[INFO] Here are pictures comparing Transformer's LCD to Xoom's LCD (viewing angles)

Search This thread

dustindw

May 8, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I wanted to bring some pictures I took last night to the forum. As a Xoom owner (now former, just took it back) and in anticipation of the Transformer's release, I scoured the internet over the past few weeks in search of some good comparison pictures between the Xoom's LCD and the Transformer's IPS LCD. At the time, there were not a ton of photos comparing these two specific devices.

I decided to setup my tripod and try to capture the viewing angle differences of these two displays while I still had both devices in my possession. Both devices were at 100% brightness, and I let the camera choose the shutter speed (aperture priority - Nikon D200). Some of the shutter speeds selected made the overall image darker, but it still gives a good idea of the color and contrast differences between the two displays (in addition to viewing angle differences). My goal wasn't to compare brightness - both devices are more or less on par in that area.

If anyone was on the fence regarding the two devices, maybe these images will offer better insight into one of the most important aspects of a tablet - the display. The price gap is big enough, and the screen technology is different enough (all in favor of the Transformer), that someone being on the fence regarding these two devices is hard for me to imagine. You never know though.

You can view the flickr stream here. (25 total images)

The flickr stream description mentions this - but I'll mention it here too: The Xoom is on the LEFT or the TOP, and the Transformer is on the RIGHT or the BOTTOM in the pictures.

I hope someone finds these pictures interesting.

I have attached one of them here.

Attachments

• Xoom_vs_Transformer.jpg
    Xoom_vs_Transformer.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,008

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
Wow....look at that difference. Are you able to do the Asus vs the Acer? Or anyone able to?

bassil2022

Oct 1, 2008
Carbondale
couple of the pics xoom is better (or you can say brighter), but the most is to Transformer.
I don't like the strong brightness on the xoom specially in the reading part. I like feel it will hurt my eyes after while of reading. On the other hand, smooth colors in the Transformer, and easy on the eye.

Thanks for showing us the differences.

dfin13

Aug 23, 2007
Memphis, TN
Not as dramatic a difference as I expected (colors wash out, but things are still legible, unlike the gTab), but the Transformer still wins, especially with the price difference.

CalvinH

Apr 26, 2009
Thank you for taking your time and posting the pictures.

The xoom looks a little overexposed, but kind of I thought there would be more different. Seeing them side by side I think the xoom, not having a IPS screen, has a very nice one (compared to others I have seen in other tablets).

Regards.

dotpro

Apr 23, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks for posting it. This should make it little easier to convince a couple of friends who are on the fence (iPADers!).

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
x2 on the Xoom versus Transformer - that picture is very accurate.

The Xoom also has a bluish tint that bugs me (common TFT issue, I believe). The Transformer IPS screen color balance is better, imo.

tjb433

Mar 16, 2011
Wow, I was debating between a few tablets, by with the support the transformer is getting here on xda, and seeing these pictures, I'm pretty much sold on waiting for the transformer

Sent from my Inspire 4g using XDA Premium app

dustindw

May 8, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Not as dramatic a difference as I expected (colors wash out, but things are still legible, unlike the gTab), but the Transformer still wins, especially with the price difference.

You are right ... it is not terrible - and to be honest, I probably could have continued to use the Xoom and been perfectly happy. The price difference played a pretty big role and contributed a lot to wanting to switch to the Transformer. I suspect that there would have always been a thought in the back of my mind bugging me about how the Xoom's screen "could have been better."

Overall, I love the difference in the screen though - it has certainly helped me in a number of practical ways where I was previously disappointed with the Xoom's screen performance in regards to viewing angles and color. Specifically while the Xoom was sitting flat on my desk at work - things were hard(er) to read due to the wash out and loss of contrast at the angle I was viewing it at.

There is another Xoom screen artifact to mention here too. If anyone has ever seen a Xoom's screen when portrait mode, then maybe you have noticed. You could see horizontal lines in the actual panel itself for every row of pixels - most noticeably on a white background. I've read other reviews stating the same thing. I have a friend at work who also noticed the same thing on his Xoom. It wasn't noticeable when in landscape orientation. It was easy to overlook though and not a deal breaking issue for me. The Transformer's IPS LCD does NOT do this.

mustafazr

Apr 23, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Wow....look at that difference. Are you able to do the Asus vs the Acer? Or anyone able to?

I don't have pictures but I compared the Acer to my NC yesterday, also an IPS screen, and I can say with certainty that I saw really comparable results to the Xoom v Asus comparison. Even dead on, Acer had slightly washed colors when compared to an IPS screen and at angles > 45... well it was pretty hopeless for the Acer while the NC was perfectly visible and vibrate.

