[Howto] Fix "Battery Low - Cannot program"

Search This thread

Tyler83

Sep 30, 2009
Just a quick question. After reading this topic and the original topic linked in the OP, it's still not really clear to me if the cable has to be plugged to the battery or to the phone pins. Can anyone explain me the correct procedure? tx

lolzas

Oct 1, 2011
Tyler83 - It should be plugged into the battery pins (there are 4 of them in the back)
what happens if my battery is just fine and I still do it? nothing?

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
When I went to plug in the usb from the hack onto the laptop..i get this message
"Power Surge on Hub Port"..... "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. For assisatance in solving this problem, click this message."

The only options i get is to reset the usb or to close it..

The light on the phone doesn't turn on.. but if i unplug the usb from the hack and plug in the regular usb onto the phone's regular port then the white light does come on..

Any solutions?

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
Does it matter if I use a usb cable from mini usb or micro usb? I have been told they carry same output.

Sent from my MB501 using Tapatalk

visualist6x6

Apr 22, 2010
Motorola Razr 5G
OnePlus 8T
It works!

Thank you to all who have posted this useful info!

I hooked up my battery to my modified cable and plugged the cable into the AC adapter. It charged the battery enough so I could re-flash. 2 quick items: 1) check with a VOM to make sure you are connecting the correct wires and with the proper polarity. 2) connect the wires only to the battery. That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll only lose a battery. I hooked up the cable to an AC adapter because I didn't want to risk losing my usb on my laptop.

TheYama

Jul 24, 2008
Prag
Hi all,
I have the same problem. But I have for my lucky second battery - full charged ;)

The lesson that it is better to fully charge the battery, before we try to flash Defy ;)

ejstubbs

Jul 6, 2011
Edinburgh
Does it matter if I use a usb cable from mini usb or micro usb? I have been told they carry same output.
The voltage on the power pins is the same regardless of whether it's USB, mini-USB or micro-USB. Think about it for a minute: it comes out of a USB port on your PC and goes along a plan ol' bit of wire to a micro-USB port on your Defy. It's going to be the same voltage.

When I went to plug in the usb from the hack onto the laptop..i get this message

"Power Surge on Hub Port"..... "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. For assisatance in solving this problem, click this message."
The only options i get is to reset the usb or to close it.

Any solutions?
Yes: don't use the USB port on your laptop. There is a limit to the current they can provide and they will shut down if the device connected to them tries to draw too much. In the case of the hack, there's no control being exercised over the current draw and if your battery is flat (which is why you're having to do this after all) then it can very likely pull more current than the laptop wants to supply through its USB port. You might have more success plugging your hack cable in to a powered USB hub, if you have one.

Reactions: dilfatx

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
The voltage on the power pins is the same regardless of whether it's USB, mini-USB or micro-USB. Think about it for a minute: it comes out of a USB port on your PC and goes along a plan ol' bit of wire to a micro-USB port on your Defy. It's going to be the same voltage.

Yes: don't use the USB port on your laptop. There is a limit to the current they can provide and they will shut down if the device connected to them tries to draw too much. In the case of the hack, there's no control being exercised over the current draw and if your battery is flat (which is why you're having to do this after all) then it can very likely pull more current than the laptop wants to supply through its USB port. You might have more success plugging your hack cable in to a powered USB hub, if you have one.

Thanks for the response. As far as the battery I found a friend with a defy and used their battery and my defy still didn't turn on.

I will try plugging mine with my battery into wall instead if laptop and hope it works
:)

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
Also is it possible if someone can post a picture of the connections and the battery. I would like to ensure I'm doing this correctly.

tallmantim

Dec 3, 2008
Managed to get it working, installed an SBF, but now phone is fully bricked - completely dead. Will not turn on with battery or with USB power connectors.

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
OK i just did the usb hack and plugged it in the wall instead of laptop.. no light came on and if i press the power button the white light flashes once then turns off.

I then plugged it into the laptop usb and saw that the laptop for first time since this no battery issue recognized the Defy.. it said looking for drivers and then a pop up message came up which said "Motorola Defy ready for Flash". I got excited and loaded up RSD lite and the sbf.. only to be dissapointed because it couldn't recognize the phone.. I noticed that the laptop had lost connection with the phone once again..

m11kkaa

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2011
Today it was the first time I got the "battery low"-message and your trick was very helpful. Within 15minutes my defy was working like before.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
I still can't get this to work..

Also I have noticed that when I looked in the computer device manager I can see that the defy is plugged in with its Moto usb drivedrs and a message that says Motorola flash interface.. there are no options other than uninstall the motorola flash interface..

its been days and i keep trying this with no luck..I feel I'm doing something wrong as so many people have benefited from this..

please help

m11kkaa

Jan 20, 2011
Is your Defy still showing "battery low - cannot program" or is it ready to program now?
If not you didn't correctly connected the cables to the battery.

If it's ready to program it should work. The only difference to what I did is that I used sbf_flash to flash the firmware because I'm using Linux.

Another problem could be, that you have an defective contact between the phone and your +5V-source. This could result in an aborted flash-process.

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
Is your Defy still showing "battery low - cannot program" or is it ready to program now?
If not you didn't correctly connected the cables to the battery.

