[Kernel][ACS][GPL] Twilight Zone Kernel v1.1.1 - Hajime-taisho

Search This thread

tanimn

Oct 17, 2010
tanimn and the Android Creative Syndicate are proud to present the...
Twilight Zone Kernel
version 1.1.1 - Hajime-taisho​

Built from the ground up (again) with EC05 sources (this time), incorporating many of the tweaks and optimizations that have not been available since Eclair(OK, so it's not that long ago now), Twilight Zone now beats as the heart of SyndicateROM. As of version 1.1.1 you can expect things like:

v1.1.1:
  • Core and modules rebuilt with CrossTools-NG
  • All voltages back to stock and user controlled undervolting enabled - Thanks raspdeep
  • Native ClockWorkMod 3.0.2.5 recovery built in
  • TinyRCU ported and enabled - Thanks paulmck
  • The perfect hardware keyboard delay - Thanks theimpaler747
  • Fixed a DNS server typo - Thanks Rodderik
  • Voodoo sound updated to v8 - Thanks supercurio
  • DVSINT1 back to stock values
  • VTP tethering fixed
  • read_ahead_kb to 2048 for sdcard performance - Thanks brainmaster
  • Handset can be used as a bootable usb device on a PC - Thanks Vincent Palatin
  • CIFS and TUN compiled into core and most debugging off - Thanks gzub
  • BFQ disk scheduler - Thanks richardtrip
  • Display undervolt - Thanks richardtrip and koxudaxi
  • Conservative governor fixed and defaulted.
  • Interactive governor - Thanks Mike Chan

v1.1.0:
  • Back to basics with fresh EC05 source and codesourcery 2009q3 toolchain
  • Voodoo Sound v6 - Thanks supercurio
  • 1.3ghz new top speed - Thanks Rodderik (Some phones may not tolerate this for long, if at all. YMMV.)
  • 600mhz step added for smoother scaling at stock frequencies
  • Conservative governor is fixed. (OnDemand is still default.)
  • Adjustable hadware keyboard patch - Thanks mkasick
  • tun.ko added to modules for VPN support
  • Framerate cap raised to 72fps - Thanks Rodderik
  • DVSINT1 raised to 1.125v for higher clocks and better stability
  • Sports mode back and working for the camera
  • sysfs interface for scaling_available_frequencies - Thanks nullghost

v1.0.3:
  • Compiled with newer 2010.09 codesourcery toolchain
  • Now boots with the conservative governor at 800mhz
  • Automatically switches to 1ghz with the ondemand governor once booted
  • Undervolts are less agressive to accomodate more handsets and stabilize app behaviour.
  • Removed the hardware keyboard fix until it can be made to play nice with the toolchain.
  • Fixed the battery charging animation
  • Incorporated the new RNDIS/ADB feature discovered by mkasick
  • Patched the malware exploit revealed by Rodderik

v1.0.2:
  • It's not something we talk about...

v1.0.1:
  • Restored clock scaling via setcpu

v1.0:
  • 1.2ghz Overclocked and Undervolted
  • Dual filesystem support (rfs and ext4)
  • Native ext4 support compiled right in
  • Kernel based root permissions
  • Built-in busybox (version 1.18git. 1.18.3 is gimped)
  • Init.d script support
  • RNDIS/ADB Coexistence
  • TCPMSS Clamping (Allows mismatched MTU's to function properly)
  • Idle timer from 2.6.34 kernel
  • Cortex A8 Optimizations
  • Hardware Keyboard Tweaked (fix for dropped keystrokes)
  • Camera sports mode force close patched
  • Fully optimized build for the fastest code available

Bugs:
  • Some phones do not boot past black screen with samsungmobile banner:
    Adjusted the cpu clock for the boot process. This issue should now be closed.
  • Launcher constantly reloading:
    Relaxed the undervolts so the cpu has enough juice not to choke.

Sources:
Source code for this kernel is available from Github

Notes:
Overclocking safely would be nearly impossible without a tool like setcpu from Michael Huang. If you haven't already picked it up, it's available from the Android Market, and he also maintains a thread right here on xda for it HERE. You should pop on over and say thanks for such a great tool. I hear donations are always welcome. :)

On a stock rom setup for daily use this kernel pulls 16's in linpack and 1550+ in quadrant standard. Try it in its native habitat of SyndicateROM Frozen for a real treat. Couple this with k0nane's optimizations and you will start to see what your phone can really do.

Thanks need to go out to nullghost, thomasskull666, mkasick, Rodderik, DevinXtreme, and k0nane for leading the way here. Without their work and help, I would be lost in a sea of unfamiliar code. Most of the code that went into this kernel is ports of work from DI18 and other handsets. If I've missed anybody who's work I've used, please let me know and I will correct the omission immediately.

