experience.

For now I'm sticking with 32. Would definitely welcome everyone's input once we start the beta testing.
    Guys be careful of this setting as higher numbers dun necessary equates best performance.

Your memory is like a huge blank page of paper, the cache determines how many "words" can be written on a page before the system turn to another page. So more words, less pages, less words, more pages.

Paging cost responsiveness so you wouldnt want the system to turn too many pages but too many words on a page also costs CPU time to read thru the whole page.

Basically that is the concept so hope you guys can find the optimal value for optimal performance. :)
    Just my 2 cents.

I get this error too and I have root.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App