Regardless to say, Acer went back to BB last night and waiting for my Asus to come in tomorrow.

dustindw

May 8, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I wanted to bring some pictures I took last night to the forum. As a Xoom owner (now former, just took it back) and in anticipation of the Transformer's release, I scoured the internet over the past few weeks in search of some good comparison pictures between the Xoom's LCD and the Transformer's IPS LCD. At the time, there were not a ton of photos comparing these two specific devices.

I decided to setup my tripod and try to capture the viewing angle differences of these two displays while I still had both devices in my possession. Both devices were at 100% brightness, and I let the camera choose the shutter speed (aperture priority - Nikon D200). Some of the shutter speeds selected made the overall image darker, but it still gives a good idea of the color and contrast differences between the two displays (in addition to viewing angle differences). My goal wasn't to compare brightness - both devices are more or less on par in that area.

If anyone was on the fence regarding the two devices, maybe these images will offer better insight into one of the most important aspects of a tablet - the display. The price gap is big enough, and the screen technology is different enough (all in favor of the Transformer), that someone being on the fence regarding these two devices is hard for me to imagine. You never know though.

The flickr stream description mentions this - but I'll mention it here too: The Xoom is on the LEFT or the TOP, and the Transformer is on the RIGHT or the BOTTOM in the pictures.

For anyone interested in reading some more "general thoughts" between the two screens, I have finally published the blog post that I started the night I posted these pictures.

http://dustinwilkins.com/2011/05/03/it-is-all-about-the-screen-transformer-vs-xoom/

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Reactions: ock

iamdata

Jun 2, 2008
this post makes me feel so much better about buying the transformer having cancelled the Xoom, as pc world delayed me. I saved 100 pounds too! well 50 including the dock im still waiting on...

mcarrion78

Jun 19, 2010
Fayetteville NC
I have had my xoom for almost 3 weeks now and have no problem with how my screen looks from any viewing angle cuz the main angle I'm looking at is right in front of me. That's how all these devices are designed to be looked at. Not like a tv from various different angles. so I don't even understand why people complain about how a screen looks from a different angle. If its really that important to u plug it up to your tv via hdmi. Then see if u can still complain. I love my xoom. Yeah the price is a lil steep. But I work with electronics and if there's 1 I've learned in 12 years its you get what you pay for. Wanna cheap price. More then likely you'll have a cheaply made product

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

ejacobson

May 2, 2011
And this is important for those of us with kids that love fingerpainting or playing Angry Birds with you! I love how they are now able to sit next to me comfortably and not have to peer right at the screen to get the viewing angle just right.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For anyone interested in reading some more "general thoughts" between the two screens, I have finally published the blog post that I started the night I posted these pictures.

http://dustinwilkins.com/2011/05/03/it-is-all-about-the-screen-transformer-vs-xoom/

Music? Did you say music? Now I must know.... is your ID the same on last.fm, because anyone who listens to Shearwater and The National gets a thumbs up from me!
    for those curious the screen used in the xoom is a "VA" panel, a bit better then tft
    better audio (speakers and audio out), more memory, sturdier construction, microusb port, 5ghz wifi. it's only $100 more than the tf and does have some advantages. plus,as was mentioned earlier, i too look at mydevice head on so extreme angles dont mean much.

this screen on the tf isnt as good as the ipads ips.

i hate typeing on hc its so laggy and the tf randomy loses touches.

I was a big Xoom supporter when it first came out, and still have my Xoom to compare against the TF. Yes, the Xoom has nice build quality, audio is somewhat better (but hardly worth noting; neither has great audio), more memory but then you're comparing the 16GB to the 32GB but saying the Xoom is only $100 more (of course, it's actually $200 more within the same context). The 5GHz wifi would matter if the system could support faster speeds, but it can't: 5GHz Xoom performance is pretty much identical to 2.4GHz TF performance due to inherent limits in mobile chipsets today.

However, the Xoom still doesn't support the microSD card slot, and the chintzy AC connection always worried me. And my TF performs better than my Xoom, and has been updated twice to the Xoom's one (relatively minor) update. And yes, the Xoom has just as many things to fix as the TF, and probably more.

But, finally, I'll say this: the screen on my TF is orders of magnitude better than the Xoom's. The Xoom has poorer viewing angles and horrible colors--it's terribly cold (blue) compared to the TF, which has much, much warmer (and more natural) colors. Even if everything else where the same, I'd opt for the TF just for the screen.