Miscellaneous files?

Search This thread

DaemonAshra

Oct 17, 2009
Mesa
I still havent seen an answer for this issue, but I have over 6GB of Miscellaneous Files in Setting->Storage. nothing in there shows that much info, so I know its from loading different ROMs. I have no idea how to get rid of these files. I've been looking all around CWM for something to clear, but I'm not too confident about messing with that.

Does anyone have an idea of how to clear up this stuff?

Reactions: chris181rt

Coop9

Jul 15, 2010
Do you have a few nandroid backups? Those will register there. If you're using TWRP, there's a TWRP folder and you can remove them or archive them off. Clockwork is the same, I just don't remember offhand where it stores them.

If this isn't it, you can install busybox, and then either adb shell, or use a terminal emulator on the phone and run `du /mnt/sdcard -hl -d 1` you can then drill down to the directories which are the biggest offenders. Changing the 1 to another number increases the depth that it reports.

Reactions: bamaredwingsfan

DaemonAshra

Oct 17, 2009
Mesa
Do you have a few nandroid backups? Those will register there. If you're using TWRP, there's a TWRP folder and you can remove them or archive them off. Clockwork is the same, I just don't remember offhand where it stores them.

If this isn't it, you can install busybox, and then either adb shell, or use a terminal emulator on the phone and run `du /mnt/sdcard -hl -d 1` you can then drill down to the directories which are the biggest offenders. Changing the 1 to another number increases the depth that it reports.
Okay. I finally managed to get this started. I went through terminal emulator and found that the /sdcard is only 7.6GB while the number in the main settings says over 10. /android has 2GB from some games, but I can't find anything showing where the 6GB of miscellaneous file is at. Even cwm is only 1.7GB from the one backup I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

DaemonAshra

Oct 17, 2009
Mesa
I've been fiddling with this for the last day or so and found that under miscellaneous file, System Memory now shows up as taking 3.67 GB of data. I've been looking everywhere to see where that much info could be, but I'm kinda stuck now.

I now know where that extra space has gone, but I have no idea how to free it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: greenja

greenja

May 17, 2013
Galaxy S4 Miscellaneous Files: what and where are they?

So I'm getting a warning that the internal SD is out of memory, I've moved all movable apps to external SD, photos, music too.

Rooted and have TWIP as recovery *BUT* before I install a custom ROM, I want a backup *BUT* there's no room as the backup wants to use internal SD (not external)

Somehow Miscellaneous Files show over 8GB but in My Files it only shows about 200MB addressable (erasable). I deleted all Dropbox files and saved 200MB.

Where the heck are the other 7.8GB of files? How can I see them please?

Thanks in advance.

jinan

Dec 6, 2004
Male'
So I'm getting a warning that the internal SD is out of memory, I've moved all movable apps to external SD, photos, music too.

Rooted and have TWIP as recovery *BUT* before I install a custom ROM, I want a backup *BUT* there's no room as the backup wants to use internal SD (not external)

Somehow Miscellaneous Files show over 8GB but in My Files it only shows about 200MB addressable (erasable). I deleted all Dropbox files and saved 200MB.

Where the heck are the other 7.8GB of files? How can I see them please?

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat with no solution

Reactions: chris181rt

jinan

Dec 6, 2004
Male'

tomer1976

Feb 1, 2009
I did this but didn't solve the problem for me. However, I did find a solution which worked for me. I used CWM, went in to the >Backup and Restore>Delete> and chose to delete all backups in the internal SD. Solved my problem :)

WOW!!!!
i am so happy i found your tip. finally i managed to clean the mysterious 9Gb in my storage.
thank you very much!!!

Adjetey Boye

Sep 24, 2012
Accra
Clean Data folder

I still havent seen an answer for this issue, but I have over 6GB of Miscellaneous Files in Setting->Storage. nothing in there shows that much info, so I know its from loading different ROMs. I have no idea how to get rid of these files. I've been looking all around CWM for something to clear, but I'm not too confident about messing with that.

Yes its kinda simple, at least it worked for me. Don't forget to thank me

Download ES Explorer

and go into the /data/media folder.
the troublesome files are there. Careful what you delete tho. For myself I had old remnants from another ROM and the entire rom zip file.
Don't forget the thanx button.

Last edited:
Reactions: dejson and ej8989

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
A lot of that is cached data for apps. If you use apps like gmusic, it caches music files to the device and that cache folder will grow. Root access will allow you to clear all your data es, including hidden files and that size will drop.

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
If you're rooted, get Cache Cleaner NG and let it wipe all that unnecessary data. I run it weekly.

With roms like gummy, you can click on Misc and see which app has all the data... It's likely something like Vine (it had a huuuuuuuge cache) or another app like gmusic.

Last edited:

DaemonAshra

Oct 17, 2009
Mesa
If you're rooted, get Cache Cleaner NG and let it wipe all that unnecessary data. I run it weekly.

With roms like gummy, you can click on Misc and see which app has all the data... It's likely something like Vine (it had a huuuuuuuge cache) or another app like gmusic.

Sir (or madam).

I need you to fully understand exactly how amazing of a person you are. I don't know where the data was or what ate it all, but this app got it all back and you are awesome for recommending it.

Eastsun

Jan 16, 2011
Yes its kinda simple, at least it worked for me.

Download ES Explorer

the troublesome files are there. Careful what you delete tho. For myself I had old remnants from another ROM and the entire rom zip file.

It worked for me, I have deleted the folder /data/media entirely。
Tks very much.

crobert33

Jul 14, 2014
I recently ran into a similar issue with my rooted nook tablet. It was killing my sd cards. When I put the sd cards in my laptop, I erased all partitions and that fixed them.

I used to be a moderator in a forum that helped people with car trouble. I have accumulated some good karma. please help me :)

dejson

May 21, 2007
Sarajevo

Download ES Explorer

Six and a half years later on XIAOMI redmi note 8T I habe finally found 6GB of data in orangenfox folder that I dont need ( for miui ota ). Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Clean Data folder

Download ES Explorer

backup *everything* and reformat *internal* SD card
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44217580#post44217580

hope it helps

I did this but didn't solve the problem for me. However, I did find a solution which worked for me. I used CWM, went in to the >Backup and Restore>Delete> and chose to delete all backups in the internal SD. Solved my problem :)