[APP] LeoCpuSpeed v4, control cpu speed & overclock

Search This thread

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
As some folks had already discovered by finding some test versions, I've been making an app to control the speed of the CPU. Started out as a test to determine if the "1ghz hack" was genuine or not, and ended up to be able to control cpu speed and to overclock to some degree.

First of all. This app is NO LONGER BEING DEVELOPED. You can use it as-is and at your own risk. And no, I won't make a WP7 version.

Features
- Updates CPU speed every half second (calculated from the processor registered directly! not from some driver)
- Can stress the CPU to show you that it goes up to 998mhz under load (when idle speed is less than 998mhz)
- Disable autoscaling so that you can control the speed yourself
- Select the speed you want by moving the slider or pressing 768/998 presets
- Automatically disable autoscaling and set speed at boot (via menu)
- Overclocking

Notes on auto-apply speed at startup
1) Disable autoscaling
2) Select the cpu speed you want
3) Menu > Apply speed at boot

Notes on overclocking
1) Obviously overclocking is completely at your own risk, as you could harm your device. Luckily, in most cases, your device will just lock up and you'll need to restart your device (remove battery, re-insert and turn on again).
2) The green buttons were the overclock settings that have been succesful 9 out of 10 times. The orange speeds have been succesful like 5 out of 10 times. The red speeds have never worked for me yet.
3) The higher the speed, the more unstable. This is mainly because I don't have a way to increase voltage of the core.
4) Overclocking only works on AC power! When on battery power, the overclock will work but will be undone within 500 milliseconds by the OS. Something within the OS, or a driver, or the radio rom, enforces the proper CPU speed every 500ms.

Notes on battery
I have seen only very very miniscule differences on battery usage when using 998MHz all the time. You really wouldn't notice the difference if it were at 998MHz all the time, or at 768MHz (default). The only thing you _do_ notice, is that it feels snappier.

Try playing a decent movie in TCPMP or coreplayer with autoscaling on, and try again with autoscaling off and at 998mhz. Huge difference. (Note that some ROMs already have autoscaling disabled and will run at 998MHz all the time, like CleanEX. You won't notice a difference there obviously.)

Screenshots
v3_ss1.png
v3_ss2.png
v3_ss3.png

Versions
v4
- For advanced users only: call LeoAutoCpuSpeed.exe with a custom performance level to set that speed (and disable autoscaling if enabled). So, calling "LeoAutoCpuSpeed 12" will set it to 768MHz. And FYI, 18 = 998MHz.

v3
- Add overclock
- Add auto-apply at startup

v2
- Add speed control by slider
- Enable/disable autoscaling

v1
- Initial version (only read cpu speed & stress cpu)

Known issues
Q: Current CPU speed reads 4294967 MHz, that's amazing!
A: Read here why that happens. It's at 128MHz or 256MHz when it shows this.

Q: CPU speed is at 921MHz and pressing 998MHz doesn't change it to 998MHz.
A: Click the 768 button, then the 998 button. It'll be at 998MHz now (has to do with the internals of the driver).

Download
HERE

Last edited:

Raudi1

Jun 11, 2008
Ostwestfalen
THX! I'm already using the v2 and it works well. The only thing I would want to know is how the autoscaling is handled. Sometimes it just stays at 998 MHz and there is no autoscaling(of course autoscaling enabled) and sometime it works. Sometimes it even dropped to .294967 MHz(I think this is the funny thing you mentioned in the other thread as it only happened on AC).

lemonspeakers

Jan 11, 2009
New York
Cab does not work. Just downloaded and installled the cab file. it says that the file "Could not find LeoClockLib.dll" And it exits me.

radiohead7778580

Apr 9, 2010
Chicago
great app... thank you very much!!!!

do you think there will be a way to leave the overclock on in battery mode and not ac only ?

thank you
for all your work

miko3d

Jun 17, 2006
Hey Netripper

first of all thx for this great tool.

I have been playing a bit with the new v3,and I found an extrange behaviour,overclock doesnt seem to work even when the HD2 is in AC/ charging,it displays the overclocked speed and quickly reverts back to 998,but if i start the stress test ,wait a couple of secs and overclock it then it works,even when the phone is not on AC charge!
i can change on the fly the overclocked speed as long as the stress cpu is going on, so its prettty pointless at this stage, but im wondering, either LeoCpuspeed gives the wrong speed and does the stress at 998 displaying wrong overclocked speeds or it does indeed work and keeps the overclocked speed at all time as long as the cpu is doing something.

Im using Chucky rom

Raudi1

Jun 11, 2008
Ostwestfalen
Hey Netripper
if i start the stress test ,wait a couple of secs and overclock it then it works,even when the phone is not on AC charge!
I can confirm it. As long as the cpu Stress is activated you can overclock on battery. But stopping it reverts it back to 998MHz. Another thing I noticed, is that as soon as you press the screen, it goes from .4294967 to 768MHz. But if you click with mymobiler, it doesn't change(only when clicking on a button etc.).

Hey Netripper

first of all thx for this great tool.

I have been playing a bit with the new v3,and I found an extrange behaviour,overclock doesnt seem to work even when the HD2 is in AC/ charging,it displays the overclocked speed and quickly reverts back to 998,but if i start the stress test ,wait a couple of secs and overclock it then it works,even when the phone is not on AC charge!
i can change on the fly the overclocked speed as long as the stress cpu is going on, so its prettty pointless at this stage, but im wondering, either LeoCpuspeed gives the wrong speed and does the stress at 998 displaying wrong overclocked speeds or it does indeed work and keeps the overclocked speed at all time as long as the cpu is doing something.

