Amaze Bricked

Search This thread
G

glacierguy

My buddy also let his die all the way... I will warn him now to keep some juice in that thing. My battery got down to 1% yesterday... Whew close call. Thanks for heads up. I would switch to bulletproof 2.5 but I heard battery isn't as good... Maybe I will have to try

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Actually, I think I remember reading something a while back, but there's a problem with either some of the custom ROMs or recoveries.

I think some developers also warned NOT to let your battery discharge all the way when using the custom ROM/recovery, or else you won't be able to charge it again.

This was a while back though, so I don't know if this is the same problem.

So short version, don't let your phone's battery die down to 0% before charging it again.

Wow, that's scary to say the least especially with Amaze's horrible battery life :eek: . However, it would be great if you try to look for the source of this information otherwise it can create lot of panic here, its almost hard to believe. If that's the case, I'm better off with stock ROM.

My buddy also let his die all the way... I will warn him now to keep some juice in that thing. My battery got down to 1% yesterday... Whew close call. Thanks for heads up. I would switch to bulletproof 2.5 but I heard battery isn't as good... Maybe I will have to try

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

I'm also switching to Bulletproof, less battery is way better than no battery, lol
but how do we know..bulletproof is immune of this issue..anyone brave enough to test :D

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
Actually, I think I remember reading something a while back, but there's a problem with either some of the custom ROMs or recoveries.

I think some developers also warned NOT to let your battery discharge all the way when using the custom ROM/recovery, or else you won't be able to charge it again.

So short version, don't let your phone's battery die down to 0% before charging it again.

I never let my rooted phone's battery go down to nothing, it always had a charge. I used it on and off at home, and it was plugged in most of the time. It was odd when I picked it up and went to turn it on, no screen, no turn on, nothing. Phone had over 90% last time I picked it up, maybe 4 hrs before I noticed it was done. There's no way it would have died that quick with how I used it.

Raydonn

Dec 18, 2010
Wow, that's scary to say the least especially with Amaze's horrible battery life :eek: . However, it would be great if you try to look for the source of this information otherwise it can create lot of panic here, its almost hard to believe. If that's the case, I'm better off with stock ROM.

I'm also switching to Bulletproof, less battery is way better than no battery, lol
but how do we know..bulletproof is immune of this issue..anyone brave enough to test :D

Unfortunately, I don't remember what thread it was in and couldn't find it. All I remember was reading it one day, and henceforth I stopped discharging my phone completely to avoid the issue.

Beyond that, you can only trust me on hearsay. (if someone else has more information, or remembers, be my guest!)

I never let my rooted phone's battery go down to nothing, it always had a charge. I used it on and off at home, and it was plugged in most of the time. It was odd when I picked it up and went to turn it on, no screen, no turn on, nothing. Phone had over 90% last time I picked it up, maybe 4 hrs before I noticed it was done. There's no way it would have died that quick with how I used it.

Without knowing for sure, but yours could also be a multitude of reasons (you actually did have a defective battery / rogue app(s) drained it in 4 hours / it was something else / etc.). However, I'm still prone to believe most of these reported issues with custom roms/recoveries are because the batteries were discharged completely. If someone were able to charge them again with an external charger, I bet it would work flawlessly again.

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
I thought the charging issue was a recovery problem. When xboarder was still developing here there were cases of this issue happening.
Since the threads have been closed/deleted then there are no longer any write ups regarding the concern.
My phone charges and turns on just fine when my battery is dead.
I'm using X's CWM Touch 5.8.0.9 and Energy ROM.

Last edited:

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
I thought the charging issue was a recovery problem. When xboarder was still developing here there were cases of this issue happening.
Since the threads have been closed/deleted then there are no longer any write ups regarding the concern.
My phone charges and turns on just fine when my battery is dead.
I'm using X's CWM Touch 5.8.0.9 and Energy ROM.

I have changed to X's touch recovery and kernel to Faux 009 and guess what I was able to revive my dead battery... I dont know where the bug lied exactly as somebody mentioned at other place the stock kernel in NRGZ thread is different from tmo stock and causing problems My guess is bad recovery though...

jcorv58

Dec 8, 2010
This is the issue I was having, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579498
I read somewhere that twrp was causing charging issues, still not sure completely. Usually when I get a new phone I let the battery die and then do a complete charge, not gonna do that again if that causes issues like I had.

realitysconcierge

Oct 2, 2010
This happened to me last night. My phone discharged all the way and now it won't boot up at all. I've let it discharge before with no problems.

I was running: recovery- CWM 5.0.2.6, kernel-stock, rom- energy 3/10/12

I guess I'll be hitting up the tmo store today.

G

glacierguy

Wait... My battery died last night and I tried charging it and it was flashing and not turning on... I let it charge for 15-20 min, did a battery pull, charged it for another minute, unplugged it and turned it on... It worked just fine :D

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

superevilllama

Jun 14, 2007
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dock-Batter...090330?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336f076f5a

Best thing I ever got for my phone. Under 4 bucks shipped. Works great if you are having issues charging your battery if you let it go completely dead. I don't use it much but don't worry about completely draining my battery anymore either.