A special thanks to Rodderik. A gaffe with mixed up files left me thinking some of his code was samsung source, and a lot of the overclock work is built from his accomplishments. (Is that a good thing or bad thing to be mistaken for samsung developers?)

A heavy dose of heartfelt gratitude goes out to the entire ACS team, whose support and inspiration made this journey possible. I won't name any names, but just remember when you see an ACS tag that THAT person helped make this happen. So without further ado; grab your keys of imagination and cross over into the Twilight Zone...

Place zip on sdcard and flash through clockworkmod recovery:
Be sure to wipe dalvik-cache before booting.

Links to Download Twilight Zone Kernel v1.1.1

Twilight Zone 1.1.1 - ACS

Links to Download Twilight Zone Kernel v1.1.0

Twilight Zone 1.1.0 - ACS
Twilight Zone 1.1.0 - Hosted by k0nane

If you have trouble with the current version, please try a 1.0 release.
Links to previous versions:

Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.4 - ACS
Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.3 - ACS
Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.1 - Hosted by k0nane

ACS - From spontaneous ingenuity comes creative brilliance...

The Twilight Zone kernel, like all ACS productions, are not and will never be donationware. You are free to make use of it and distribute it under the terms of the GPL. Please be aware, however, that many hours have been donated from many people to realize this release, and will continue to be donated to subsequent releases. If you wish to contribute your time, energy, or generosity to the continued development of this project, it will be graciously appreciated.

Last edited:

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D
...for future use.

Finished_logo.png

Visit ACS's new home at http://www.acsyndicate.net, and follow us on Twitter at @ACSyndicate!​

Last edited:

BeerChameleon

Aug 21, 2008
Tucson,Arizona.
Cool!!! Will be flashing now!!! :) Does it work on dk28? Does this have the wired tether fix thing? Also does this have the camera fix too?

Last edited:

burgerpimp07

Dec 25, 2010
Running smoothly.

I'm sure you are aware, but it doesn't drop below 200MHz. The genocide kernel had the same issue until todays update of 0.4a.

BeerChameleon

Aug 21, 2008
Tucson,Arizona.
Cool kernal, have a suggestion tho, can u move the name of the kerbal to the firmware version rather in the build, just a small suggestions, so I can see my rom and kernal.

Sent from My Eb13 Modem, With old bonsai epic 4g.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tanimn and the Android Creative Syndicate are proud to present the...
    Twilight Zone Kernel
    version 1.1.1 - Hajime-taisho​

Built from the ground up (again) with EC05 sources (this time), incorporating many of the tweaks and optimizations that have not been available since Eclair(OK, so it's not that long ago now), Twilight Zone now beats as the heart of SyndicateROM. As of version 1.1.1 you can expect things like:

v1.1.1:
    • Core and modules rebuilt with CrossTools-NG
    • All voltages back to stock and user controlled undervolting enabled - Thanks raspdeep
    • Native ClockWorkMod 3.0.2.5 recovery built in
    • TinyRCU ported and enabled - Thanks paulmck
    • The perfect hardware keyboard delay - Thanks theimpaler747
    • Fixed a DNS server typo - Thanks Rodderik
    • Voodoo sound updated to v8 - Thanks supercurio
    • DVSINT1 back to stock values
    • VTP tethering fixed
    • read_ahead_kb to 2048 for sdcard performance - Thanks brainmaster
    • Handset can be used as a bootable usb device on a PC - Thanks Vincent Palatin
    • CIFS and TUN compiled into core and most debugging off - Thanks gzub
    • BFQ disk scheduler - Thanks richardtrip
    • Display undervolt - Thanks richardtrip and koxudaxi
    • Conservative governor fixed and defaulted.
    • Interactive governor - Thanks Mike Chan

v1.1.0:
    • Back to basics with fresh EC05 source and codesourcery 2009q3 toolchain
    • Voodoo Sound v6 - Thanks supercurio
    • 1.3ghz new top speed - Thanks Rodderik (Some phones may not tolerate this for long, if at all. YMMV.)
    • 600mhz step added for smoother scaling at stock frequencies
    • Conservative governor is fixed. (OnDemand is still default.)
    • Adjustable hadware keyboard patch - Thanks mkasick
    • tun.ko added to modules for VPN support
    • Framerate cap raised to 72fps - Thanks Rodderik
    • DVSINT1 raised to 1.125v for higher clocks and better stability
    • Sports mode back and working for the camera
    • sysfs interface for scaling_available_frequencies - Thanks nullghost

v1.0.3:
    • Compiled with newer 2010.09 codesourcery toolchain
    • Now boots with the conservative governor at 800mhz
    • Automatically switches to 1ghz with the ondemand governor once booted
    • Undervolts are less agressive to accomodate more handsets and stabilize app behaviour.
    • Removed the hardware keyboard fix until it can be made to play nice with the toolchain.
    • Fixed the battery charging animation
    • Incorporated the new RNDIS/ADB feature discovered by mkasick
    • Patched the malware exploit revealed by Rodderik

v1.0.2:
    • It's not something we talk about...

