[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

Search This thread

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
I have Nook Glowlight 1.1.5 - and registered at B&N via the same e-mail which used at Google Youtube and Gmail.

When I try register youtube (menu > my channel > add account) - I got a message:

youtube sign-in
There was a network error while trying to sign in to email. Retry now or press the Back button to cancel.
TRY AGAIN

BUT Internet WORKS! In Youtube - I can even browse videos.

I keep trying to register account many many times - and eventually it got logged! Then I opened gmail app and synced - it closed.
Then I reboot to recovery and installed "beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END" (after install I got message "Finishing installation after Youtube registration and Gmail fail.") then I rebooted, opened market and got a message:

"Attention. A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."

I erased and deregister Nook (via Nook settings) and then make factory defaults/wipe data via CWM Recovery - then installed glownooter again (I did all steps)! And again I can't register youtube account normally (just after 20 attempts of entering login data). And in the end after opening market I got the same error.

Hi,
Did you do anything particular, I am experiencing that youtube error, can't login still.
Or could you post a working link for http://4pda.ru/forum/dl/post/1862868/RusRoot.zip?

hikewithmike

Aug 8, 2010
I just purchased a Nook Glow today, started it, registered it with my Google account, and promptly shut it off and began the rooting process, step-for-step. How long is it supposed to be at the loading screen after reboot--the "Read Forever"?

Thanks in advance.

CATCubano

Jun 26, 2011
I just purchased a Nook Glow today, started it, registered it with my Google account, and promptly shut it off and began the rooting process, step-for-step. How long is it supposed to be at the loading screen after reboot--the "Read Forever"?

Thanks in advance.

It's been a while, but as I recall, no more than a few minutes. If it's still there, then something definately went wrong. Let us know if you are all set or if you are still having trouble.

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal

Thanks in advance.

My guess would be that your battery ran out ;)

Try plugging it into power for a couple of hours and then reboot again.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I doubt if your problem had anything to do with the battery, as the problem symptom is quite typical of what many folks (including myself) encountered from a failed rooting attempt with a NST.

basementcat

Jan 4, 2012
EDIT: this worked http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34216660#post34216660

Hi Guise (& gurlz).

Today I picked up a Nook Simple Touch v1.2.0 in the UK for £59

How reliable is the rooting process on this firmware? I hear people may have successfully used the rooted v1.2.0 NST GlowLight firmware but I wanted to check first before heading down that path.

2012-12-07%2022.13.54.jpg

Last edited:

overpower

Sep 15, 2008
I let it reset itself to factory defaults and charged the battery completely. I'll give it another go when time permits.

How did you get it to reset to factory defaults? I can confirm I have a US 1.2 NTG and couldn't get it to root. It sits on Read Forever. We probably need an update for 1.2.

UPDATE: Turns out you just need to power it on and off about 8 times and it'll restore to defaults. Until there is an update, the OP method does not work for US 1.2.

Last edited:

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005
I will test it... Thanks GabrialDestruir

EDIT: Tested... Thanks a lot GabrialDestruir

Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.

Last edited:

imb951

Nov 8, 2009
Just got my gf a Nook Glow. Just updated it manually to 1.2.1 and will soon get a sd card and try this. Looking forward to it.

Jiv_au

Apr 15, 2011
Unfortunately GlowNooter 1.12.25 with my Nook Simple Touch 1.2.1 didn't seem to like each other.

I can get through the installation process fine.

Youtube signing fine, Gmail syncs (and I can read my mail).

Market launches fine - though any attempt at search yields no response and no result.

When I try to launch Opera, nothing happens. Same with Super Manager.
But you can tell that they have launched (and not just FCed) as you can press the home button for a while to bring up the list of currently running apps.

Wondering if the framework.jar is incompatible between Glow and no-Glow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
      2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
      3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
      5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
      6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
        • Click Yes and let Complete
        • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
        • Click Reboot
      22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
      • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
    Download Searchmarket app from a browser. The market search is broken on rooted NST.

I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.

Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
    The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
    I'll try it. Really, all I want to get is the amazon kindle app, the rest of it Ii don't really care about. but when I bring up the amazon app-store, it won't show me the kindle app. For some reason it will show me most everything else.

I tried downloading an amazon kindle apk, but the sites that had it looked kinda scary.

And after messing around a bit more, I realized that my BN account info isn't in settings either. I'm going to try the whole mess again. Can I take a kindle apk from my phone and just copy it to the sdcard and install it?

The newer versions of Kindle won't work on the Glow. The version included below seems to be the latest version that works.