If it's ready to program it should work. The only difference to what I did is that I used sbf_flash to flash the firmware because I'm using Linux.

Another problem could be, that you have an defective contact between the phone and your +5V-source. This could result in an aborted flash-process.

My phone doesn't show a message. Only has white light appear when connected to laptop. Today I used a friend's defy to charge my battery then put my battery back in my phone and still will not boot.

m11kkaa

Jan 20, 2011
I think you have another problem, too.
It's possible to brick your defy so it won't show anything on the screen.
This happens if you cancle the flash-process or flash a ROM with a lower CG-version.

I think this thread should help you: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076735

Last edited:
Reactions: dilfatx

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
I think you have another problem, too.
It's possible to brick your defy so it won't show anything on the screen.
This happens if you cancle the flash-process or flash a ROM with a lower CG-version.

I think this thread should help you: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076735

Before coming here I used that method and unlike the comment on that thread red lite did not detect it. I figured my phone needed this hack to get it going. When I get home today I will try again to load red lite.

dilfatx

Feb 6, 2008
Austin
Now that I have 100 percent charge to my batter.. my phone will no longer light up the white light while plugged into the laptop..

I have tried holding volume up and power and nothing happens.. screen is black and no lights.. tried again while plugged into laptop with same results.

Before when batter had no charge I would easily get the white light on laptop..now that I have full charge I get no light..

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Just figured it out.. I haven't seen this mentioned before on these thread..

on RSD lite

make sure to have First Come First Serve checked!

After doing that my phone was easily detected with the full charge batter and I was able to install sbf file..

I'm so happy.. thanks to all for the effort :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This worked for me, your mileage may vary. You might end up ruining your phone and even hurting yourself in the process. Do this on your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for whatever illness, fires, explosions or biblical plagues that may or may not befall you after following these steps. You have been warned.

Props to these guys for leading the way: http://modmymobile.com/forums/8-gui...w-flash-phone-battery-low-cannot-program.html

Well this was scary... I installed the System Recovery app last night but after clicking "recovery boot" I just got the Motorola "M" logo and nothing else. Booting into recovery, I got the message "Battery low - Cannot program". Odd... there was about 80% charge left when I rebooted. Ah well, I let it sit in the charger overnight. This morning: "Battery low - Cannot program". Not good. After some googling I found out that I had two options:
    1) Send it in for repair, claim that it just suddenly stopped booting. Cross my fingers they don't fix it and see it being rooted, running a custom rom with JIT, deodex, overclocking, undervolting and just about every single hack available for the Defy.

2) Go McGyver. This is what I did:

Get a USB cable, cut the off the B plug (the one that plugs into the device) and strip away the shielding, revealing the 4 individual wires inside: White, Green, Red and Black. Red is +5V DC and Black is ground. strip a few (1-2) mm's off each and gently push them into the + and - slots on the battery. Apply some tape to keep them in place, but don't cover the other connectors. Now plug the battery back in, a tight fit, but possible if you've peeled back the shielding and the white and green wires so that only Black and Red are actually being crammed in there with the battery.

mcgyver.JPG

Be VERY careful that the wires are ONLY touching their appropriate terminals. Otherwise you might fry your phone and/or make your battery explode. Red goes to the + terminal, Black goes to the - terminal

Plug the business end of the newly modded usb cable into your computer, thus allowing 5V DC to flow directly to your phone and battery. This is basically like jump leads for a car, but 5V and for a phone :)

Get the bootloader going (Volume up + power on) and you should now see a message along the lines of "ready to program, connect USB data cable". This is where you connect your phone to the micro USB cable you have lying around (Please tell me you didn't just kill that cable to make your USB jump leads) and connect the other end to your computer. Using RSD Lite, you should now be able to flash an SBF to the phone, and be on your merry way soon hereafter.
    This is the safer way to charge just a battery.. you dont need to cut any wires anymore. USB battery charger for Defy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BF5X-Battery-...289712?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4157863df0 or just a charger for 3.99$ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-Defy...307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63866163
    Motorola_MB525_MB520_DEFY_Battery______.jpg

Motorola_BF5X_Defy_15.jpg

I have used the similar charger for xperia x1 and it really works good ! :)
    It still makes me smile when a new users posts that this has helped him/her save a phone :)

Edit: Don't y'all be afraid to click that "Thanks" button in the OP ;)
    some more screens

i think this is a "secure way to do this" .. was my way, didnt rescue my defy, but
    VOL UP key before BATTERY IN ... may have... maybe this helps someone :)
    charged first, flashed later
    OK, I did the same... Ran out of battery in the middle of the flash... System does not boot up, does not charge, does not leave bootloader because of corrupt flash...

Good thing I have a lab power supply (regulated, stabilized voltage from 3-30V) on my desk (don't ask ;)) and some nice clips to connect the power.

Some notes:
    • 3V is enough to flash. (Battery was down to 2.5V, which is not enough)
    • 5V (USB) might be a bit much (battery has 3.7V rating) - so don't leave it connected for too long...
    • Please don't connect the battery to this setup. Unregulated charging of Li-Ion/Li-Pol battery might result in fires!

Well, system restored, charging again! HAPPY!