v1.0.1:
    • Restored clock scaling via setcpu

v1.0:
    • 1.2ghz Overclocked and Undervolted
    • Dual filesystem support (rfs and ext4)
    • Native ext4 support compiled right in
    • Kernel based root permissions
    • Built-in busybox (version 1.18git. 1.18.3 is gimped)
    • Init.d script support
    • RNDIS/ADB Coexistence
    • TCPMSS Clamping (Allows mismatched MTU's to function properly)
    • Idle timer from 2.6.34 kernel
    • Cortex A8 Optimizations
    • Hardware Keyboard Tweaked (fix for dropped keystrokes)
    • Camera sports mode force close patched
    • Fully optimized build for the fastest code available

Bugs:
    • Some phones do not boot past black screen with samsungmobile banner:
      Adjusted the cpu clock for the boot process. This issue should now be closed.
    • Launcher constantly reloading:
      Relaxed the undervolts so the cpu has enough juice not to choke.

Sources:
    Source code for this kernel is available from Github

Notes:
    Overclocking safely would be nearly impossible without a tool like setcpu from Michael Huang. If you haven't already picked it up, it's available from the Android Market, and he also maintains a thread right here on xda for it HERE. You should pop on over and say thanks for such a great tool. I hear donations are always welcome. :)

On a stock rom setup for daily use this kernel pulls 16's in linpack and 1550+ in quadrant standard. Try it in its native habitat of SyndicateROM Frozen for a real treat. Couple this with k0nane's optimizations and you will start to see what your phone can really do.

Thanks need to go out to nullghost, thomasskull666, mkasick, Rodderik, DevinXtreme, and k0nane for leading the way here. Without their work and help, I would be lost in a sea of unfamiliar code. Most of the code that went into this kernel is ports of work from DI18 and other handsets. If I've missed anybody who's work I've used, please let me know and I will correct the omission immediately.

A special thanks to Rodderik. A gaffe with mixed up files left me thinking some of his code was samsung source, and a lot of the overclock work is built from his accomplishments. (Is that a good thing or bad thing to be mistaken for samsung developers?)

A heavy dose of heartfelt gratitude goes out to the entire ACS team, whose support and inspiration made this journey possible. I won't name any names, but just remember when you see an ACS tag that THAT person helped make this happen. So without further ado; grab your keys of imagination and cross over into the Twilight Zone...

Place zip on sdcard and flash through clockworkmod recovery:
    Be sure to wipe dalvik-cache before booting.

Links to Download Twilight Zone Kernel v1.1.1

Twilight Zone 1.1.1 - ACS

Links to Download Twilight Zone Kernel v1.1.0

Twilight Zone 1.1.0 - ACS
    Twilight Zone 1.1.0 - Hosted by k0nane

If you have trouble with the current version, please try a 1.0 release.
    Links to previous versions:

Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.4 - ACS
    Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.3 - ACS
    Twilight Zone Kernel v1.0.1 - Hosted by k0nane

ACS - From spontaneous ingenuity comes creative brilliance...

The Twilight Zone kernel, like all ACS productions, are not and will never be donationware. You are free to make use of it and distribute it under the terms of the GPL. Please be aware, however, that many hours have been donated from many people to realize this release, and will continue to be donated to subsequent releases. If you wish to contribute your time, energy, or generosity to the continued development of this project, it will be graciously appreciated.

P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D
    ...for future use.

Finished_logo.png

Visit ACS's new home at http://www.acsyndicate.net, and follow us on Twitter at @ACSyndicate!​
    Sorry folks. If you've ever seen the movie paycheck, that's me (minus the great paydays). I chase off down the rabbit hole in pursuit of a goal and tend to not come up for air til I'm done. For the moment, I'm done.
    Hope you're all enjoying 1.1.0, I found it sitting down to tea with the mad hatter and Rod Serling. ;)

From reading through the whole thread I haven't seen it mention that it's undervolted anywhere other than 1.0ghz still, is this correct? and if so with the new kernel for the best battery is it better to go back to using 100 x 1000 in conservative (since it's been fixed per OP). I'm only asking as I'm always looking to pull some more juice out of the battery although I am enjoying the new overclocks as well. Phone is running as smooth as ever thanks so much for the hard work.