Im using Chucky rom

I am using artemis rom and i also noticed this behavior.

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
Something I noticed:

Freshly hard reset phone, 1.72 base, WM 6.5.

When running at 998 MHZ the taskbar is updating noticably slower. Just tested a few times to make sure. When pressing the startbutton, showing the start menu, and closing it with the X-button in the corner, the taskbar icons update. With 998mhz, this takes a few moments longer, resulting in a small stutter (pretty much the same as with the weather update). With scaling off and running at 768mhz, the update is definitely faster and stuttering is pretty much gone (as used to).

anyone can check with their device?

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
Fixed: I copied the .dll file from V2 into the startmenu folder under windows and then re-installed V3's cab. it works now. werid.
Glad it works now, but it sounds really weird. You shouldn't need a dll in \windows\startup, only a shortcut (if auto-apply is enabled) to the leoautocpuspeed.exe. The app creates this shortcut when you enable auto-apply. Maybe it conflicted with someleft-overs you had from v2? Dunno otherwise.

do you think there will be a way to leave the overclock on in battery mode and not ac only ?
I've been trying to figure it out for a while. Also tried patching coredll but I can't find the correct function to patch.

Thanks for that observation. That's a nice find. First of all it's weird you cannot overclock on AC the normal way, but it sounds related to the same problem on battery. It's weird that the device stays overclocked when under load. But it might help me localize where to look to fix this.

When running at 998 MHZ the taskbar is updating noticably slower. Just tested a few times to make sure. When pressing the startbutton, showing the start menu, and closing it with the X-button in the corner, the taskbar icons update. With 998mhz, this takes a few moments longer, resulting in a small stutter (pretty much the same as with the weather update). With scaling off and running at 768mhz, the update is definitely faster and stuttering is pretty much gone (as used to).

anyone can check with their device?
Are you sure you just disabled autoscaling, and did not press "start test"? To be absolutely sure, start the app, disable autoscaling, set it to 998mz, and press "exit" (the app does not need to keep running). If you still notice the performance hog, it's really weird. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @ Netripper...
    hello guy... i m back again in your thread because i ve read some interesting things on your apps...

• it appear now, you use directly registered CPU info and nothing about driver...
    • i've read some other NON-snapdragon device won't work...
    • i ve read on VARIOUS forum, your latest tool works on Snapdargon Acer S200

then i ask you to know if it works NOW on Toshiba TG01 snapdragon...
    but i know Toshiba create a bull**** device to hack something on it...

LeSScro
    1) Yes, i'm directly reading the clock registers from the chip, not using information or some API provided by a driver. Only for calculating clock speed and overclocking though. To adjust dynamic scaling I use the dvcs driver.
    2) Correct. I'm making use of something that the HTC SPL bootloader provides. Non-HTC devices don't have the same SPL so memory regions are differently mapped.
    3) I've only made this app for HTC HD2. Various people tried it on other devices. Search the thread and you will find your answer. The only way to make sure is to "Just Try It".

(btw, your use of CAPITAL LETTERS in sentences is annoying, just saying)

why isn't it possible for this thing to work without power supply? they did it with D2 and so on. Why not on snapdragon? what is the difference?
    obviously it is possible since android on hd2 can oc
    It's not a hardware limit. As you said, it does work on Android. Windows CE is just a pain in the ass and I can't find how to stop it from being a pain in the ass. Overclock in fact does work on battery, but as soon as you tap for example 1120 mhz, you see it switch for like a tenth of a second and then switch back to the original speed. This is the pain I meant :)

I've stopped working on this tool by the way.
    Ok, So from what I have gathered from the thread is, that you can enable overclocked speeds if you click stress cpu then select a higher speed even on battery.

Its supposed to be stressing the cpu, though if I use Fred's task manager an check processes's and and usage, its barely active at all.
    Usual reading is 0.09% usage.

So its really not stressing it much, and it stays at the higher clock speed untill rebooted.

I am going to leave it at a higher speed with stress option on and monitor it.

WR

Edit to add:I ran some benchmarks with core player, it seems to have its own built in acceleration, and has higher frame rates with auto scaling enabled then a set forced speed. How ever, the rest of the software and operating system operates as expected, faster as clocked up & snappier, and slower when set that way. Sorry if this has been already said or mentioned.
    Hi, NetRipper
    Would you update this app anymore?
    two problems are:
    1. Overclock only works when device is connected to PC, not AC power
    2. Can't overclock up to 1.5GHz, like m-deejay's kernel on Android
    Most reason to use back WM should be navigation and MP4 playback (65K color on ANdroid sucks while WM does great)
    Thank you.
    Hi,

Sorry I'm not working on this app anymore. I'm aware of the existing problems. It's not as easy as overclocking on Android unfortunately. In Linux you just adjust the kernel drivers and rebuild it from source, while on Windows Mobile that's not possible. So it needs all sorts of hacks that causes various problems: not working on AC/battery because of power management, can't overclock futher than 1.3ghz because I can't adjust voltage to CPU.

Btw, WM has 65k colors as well. :)
    I found something with the tool Leo CPU speed.

Normal when overclocking the phone with the AC on the phone, you can overclock it to 1267 Mhz. When you pull off the AC clock back to 998Mhz.

When want to overclock the phone with no AC on it it go back in 500ms on the 998Mhz.

This is what i find when playing a mp3 file you can overclock the phone to 1276Mhz and don't clock back to 998Mhz in 500ms. When turn off the mp3 file phone back to normal.

So if a littel program playing a mp3 file sillens on background the phone can run must faster.

Can some else test it? So it not only my phone.
    True, I have uninstalled and removed it from Windows/Startup folder,now much better.