Works well if you have a 2nd battery too, since you can charge a battery in the charger and use the USB plug at the same time.

Reactions: freakboy13

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Its not the kernel. The kernel has nothing to do with it. It is solely that recovery that is the issue

Sent from my NRGized Amaze...
via xda premium

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Its not the kernel. The kernel has nothing to do with it. It is solely that recovery that is the issue

via xda premium

Even I think so that too...but all the people who report this issue are on NRGZ rom with stock kernel. Somebody on android-dev also mentioned the kernel to be culprit, so mentioned as a possible. It could be easily validated though if someone using NRGZ rom and his stock kernel discharges his phone fully and is able to charge back..I've sold off my Amaze so I can't do this test..

On a side note, if we're sure its the bug with the recovery, mods should remove all remove all references of that recovery version from the Amaze forum as well as hasoon should remove that from his toolkit. I almost sent my phone back due to this bug, good thing I didn't but still had to suffer inconvenience of waiting 4-5 days with a dead phone while the battery was on its way.

Last edited:

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
Even I think so that too...but all the people who report this issue are on NRGZ rom with stock kernel. Somebody on android-dev also mentioned the kernel to be culprit, so mentioned as a possible. It could be easily validated though if someone using NRGZ rom and his stock kernel discharges his phone fully and is able to charge back..I've sold off my Amaze so I can't do this test..

On a side note, if we're sure its the bug with the recovery, mods should remove all remove all references of that recovery version from the Amaze forum as well as hasoon should remove that from his toolkit. I almost sent my phone back due to this bug, good thing I didn't but still had to suffer inconvenience of waiting 4-5 days with a dead phone while the battery was on its way.

I already did that. got a replacement battery, the battery I had in the stock amaze ran dry in the energy /w stock kernel, and couldn't charge. put the battery in the stock amaze and it still flashed a couple times but then charged up to 100%, and is still going strong. rooted phone had older cwm recovery and can't charge while off. Upgraded recovery and repeated same test, and was able to charge.

I think the fact that so many people ran that rom/kernel/recovery setup, sooner or later a few were bound to drain the battery 100% and have this happen to them.

Reactions: Mafioso

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
I already did that. got a replacement battery, the battery I had in the stock amaze ran dry in the energy /w stock kernel, and couldn't charge. put the battery in the stock amaze and it still flashed a couple times but then charged up to 100%, and is still going strong. rooted phone had older cwm recovery and can't charge while off. Upgraded recovery and repeated same test, and was able to charge.

I think the fact that so many people ran that rom/kernel/recovery setup, sooner or later a few were bound to drain the battery 100% and have this happen to them.

Ok thanks for the confirmation..so its due to bad recovery only..I will update the first post..

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Ok thanks for the confirmation..so its due to bad recovery only..I will update the first post..

I as well have had stock kernel and i charge my phone with it off after a complete battery drain all the time with no problem, using touch recovery. That was why i stated earlier it was a recovery problem.

via xda premium

realitysconcierge

Oct 2, 2010
Wait... My battery died last night and I tried charging it and it was flashing and not turning on... I let it charge for 15-20 min, did a battery pull, charged it for another minute, unplugged it and turned it on... It worked just fine :D

Well glacierguy, I followed your directions to a T and it worked perfectly. You earned this thanks for sure.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

G

glacierguy

Well glacierguy, I followed your directions to a T and it worked perfectly. You earned this thanks for sure.

I'm not gonna lie... I bugged out when it died... It was quite a sigh of relief for me as well once it booted... Glad it worked.

Also... I'm on Energy ROM with stock kernel... And my phone DID die completely, and it DID NOT need a new battery... :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC also replaces any accessory once, you could call and they'd probably send you a free battery.
    I just got another back cover from them, since my old one was creaking.

To Discharge the battery, you could get a couple led lights and tape them to the + and - terminals of the battery and just let it die.
    Radioshack has leds.

Probably not the easiest way... But it would work.

sounds like the same thing that happened to my backup amaze. I swapped batteries and the same issue was affecting the other one, so its the battery. One of my amaze's is rooted rom'd etc and the other is stock, and the same issue affected the stock one, so its not a brick.

Good time to upgrade to an anker :)
    ok went to the TMO store on my way back...but guys at there refused to test it out saying they don't have any tester battery's...moreover I'm not a TMO customer so they said they can't me help much either :mad:

Anyway, I called up HTC customer service, it seems they do honor warranty on tmobile sets, however I just asked them to ship me a replacement battery for now, if that doesn't work, I'll send the phone over to HTC for repair...

BTW customer support guy said the notification light blinks in case the battery is extremely dead. I hope it does work with new battery...I don't know how will they take it when they find unlocked bootloader and custom ROM installed on it...

With your phone being s-on, you can't technically brick your phone. So as long as it's a hardware failure, and you don't have s-off and haven't been holding out on us you should be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dock-Batter...090330?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336f076f5a

Best thing I ever got for my phone. Under 4 bucks shipped. Works great if you are having issues charging your battery if you let it go completely dead. I don't use it much but don't worry about completely draining my battery anymore either.

Works well if you have a 2nd battery too, since you can charge a battery in the charger and use the USB plug at the same time.