I'm running the new frozen 1.1

The answer to this question is more complicated than it seems. There are really only 2 legitimate undervolts in this kernel, 1 at 1ghz, and 1 at 200mhz, both within the stock frequency range. Each frequency relies on 2 voltages: DVSARM and DVSINT, of which there are only 4 and 2 values allowed respectively across the entire range of frequencies, of which there are 3 extra in this kernel. Got it so far?

The complete voltage table and stock values are as follows:

Speed: DVSARM / DVSINT - Stock / Values
    1.3ghz: 1.325v / 1.125v - NA / NA
    1.2ghz: 1.325v / 1.125v - NA / NA
    1.0ghz: 1.200v / 1.125v - 1.275v / 1.100v
    800mhz: 1.200v / 1.125v - 1.200v / 1.100v
    600mhz: 1.100v / 1.125v - NA / NA
    400mhz: 1.100v / 1.125v - 1.050v / 1.100v
    200mhz: .950v / 1.000v - .950v / 1.100v
    100mhz: .950v / 1.000v - .950v / 1.000v

3 frequencies don't even exist in stock, so we technically can't classify them as over or under volts, even though they have to be included within the previously mentioned limits. One of the 2 DVSINT values had to be increased to stabilize the higher frequencies without raising a DVSARM voltage to unsafe levels, thus requiring it to be raised across all frequencies it affects. Suprisingly, this seems to have IMPROVED battery performance. I'm still trying to figure that one out...

At any rate, while I love a good agressive undervolt (remember 1.0.1?), I have to make sure that a majority of phones will boot and run well. So I am reduced to the best compromise I can manage. There should still be room to improve in the mid ranges, but that will take a lot more testing against handsets that behave poorly with undervolts before it get's implemented here.

Also you mentioned the keyboard fix is adjustable? Is there a menu for this?

There is no menu for this. If you want to adjust the patch value, you need to run commands from a rooted shell, or create an init.d script to apply custom values at every startup. If you do the following:

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay

from a terminal, you will see what the default is set to. you can modify this setting by echoing a new value to that file like so:

Code:
    echo "3" > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay

The setting should already be optimized, but the option is now there to change it if desired.

How are you suppose to test stability of oc for your phone in setcpu? I ran the stress test at 1.3ghz with no errors was there other tests to confirm stability?

Within SetCPU, that's about the only thing you can do. I used various benchmark softwares to put the cpu under load at different frequencies to test the stability. Things you can try are smartbench, neocore, quadrant, linpack... There are more, that's just what I used. Just don't set setcpu to enable on boot until you are comfortable with your settings.

I'll be posting a sunset version of the 1.0 kernel in the near future for people who prefer that line, but expect the 1.1 versions to surpass it's features very shortly.

Finally let me just say thank you to everybody here. Your input, feedback, and support have been invaluable to this process. I couldn't have done it without you.
    LOL ! Just don't forget the lowly Epic folks you left behind ... toss us some scraps every now and then ... LOL

Oh I still have my Epic :) Stuff should still be coming from me that'll work for it too
    Would you folks mind making two kernel configuration changes?

First, to enable /proc/config.gz support (CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y, CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y), and second, to compile TCPMSS support into the kernel (as opposed to a module, CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y). If you do, you can also remove the xt_TCPMSS.ko module from the initramfs and the insmod call for it in init.rc.

Attached is a patch against defconfig that does this. I've been running with TCPMSS support built-in (which it was in DI18) for a week and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure why Samsung even changed it.

I ask because, WiFi Tether v3.0-pre5+ includes support for MSS clamping, but the option to enable it only appears if it sees CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y in /proc/config.gz. If it does, then an "MSS clamping" option appears under "LAN" in the WiFi Tether Settings menu.

I've been encouraging MSS clamping support for a little while now as a precautionary measure. However, in the past week folks have been reporting trouble with WiMAX tethering in certain (typically recently-deployed) markets, where it appears that fragmented packets are dropped by the network.

The common symptom is that tethering works fine on 3G, but on WiMAX most pages don't work. Google sites typically do, but this is expected as Google sites are often not very data heavy and tend not to result in packet fragmentation. It's confirmed that there's an MTU mismatch, and in one case it's confirmed that MSS clamping resolves the issue. Hence the issue is a bit more pressing than it was previously.

As a bonus, this means that SyndicateROM Frozen can boast having better WiMAX tethering support than the official Hotspot client.